Start by marking “Scary Stories Treasury” as Want to Read:
Scary Stories Treasury

Scary Stories Treasury

(Scary Stories #1-3)

Schwartz's three best-selling collections of scary folklore -- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, and Scary Stories 3 -- are made available in one book, each one in its complete form.

Reviews

"A wonderful collection of tales that range from creepy to silly to haunting. ...Gammell's drawings add just the right touch..." -- John Sci

Published June 1985 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Scary Stories Treasury, please sign up.
Emmy I'd say the age range is meant for 4th-5th graders, but they're pretty creepy, so I would keep that in mind before giving them to a child (of course, …moreI'd say the age range is meant for 4th-5th graders, but they're pretty creepy, so I would keep that in mind before giving them to a child (of course, that's the point, isn't it?)(less)
Tom Myddelten Much of it would be best to read out loud with a group in the dark. Some of the stories include prompts for the reader.

Start your review of Scary Stories Treasury
✨Bean's Books✨
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Still awesome!
These books are filled with short stories written down by the great Alvin Schwartz. These stories are comprised of myths, folklore and urban legends from all over the world. But beware dear reader, these stories may be too scary for you! 😱
Wonderfully written sets of little tales of horror. These stories were a beloved part of my childhood. I can still remember my friends and I staying up late at night sitting in a circle with a flashlight and these books and taking turns reading ou
Megan
I had all three of Schwartz's Scary Stories books as a child, and remember reading them over and over. The tales are mostly re-tellings of classic urban legends. The stories are creepy, but what really made this book great were the disturbing images by Stephen Gammell. I remember staying up late reading these stories and staring at the images with a mixture of fascination and horror.

Seriously, pretend you're a ten year old girl for a second and just look at these.

Now an adult, I went in search
Emm - "That Book You Like is Coming Back in Style"
Just in time for Halloween! The Gammell-illustrated version I believe has enough surreal nightmare fuel to permanently shape someone's actual nightmares into that style for at least the next few decades of their life. Beautiful art but so uncanny and eldritch.
What's really neat about this series is how each book has sort of its own 'character', it even shows in the iconic illustrations as well.

The original book is a mix of quirky ghost stories and American folklore, which like most folklore has
✦BookishlyRichie✦
Usually I would've re-read this in October, but since the movie was coming out I had to crack this scary motherfucker open for the hundredth time. When I was a kid I had all three of these books and the illustrations used to scare the shit out of me. Only two of the stories REALLY scared me and those were "Harold" and "Red Spot" and those two stories are heavily featured in the movie. I can't wait to see the movie this Tuesday and film a Book VS Movie video on it, I think it's going to be a lot ...more
Rachelle
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Don't you ever laugh as a hearse goes by,
For you may be the next to die..."

This book still holds up, I love it just as much now as I did when I first read it as a kid! The Hearse Song is a classic as well as High Beams, The Hook, The Babysitter, & love a good vanishing hitchhiker story. All of creepy folklores greatest hits combined into a great collection!
Maria
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-suspense
I found the folklore very interesting. I learned things I never knew before. The ghost stories were particularly chilly. Considering how deep I was into horror as a teenager these are perfect for that age group, even younger.

The illustrations are horrifying and perfect. Beautiful really. There should be an award.
TraceyL
Cute collection of spooky short stories. The narrator was awesome and actually made them sound scary. A lot were rehashes of old urban legends.
Nakia's Hideaway
4 out of 5 stars! (average for all 3 books)

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - 5 stars

This one was a favorite from my childhood so it was nostalgic to revisit all of the stories again.

Favorites...

The Thing
White Wolf
The Girl Who Stood on Graves
The Wendigo

Finally, all of the stories in the "AAAAAAAAAAAH!" section are perfect for telling spooky stories. Love the instructions included with each story to help yo
Andromeda M31
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-books
If you were born in the 80's, there's no way you escaped reading the Scary Stories books when you were young. This edition collects all three books, along with all those illustrations you remember!

I found the Treasury edition on sale while waiting for the DC to NY bus, and I had to have it. I've pulled it out at several black outs since then to scare my foreign national room mates who recognize some of the stories from versions in their home countries. And yes, they can still be scary to twenty
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
So pumped to see this movie! Review to come.
Travis Davis
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful memories

These books meant so much to me as a youth! What better reason to revisit them before I see the film version tomorrow!!!!
Audra (ouija.reads)
Still just as good as my 90s memories. And just as nightmare inducing.
Harris
Ah, the memories. I recently picked up this omnibus of spooky favorites from childhood, including the three “Scary Stories” books by Alvin Schwartz “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark,” “More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark,” and “Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones” and read them for the first time in my adulthood. I really don’t know what about these dark, macabre, downright creepy tales fascinated me so much as a child; normally, I was terrified of anything remotely scary, having ...more
☠Kayla☠
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These books scared me to death as a kid, but I loved going back and rereading these as an adult and reliving my childhood. I remember sitting outside under a blanket with my best friend and listening to her read these to me. I was so scared she constantly had to reassure me they weren't real and they were just scary stories. Or sitting in the library at school surrounded by classmates as we all read our favorite stories, telling ourselves again that this stuff couldnt happen in real life... or c ...more
Amberle Husbands
I spent my parents' hard earned money at scholastic book fairs, as an elementary school kid, on all three of the individual "Scary Stories" collections. I was thrilled the other day when I saw this treasury in the bookstore, and couldn't resist bringing it home. It combines all three of the collections, and includes the amazing illustrations by Stephen Gammell that absolutely scared the bejeezus out of me as a child!

