Start by marking “Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom Of Landover 5)” as Want to Read:
Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom Of Landover 5)

Witches' Brew

(Magic Kingdom of Landover #5)

Former lawyer Ben Holiday was very proud and very happy. The Magic Kingdom was at peace. He was free to watch his daughter grow up. Alas, those idyllic days were not to last.
Published May 14th 2007 by Orbit (first published January 1st 1995)

Kelsey Hanson
Naomi
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I enjoy Terry Brooks and his easy to follow writing style, this book was a little underwhelming. It was a little more predictable than the average Brooks romp and the ending seemed quite rushed.

Brooks has a wonderful imagination and I love the concept of Landover but this wasn't as good as previous installments. I have the final chapter of this series out from the library. Out of loyalty to this author and some of his other great work I will see this through to the end...sigh...

2.5 s
Fefi
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi è piaciuta anche questa avventura di Ben e company con protagoniste la figlia e la strega del crepuscolo,anche se la trama è prevedibile,la magia resta anche in questo capitolo.
Rod
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Freakin awesome. Witches are Nasty... Dragons are Bad Ass!!! And Knights Rock. Anything else I say will give the story away...
Anna
Apr 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Landover is getting stale. It's a very small world built on a lovely pretext, but it feels that the main characters never evolve or acquire any depth. Any sympathy I might have felt for Nightshade upon learning her story is canceled by the fact that she never redeems herself and her demise (if in fact she did..demise) was anti-climatic. In Tangle Box, possibilities were opened up but never developed. I would like to see some of the characters grow out of the limited roles the author has put them ...more
Lee
Aug 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I couldn't believe how disinterested I was in Ben and Willow's storyline. I wanted to spend much more time with Nightshade and Mistaya or Abernathy, Quester, and Elizabeth. Maybe that's because I feel like Willow and Ben have gone about as far as they can go as characters. They do reveal some very personal secrets to each other in this book, but they're always accepting of each others' (mostly Ben's) faults.

Mistaya, on the other hand, gets to hear Nightshade's history, though somewhat edited, a
Dan
Oct 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy, fantasy
Another formulaic installment in Landover. Lines are drawn, allegiances are made more clear and resolution is found. I get the feeling that Mr. Brooks isn't really trying all that hard with this series. What bothered me most was the blatant time line problems between Earth and Landover. It wouldn't be bad if time progressed differently between the two worlds, but he explicitly said in The Black Unicorn that time in the two worlds progresses in tandem. I'm also confused as to why Mr. Brooks felt ...more
Jeremiah Johnson
This was a fairly fun adventure. There was more tension in it than in the previous novels.
Mistaya's character was interesting. There was a bit more development with Questor and Abernathy, although it was in another foray into Seattle for no real reason.
I still don't understand how Ben is so stupid though. His daughter is kidnapped and since he hasn't heard from his mortal enemy in two years, obviously she could have nothing to do with it...
Elizabeth Rausch
I liked it... but is anyone else beginning to feel like the Landover books are becoming cookie cutters of the first? I mean, how many times does Ben Holiday freaking have to find himself??? Does he just get lost that easily??? This book was a good attempt at breaking the 'Ben needs to find himself' cycle, but overall I was simply unimpressed.
Mitnal
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Questo volume aveva il compito di riportarmi un po' l'interesse alle vicende di Ben Holiday e company, visto che dopo il quarto mi sentivo un pochino satura nei suoi confronti. Insomma, ancor più dell'ultima volta mi sentivo poco ispirata dalle premesse sulla trama, temevo che Terry Brooks avesse forzato un po' le cose per tirare fuori a tutti costi qualcosa per non far finire una saga che ormai poteva tranquillamente mettere la parola "the end" in modo definitivo. Così, quando mi è arrivato, no ...more
Jeremy Manuel
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
After being disappointed with the last book of the Landover series, The Tangle Box, I found that Witches' Brew was largely a move in the right direction. There are some aspects of the book that are a little off, but in general it was a much stronger outing in Landover. Sometimes I really wish there was an opportunity to give half stars, because I probably would have given this a 4.5 if I could have.

On the positive side the book felt like the stakes were a bit higher and the villain was a bit mor
Tony
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Witches' Brew, much like it's predecessors in the Magic Kingdom of Landover series, is akin to a contemporary fairy tale; and if that's what you're expecting, you'll surely be delighted.

A direct sequel to The Tangle Box, Witches' Brew tells the tale of Mistaya, the unique child of the human king Ben Holiday and the sylvan creature Willow, as she faces her first challenge; which may or may not involve the witch with a personal vendetta against the King, Nightshade.

Landover is home to an assortme
Frank
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-tape
Terry Brooks was the author that got me to break away from fantasy when I was in middle school. I read three or four ponderous Shanarra tomes, and even tried the first book in this series, and didn't really like any of them. None of them were bad, but they were very formulaic, and really just plodded along in obvious directions, with most (actually for this book, it was all) of the conflicts being solved by deus ex machina rather through any cleverness.

This book was no different, but for some r
Kirstie
The villain plot in this is pretty complex compared to earlier villain plots, and I like a few of the twists within it. Some of the choices Questor and Abernathy make really got to me too.

This book had a lot more focus on the emotions of the characters eg/ Questors guilt for transforming Abernathy, more Ben struggling with the paladin and their link and what it means, and I liked being abe to get a little more in their heads and hearts.

There's plenty of rollicking adventure too with multiple cha
Dru
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
A nice return to Landover, but I’m starting to grow tired of the one dimensionlity of Nightshade. Added to that is the poor treatment of Abernathy. By now, his condition is no longer quaint, but should have been cured.

I guess it’s time for the sixth and final book in this series...
Linda
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
It has been at least ten years since I read The Tangle Box, #4 in the Landover series. This story did not evoke the same sense of wonder that I vaguely recall from Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold! and others in the series. I hope A Princess of Landover will be a fitting conclusion to the series. (Is it too much to hope that Elizabeth and Abernathy will get a happy ending?)
Emilee Powell
This has always been my least favorite Landover book. I find that when I read this novel, I don't develop a connection Mistaya until the last few chapters. Since the entire novel is about trying to recover her, it leaves me feeling rather ambivalent about the whole ordeal.
Rose Boyer
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great story! cute, witty and exciting series.
M Nyberg
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A little disappointed in the ending, but a very good series. Really enjoyed it.
Ray
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite in the series so far.
Brian O'Leary
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continues in the tradition of the others, a very good series.
Tatra
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, 2018-august, fantasy
I liked this one better than some of the others. I was uncertain about Mistaya at first, but she kind of grows on you. And Strabo is still best.
Ethan
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Witches' Brew by Terry Brooks, another good entry in the series.
David J. Reese
I mainly read this just to catch the end of a series that I forgot about after the 80's. It's not going to win any awards, but it is fun and easy.
Denise
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Margo
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The larger story arcs all came around to a close, and the series was decent reading. In the end, I think I liked all the bits about Questor Thews and Abernathy the best of all.
Scott Holstad
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what to think of this book. This is the fifth book in the series and I loved the first one so much, I've wanted to read all of the others. And most have been decent -- but not as good as the first one.

In this one, Ben Holiday and Willow's daughter, Mistaya, is growing at an astounding rate. She's two, but looks 10 and acts 15. In other words, she's a spoiled little bitch and entirely unlikeable and I didn't like this about the novel. And it centers around her, for the most part, so
Books-treasureortrash
Book Review: 3 Treasure Boxes

Mistaya, the new daughter of King Ben and Queen Willow is now two years old, but because of her unique heritage she looks like she's ten year and acts like she's twenty. When a strange challenger comes to threaten Ben, Mistaya is sent to her Grandfathers for protection with Questor and Abernathy, the only problem is they never arrive. Instead Mistaya is abducted by Nightshade after she banishes Questor and Abernathy to Ben's old world.

This is the fifth of six books i
Nola Redd
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-fantasy
Definitely an interesting read, and it left room for another Landover book. One thing I abhor in most fiction is the prevalence of the 'precocious child', as though no author were capable to make your average kid interesting. But the daughter of Ben Holiday and Willow, human and once-fairy born in the darkest part of the land, was given a logical reason for her rapid maturation - well, logical by fantasy novels anyway. Despite that, she retains the poor decision-making skills of an inexperienced ...more
Brooke Banks
This book is on par or better than the fourth book, Tangle Box. The fourth book was better, though still flawed, than the boring dismal second and third books.

I was correct about my predictions about Abernathy in my review for the 4th book. He is now again a dog but I still feel that he'll be back to his original state at the end of the series. There's only one book left, The Princess of Landover, which I will read next to find out the end.

It's no surprise that Nightshade came back to reek havoc
  • The Younger Gods (The Dreamers, #4)
  • Myth-Taken Identity (Myth Adventures, #15)
  • Dragonslayer's Return (Spearwielder's Tale, #3)
  • Phaze Doubt (Apprentice Adept #7)
  • Castle War! (Castle Perilous, #4)
  • Shadow Star (Chronicles of the Shadow War, #3)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more

Magic Kingdom of Landover (6 books)
  • Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1)
  • The Black Unicorn (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #2)
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
  • The Tangle Box (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #4)
  • A Princess of Landover (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #6)