Start by marking “The Thinker's Toolkit: 14 Powerful Techniques for Problem Solving” as Want to Read:
The Thinker's Toolkit: 14 Powerful Techniques for Problem Solving

The Thinker's Toolkit: 14 Powerful Techniques for Problem Solving

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  325 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The Thinker's Toolkit is an invaluable resource for every manager or professional - a unique collection of proven, practical methods for simplifying any problem and making faster, better decisions every time. Thanks to the computer and communications revolutions, businesspeople today are inundated with more data than ever before. But making sense of the information and usi ...more
Published June 30th 1998 by Crown Business (first published October 3rd 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Thinker's Toolkit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thinker's Toolkit

May
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jones has numerous great frameworks that provide for a concise way to think about thinking. I am totally going to use her work to aid my own. The 14 techniques are not for every single type of analysis, but they are valuable for sure. I like how she lays out the types of decisions and where the complications exist.

Page 51: Taxonomy of Problem Types is fantastic. The four types make sense sand really describe why some decisions are easy and others require a more methodological process.

I like th
Olegas
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've seen on analysis so far. Relatively simple, well structured, has good examples and interesting practice exercises.
"Learning by doing" - the good quote for describing this reading; really, it took some time - not just to *read*, but to apply the described techniques: every technique is *complex* during first application, but becomes just natural afterward :)

Highly recommended, if you are interested in structured analysis and application of mind tools to your everyday t
Vinita Mohan
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Liked the widening the problem , convergent and divergent techniques
Bassam AlKharashi
Great tools

I enjoyed reading and learning the 14 tools for problem solving.
The book contained no a lot of examples and easy step by step instructions
Randy Kelley
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for anyone who makes bad decisions, which is all of us. Wish I had a framework like this years ago!
Alec
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-related
This book is not written very well. It is written as if a bad motivational speaker is talking to you. Kind of hokie and a little bizarre because of how he make statements that say "you can ask anybody this" and appealing that this is general or well known knowledge. I did not enjoy how he did that. Also he makes claims about how humans are and act without any evidence to support it. He is just telling you that is how it is. It may be true but it is just his word he is using to support it.

Despite
Bill Lalonde
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I zipped right through this one, as it's basically an operations research text with the mathematics watered down. This isn't meant to be taken negatively; the book is quite good at what it aims to do, which is to teach how to structure analysis to the general public. It's explanations are lucid and illustrated with plenty of good exercises to work through. If the author seems a bit too "gee whiz" about the psychological aspects, that's not entirely unexpected when the psychology and interpretati ...more
Rich
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Read as a part of a graduate course. The greatest aspect of this book is also its greatest shortfall and that is: a prescriptive approach to problem-solving. These are basic and foundational concepts for dealing with uncertain and complex situations. What is useful is that the author readily admits that many of these tools are (at least partially) used already within the mind of the reader. What the text does accomplish is providing the reader with an awareness of how they misapply or only parti ...more
Cara
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is not perfect - at times it offers too many examples and not enough explanation, and this leads to confusion. Still, it's a useful collection of different methods that can be used to think through problems. Some I doubt would be all that useful to me (I don't trust my own judgment well enough to come up with the probabilities for various things occurring, so I don't think I'll ever be using utility trees/matrices), but others are surprisingly simple, like coming up with not just a lis ...more
Dana Kraft
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, nonfiction
Offers a good set of analytical tools for complex problem solving. If you can assemble all the right inputs, these tools help you get the right outputs. However, in my experience, the hard part is agreeing on the correct inputs (options, probabilities and range of outcomes).

If you're interested in this book, you should commit to doing the exercises in it. In that respect, this book is almost like a class. Reminds me of a class that I took at UT. Needless the say, the book is cheaper.
Josh
Aug 04, 2008 rated it liked it
I think the book has some good techniques to be sure. But it's hard reading something that is very much like a textbook. It makes me want to read more about choice architecture and how the brain's structural biases against certain kinds of decision making and perceptions. The idea of numerically assigning values for certain types of unknown social science conundrums seems to stretch the limits. Perhaps I'm more interested in the process than utility trees.
Dave
Jun 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in problem solving
I like books on metacognition and problem solving. This book may not appeal to everyone but I'm enjoying it. It's a good book on analysis and structuring problems for solving. The early chapters include a good overview on how the mind is prone to bias and error. It's expository so it can be slow going if you don't have an interest or need to learn the material. Worthwhile for anyone who deals with problem solving.
Ricardo Vargas
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: management
Decision making and problem solving techniques book with interesting information. Not a book that will solve all your problems :)

Livro sobre tomada de decisão e técnicas de resolução de problemas com informações interessantes. Não é um livro que irá resolver todos os seus problemas :)
TK Keanini
Apr 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thinkingtools
This dude was a former CIA analyst. The title is dumb but the book is good. Even if you think what he is saying is common sense, he offers you a more formal presentation and there will be something new to add to your toolkit.
Daniel
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, analysis
A tough read, but effective tools.
Riccardo
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Useful, simple and to the point. The techniques are basic but it is useful the showing of the different approaches required in problem solving.
Jenny
Apr 03, 2009 rated it liked it
I don't remember this book at all. Read in 1999
Kelly
Sep 30, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a useful, pragmatic little book that was well worth reading. I look forward to using the tools explained in this book to become a better analyst.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A should-read book on decision making and problem solving, which are two critical competencies in business life.
Christopher Jackson
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A great book for problem solving
Hans Marius
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
Useful read.
Rakesh
Aug 16, 2008 marked it as to-read
So far (first two chapters) it has been an excellent read... very insightful... very interesting.
Libby Kenya
  • Don't Believe Everything You Think: The 6 Basic Mistakes We Make in Thinking
  • Social Darwinism in American Thought
  • Acts of War: Behavior of Men in Battle
  • An Introduction to General Systems Thinking
  • 97 Things Every Project Manager Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2010
  • Identifying and Managing Project Risk: Essential Tools for Failure-Proofing Your Project
  • Musimathics: The Mathematical Foundations of Music, Volume 1
  • Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR): Basic Principles, Protocols, and Procedures
  • Understanding Terror Networks
  • The Life Coaching Handbook: Everything You Need to Be an Effective Life Coach
  • Music Theory for Computer Musicians: 0
  • The Deming Management Method
There is more than one author with this name
More about Morgan D. Jones
“Failure to consider alternatives fully is the most common cause of flawed or incomplete analysis.” 0 likes