Start by marking “Offworld (Dangerous Times, #1)” as Want to Read:
Offworld (Dangerous Times, #1)

Offworld

(Dangerous Times #1)

Published July 1st 2009 by Bethany House

To ask other readers questions about Offworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Offworld

Kriss
Yep you saw it right, I am reviewing a Christian Fiction book. I was caught WAY off guard about 2/3 of the way through when a character states:
"Life is poetry," said Mae. "Stop. Watch. Listen. There's poetry all over. And the thing about poetry? It don't write itself"

I stopped and went hmmmmm OK, but I highlighted it and saw all the commenters who had also highlighted it and they were obviously Christian readers (insert "Praise Jesus.." "God is Love.." etc.. So I had to go look here on GR to see
Alan
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Not sure, really...
Recommended to Alan by: Not sure, really... something of a theme
Off-kilter.

There's something off-kilter about this book, and I'm not sure I can put my finger directly on it. It's not as simple and petty as the author's unbalanced name (shouldn't it be Robbin Parrish, or Robin Parish?); nor is it the cinematic implausibility of the scrapes the protagonists get into, and even more implausibly out of. Nor is it the denouement, which wraps up and ties off pretty much every thread.

Maybe it was the prose itself, which—while workmanlike—occasionally became difficul
Danny Bernier
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is a decent scifi story which could have been better. The premise is excellent and the characters believable. The author lost me when he waded into the religious waters. The ending seemed to not fit the tone of the rest of the story and felt rushed. Overall I enjoyed the book but was a bit disappointed
Pranav Koli
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
What if you were all alone in this world ? .. What if you weren't ?

Astronauts go through a huge deal of training to prepare them for the unexpected millions of miles away from home. The first manned mission to Mars was no different. But the biggest challenge they face, the biggest "unknown unknown" for them is waiting right here back at home. Losing all contact with home on way back, they return to an world that's completely uninhabited. They set off an a journey to determine the cause and run i
Andrew
May 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Offworld by Robin Parrish is not just bad, it's bullshit. It deceives the reader. It demeans the reader. It cloaks itself in the established tropes of science fiction only to culminate in the most anti-scientific rubbish possible: it was God all along! Mr. Parrish perniciously co-opts the science fiction genre, twisting it into some sort of grotesque Judaeo-Christian farce. Offworld is more than stupid: it is offensive.
Terry Conrad
I can't believe it took me this long to read a Robin Parrish book. Astronauts have been on a mission to Mars for a couple years. When they come home expecting to be greeted as heroes, nobody is there. Everybody on earth is gone, even the animals.

This was a great Science fiction, action packed book. The writing was great and I loved all the characters. I felt like I got to know them in depth through their journey as they try to find out what happened to all mankind.

I thought the story was uniqu
Kari Thomas
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Non-stop action

When I choose a book, I read these reviews so if you are reading mine, GET THE BOOK!!!!! I loved the idea of astronauts that were on Mars coming home to no one left on Earth. The obstacles they face are heart stopping. You won't be sorry to have gotten this book.
Amydeanne
Sep 11, 2009 rated it did not like it
I finished “Offworld” by Robin Parrish. Parrish’s writing style was very smooth and easy to read. I liked how action packed it was. The characters were interesting, and the storyline kept you guessing right until the end. I love that the book dabbles with different realities and the people disappearance. I was thinking it was going to a “Left behind” type book, but it was not.

What’s the book about:

“Every Person on This Planet Has Disappeared.” Commander Christopher Burke and his crew are humani
Janna Ryan
Aug 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have not read Robin Parrish's other series of books (Relentless, Fearless, Merciless) but have heard such good things about them (and they are on my TBR list) that I was thrilled to see he had a stand alone book coming out that I could get my hands on. So "Offworld" comes in and I start reading and by the end of chapter 1, I can not put it down! The style is intense and pressing and I just kept turning the pages... 2:00 in the morning - who cares! I'm reading "Offworld" here people! I wasn't ...more
Tom Booker
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Offworld is a gripping and fast-paced tale about the disappearance of every human, and animal, on Earth. I was initially a bit skeptical about the book, Robin Parrish not being an author I have read before. But I'm glad I gave it a try because I really did thoroughly enjoy it.

