Start by marking “Age Of Bronze, Vol. 3A: Betrayal (Part One)” as Want to Read:
Age Of Bronze, Vol. 3A: Betrayal (Part One)

Age Of Bronze, Vol. 3A: Betrayal (Age of Bronze #3A)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  392 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
High King Agamemnon lusts to conquer the wealthy city of Troy. He leads his army across the sea, fighting all the way. On the island of Tenedos just off the coast of Troy Achilles leads the attack. Spears fly and men die. When the dust settles, Achilles finds himself one step closer to his tragic fate. Meanwhile, the Trojans prepare their defenses and gather allies. Agamem ...more
Trade Paperback
Published December 11th 2007 by Image Comics (first published July 19th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Age Of Bronze, Vol. 3A, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Age Of Bronze, Vol. 3A

P.D.R. Lindsay

Graphic used to mean a novel of Lady Chatterly's ilk, now it means what aged me calls a comic. 'Age of Betrayal Part One', however is not the jolly 'Beano' comic, this book, written and illustrated by Eric Shanower, tells the first part of the story of the Trojan War. And it does it very well. At the front of the book there are detailed maps, a plan of Troy, a translation from Sophocles about Philoctetes, and an excellent summary of the story. At the back of the book are a glossary of names, a g
Andrew
The continuing story of Age of Bronze finds the Achaeans arriving in Troy. There's a few nice pages of pre-war diplomacy and lots of drama surrounding love and sex.

May
While I enjoyed reading the first two volumes in the series, I was starting to feel some annoyance with this volume as the pacing started to slow down considerably. With one volume left, it's hard to believe that the Aegeans will ever get around to besieging Troy anytime soon. Logically it makes sense to see a last-minute diplomatic effort by the Aegeans but having reading this volume, you begin to realize that the Aegeans were too conservative in their battle strategy and needed Achilles to hel ...more
James
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Eric Shanower's graphical retelling of the Trojan War holds its excellent form in volume 3A: "Betrayal." After a lengthy build-up, the Greek forces actually make it to Troy...sort of. As we start, their expeditionary force is landing on the nearby island of Tenedos, taking it by force. From there, the Greek leaders approach a fruitless parlay with the Trojan court, finally building to the mythic battle that will follow.

Shanower's fine black-and-white drawings do an excellent job capturing bloody
Miss
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
do you know what would be great?

what if some person went and gathered all the mythology of the trojan war

combed through the various and contradictory versions, picked their favourite and mixed them together until it made a coherent narrative

and then said holy shit, these men are terrible! LET'S WRITE A SERIES ABOUT THE WOMEN

just sit with me and imagine for a minute. think about a series about the women of the trojan war. think about the fact that it'd be trodding pretty fresh ground -- the weste
Amalia Carosella
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to give a LOT of credit to Shanower for what is clearly going to be one of the most exhaustive retellings of the mythology of the Trojan War I've ever encountered. His attention to detail is phenomenal, both from the historical time period setting details to the myths themselves.

This volume wraps with the failed (second) embassy to Troy, and seeing Menelaus trying to persuade Helen -- those panels were fantastic. But I also loved that Akamas and Polypoetes haven't been forgotten, and that
Elle Kay
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
The continuation of the graphic novel based on the Battle of Troy. In this volume the ships have landed on an island a stones throw away from Troy and they send an envoy to talk peace terms with the trojans before the battle commences proper. It has now been 3 years since the Greeks first assembled for this war so you have to hand it to the soldiers for their enormous patience at such a bumbled attack so far.

I didn't enjoy this volume as much as the first two and perhaps it is because I am also
Daryl
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'll reiterate what I said about volume 2: amazingly detailed art, lots of (interchangeable?) characters - I often had trouble keeping straight who was who (of course, the Greek names didn't help), stiff dialogue (try reading some of this aloud to see how ridiculous it sounds), a not entirely gripping story. I haven't read The Odyssey, but it seems like a lot of time passes here without much happening. This time around, I noticed that a lot of the characters are referred to as "son of Whoever" i ...more
Danie
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: image
Another solid part, though I was distressed to see that this is only 3A, and wondered if that meant that when he says out of seven volumes, will 3B be the equivalent Volume 4 or not.

But, that's neither here nor there. It is amazing art, and pretty good storytelling as well. An author after my own heart, taking all these different sources and trying to put it together into one cognizant story. Go Eric Shanower!
Megan
Kind of a dip from the second volume, Sacrifice, but only because that one was so amazing it would be hard to top. Still an incredibly intricate and deep retelling of the Iliad. By the end of Betrayal, the war *still* hasn't started yet, but hopefully we're getting close. (I'm actually starting to wonder if Shanower is going to put us through the literary equivalent of 9 years waiting... but I for one am excited to see what he can do with that.)
Terry
If you've read the other two, this is more of the same outstanding realization of the Iliad. Some of the secondary characters were too thinly developed for my liking, and there are many secondary characters. There's not much of Achilles as the story concentrates on Priam's court. We still haven't gotten to the first battle of the war, but the set up has been thorough.