I have to admit, reading through the stories now, that even as a kid these must
Sab Cornelius
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Because the movie for this series is coming out soon, I decided to re-visit the source of a few childhood traumas I experienced reading this as a kid lol

Honestly though, even when I first read the books in elementary/early middle school; it wasn’t really the stories that bothered me [except the ‘Red Spot’/spider-eggs-in-face story] - it’s the art by Stephen Gammel. That’s what ultimately stuck in my head after all this time, because even know some of the more macabre and surreal art provided for
Legless Corpse
Not too long ago there was announcement that was made that stated Alvin Schwartz’s [god bless his soul] Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark would be making it’s debut on the big screen. Growing up, I am sure many of you may have seen these books in your local library or bookstore. One cannot simply forget the chain smoking pipe skull.

Sadly, I was told that these books were also removed from libraries because of the “offending” artwork that is portrayed by Mr. Stephen Gammell. However, that hardly
Leah
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing says childhood trauma quite like the Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark collection. The stories, it turns out, are not as scary as originally thought. At least, now that I've read the series with the f---ed up illustrations by Stephen Gammell and the good yet heavily sanitized newer illustrations in the reprint. These are best enjoyed with Gammell's haunting artwork, which amplifies the scares and creep factor.

I get nostalgic when I think of this series, which I was first introduced to w
Fifi
*3.5

This was an ok collection of scary stories. The stories themselves were a lot more child friendly than I was expecting but the illustrations are what really boosted the rating for me.

Most of the stories followed the same formula, man/woman sees some supernatural entity and then they disappear never to be seen or heard from again. Or man meets woman, gives her something, man discovers woman is actually dead and her ghost is wearing whatever he gave her.The best stories are the ones that didn'
Chanel
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Justin Nelson
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
In anticipation of the movie inspired by these classics opening, I decided to re-read them. It has been almost 20 years or more since I first read these classics! Would they hold up to a modern, adult reading? By far, yes! Schwartz does a great job of making classic legends and ghost stories timelessly available for young readers. How many young people did these stories terrify growing up?! And, the Gammell illustrations make the whole experience 100x creepier. (And del Toro appears to have capt ...more
nil
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: halloween-reads
3 stars, nostalgia 4 stars

Opted to reflect where it hit me now instead of nostalgia. It is very fun and engaging, and I honestly did not recall the detailed notes and bibliography (because I probably ignored them as a child). The illustrations continue to be my favorite part about this collection.
Hannah Wales
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These stories are so much fun. I read all of them when I was younger and revisited them since the movie is coming out. I loved getting a chance to go over them again. Such a great entry into horror.
Korey
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved these books as a child and I wanted to revisit them after seeing the Scary Stories movie. The illustrations still hold up marvelously. I was impressed by them even as an adult. The stories are short, simply and directly told but most of them are still satisfying. I feel so lucky to have had these stories and especially these amazing drawings to shape my youth.
ConfusedKyra
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. I love the illustrations along with the writing. It ties it all together. I'm one of those people that get kind of bored with long, dragging on stories. So, I loved this book because it had short stories that kept me interested and scared. ...more
Nate
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All prepped for the movie today!
Ashton Reads
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers-horror
Definitely not as creepy to adult me as they were to child/teen me, but it was still fun to revisit for the nostalgia.
Auryn
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
It's a compilation of short horror stories meant to be told around a campfire. I didn't find them particularly scary. ...more
Fen Koeswanto (GigglesAndJoyRead)
SCARY STORIES by Alvin Schwartz is one of those controversial books that is banned from some schools and public libraries. So, when I landed on the version that has the original artwork by Stephen Gammell, I was ecstatic!! The drawings are truly amazing!! One of them actually gave me a pretty bad jump scare. And I LOVE IT!

The edition that I got is the 1981 edition. It has all three books combined into one. Mostly are short urban legends and folklore. Honestly, for me, these stories are not that
Sara
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still scary after all these years!!!
Huntsville-Madiso...: Hoopla Pick - October 30 - Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark 1 5 Oct 30, 2020 09:16AM
Play Book Tag: Scary Stories Treasury - Alvin Schwartz (3 1/2 stars) 1 6 Oct 08, 2020 10:48AM
Books2Movies Club: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark 11 16 Apr 24, 2020 12:45PM
AWESOME SCARY STORIES BOOK 5 14 Jan 05, 2018 12:56PM
Favorite Stories 4 7 Apr 20, 2007 06:52PM

• Scary Stories to Tell if You Dare 2
  • More Bones
  • Scary Stories to Tell if You Dare
  • Short & Shivery: Thirty Chilling Tales
  • The Fear Zone 2
  • Terrifying Tales to Tell at Night: 10 Scary Stories to Give You Nightmares!
  • Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories
  • The Reddening
  • NIV, Adventure Bible
  • Attack of the Vampire Weenies (Weenies, #5)
  • American Gothic Tales
  • Scream and Scream Again!
  • The Wrong Number (Fear Street, #5)
  • 'Tis Better to Want: An Erotic Krampus Tale
  • Yay! You're Gay! Now What?: A Gay Boy's Guide to Life
  • Paris
  • The Killer's Shadow:  The FBI's Hunt for a White Supremacist Serial Killer
  • Budapest
See top shelves…
Alvin Schwartz was the author of more than fifty books dedicated to and dealing with topics such as folklore and word play, many of which were intended for young readers. He is often confused with another Alvin Schwartz, who wrote Superman and Batman daily comics strips and a novel titled The Blowtop.

Scary Stories (3 books)
  • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #1)
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #2)
  • More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories #3)