Start by marking “The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots & Ropework” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots & Ropework

The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots & Ropework

Each of the knots described in this reference is clearly identified by category and step-by-step instructions and colour photographs explain how to tie or splice them. The author also includes information on ropes, their strengths and their uses.'
Published April 1st 1999 by Lorenz Books

Start your review of The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots & Ropework
Shayne
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-book
A direct clone of A Handbook of Knots and Knot Tying: Over 200 Techniques by the same author. Other than the cover, everything about this book is the same: layout, copy, photos.

Still counting it as read.
Kevin  Selzer
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Enthusiastic knot-tyers
Recommended to Kevin by: George 'Bear' Armbruster
I've quite a collection of knot books, and I would say that this is the best of them. Of course it doesn't have the sheer volume of Ashley's and yes there is that obligatory first chapter about rope strength and different types that will go ignored - we're here for the knots afterall - but even that is quite readable. The book gives a good selection of knots, including both those very useful and those useful for showing off with as they're quite unusual. There's also a key that gives the general ...more
Philitsa
Sep 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource if you need to know how to tie a carrick bend.
Terry Bell
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our son is in Boy Scouts so this comes in handy. I also learned a few decorative knots so I can say I have truly enjoyed it!
Michal Paszkiewicz
An excellent collection of knots, hitches, plaits, lashings and anything else you may want to do with a rope. Many of the knots were new to me and were very interesting in their functions. Tying the knots as I went through the book, I was particularly excited to learn the icycle hitch, which can hold of a verticle spike with a declining side (e.g. an icycle).

However, I was slightly disappointed by the fact that in some of the pictures (which were generally great), it was not clear which end was
Brian
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The best knot book I could find.
Blake
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
This could also be named "The Ultimate Guide to Extreme Geekiness," but it is still a great reference book. Ever wanted to make a pair of twine sandals? Baffled at how to keep that set of 40-lb. dumbbells from rolling around in the bed of your truck? Need a way to keep that kidnapped wildebeest restrained while preserving your living room from destruction? This book is the answer to your prayers. Everyone should own it, and the fact that it is always a tempting find on the Barnes and Nobles ...more
Shane Simmons
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
A fine reference to some very useful knots. There are thousands of knots, but this guide focuses on a relative handful that are the most useful.

The illustrations are beautiful. This book is as much a work of art as it is a reference guide.
While not exactly the "ultimate" in knot books, it is still a worthwhile addition to library.
Misercord
Oct 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knots, craft
I won't call it the Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots. The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots would be Ashley Book of Knots by Clifford Ashley. However, this book is glossy and easy on the eyes. It could act as a good coffee table book with actually useful content.
Charles
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. A great book.
Ainsley
May 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Knot for (k)nothing is this book the bees knees of books about knots. How to tie knots with simple, helpful photographs. Tie up your loose ends today!
Kris Minnich
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent illustrations for learning or refreshing your knot tying skills. The whole book is colorful and laid out well. A must have for boaters, hikers, and campers.
Elizabeth
Aug 16, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I need to learn my knots for boating!
Rose
Apr 09, 2009 added it
623.8 Bud
Michael
Sep 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
for knot lovers everywhere.
Jim Wilcox
Feb 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite knot books. "Ultimate?" No way (only Ashley can make this claim).

More detailed review to follow.
Mary
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I love the easy to follow instructions and step by step illustrations in this book.
Alastair Lack
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book. Beautifully illustrated.
Don Gubler
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scouting
Excellent source of more knots.
Andrew Roberts
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Book only has 10-digit ISBN 7 181 Jan 13, 2013 01:58PM

• The Arts of the Sailor: Knotting, Splicing and Ropework
  • The Marlinspike Sailor
  • A Field Guide to Western Birds: A Completely New Guide to Field Marks of All Species Found in North America West of the 100th Meridian and North of Mexico
  • Blessed Child (The Caleb Books, #1)
  • Curly Girl
  • Platypuses! Learn About Platypuses and Enjoy Colorful Pictures - Look and Learn! (50+ Photos of Platypuses)
  • The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels
  • Dragonflies! Learn About Dragonflies and Enjoy Colorful Pictures - Look and Learn! (50+ Photos of Dragonflies)
  • Dolphins: Amazing Pictures & Fun Facts on Animals in Nature (Our Amazing World Series Book 3)
  • A.D. 33 (A.D., #2)
  • Charmed Life (Chrestomanci, #1)
  • Sovereign (The Books of Mortals, #3)
  • The Lives of Christopher Chant (Chrestomanci, #2)
  • Hacker (The Outlaw Chronicles, #3)
  • No More Bullies: For Those Who Wound or Are Wounded
  • Warped: An Engaging Guide to the Never-Aired 8th Season (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography