Start by marking “The Golden One (LucasFilm's Alien Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Golden One (LucasFilm's Alien Chronicles, #1)

The Golden One

(LucasFilm's Alien Chronicles #1)

Here is an epic set in a far distant universe
Published February 1st 1998 by Ace Books (first published February 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden One

Katy Lavallee
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Epic trilogy. Strong female lead with no romantic interest. Strong female villain too. Fascinating alien cultures. Classic storyline. Also a good buddy story. Themes of slavery, servitude, gladiatorial games, violence, friendship, betrayal, escape, exodus, survival, mad science experiments, and a society fallen into decadence.
O.
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I never realize what a scifi lover I am until I start reading a good one. I liked this book very much. After I finished it I went looking for book 2 of the series.

In a universe very different from ours, races struggle for justice and freedom. It may sound like many others but it is quite unique from others I've read.
Kalvin Debusk
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing to me, it teaches courage and honor and the simplicity of young life. while on the other end of the spectrum it teaches how frail life can be but how courages one can be. My second favorite series
Searska GreyRaven
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this trilogy as a kid, and it's lost none of it's charm over time. ^_^
Deb
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was one of those audiobooks that I picked up just because it was real different than what I usually read and because I love the Star Wars movies. Very pleasantly surprised and a fun listen. I wasn't sure about it at first as it plays off more like a radio show. But I got into the characters and now I want to find out what happens to the Aaroun (a cat like creature) called Ampris.

Note: This was a book that I received from a member at
Bookcrossing.com

August
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This still stands as one of the best audiobooks I've ever listened to - though I didn't listen to it this time (mostly because it's impossible to get ahold of). The beginning of the first book in this trilogy takes its time getting started, but the characters, world, and story were as amazing as I remembered from childhood, and that's not something that's held true of every beloved book I've re-read in my adult years.

I can say with confidence that Ampris is one of my favorite science fiction pro
J'aime
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I originally purchased this as an audio book to share with my husband, who doesn't like to read. The audio production was excellent, with a full cast. So why do I have the paperback? Simple, the publisher issued volumes 1 and 2 in audio, but never released volume 3! I have a few colorful words to say about that, but will stick the reviewing the novel. The story was so good I had to buy the paperbacks to get the conclusion. This is a wonderful space opera. All the races/peoples in the trilogy are ...more
Katie
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this whole series. I read it back when it first came out in '98 and it pulled me in. I have to say, as much as I love Ampris and the relationship between her and Elrabin, my favorite parts to read were about Israi and the watching the Viis empire slowly crumbling around them.

The Golden One is the start of Ampris' tale, from her birth, being ripped from her mother then adopted by Israi, the sri-Kaa of the Viis empire until she is ripped away from that.

This book will suck you right in with
Andi
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I really can't formulate a coherent review for this story but it intrigued me. It really did.

I have a strange feeling that they're trying to set Elberin and Anapris up, and I'm not really feeling any chemistry between them.

I'm all here for her story, though. She seems like she'll harden into a fighter and a kick ass one at that.

I own the other two books, so I'll def. be continuing the series to see if it gets better.
Sara
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rereading my favourite series from when I was younger. I was a little worried that I wouldn't find it as good 12 or so years later but from the first chapter I've been hooked all over again and in love with the amazing alien world Chester created. I can't believe this series is not more popular and hope one day it gets the recognition it deserves. Amazing story with great characters. It will definitely be one I pass on to my kids.
Kammera
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
this Series, while I give each book a "four" separately, rates a solid 5 as a set. Deborah Chester continues her quality writing through each book. Don't let the hokey titles throw you off. She writes believable characters and story lines and pleasantly surprises you. Although, I was a bit embarrassed to run around to bookstores asking for "The Crimson Claw!"
T J
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: have-read
Stolen at birth from her mother and sold to the Viis princess. Apris the Aaroun is kept and raised as a pet. Her adventure begins when the Princess Kaa pulls a dangerous prank and is punished by being sold to uncaring Viis. It is a interesting series worth reading.
SpiralPup
Mar 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
I loved this book mainly because it gave animals personalities...it really made you care about them. Too often (in America especially, I think) do people discount animals; they are there for consumption, for use, and they don't have feelings. Which is just bullshit.
Samantha Warren
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: influences
I think the Alien Chronicles may well be my favorite series ever, even though I always forget about them until I see them sitting on my shelf. These books are extremely well written and Ampris and Elrabin are two of the most enjoyable characters I've ever experienced.
Leann
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read constantly but this series stands out! If your looking for something riveting and memorable read this.
Michelle K. *Get off my lawn!*
My first sci-fi novel at 13. I re-read it in 2010, 10 yrs later, with the other two books in the series and I love it just as much.
Nikki Kelly
Aug 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Awesome sci-fi story with a very emotional side to it. I love the characters and the creatures are quite unique
Ally
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was okay and I can't wait to read the next one!
Colleen
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
This is super-satisfying to read. I was always deeply disappointed my library didn't have the rest of the series.
Kadja Draenor
Jan 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Enjoyable and unique, but not really all that great or memorable.
Linda Lahti milne
Jan 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Couldn't get thru this... I guess I thought it was a Star Wars book??? NOT.
Kim
  • Manta's Gift
  • Doctor Who and the War Games
  • Splintered Energy
  • Doctor Who: The Faceless Ones
  • Firebird Trilogy (#1 - 3)
  • Messiah Node (LINK Angel, #3)
  • A Thousand Words for Stranger (Trade Pact Universe, #1)
  • Dying to Dream
  • Saturn Rukh
  • Sins
  • Doctor Who: Dark Progeny
The internationally published, award-winning author of 41 novels, Deborah Chester has written Regency romances, historical romances, young adult, science fiction, and fantasy. She is a tenured professor of professional writing in the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Oklahoma, where she teaches novel and short story writing.
She holds a B.A. with General Hon

LucasFilm's Alien Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Crimson Claw (LucasFilm's Alien Chronicles, #2)
  • The Crystal Eye (LucasFilm's Alien Chronicles, #3)