Stories where people have vanished, or living creatures, are quite common in books, film, and TV. Recent examples would be I am Legend, and Revolution (albeit for vastly different reasons). These stories are often badly don
Tal
Jul 15, 2012 rated it liked it
The return of NASA's first manned mission to Mars was supposed to be a momentous day. But when the crew loses touch with ground control before entry, things look bleak. Safe after a treacherous landing, the crew emerges to discover the unthinkable--every man, woman, child, and animal has vanished without a trace. Alone now on their home planet, the crew sets out to discover where everyone has gone--and how to get them back--only to discover they may not be as alone as they thought.

an interesting
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
An interesting read, kept me guessing. The following 2 quotes really stood out for me: "We need to be around the people we care about most" and "Life is poetry....Stop, watch, listen, there's poetry all over..... it don't write itself".
Jenifer
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Great concept and exciting beginning...until I found out what really was going on. I didn't think it was very believable and I had too many questions afterwards.
Daphne Self
I would call this a clean science fiction book, but not a Christian market book. Calling out to the "universe" for help is not a Christian value, and that disappointed me. I was expecting a Christian sci-fi. There was probably two mentions of God and that was it.

As for the story, it started strong. The writing was a little stilted at times and I didn't really like the explanations of the science. The intended audience of the book are those who understand the science behind what was happening. So
T.C.
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading several book from Alton Gansky, I decided to read this one which I've had in my possession for some time. My view on books is pretty straightforward. I want them to speak to me, one way or another. At first this book didn't appeal to me, so it wasn't my first choice of reading when I had time to spare. It looked gloomy and off putting. However, when I started to read I noticed that I couldn't put it down. I just had to read on. This may be attributed to the cliffhangers in nearly e ...more
Jeannine
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, this was a real roller coaster ride. Great premise - the first manned expedition from Mars returns home under odd circumstances to find... nobody is there. No sign of man, woman, child, cow or mosquito. What could be going on? It's a blistering ride to find out. This is the sort of book that usually starts out splendidly, then completely falls apart and you end up throwing it across the room. But not this one. Take a nice dose of speculative science, twist and scramble and there you are. I ...more
Amanda
Offworld is based on a pretty interesting premise - what would you do if everyone on the planet disappeared? Unfortunately, as the book progressed I found the scenarios the main characters found themselves in to be more and more unbelievable and fake-feeling, even thought thoroughly explained at the end. While book is intended to be a Christian sci-fi book, there really isn't a religious element to the book until the very end, and then it feels forced and out of place. It was an interesting enou ...more
Jeni
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
My teacher once read this book to our class when I was....13, 14 maybe. I loved it at the time and wanted to see if it was as good as I remembered. And it was, I was surprised how much of it I had remembered.

It's a fun book that explores one crazy event: astronauts return to Earth to find everyone just....gone. Disappeared. Vanished.

It's an exciting read, with the characters having one curve ball after another thrown at them as they try to figure out where to and why the population just vanish
Yahuhanan (יהוחנן) Yukia (雪亮)
Immersive and scary!

That was one amazing mix and twist of things that we are facing today and the beliefs about the end-of-the-world. I recognised the sources, and I loved how Science and Faith wearing interwoven together.

The begging and middle were written in such a way that it felt like a horror story, which was perfect because of what happened to the planet and they thought they were the only ones left. Somehow there are answers somewhere but being the last humans on Earth makes our mind craz
Angela
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sensational Story!!

Unique and absolutely fascinating story!! I skipped through some of the fight scenes, a bit long and drawn out for me, my only complaint! Fabulous job explaining just enough that I get the idea without boring me to death with overly scientific details! I really love the characters and the twists just kept me shocked! Overall I LOVED it! And no cliffhanger ending!
Dave
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought this was an ok read - the writing was decent for the most part. The protagonists get into and out of some very odd situations but the ending tries to explain why.

