Start by marking “Dinosaur Beach” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur Beach

Dinosaur Beach

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  304 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Appearing from the remote future, Nexx Central agent Ravel is emplaced in America, circa 1936. His mission: to undo successive tamperings of the time stream which threaten the survival of Mankind. He falls in love with a lovely, simple girl, Lisa, but in the midst of his happiness is called away to Dinosaur Beach.

Dinosaur Beach is a Nexx Central station located millions of
Mass Market Paperback, 204 pages
Published July 1st 1986 by Baen Books (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur Beach, please sign up.

Philip Not from "Dinosaur Beach," but from Laumer's "Plague of Demons" which has the same cheesy noir dialogue: "I rode up (the elevator), then walked past a…moreNot from "Dinosaur Beach," but from Laumer's "Plague of Demons" which has the same cheesy noir dialogue: "I rode up (the elevator), then walked past a few miles of wallpaper that was someone's revenge for a life of disappointments."(less)

Adam Getchell
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Laumer novels. His take on time travel was pretty unique when it came out, and it anticipates a lot of the Transhumance/Singularity concepts so fashionable today. Laumer provides fast pacing, plenty of plot twists, and for me, a satisfying if bittersweet ending. I still retread this book from time to time, to enjoy the pacing and grand sweep of the story from one individual to all possible future histories and back again.
Chris
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Hardboiled time cop is stranded in a time loop during the age of dinosaurs, and has to untangle a muddled web of intrigue and time paradoxes to get home alive. Very complex history and mechanics of time-travel make this one interesting; I like its presentation of time as something everyone wants to fix, yet every attempt to do so throws the time stream into greater and greater chaos.

Laumer's a good writer; the protagonist is easy to sympathize with, and has a fine noir-style personality. What I'
Matt Sears
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, mystery

Dinosaur Beach is a Nexx Central station located millions of years in the past, in the Jurassic Age. but shortly after Ravel's arrival, the station is attacked and destroyed, and Ravel
Cody
May 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
AAAAHHHHHH! TO THIS DAY I still love this book! Every summer I regret giving it away because I want to go back and read it every day forever. My mind was BLOWN in the last couple chapters. Seriously, one of the best books I have ever read. It has stuck with me for two years now, and I seriously cannot forget how great and detailed it was. I seriously need to track down a copy so I can just reread it whenever I've got a couple hours to spare.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
review of
Keith Laumer's Dinosaur Beach
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - April 3, 2015

That was fun. This is the 4th Laumer bk I've read in the past few days. I made a bit of fun of 2 of them as hack work. I looked him up online & read in one place that he had a stroke in the early 1970s & that he cdn't write for awhile after that but that he eventually started writing again. Here's one person's take on him:

"John Keith Laumer was an extremely successful man, an author who kept fit, alway
Bruce
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I've read this book a number of times. It is the very exemplar of "page-turner." More than once I have stayed up to 3am to finish it, unable to put it down.

Clever time travel stuff, bit of transcendence at the end, just moves like greased lightning.

Love the many different metaphors used to describe the physical sensation of each time jump.

One of those books I read and then went looking for more from the same author, only to be disappointed. His best as far as I can tell.
Lois
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a great change of pace book (science fiction) recommended to me by my brother. You had to pay close attention to the time traveling hero, and the intricate plot, but it was definitely clever and entertaining!
Terry Mackenzie
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the four most exciting and thought-provoking time travel novels I've read. First you think you're in a gripping thriller then in a nano-second you find you're involved in breath-taking roller-coaster ride through temporal paradoxes that grips you to the final sentence. Brilliant!
Douglas
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Despite the misleading title, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Martinw
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
I read the reviews, and so many people found this book 'clever'. So, obviously, I belong to a minority, but I had the feeling that Laumer just makes up physics in order to not-really explain what is going on here. Now, what is going on? Our protagonist, Ravel, is a time travel agent for an organisation with the goal to repair ‘damages’ to time lines caused by previous time travelers. (Though you have to be careful with words like ‘previous’ in time travel.) I did not understand why, but there se ...more
Norman Felchle
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't know about this.
I have a bias against time travel stories that seem to just be about time travel...and not much else. (Did I miss something in this one?)
they seem to be clever exercises in making up rules by which the characters play...but the rules either seem arbitrary or overly complicated...to an end I have a hard time caring about.
I guess this was an ok book...some parts cheesy, some seemed kind of impressive...
But, in the end, I guess I just didn't get the point...
Ray
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Good sci-fi novel, with a pretty good take on time travel.
LXE
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love it. I first read it in my 12 years because time travel. I first recommended it to fellow engineers when I was 26. I still believe it is the best book about concurrent programming - edited - coding in general - edited - engineering in general - edited - quality - edited - responsibility ever written.
Certain ideas overlap with other stories by the same author, or time travel fiction by other writers, but this book comes dense and concentrated in every possible way. Not so much a political p
Philip
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1970s
UPDATE: Reread this to see if it lived up to my original review. For much of the book thought, "good, but why five stars?" - but then I hit that ending and was once again pretty blown away, considering when this was written.

