Start by marking “A Plague Among Us: A Chautauqua Murder Mystery (Mimi Goldman Chautauqua Mysteries Book 8)” as Want to Read:

A Plague Among Us: A Chautauqua Murder Mystery

(Mimi Goldman Chautauqua Mysteries #8)

When Al Martin, the editor of a satiric newspaper in Chautauqua, N.Y., reportedly dies of COVID-19, the local consensus is: good riddance.

A sister suspects foul play. She wonders why Al was cremated in a hurry.

The police stay out of it.

So it takes reporter and relentless snoop Mimi Goldman to try to find which of Al's haters— including an estranged wife, three bitter sibli
Kindle Edition
Published July 1st 2021

To ask other readers questions about A Plague Among Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Plague Among Us

Start your review of A Plague Among Us: A Chautauqua Murder Mystery (Mimi Goldman Chautauqua Mysteries Book 8)
"Avonna
Sep 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Check out all my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

A PLAGUE AMONG US: A Chautauqua Murder Mystery (Mimi Goldman Chautauqua Mysteries Book #8) by Deb Pines is another charming character driven amateur sleuth mystery in the Mimi Goldman series. This book is easily read as a standalone, as are all the books in this series.

Mimi Goldman is a reporter for Chautauqua’s The Daily and always ends up getting involved in her town’s mysteries. When Al Martin, the editor of a satiric newspaper sup
Kathy
Sep 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Al Martin didn’t seem to think Covid 19 was enough of a plague on society. He thought it was better to come up with more plagues and associate them with people. Find a way to make fun. In a small town where everyone knows everyone, that is a very dangerous hobby. So did he really die of Covid? Or did someone want his money and put a “plague” on good old Al?

An enjoyable book. If I tell you that the amateur sleuths are a former newspaper reporter and her friend, 94-year-old Sylvia, do not think th
Pat Fayo Reviews
Sep 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was my first read by Deb Pines and I found it very enjoyable. This is book #8 of the Chautauqua Murder Mystery Series but it can be also read as a standalone. What a rendition of our past summer of 2020 living through the mysterious COVID. The book was very fast paced and intriguing that you couldn’t wait to turn the page and read on. The author was very accurate in how we approached and managed the lockdown but in humorous way. The book is for all ages and generations. It is a comical but ...more
Andrea Neal
Jul 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
From its clever title to its unexpected plot twist at the end, "A Plague Among Us" is a lively and informative memorial to the Covid-infected summer of 2020. Readers familiar with Deb Pines’ Chautauqua Murder Mystery series will recognize the author’s trademark characters, pithy puns, and staccato writing style. Pines, a copy editor at the New York Post, loves double entendre and keeps it coming, along with fast-paced dialogue and page-turning chapter endings. Two features distinguish this seque ...more
Debbie Rozier
Sep 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is the 8th book in the series and even though this is my first read, I never felt lost or confused or left out that I hadn’t read any of the others.

This was an enjoyable cozy mystery that was a quick read. I liked the short chapters and the dialogue that kept this book moving at a brisk pace.

I liked, Mimi, our main character, and she reminded me of a 2021 Jessica Fletcher from Murder She Wrote. She had all kinds of connections and didn’t think twice about asking direct questions to those pe
Joan
Sep 09, 2021 rated it liked it
This is a fun cozy mystery for readers who like elderly female amateur sleuths, geezer gumshoes as a husband calls them. And I really liked that this mystery actually takes place during the COVID pandemic. In fact, the wearing of masks prevents a suspect from being outed as being someone other than who she claims. And the murder itself is first diagnosed as a death from COVID. It takes the relentless Mimi to to show otherwise.

I always like to learn something when I read fiction. This novel conta
Lil  Jen
Aug 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A good mystery until the end. Deb Pines brings Chautauqua alive off the pages as you following along with Mimi to figure out if COVID can be blamed or something more sinister for the death of Al Martin.
Lynne
Aug 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Deb’s Chautauqua Murder Mysteries are such fun and quick reads. Entertaining and hard to put down.
Shannon
Jul 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Another well done Chautauqua mystery featuring Mimi Goldman. Perfect summer reading!
Nancy
Sep 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I wonder if anyone actually liked Al Martin. It seems as if intense dislike may be a mild way of describing most everyone’s feelings towards him.

Maybe meanness and ill health finally caught up with him. Maybe COVID-19. Or maybe not.

Mimi and her friend, Sylvia, decide to check it out after his sister Shannon suspects it wasn’t a death by natural causes. A hurry up cremation of the body just adds to that.

There are plenty of suspects including a caretaker covered by a big mask. Mimi has her job cut
Sharon
Aug 10, 2021 rated it liked it
Quick read and as always, fun to read about Chq in the summer. I’ve read all the Chq mysteries and found this one to be a little less enjoyable than the previous books. The characters were not well written and a few times, I had to circle back to remember who was who (I had to look up Sal, Terri and Rob to remember who they were more than halfway into the book.) Even Tom was pretty bland and he looks to be playing a larger role in future books. Basically, I really didn’t care about any of them. ...more
Pam Gudeman
Jul 22, 2021
Deb Pines
Jul 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Anita Yancey
Julie
Nicole Martin
Sep 03, 2021

• The Madness of Crowds (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #17)
  • The Secret Staircase (Victorian Village Mysteries, #3)
  • Missing at Christmas (West Investigations #2)
  • Pursuit of the Truth (West Investigations #1)
  • KYLE & COREY and the Game-Store Mystery
  • Trace of Doubt
  • Never Enough (Never2Late4Love Book 1)
  • The Abberley Beach Murders (Det. Dove Milson #3)
  • The Vampire Gideon's Suicide Hotline and Halfway House for Orphaned Girls
  • Shakespeare for Squirrels
  • The Galaxy, and the Ground Within (Wayfarers, #4)
  • Constance (Constance #1)
  • Cold Case Double Cross (Cold Case Investigators #2)
  • Cold Case Takedown (Cold Case Investigators #1)
  • Clockwork Boys (Clocktaur War, #1)
  • Luna Loves Biscuits
  • The Price You Pay for College: An Entirely New Road Map for the Biggest Financial Decision Your Family Will Ever Make
  • Let's Talk! Going to the Zoo
A Brooklyn, NY, native who grew up in Miami Beach, Fla., Deb Pines writes mysteries by day and award-winning tabloid headlines for the New York Post by night.

A Brown University grad, Deb was also a reporter at the New York Law Journal, Indianapolis Star and various other publications before she got bitten by the mystery-writing bug.

Her 2013 debut Mimi Goldman mystery, set in the Chautauqua Institu

Mimi Goldman Chautauqua Mysteries (8 books)
  • In the Shadow of Death  (Mimi Goldman Chautauqua Mysteries, #1)
  • Beside Still Waters: A Chautauqua Murder Mystery (Mimi Goldman, #4)
  • Deliver Us From Evil (Mimi Goldman Chautauqua Mysteries #2)
  • Vengeance Is Mine: A Chautauqua Murder Mystery (Mimi Goldman CHQ Murder Mysteries #5)
  • The Fruit of Lies: A Chautauqua Murder Mystery (Chautauqua Murder Mysteries Book 6)
  • Gone Fishin': A Grisly Chautauqua Short Story
  • Crooked Paths: A Chautauqua Murder Mystery (Mimi Goldman Chautauqua Mysteries Book 7)

News & Interviews

When author Amor Towles published his second novel, A Gentleman in Moscow, in 2016, everything changed.   Towles’ first novel, Rules of...