Overall I wanted to finish it but am ambivalent about recommending it for some reason I am unable to explain

I plan on reading a different book by the same author.
Diane
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This fantasy/thriller is so full of this catastrophe, then this catastrophe, then this catastrophe, etc. that it gets kind of tedious. That's not to say the story line isn't great - it is. There are some really tense moments but enough already with the things that would kill or at least sideline someone else but not these guys.
Anthony Orso
Nov 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kevin
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping

This is one of those hard to put down books that is able to hold your attention untill the end. The author is able to keep the mystery interesting and able to keep you wanting more with every turn of the page. A Book full of scifi, mystery and action and the story is nicely tied together in the end. Highly recommended for mystery and scifi lovers.
Meg W
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
At the beginning of this book, I couldn't put it down. The premise was interesting, and I thought to myself that this was going to be a great book. And then I came to the last quarter of the book and found myself looking to see how much I had yet to plod through. It was full of cliches and felt very rushed. On a positive note, I really liked the characters.
Luigi
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this as a paperback, not realising when I bought it that it was part of a series. I was therefore a bit disappointed when it took so long to peak, but clearly the reason is that it was scripted to have a teaser to the next book at the end, although I'm not totally sure that was the plan when it was written.
Anyway, not a bad read.
Kristin
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Loved the first half of this book
The second half got a little weird, but was still good. Just didn't go in the direction I expected or wanted it to go. 3 stars and probably won't continue the series.
Madelaine Singleton
Captivating

I couldn’t put it down. The symbolism was intriguing. This is definitely a page turner. I was glad I started it early in the day because I was able to finish it before bedtime
Allan67
I really had mixed emotions about this book. It was alright, but not outstanding in my opinion. The premise of returning to earth and finding no one there seemed to be a good concept. What would returning astronauts do? The really big issue was that the system "waveform" was undocumented and that no one understood it, yet they (who ever "they" are.) were making modifications to the system and had been for years. That blew the story for me. On that account, I give the story three stars.
Pam Resner
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story

You won't want to put it down! The mystery just keeps getting bigger and bigger until you are bursting to find the answer. Very well done, well developed characters and plot. Makes me want to read it again to catch all the things I missed the first time.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. End of the World? Speculative/Christian. [s] 7 59 Aug 28, 2018 11:04AM

• The Enclave
  • The 13th Tribe  (Immortal Files #1)
  • The Spider and the Fly (The Spiderverse Saga, #1)
  • Extermination Day (Extermination Day, #1)
  • Valley of the Shadow
  • Crown of Fire (Firebird, #3)
  • Memoria
  • Sycamore (Sycamore, #1)
  • Centurion
  • Lion of Babylon (Marc Royce #1)
  • Isolation
  • Refuge on Crescent Hill
  • The Secret's in the Sauce (Potluck Catering Club #1)
  • Don't Know Where, Don't Know When
  • The Riddle of Prague (The QuickSilver Legacy Series) (Volume 1)
  • Hostage in Havana (The Cuban Trilogy #1)
  • Transgression (City of God, #1)
  • Tobacco-Stained Mountain Goat
Robin's new book The Riftwalkers and the Pierced Veil releases September 25, 2019! Preorder now: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XSG8TGX/

"Robin Parrish is a keen-eyed, passionate pop cultural savant,
whose writing is as incisive and insightful as it is entertaining."
- Allan Heinberg, Executive Producer, Grey's Anatomy
Novelist. Journalist. Pop culture guru.

Just a few words to describe Robin Parrish, a

Dangerous Times (3 books)
  • Nightmare (Dangerous Times, #2)
  • Vigilante (Dangerous Times, #3)
“Life is poetry,” said Mae. “Stop. Watch. Listen. There’s poetry all over. And the thing about poetry? It don’t write itself.” 1 likes
“Stop. Watch. Listen. There’s poetry all over. And the thing about poetry? It don’t write itself.” 0 likes