Start by marking “A Spell of Rowans” as Want to Read:
A Spell of Rowans

A Spell of Rowans

Raised by a narcissistic mother, the Rowan children’s magical talents were twisted to fit her needs. When Rachel dies, her children must confront the past to have a future.

Rachel Rowan could sniff out secrets and her antique shop, Rosemary Thyme, was a front to torment the residents of Grimsby. When she dies, her children are faced with the deadly fallout of blackmail, mur
Kindle Edition
Published October 26th 2021 by Rook and Castle Press

To ask other readers questions about A Spell of Rowans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Spell of Rowans

Start your review of A Spell of Rowans
Ellie Spencer (catching up)
Rounded down from roughly 3.5 stars ⭐️

A Spell of Rowan’s follows three siblings, who are thrown back together after the sudden death of their mother. The siblings have a dark past, with many buried secrets. They also have special powers but will it be enough to protect them?

I started off absolutely loving this book, I did not want to put it down! I loved the powers of each of the siblings, which created such unique characters. Unfortunately for me, I lost interest in this book about half way th
Rosh
Mar 17, 2022 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, booksirens
In a Nutshell: This started off excellently for me but began dipping around the midway mark. The finale left me disappointed. Nevertheless, it’s a unique story and deserves credit for its imaginative characters.

Story:
Three siblings, who have been in touch only virtually since a few years, meet up in their quaint hometown of Grimsby after their mother’s death. What makes this unlike any such situation is that their mother was a narcissistic woman who had made their lives miserable. Also, the trio
Byrd Nash
Jul 06, 2021 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: byrd-nash
⭐ Wow! I had a huge respond to the giveaway - If you didn't win, 𝐈 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐨𝐧 𝐬𝐚𝐥𝐞 𝐚𝐭 𝐀𝐦𝐚𝐳𝐨𝐧 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐚 𝐟𝐞𝐰 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬 - this is the lowest price it will be until December, when I do my second sale of the year.

⭐⭐⭐
𝐌𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐜 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐞𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐬
The Rowan family: Victoria, whose empathic talent reads hidden feelings. Phillipa, with a glamour that bewitches. Liam, who can touch an object to reveal its past. When their mother is murdered, and one stands accused, it will be up to Vic to right old
Srivalli Rekha
**Happy Publication Day**

********

4.2 Stars

Trigger Warning: Nonsexual child abuse, suicide, attempted sexual assault.

Vic, aka, Victoria is called home to Grimsby by her elder sister Philippa. Their mother, the infamous narcissist, Rachel Rowan has died, and her three children have to settle the details. Vic agrees to her Philippa and their younger brother Liam in the town.

She’s been away for too long, trying to escape the suffocating life with their mother. However, she knows that nothing invol
Louise H  -  ⭐ Life in the Book Lane Reviews ⭐
From the blurb I was expecting something a little more paranormal, a little more fantasy, for want of a better word. It turned out to be a much more contemporary, a murder mystery with minor magical elements, and I was surprisingly very OK with that. I really liked the author's voice and could connect with the main characters, so that their feelings were my feelings.

We experience the entire story through the eyes of Victoria (Vic) Rowan, a headstrong and impulsive character with a complex histo
Pauline Reid
Aug 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
How can you be the centre of attention when you aren't even alive? A mother, normally the main function, the main artery of the family circle has proven to be the very opposite. She had petrified a number of people throughout the community, even towards her own children. She left a trail of disruption, swindled a fist full of people. One member of the family is being blamed for her death, so, we have murder, but who is it?
I want to thank NetGalley and Rook and Castle Press for the ARC of A Spel
N.N. Light
With their mother dead, will the Rowan siblings have to atone for their mother’s evil deeds? Fifteen years ago, Victoria Rowan left Grimsby and never regretted it, until her mother, Rachel, dies. Ding, dong, she’s finally dead. No remorse, just anger at all that took place eats away at Vic. Anger turns to fury when the police arrest her brother Liam, who’s on the spectrum, for a murder he didn’t commit. Three magical siblings must join forces in order to rid their souls of an abusive past to bri ...more
Eve Jane
Aug 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Trigger warnings: childhood abuse, attempted sexual assault, drowning, murder, suicide. Not very graphic but read at your own discretion.

This is the weirdest, most wonderful mishmash of genres. It is adult general fiction with a little bit of fantasy and a whole lot of mystery that also tackles childhood trauma.

I've seen some users categorise this as romance and it is very much NOT a romance. If you go into this with that expectation you're going to be disappointed. Throughout the story ther
Laurie EponaPR
Jul 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A new genre for this Author, and she did not disappoint!

