Start by marking “Spirits of Flux and Anchor (Soul Rider, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spirits of Flux and Anchor (Soul Rider, #1)

Spirits of Flux and Anchor (Soul Rider #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  795 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Cassie did not feel the soul rider enter her body...

but suddenly she knew that Anchor was corrupt, and that, far from being a formless void from which could issue ony mutant changelings and evil wizards, Flux was the soure of Anchor's very existence.

The price of her new knowledge is exile, yet Cassie and the Rider of her soul are the only hope for the redemption of both Fl
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Spirits of Flux and Anchor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spirits of Flux and Anchor

E.H. Jones
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this series when I was in high school, and I still recommend it today to lovers of both fantasy and science fiction. The first couple read very much as fantasy, although you know that behind the scenes there is a sci-fi explanation for all of the magic and wizardry. The characters don't know it, though, and so the first few don't have a specifically sci-fi feel to them. Later books embrace and explain the sci-fi background of the series, and still never seem to lose that high-fantasy feel ...more
Mark
Dec 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
"World" is composed of Anchors, places of stability, and Flux, places of chaos. Those with the talent can make anything they can conceive out of Flux. Outside of "World" seeking entry are demons. This series is about the struggle of those wanting to let in the demon and those who want to keep them out.

This book has all the usual shape shifting, gender changing, mental and physical slavery, etc of a Jack Chalker book. This first book flirts with discussing power/politics/religion but doesn't real
Geoff Canyon
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Next to the well world series, this is my favorite Chalker series.
Brent Mcdougal
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Classic sci-fi weirdness; what's not to love?
Jim Cook
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-read-again
I reread this series every year or so. All of the books are eminently rereadable.
Heidi
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A friend first turned me on to this author and this has to be the best of all his series.
Aaron Anderson
Almost embarrassed to say, but I love this series. My 3rd favorite Chalker, it's the one with the most magic (of my favorites). So many flaws, but such a fun world, and story concept.
Joel
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
A fantasy novel which turns out to also be a science fiction novel eventually. The world it's set in consists of many "Anchors", isolated city-states of normalcy surrounded by a sea of Flux, in which magic operates and a wizard with a powerful enough will can dominate everyone around them and create their own city-states out of nothing. Also, within Flux are seven locked and sealed Gates to Hell; the denizens of Hell (probably another dimension, although it's never really clarified) want to come ...more
Wise_owl
Apr 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Jack L. Chalker is a writer I discovered in my late teens and have enjoyed since than. Though I think he is also one of those writers who might be very reflective of a time and place. That is had I come to his books as an adult, I'm not sure I'd have the same appreciation.

The main other series of his I've read is the Changewinds, and this book shares many similarities with it. Both books deal with strange, otherworldly cosmologies, often run by wizards, and wizards whose entire world centres aro
Kirk Burris
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this series. Fell hard for main characters. Great development.
Nilsy007
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Chalker has a interesting viewpoint on power, sex and politics and uses his own mix of fantasy-scifi. Its definitely a fantasy books yet it has more in common with far future science fiction. To me it suffers greatly in comparison with the original dune books by f.herbert when it comes to politics.
Like most of chalkers books this has a large amount of gender switching and while its fascinating its also very repellant and i do believe this is a important part of why readers dislike and like chalk
Jody
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
A colony in the middle of terraforming their new World is cut off from the rest of humanity by an impending alien invasion. The Flux Gates are closed and the process of flooding World with Flux energy to hardcode into reality is halted, leaving World covered in Flux with only a handful of city-like Anchors. Generations pass and those with the ability to control Flux have become powerful god-like wizards. Cassie is just a country girl living in Anchor, but when she is thrown into Flux, she will d ...more
Cucharas  Mágicas
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Finally finished listening to the audiobook of the first book in the Soul Rider series. I really liked Cassie a whole lot. I discovered these books last night and already want to read/listen to the next book because it was pretty damn good. Despite was most reviewers are saying I actually enjoyed it.

I started listening to the audiobook and once I started I couldn't stop. I just needed to know what would happen next. Can't wait to get to the second book in the series.
Theresa
Nov 17, 2008 rated it liked it
It was kind of sad; this book had great potential. It had an interesting world that was well thought out and not a bad message about the world. It had just the right amount of Mary Sue and romance. However, the characterization was terrible! I couldn't empathize with any of them or believe their actions. As a result, it was really hard to get into the book.
Cerry
John
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Similar to the Well of Souls series, but less so in a few aspects: feels more rural than globular and more about sexual reorientation than physical boundaries. Again, the power of a woman is dominant.
Arthur
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Decided to re-read this after many years. Not quite as good as I remember (I originally read it as a teenager, I think), but still very good. Still one of the more interesting and unique world-building concepts out there even after all this time.
Karen
May 08, 2010 rated it liked it
The premise is interesting
Ishan Jayawardene
Science fiction with lots of nudity and smart ideas; yum ;)
Howard
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Juan
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
La redaccion es fluida, pero la trama no lleva a querer leer mas, explora temas con superficialidad y no llega como a ninguna conclusion. No veo razon para leerlo
Taria0508
Beginning was good but the end was extremly rushed
Ron Clark
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great weaving of scifi and fantasy.
Timothy Boyd
I am normally a fan of Chalker's writings but this series just didn't do it for me. Not recommended
John
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Grade B-. Book Sr1, trilogy start.
Amy Sjoquist
Read this when it first came out. Still really like it. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Ronn
Sep 05, 2013 added it
Loved this series, wish I could find a copy somewhere, but since Chalker is dead that's not likely.
Michael
rated it did not like it
Dec 17, 2013
Bryan Leifert
Mar 24, 2008
  • The Dark Abyss (Philip José Farmer's The Dungeon, #2)
  • The Ring
  • Relic of Empire (Forbidden Borders, #2)
  • Orphan Star (Pip & Flinx #3)
  • Privateer (The Flight Engineer, #2)
  • The Cage (Baen Fantasy)
  • Stronghold Rising (Sholan Alliance, #6)
  • Faragon Fairingay (Circle of Light, #2)
  • Orion and the Conqueror (Orion, # 4)
  • The Cobra Trilogy
  • The Vindication (Cyteen, #3)
  • The Court of a Thousand Suns (Sten, #3)
  • The Song of the Axe (The Pelbar Cycle, #6)
Besides being a science fiction author, Jack Laurence Chalker was a Baltimore City Schools history teacher in Maryland for a time, a member of the Washington Science Fiction Association, and was involved in the founding of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society. Some of his books said that he was born in Norfolk, Virginia although he later claimed that was a mistake.

He attended all but one of the W
More about Jack L. Chalker...

Soul Rider (5 books)
  • Empires of Flux and Anchor (Soul Rider, #2)
  • Masters of Flux and Anchor (Soul Rider, #3)
  • The Birth of Flux and Anchor (Soul Rider, #4)
  • Children of Flux and Anchor (Soul Rider, #5)