Start by marking “The Frogs and Toads All Sang” as Want to Read:
The Frogs and Toads All Sang

The Frogs and Toads All Sang

(Frog and Toad #5)

From Caldecott Medalist Arnold Lobel (1933-1987) comes a brand-new collection of rhyming stories about frogs and toads. Discovered by his daughter, Adrianne Lobel, The Frogs and Toads All Sang has the same warmth, compassion, and humor that is found in his best-loved work. Brimming with sweet silliness, this new book reminds us why Arnold Lobel's characters continue to be ...more
Published May 26th 2009 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Frogs and Toads All Sang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Frogs and Toads All Sang

Cheryl
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Normally I'm not a fan of works published posthumously. It seems to me that if the author wanted it published, he would have done so... otherwise it can assumed that it just wasn't 'ready' or 'fit' for publication. However, this is a discovery by a daughter, and the verses are successful (charming, silly, etc. as others say), and I'm accepting it.

The only thing you need to know, besides the fact that I recommend it, is that has not as tight a controlled vocabulary as a Leveled Reader, and is the
Meaghan
Jul 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, poetry
This is the sweetest most darling and endearing collection Arnold Lobel has to offer. You read each little poem-story, gaze at the accompanying illustration, and immediately want to hug the frogs and toads to pieces. Illustrated in a different, more "honest" style than his classic Frog and Toad series, this book is a must-own.
Dolly
Feb 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet collection of poems by Arnold Lobel, and the fact that Adrianne Lobel put it together as a loving tribute to honor her father made it even more special. The illustrations are cute and the poems are fun.
Samantha
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria
So cute!! These rhymes are so very fun!!! My favorite is Bright Green Frog, because there is just something super cool about Clarinets, ; )
Mama Bibliosoph
I'm always on the lookout for standout illustrated poetry collections. Short poems are great for autistic kids. It's okay to have a short attention span when you read them, and there is usually some underlying structure or rhyme scheme.

The Frogs and Toads All Sang is a sweet, funny posthumous publication. The ten poems included were discovered in the papers of Arnold Lobel, best known for his award-winning Frog and Toad series, by his daughter, who illustrated the collection with easy watercolor
Elizabeth
3.0
Elisabeth Ensor
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read aloud for homeschool! Adorable children's poetry that my boys loved, my oldest even turned a few into a rap- ha ha!
Alyssa Haverfield
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very cute little rhymes that gave Nicholas and I a giggle.
Matt
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad. The poems are enjoyable enough as well as the illustrations but I’m glad there are more Lobel classics to enjoy other than this newly found collection. 3.5 stars.
Michelle
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This delightful collection of short, humorous poems written and illustrated by Arnold Lobel, and published posthumously, was lovingly painted by his daughter Adrienne. This collection is significant as it was the first time that Lobel had ever chosen frogs and toads as a subject. Lobel’s simple, pencil sketches are exuberant, lively and fun, and daughter Adrianne has chosen to closely mimic his style in her choice of watercolors for the illustrations—her decision to “paint wet” and to follow her ...more
Monika
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Our family is familiar with the early-reader format of Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad stories, which we love. So this collection of rhymes caught my eye during our most recent library visit.

The little poems contained in this book are simply charming. They're clever. Funny. Sweet. They are everything you'd expect from Arnold Lobel. C would pause to think after each one, then laugh and laugh once she "got" the humor.

In the book's introduction, Adrianne Lobel says these poems are the "first time [Arn
Bridget R. Wilson
May 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-poetry
Before he became famous for his Frog & Toad books, Arnold Lobel wrote and illustrated this collection as a gift for friends. Discovered in late 2008, Lobel's daughter Adrianne knew it needed to be published. She added the color to the illustrations herself. In ten poems, we get a glimpse of the young Arnold Lobel.

What I thought: I loved it! I enjoyed The Frogs and Toads All Sang as much as Odd Owls and Stout Pigs. In fact, I'd like to read all of Lobel's work. The poems are fun and the illus
Treasa
This group of poems written by Arnold Lobel and illustrated (partially) by his daughter Adrienne is absolutely delightful. Frankly, I have never been a huge fan of Lobel's Frog and Toad series (I acknowledge its importance to children's literature, but never really enjoyed the books), but these frogs and toads are just wonderful. Each poem is funny and clever, and the rhymes don't feel forced at all. The accompanying illustrations echo the fun of the poems. The illustrations are sketches by Lobe ...more
Lindsay
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a short collection of poems about frogs and toads written by the late Arnold Lobel, the author of the beloved Frog and Toad stories. The poems were discovered by his daughter, who is the illustrator of this collection.

I read three of the poems--"The Frogs and Toads All Sang," "Made for Toads," and "A Toad Was Feeling..."--for a toad- and frog-themed story time program at the Great Valley Museum of Natural History at Modesto Junior College. The poems are short, sweet, and silly. I also r
Molly
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
This is a collection of rhyming stories about frogs and toads written by Arnold Lobel, author of the famous Frog and Toad books. They were discovered by his daughter Adrianne Lobel after his death. While not an official part of the series, they serve as a nice companion. I found the poems delightful. It was a very pleasant discovery as I love the Frog and Toad books.
Ryan
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is a song/poetry book about the different activities that frog and toads do. I chose it for it's song and poetry value which is what I would use it in class for. This book could be used all the way up to 3rd graders. I would do some music and movement activities with my classroom. for instance, as each song has a theme I could create a corresponding movement or dance to go with the song.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
I loved the Frog and Toad books when I was little. My mom bought this previously-unpublished collection for me a couple of years ago. It's not really an official Frog and Toad book, but you can see how those developed from this earlier, private work. The poetry is cute and fun, as are the drawings. Families should enjoy reading this together.
Karen
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My five-year-old son picked this book out of the library this week. And I am so glad that he did.

These poems have all the wit and humor of the Frog and Toad stories, but with a heaping dose of charm. The illustrations, which are softer (and less 1970s) that those of the Frog and Toad, should prove to be timeless.

Adding this book to my list of books that I need to buy.
Rosa Cline
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a poem book. I usually do not read poetry to the kids because they get bored quickly, but this book the poems are all really good and fun to read. The illustrations are great to look at too...so my almost 3 year old granddaughter and I shared reading time, learning time and giggles last night as we read this book.
Jackie
The Frogs and Toads All Sang is a collection of short, humorous frog and toad tales. The colorful, imaginative illustrations and quick verses will be a welcome addition to the storytime theme.

Used for "Frog Fever" Family Storytime-May, 2010.
Carman
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Full of colorful pictures and funny poems (not songs), this book would be a great introduction to poetry for students K-2. I enjoyed reading a rhyme or 2 everyday as the students quietly lined up for lunch. They kept asking for more!
April
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture_books
Love this! Whimsical rhymes about silly frogs and toads...they drive fast, dance in lemonade and eat too much! Delightful watercolors by Arnold's daughter, Adrianne, who tells us in the introduction more about the unearthing of this book.
Edna
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sweet; really really sweet - Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad books have always been my favorites and what a wonderful tribute by his daughter, Adrianne Lobel to enhance his drawings and poetry with her artistic talent for watercolors.
Graceann Jacobson
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It was a cumulation of poems about frogs and toads, the pictures were nice and a few of the poems would be humorous to a child. Even though most didn't make sense the rhyming was excellent and easy to read.
Samantha Hastings
Sep 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Cute illustrations. Fun rimes. Nothing fabulous though.
N
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Wonderfully funny little poems....
Andrew
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: collin enochs
it was a cool ryming book
Martina Arguello
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
Great introduction to poetry for young kids.
Rachel
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lovely poems,classic Lobel
Shari
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Fun, simple, rhyming poems created by Arnold Lobel for his friend, Crosby Bonsall, discovered and colored by his daughter
  • Bunny Days
  • Mother, Mother, I Want Another
  • Worms for Lunch?
  • Piano Starts Here: The Young Art Tatum
  • A Million Dots
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.

Frog and Toad (5 books)
  • Frog and Toad Are Friends (Frog and Toad, #1)
  • Frog and Toad Together (Frog and Toad, #2)
  • Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3)
  • Days with Frog and Toad (Frog and Toad, #4)