Start by marking “Age of Ash (Kithamar, #1)” as Want to Read:
Age of Ash (Kithamar, #1)

Age of Ash

(Kithamar #1)

From New York Times bestselling and critically acclaimed author Daniel Abraham, co-author of The Expanse , comes a monumental epic fantasy trilogy that unfolds within the walls of a single great city, over the course of one tumultuous year, where every story matters, and the fate of the city is woven from them all.

“An atmospheric and fascinating tapestry, woven with
Published February 15th 2022 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Age of Ash, please sign up.

Start your review of Age of Ash (Kithamar, #1)
Allen Walker
Jan 09, 2022 rated it it was amazing
4.5⭐

Full review here: https://youtu.be/7sX5fJug938

I am certain that this will go up once I've read the second book, as that is generally what happens every time I read an Abraham series. Age of Ash is definitely a "1st Book in an Abraham series" which may turn some people off, but I urge everyone to trust that Abraham always plays the long 'pull'; his payoffs are everything.

Great character work and explorations of grief, family, loyalty, and friendship and I can't wait to see where book 2 goes
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Check out my Booktube channel at: The Obsessive Bookseller

[4.5/5 stars] Abraham’s writing sings to my soul.

I find his stories incredibly addicting. I had a massive TBR in between me and this book, but kept finding myself opening it to read a couple pages at a time. The first several passages were so gripping, by the time I was “supposed” to be reading it, I was already almost 20% in.

There are so many things I love about Abraham’s stories. One being the subtle, yet robust world building that just
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
A really enjoyable story, if a somewhat straightforward one as the characters journey doesn’t do a whole lot to expand the world. We rarely move out of the slums the story takes place in. The story told is very sad. It’s deep and is written in a very prophetic sort of way. It definitly has some fairly poignant messages about the state of our own planet as well. (there's a disease and quarantined sections in the slums.) My flaws come from the characters themselves who all felt like the same perso ...more
Nils | nilsreviewsit
Jan 02, 2022 rated it it was amazing

“For one night, Kithamar is a city between worlds and between ages. It falls out of its own history, at once the end of something and the beginning of something else.”

Age of Ash is the first in a new epic fantasy trilogy by well-known author Daniel Abraham. Despite owning The Dagger and Coin series for years, this is my first foray into Abraham’s novels, but after being utterly enchanted by his prose, I definitely want to read more.

Our tale is set in the illustrious city of Kithamar, a
Christi M
Jan 02, 2022 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
"Longhill's always Longhill."

The strength of this story lies in its world building. It takes only a second to realize the world Daniel Abraham has created is rich with history and is well-developed. The characters reference that history time and time again. They know which district they have come from and what it means. It means that “Longhill’s always Longhill.” No matter where you go – you’re always a Longhill. It’s the type of story that gives you the distinct impression that the author h
LIsa Noell "Rocking the Chutzpah!"
Not a fan of the writing style. This is a nope for me!
Brent
Jan 27, 2022 rated it it was ok
Shelves: epic-fantasy
ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

As a big fan of The Expanse series, which is co-authored by Daniel Abraham, I was excited for this new release fantasy solo project of his. The premise sounded very intriguing so when the chance to get an arc came up I jumped on it. It sounded like a murder mystery intertwined with fantasy and that is something I love. In fact the way that was executed in The Justice of Kings was almost perfect. However, what I got with Age of Ash left q
Thomas Wagner
Jan 30, 2022 rated it liked it
Daniel Abraham at long last completed the groundbreaking Expanse series with writing partner Ty Franck at the end of 2021. So expectations are understandably high for his return to epic fantasy, a genre in which he’s already released two critically acclaimed series, The Long Price Quartet and The Dagger and the Coin. Age of Ash is the first volume of a new trilogy set in Kithamar, a massive walled city divided by a deep river, and ruled by the Hansch, a race of people who live mostly in the weal ...more
Mayim de Vries
Like the master storyteller he is, Daniel Abraham returns with yet another extraordinary tale. Don't be fooled by the deceiving simplicity of the plot: setting and characterisation take this novel far beyond your tropey street-rat story into the realm where human longings are shaped.

FRTC

I will probably regret reading it now instead of waiting for the whole series to binge at will, but there are a few writers who are irresistible and Daniel Abraham is one of them.

Also in the series:
[I know you
Ben Coleman
Jan 29, 2022 rated it really liked it
For anyone who has never read an Abraham novel before, be aware of what you're getting into with his first book in a series. It's a slow, methodical unravelling of the plot, world and characters that really may - and often times does - put people off continuing. Nevertheless, I have full faith in his ability to hit pay offs later in series that elevate that original entry. I think I will enjoy this book a lot more on re-read before the second book comes out. Basically, stick with it! Abraham is ...more
Dave
Age of Ash is the first book in a fantasy trilogy set in the city of Kithomar with a plot setup centering around gangs of orphans who set about pickpocketing the populace, mysterious witches, and a knife of power. It is a well-developed fantasy world, but the action takes rather awhile to develop and it often does not succeed in fully capturing the reader's attention.
Queralt✨
Jan 31, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daniel Abraham does it again, ladies and germs. He (and Ty) rocked my world with The Expanse series and not that it's gone, and I'm in the period of mourning, I can say the Kithamar series has been like a drug for the past few days. I am going to add a bit under my review in case anyone who was an Expanse fan wants to know if this is for them.

Kithamar is a city of many colors and many schemes. Those who have coin and royalty hire petty thieves and lowlives to perform roles in their stratagems. A
Library of a Viking
I have finally read my first Daniel Abraham book!

Daniel Abraham’s books have been on my tbr! I have heard great things about The Expanse, The Long Price Quartet and The Dagger and the Coin series, but for some reason, I have never gotten around to reading any of Abraham’s books. I was very excited when OrbitBooks sent a review copy of Age of Ash! This finally gave me an excuse to read some of Abraham’s work. So what did I think?

Age of Ash is the first book in The Kithamar trilogy and follows Aly
Emma
Alys is just another nobody from Longhill, a gutter rat relying on ‘pulls’ to survive. Each theft wins her little more than enough to keep a roof over her head and food in her belly, the spoils shared between disparate players, together only for the sake of the job. Her big brother Darro, on the other hand, is running far bigger plays. The high-stakes kind that might help him escape this low-born world. That kind that brings in gold. That gets him killed. Losing the only family she cares about p ...more
Katy
Dec 30, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy_2021
Age of Ash follows the tale of the city of Kithamar during a tumultous time in history with assassinations, rivalling gangs and religous cults abound. We mainly follow Alys, a young thief from the slums who sets out to avenge the murder of her brother and learn who killed him and why. As she uncovers more about her brother and his secrets, she inadvertenly peels back the layers of a conspiracy that threatens the entire city. Alys and her allies (some old friends, some relcutant, some trushworthy ...more
Kyle Erickson
Feb 14, 2022 rated it it was ok
DNF @ 63%

I don't care about anything happening in this book at all. The characters don't interest me and the plot certainly doesn't interest me. However, Abraham's prose is great, and I will certainly read other stuff from him. In fact, I may try this book again at another time when I am more in the mood for something like this. But it wasn't vibing with me at all, I've already essentially forgotten it as I'm writing this review, and so pressing on until the end seems like a bad time.
Grace Dionne
Jan 29, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2022
3.75⭐️

Thank you to Netgalley for sending me an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review!

I have some mixed feelings about Age of Ash, but a lot of what Daniel Abraham does well still ended up shining through and I thought this was a solid first entry to the series in the end!

I'll have a full video review coming out closer to the release date :)
Dominic
3.5 stars, but I think closer to a 3 than a 4.

Age of Ash is a bit of a strange one for me, because I usually leave my reviews for a couple of days after finishing the book, and let everything sink in, mull it over for a bit. With this one though, I’ve had plenty of time and although I enjoyed it overall, I find I don’t have an awful lot to say about it!

I think that unless you delve into the themes, or the specific character motivations, that is sometimes the conundrum with reviewing a Daniel Abr
Kitty G Books
DNF

Alas this one just wasn’t capturing my attention and I ended up DNF-ing it around 40%. Whilst the premise of the book, a sister on a revenge quest, sounded like it could well appeal to me, I just never felt a connection with the MCs and I ended up finding excuses to pick up other titles over this one. This is the second adult fantasy I’ve tried by Abraham and despite enjoying the SF Expanse series he co-writes I haven’t been able to click with his solo fantasy titles just yet unfortunately. I
Lena (Sufficiently Advanced Lena)
First thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for giving me access to this book.

Now Age of Ash is a new book by the coauthor of the Expanse. As a huge fan of the series I have always wanted to read his fantasy but this is my first time with it.
Having said that I will say I'm not disappointed at all bu there were a couple that things that weren't exactly my cup of tea.

Let's start with the good. Kithamar gave me exactly what I wanted. I love fantasy books that are more confined, instead of a giganti
Justine
Feb 28, 2022 rated it liked it
Check out more bookish thoughts and content here.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This review is spoiler-free.

I really enjoyed Age of Ash! It has strong Joe Abercrombie vibes (minus the banter), and the world building was so wonderful. The city of Kithamar is as much a character in this story as any of the people we follow - I feel like I know my way through the streets because it just came to life as I was reading.

The plot slowed down a little
Blaise
Feb 03, 2022 rated it liked it
I wish I loved this book more than this but sadly it missed the mark for me. Worldbuilding and atmosphere are amazing but I just didn't really care for the characters. Maybe book 2 will change my mind. Some readers will love this book. Unfortunately I wasn't one of them ...more
Michele
Nov 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God I love Daniel Abraham. He writes fantasy like a historian, and I love him for it. You just know he has the answers if you ask him a question about his world and answers in the plural because he understands history isn’t a single thing but a mess of things all tangled together that we try to make whole for the comfort of the present. And this book is so steeped in the history of the place he’s made. His worldbuilding always makes me jealous, which is my highest compliment. Also I adore Alys a ...more
Silvana
The book is not bad but it just took too much effort for me. The city Kithamar felt alive, the description is very good and atmospheric, but plot wise, very few happened in so many pages.

ETA: This - especially the long self-contemplation parts - reminds me of Long Price Quartet. It was Dan's first series and was not my favorite one. Still good, but not great. Having said that, I might still give this series another chance.
sol
Feb 22, 2022 rated it it was ok
Shelves: series, dnf, arcs, adult, fantasy
dnf @ 38%
i just dont care and i have no motivation to finish this book
i will try more abraham this just really wasn't working for me
Kara Babcock
New trilogy from one half of the James S.A. Corey duo? Definitely interested. Disclaimer: I don’t think I read beyond Leviathan Wakes in The Expanse series, but maybe I’ll go back one day. For now, though, let’s talk about Age of Ash. Abraham sets us up to expect heists, recrimination, and plenty of intrigue. I would say that this book mostly delivers, though I could see how there is room for disappointment depending on the type of expectations one goes in with.

Thanks to NetGalley and Orbit for
Mark - Shield Anvil
Feb 17, 2022 rated it really liked it
"She'd thought she was happy. She'd thought she was doing better. Now, every bright feeling she'd had-every triumph, every laugh, every good night-seemed like a cheap song bellowed out to cover the weeping. A small voice in her mind calmly said This is only a hard moment. Ever since it happened, there have been hard moments. This one will pass too. But she didn't believe it."

Age of Ash, the first book in the Kithamar trilogy by Daniel Abraham, weaves a very dark and solemn story. The main charac
Erin
Feb 11, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, arc
This is my first time reading Daniel Abraham and I don't think it will be my last!

Age of Ash takes places in the city of Kithamar over the course of one year. We primarily follow Alys in the aftermath of her brother's murder. In addition we also get a primary POV from Sammish, a girl from the neighborhood who has a hopeless crush on Alys and strives to help her. And we get some secondary points of view from a few other characters scattered around the city.

What this book really knocked out of the
D. B. Guin
Mar 08, 2022 rated it really liked it
Alright alright alright alright.

This was an all-around neat package. Characters well-made, nuanced and evolving. Worldbuilding distinct and present and intricate, but not overwhelming or burdensome. If anything, the story is the slow part, but I didn't mind that.

Kithamar is a harsh city in a harsh world, and the members of its disadvantaged ethnic group live a nasty, brutish, and short existence if they aren't skilled or ruthless enough to make ends meet.

Our first main character is Alys. She st
Alexandra
Jun 25, 2022 rated it really liked it
Okay I don't know what the hell I just read but I enjoyed it the world building the the grey characters the interesting the cover is gorgeous definitely want book two ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Age of Ash - Daniel Abraham [March 1, 2022] 68 45 May 01, 2022 10:58AM

• The Justice of Kings (Empire of the Wolf, #1)
  • The Last Graduate (The Scholomance, #2)
  • The Lincoln Highway
  • A Touch of Ruin (Hades & Persephone, #2)
  • Cloud Cuckoo Land
  • Engines of Empire (The Age of Uprising, #1)
  • Men at Arms (Discworld, #15; City Watch #2)
  • The Atlas Six (The Atlas, #1)
  • State of Terror
  • The Last House on Needless Street
  • The Hunger of the Gods (The Bloodsworn Saga, #2)
  • The Girl and the Moon (Book of the Ice, #3)
  • Game On: Tempting Twenty-Eight (Stephanie Plum, #28)
  • The Lost Village
  • Doors of Sleep (Journals of Zaxony Delatree #1)
  • The Dark Hours (Renée Ballard, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #35)
  • Blind Vigil (Rick Cahill #7)
  • The Wise Women
See top shelves…
Daniel James Abraham, pen names M.L.N. Hanover and James S.A. Corey, is an American novelist, comic book writer, screenwriter, and television producer. He is best known as the author of The Long Price Quartet and The Dagger and the Coin fantasy series, and with Ty Franck, as the co-author of The Expanse series of science fiction novels, written under the joint pseudonym James S.A. Co ...more

Articles featuring this book

Science fiction and fantasy are the go-to genres for writers—and readers!—who like to explore the wilder borderlands of contemporary fiction....