I'm waiting for the next volume and hope Shanower can maintain the high standards he's established for himself.
Amauri
Same solid storytelling Shanower demonstrated in the previous volumes shines through here. His increased comfort illustrating the characters and settings also comes off the page, and in some scenes become more cartooning than before.

Be warned; after the drama and tragedy all over Volume 2 this is definitely a slow down in pace.
Joanna
Oh no! Interest in ancient Greece slipping, slipping, goooooone. I found this installment really, really boring. It's like... those few episodes in an otherwise excellent TV show that makes you go, OMG so bored! What are they doing with the characters? What's the conflict in this one? Where's the story? People are just wandering around, talking and crying and shouting.
Aurora
May 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still enjoying this. Like, really alot. I love the way it brings the epic story to a human level, fills in emotions and backstory. But. How can we still not have started the actual war yet? Has he maybe gotten too attached to the characters? Or maybe he just doesn't want to leave anything out? Seriously, move it along.
B
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westend, borrowed
Not altogether much happens and a lot happens. It's difficult to do a short book like this, again, because the characters resemble each other so much and each has a lot going on.

I think the highlight of this book was Shanower's well-done "sound" gag in which one character screams in most panels for the middle of the book. Very fun.
George Marshall
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? Brilliant! I adore this series which is one of the best things in the world of comics. The writing is superb. The art is consistently good, is sometimes a little scratchy. And the tale is gripping. I have written to Eric Shanower to beg him to keep going for the full course.
Tim
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still an amazingly solid piece of historical and literary interpretation, but this arc begins to really slow down, largely because of the inclusion of the melodrama of Troilus and Cressida (THANKS SHAKESPEARRE YOU JERK).
Kirsten Surdej
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the third one first so oops. But now that I've read the first and second volumes I understand the third a lot better. This one's definitely more slow-paced than volumes 1 and 2, hoping it'll lead up to something big and exciting in 3B!!
Amanda Coppedge
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Reread in 2012.
Helman Taofani
This "Age of Bronze" series getting intense on the third. Remains faithful with its two predecessor to portray historical Trojan war.
Nicholas Siebers
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of the Trojan War continues. This one seems a little clearer, with fewer characters and plotlines, which help it along. I liked it.
Darnia
Still awesome as usual...
Ed
Jun 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphix-comix
You MUST read this series of graphic novels retelling the Homeric epics if the concept even mildly intrigues you. Characterization is great, the plotting is tight...
Mark Flowers
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are easily some of the greatest graphic novels I've ever read.
Restu Aji
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Saya suka bagian dimana Odysseus marah di depan orang-orang Troy. Dan saya suka karena Paris adalah karakter yang licik dan menyebalkan.
Benjamin
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but not that much happens? Some guy gets bit by a snake and won't stop scream and then everyone sucks at negotiating.
Phil Huff
Aug 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Eric Shanower is retelling the Iliad in a series of graphic novels that translate the Greek poetry into contemporary prose, with highly detailed black and white illustrations.
Amalia Dillin
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: got-it, mythology
My review is yonder: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

TL;DR
Still really enjoying this!
Jamie
Apr 16, 2011
Suhita
Aug 06, 2011
  • Finder, Vol. 04: Talisman
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 10: The Brink of Life and Death  (Usagi Yojimbo, #10)
  • The Return from Troy
  • The White Lama - Book 1: Reincarnation
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 3: It's A Good Life
  • Achilles
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 1: Upon a Star (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #1)
  • The Trojan War
  • A Life Force
  • The Infinite Horizon
  • Walt and Skeezix, Vol. 1: 1921-1922
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 5: Black Wind
  • Charley's War, Volume 2: 1 August - 17 October 1916
  • Honour Among Punks: The Complete Baker Street Collection
  • The Cartoon History of the Universe III: From the Rise of Arabia to the Renaissance

Age of Bronze (10 books)
  • Age of Bronze Volume 1: A Thousand Ships
  • Age of Bronze Volume 2: Sacrifice
  • Age Of Bronze Volume 3B: Betrayal (Part Two)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 1: Mil Naves #1 (Age of Bronze #1.1)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 2: Mil Naves #2 (Age of Bronze #1.2)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 3: Mil Naves #3 (Age of Bronze #1.3)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 4: Sacrificio #1 (Age of Bronze #2.1)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 5: Sacrificio #2 (Age of Bronze #2.2)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 6: Sacrificio #3 (Age of Bronze #2.3)