Anyone who has read Byrd Nash before, will not be surprised when I say she presents a book with a well thought out plot, great character development, and relationships; with a charming node to classic literary tales that are well known and adored.

For any reader who personally walks a magical path, they will likely come to greatly appreciate the accurate and truthful representation of magic being used in one's everyday life.
In the absence
Trishita Das
May 16, 2022 rated it really liked it
The novel had a fantastic start. It developed a plot that I couldn’t put down, with just the right combination of mystery and magical realism and a rapid speed. Even if the whys and hows of the magical components were not addressed, I liked every minute of it. However, the novel shifts its concentration toward a criminal investigation in the middle, which looked like a sudden shift in focus. The tale then attempts to strike a balance between a crime thriller and a fantasy drama and succeeds just ...more
Jenn
Aug 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Love the book. Not for those who are triggered easily by narcissism or the abuse associated with it. It is more of a dark novel but full of magic realism. Looking forward to the next two books to come in this series. No spoilers but if you like books by Alice Hoffman and Sarah Addison Allen or even Barbara Michaels you will enjoy this book.
Linda Lou
purely for shock value.

Rachel Rowan has always been a force to be reckoned with; but now she’s dead and somehow still manages to create havoc amongst her children and the townspeople of Grimsby. Her three grown children have finally had enough.

The story takes place in a town where everyone knows everyone and their business. I know, because I grew up in such place. The story’s perspective is told through Vic, the middle Rowan, who left Grimsby 15 years ago under mysterious circumstances and neve
Elizabeth Close
Aug 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
OMG this story line was amazing, I was lucky enough to be a BETA reader for this book and the first time I read it straight thru because I needed to know what was going to happen next and couldn't wait to do the job at hand.
The main characters were well written and I felt for them through out this suspense filled story. I would recommend this to everyone
Rowan Creech
Jul 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This title caught my eye at first because it had my name in it and I am so glad that it did! It was a fascinating book with wonderful characters and such a unique story. I really enjoyed it!
Merricat Alexander Edwards
Oct 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, kindle
~ I was given an ARC Copy of this Book from the Author, but all thoughts in this review are my own ~

A few years ago, I was very fortunate to get my hands on one of Byrd's Books Never Date a Siren and from that moment on I have been hooked to her writing. When it comes to A Spell of Rowans I am even more hooked than before. Starting off, yes this is somewhat different than her other books, but that doesn't make it any less as good if not even better than the others.

From the first page of this
Rowan
Feb 13, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
3.5 stars!
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an e-arc of this book! My opinions are my own.

Ah, with a title like that, how could I not be curious about this book? I pretty much requested it at Netgalley before even knowing what it was about. I didn't actually expect all that much, so I was surprised to find a well-written story that had me intrigued!

This book is about the Rowan family. We see the story unfold through the eyes of Victoria Rowan, one of the three children
Marjorie
Oct 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A woman with an impressive city job and big name connections goes back to the small town she grew up in after her mother's death and is confronted with a murder mystery and her old flame. The elements might sound familiar, but this is no Hallmark-esque story or cozy mystery. Byrd Nash has managed to build and incredibly deep, nuanced story of three siblings, their pained and tortured past, the current mess their mother left behind, and the future they choose to forge for themselves.

I loved the
Emily MacDonald
Oct 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book had everything I loved! Between the aspects of murder-mystery, magical talents, sibling healing, and even a bit of romance, this book was hard to put down. There were lots of likable characters and many surprises throughout the plot. I was invested in the story from beginning to end.
Korinne Tande
Aug 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Murder?...Arson?...Theft? Oh, my! Quite an interesting (and at times, very sad) family! I downloaded this book along with a couple other books. I plodded through the other two and then started reading this one. I so enjoyed this book that I scolded myself for not reading it sooner. Love this family of "mysterious" siblings, and the additional characters that add to the supernatural feel of the story. The beginning is great with quite a hook describing the nasty family dynamics. What a horrible m ...more
Bronwyn Kotze
Jul 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A truly remarkeable book about love, family and forgiveness with a touch of magic.
Sue Plant
Aug 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this book

love this sort of book

magic and curses with a bit of murder and blackmail thrown in as well, whats not to like

the rowan children each have gifts

ding dong the witch is dead...that's what the rowans siblings said to each other

interesting read, getting to know rowan family and their gifts, hope this is the beginning of a series as i really enjoyed this book

a new author for me but one i will be keeping an eye out for
Anna Hirsch
Nov 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A Spell of Rowans by Byrd Nash
5 Stars

I have read a few of Byrd Nash’s books and this has to be my all time favourite. It’s perfect! There is drama, murder, suspense and magic. The thing that I love best about the book is that the main character is not perfect. Victoria Rowan and her siblings are broken. Raised by a mother so horrendous, they were crushed. Each trying their best to survive her cruelty. Victoria returns home, a decade of being gone, after her mother’s death. Secrets are revealed
Chad Barrus
Oct 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a story of three siblings who have unusual abilities and the dysfunctional home they came from with a mother who was truly evil and a father who wouldn’t protect his children.

As adults the siblings still can’t forget the abuse they suffered especially the younger two. Upon their mother’s death new revelations are revealed about her and the hold she had on some people in the town they grew up in. It seems their mother brought out the worst in a couple of townspeople for the middle sibling
Cassie The Ghost
Oct 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I want to thank the author, publisher and NetGalley/BookSirens for allowing me to review this ARC with honesty.

The premise of this story hooked me first: family secrets, witches, and blackmail. I started reading this story and had a hard time putting it down. It's both serious with some of the topics (check for trigger warnings)brought up, funny with snipe comments from characters as well as inner monologue. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's true there was "as much" magic as there w
Alexis (Lexi.84.02)
Sep 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
The cover of this book is absolutely stunning, and the description intrigued me; so of course I had to read it. This book follows The Rowan Family. All of them have magical powers and each have their own past. One thing they all have in common, however, is their controlling mother Racheal. Racheal owns a Rosemary Thyme store and is known in town as a scorned woman who you do not want to be intertwined with.
After Racheal's death, her 3 children Vic, Phillipa and Liam come together and use their
Billie
Oct 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing

This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and found myself second guessing every thought I had continuously.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I read a complimentary advance copy of the book; this is my voluntary and honest review.
Kate
Oct 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Paranormal murder mystery

An excellent story about siblings with paranormal abilities coming together to settle the estate of their evil mother. There are several twists and turns and red herrings in solving mysteries and murders. I love the dynamics between the siblings; they were so in sync with each other. I loved Pip’s charm and big sister protectiveness, Vic’s emotional caring and sass, and Liam’s knowledge and truth telling. Triggers for abuse, rape, and suicide. Overall, sensitive subjects
Chante Marie
Nov 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
~ ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion ~

This is the first book I've read by this author and I wasn't disappointed. Although more contemporary than I anticipated I must say I really enjoyed it. Deals with a range of aspects - and I've come to find that I like magical realism and this book displayed that well; abuse, trauma, family - healing and no over the top romance. If you find yourself like me, enjoying this type of magical realism genre I totally recommend.
Sylvia
Oct 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I received this book as an ARC through Book Sirens, this is my unbiased opinion.
Magic has always been a great read for me, along with stories about families and the secrets they keep. This book had everything that I love in stories. I am a big fan of Alice Hoffman and I could see this author being as prolific in her story telling about families as Hoffman. I also appreciated the manner in which the author addresses the issues of childhood trauma, something we have all dealt with. I will definit
Sina Buchanan Guthrie
Oct 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I started this book thinking it was part of a series I've been reading. It wasn't long before I realized my error and devoured it for itself! The story is about a dysfunctional family who are determined to get beyond their childhood of a hateful mother and a disinterested father.
The three adult children work together to overcome the past and enter a better future. Oh, yes, there is also magic involved and it's believable.
I couldn't put this book down! Byrd Nash is quickly becoming one of my fa
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Elements of the Crown (The Elements of Kamdaria #1-4)
  • Blood Oath (Mafia Elite, #2)
  • Twilight's Curse
  • Ruby Roy and the Murder in the Falls
  • Conveniently Yours (Titans Of Manhattan, #1)
  • Coin for a Dream: And Other Korean Tales
  • Kingdom of Embers (Kingdom Journals, #1)
  • Ashes of Aldyr
  • Vishnar's Revenge
  • Diabolical Sword (The Charm Collector, #1)
  • Born in Darkness (Mafia Elite, #3)
  • 101 Ways to Enjoy Retirement Across America: Find New Passions and Purpose with Creative Activities, Projects, and Hobbies from all 50 States
  • Black Canvas
  • Fate, Frankincense & Funerals
  • Shadows of Doubt (A Crawford Mystery)
  • Born to Fight (Can't Resist You, #1)
  • Born to Fall (Can't Resist You, #2)
See top shelves…
Spinning tales of subtle magic with unexpected twists, Byrd writes the book you need, not the one you expected.

As one reviewer wrote: "When I get a Byrd story, I know I'm in good hands."

Whether it is a Doppelgänger who was once a medieval knight now working in college administration, or an updated Red Riding Hood escaping a post-WWI wolf pack, her characters all feel real.

That Celtic goddess at t