In some ways, this almost reads as an even older book - Laumer is big on "here's looking at YOU, kid" Sam Spade-type dialogue. But I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and hoping this is a remnant of his character's last earthly "incarnation" being in the mid-1930's. Anywa
Rob
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
This novel wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. It was just plain old okay. With a title like "Dinosaur Beach" (suggesting dinosaurs) and a cover showing a futuristic man and woman with a monstrous T-Rex in the background (again, suggesting dinosaurs), I was expecting an action filled time-travelling romp with dinosaurs, but that's not what I got. Instead I got a mediocre novel about a time travel agent who falls in love, an author who likes to use big complicated words to explain the wh ...more
Jeff Parker
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic-sci-fi
I had not expected as much intrigue and the plot twists that abound in Dinosaur Beach. In my mind I had always thought of Laumer as a pulp sci-fi writer, in the vein of ERB but more modern. This book definitely changed my opinion of Keith Laumer. While the novel is short, action packed and full of all the other classic pulp elements there is a level of intelligence and sophistication hidden within the story that you do not often associate with pulp novels. Definitely one of the most interesting ...more
Marcus
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Have reread this book multiple times. Favorite Laumer book (with the first three imperium novels a close second). Best time travel story I have ever read/seen. Laumer has a "film noir" style of writing that you may not like right away, I've come to love it.
Amy C
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
a tough read for one who's not into sci-fi.
Alisa Kester
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Way too much of a science fiction book for my taste, but it did have an interesting take on time travel.
Phil
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Twisty, twin-y and at times poetic. A quick read and fast moving story.
Aarin
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Definitely surprised me with how good it was.
Scott Duede
Jul 28, 2010 rated it liked it
This book surprised me in a few ways. The writing is good, and the story is sound. Worth reading.
Brenda
Jan 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Could not get into
_
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read & Reviewed as part of a collection: Odyssey

The story of Igor Ravel, Timesweeper, a time-traveling agent on a mission to correct the anomalies created by previous time traveling agents trying to correct time travel anomalies. This one keeps you on your mental toes as you try to keep up with the paradoxes with paradoxes. I was impressed with the swirl of theory, most of if made up for the story. The wheels-within-wheels nature of the time traveling interactions and the final outcome leave
Ken Boorman
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good little story. There are twists at the end I didn't see coming. Keith Laumer is a very good author. I recommend this book!
David A. Carey
This was an unusual story, (aren't all time travel stories?) but well written.
Leif
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Twilight Zone episode in a book. Good.
David
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Read Bones of the Earth instead.
Shari Scott
At first I was fascinated. Then I was confused, but I wanted to figure it out. Later I was determined to understand. Now...my head hurts.
Neith
May 01, 2009 rated it liked it
This is the most coherent of his books I've read, but the main draw is still watching Keith Laumer unpredictably bounce around from plot device to plot device.
  • The Wrong End of Time
  • The Storm Lord (Novels of Vis, #1)
  • Sunfall
  • Time on My Hands
  • The Byworlder
  • J.T.
  • The Ivanhoe Gambit (Time Wars, #1)
  • The Year of the Quiet Sun
  • Weighing Shadows
  • The Pritcher Mass
  • The Masks of Time
  • Footprints of Thunder
  • Moon of Three Rings (Moon Magic, #1)
  • Fuzzy Bones
  • The Book of Philip Jose Farmer
  • Dragon's Egg / Starquake
  • Distant Stars
John Keith Laumer (9 June 1925–23 January 1993) was an American science fiction author. Prior to becoming a full-time writer, he was an officer in the U.S. Air Force and a U.S. diplomat. His brother March Laumer was also a writer, known for his adult reinterpretations of the Land of Oz (also mentioned in Keith's The Other Side of Time).

Keith Laumer (aka J.K Laumer, J. Keith Laumer) is best known f
More about Keith Laumer...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
  • Blood Music