Start by marking “New Tricks (Andy Carpenter #7)” as Want to Read:
New Tricks (Andy Carpenter #7)

New Tricks

(Andy Carpenter #7)

Andy Carpenter gains possession of an adorable Bernese puppy whose owner was brutally murdered. Few can rival Andy's affection for dogs, and he will do whatever it takes to insure that this little pup doesn't fall into the wrong hands. However, his playful new friend is valued by several people, many of whom are willing to resort to violence to get what they want. It will ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about New Tricks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Tricks

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareAn Echo in the Bone by Diana GabaldonBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
Best Books of 2009
1,656 books — 6,951 voters
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Great "Dog" Books
1,075 books — 1,875 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of New Tricks (Andy Carpenter #7)
Jaline
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: xx2018-completed
We’ve all heard of lawyers who have been labelled, “Lawyer to the Stars”, yes? Apparently the Stars have a great deal of litigious activity in their lives, in-between walks on the red carpet, posing for photo-ops, getting their names and outlandish stories published in the tabloids, and so forth.

Andy Carpenter is not that kind of lawyer. He lives in New Jersey so maybe there aren’t a lot of Stars there. He is, however, becoming known as “Lawyer to the dogs”. Last book he defended a dog who also
Freda Malone
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
David Rosenfelt is always going to be a favorite. I will like some of his books more than others but he will always have my loyalty. I’ve asked Mr. Rosenfelt to include dogs more in his books and it looks as though he was a few steps (books) ahead of me on that subject. *chuckling*

New Tricks has a Bernese Mountain puppy as the star in this book. The Timmermans are a prominent family, having the father, Walter, who is a scientist as well as a show dog handler. A potential champion Bernese puppy
Betty
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the Tara books by David Rosenfelt. I have not read this one before so I was pleased to download it. This one felt in of several events I was missing. Andy Carpenter has become noted as the lawyer for dogs as he is involved in several of his cases.
A judge gives Andy a case of deciding who will receive custody of a Bernese Shepard puppy. Andy picked up Waggy and just as he leaves the building a bomb exploded and killed all in the building. Now there is only one left wanting the puppy.
Amanda McGill
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Not the best Andy Carpenter novel, but still enjoyable.

In the 7th novel in the series, Andy has a new client, this one being a dog, Waggy. Andy has to find the best owner for Waggy and takes the dog in until he does so. But with potential owners dying or being arrested, this case is harder than Andy thought.

I enjoy the novel. It has the typical humour that I expect when reading one of Rosenfelt's novels. I found the storyline to be a bit far fetched and the courtroom drama was lacking a bit.

Joanne Moyer
After a couple of cases involving dogs, Andy Carpenter has gained the title of The Dog Lawyer and when a custody case comes up concerning a Bernese Mountain puppy, the judge gives Andy temporary custody until the case is decided. Things becomes more involved when the dog's owner and his wife are killed and a number of people come forward demanding custody of the puppy. Andy finds himself defending the son of the owner for murder and for custody of Waggy the dog.

This was a book I pulled off the
Ellen
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
"New Tricks" by David Rosenfelt.

This is a new series and author for me. I chose this book because of the author's inclusion of dogs in the story.

Andy Carpenter is an attorney but not your usual attorney. that is Andy represents dogs! In this case Andy is representing a Burmese mountain puppy. It seems the pups owner has been murdered which has thrown the little pup into an all out custody battle.

But ...there's more to it than just another custody battle over a dog...much more and it involves
Caroline
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Listened to this on audio. LOVE the books, the writing, the series, the sense of humor portrayed by the main character. I also appreciate that the stories revolve around dogs! Looking forward to making my way through the rest of the series!
Lexie Wall
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book "New Tricks" by David Rosenfelt is an excellent story. It not only puts you on the edge of your seat wondering about a mysterious murder, but the author, David, also throws in some romance to get the people going. If you love dogs, mysteries, romance, and a great sence of humor,I highly reccommend this book. The main character, Andy Carpenter, basically narrates the story from his point of view, and I tell you, he and I have the same sence of humor! Although once in a while you may come ...more
Mayda
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, audio, dogs
Andy has temporary custody of a show puppy nicknamed Waggy. Waggy's ownership is in dispute when his owner is killed. When the son of the deceased owner is arrested for murder, Andy is sure he is innocent. How could anyone who loves Waggy as much as he obviously does be a killer? Andy has a lot to chew on as he tries to separate the good guys from the bad. And those he loves may also be in danger. Great characters and great writing combine for a great story.
Thelma
Dec 07, 2013 rated it liked it
It was average. I should have written the review right after reading it, because the story and characters are very vague in my memory after only two days. That pretty much says it all.
Cat
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never tire of reading about Andy and Tara's antics :)
Janet
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Audio book format. Love the reader! Great jokes and laugh out loud moments. Complicated story line with deep character drama.
Liz V.
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Carpenter is appointed attorney for Waggy, a dog whose owner has been murdered and whose custody is sought by the owner's son and by the owner's former partner in show dogs. Carpenter wants to have the court award custody to the son, but first Carpenter must prove that the son is not a murderer.

The books in this series have all featured convoluted plots, with plenty of enjoyable twists and turns. This book, however, has Carpenter throwing around theories without detailed analysis and
Carol
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
By now, most people know I love these books. This one was especially good for a few reasons, including I didn't guess who did it, and I cried on and off between pages 65 and 73.
Eileen Lynx
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story. I like the new puppy.
LJ
First Sentence: “Andy Carpenter, Lawyer to the Dogs.”

Attorney Andy Carpenter inherited enough money so he can work only when he wants, or when a judge assigns him a pro bono case. When the head of a large pharmaceutical company and owner of a Bernese mountain dog puppy is murdered, Carpenter is asked to take care of the dog until the custody fight between the man’s widow and son is settled.

He doesn’t expect that when he picks the dog up, the house explodes and the original owner’s widow is
Kathy
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andy Carpenter is a dog-loving multi-millionaire defense attorney in my hometown of Paterson, New Jersey. He has a sarcastic wit and crime-solving buddies that include his long-distance girlfriend, his partner attorney who dispenses free legal aid from a Laundromat, a computer hacker, a big, quiet, scary dude named Marcus, an FBI-agent, a reporter at the local paper, a local cop and a couple who run a local dog rescue organization. Throw in a crotchety judge named "Hatchet" who starts this story ...more
Marcia
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2014, kindle, mystery
Another wonderful entry in the Andy Carpenter series. I love the way these characters are growing, and that is probably more intriguing to me than the mysteries themselves.

Opening lines:
"Andy Carpenter, Lawyer to the Dogs." That was the USA Today headline on a piece that ran about me a couple of months ago. It was a favorable story overall, but the headline was obviously designed to make a humorous comparison between me and those celebrity attorneys who are often referred to as "lawyers to the
Mary
Where has this series been hiding? This is my first book by this author and I am going to go back and read all of the catalogue. Normally, I am all about reading series in order, but I picked up right away on all of the recurring characters. The writing is spectacular and you feel like you are watching a movie rather than reading the words.

Andy Carpenter, our hero lawyer who rescues Golden Retrievers is someone you would like to have as a neighbor, well, all except that he tends to bring what
Dorie
Aug 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
I always enjoy David Rosenfelt's books. He writes with a simple humor but always with an intriguing mystery at the heart that you have difficulty figuring out until he end. And his love of dogs always shines through his stories. In this one, defense attorney Andy Carpenter is in the unique postition of resolving a custody fight for a Burnese mountain dog puppy. The puppy belonged to the recently murdered Walter Timmerman, a prominent man of wealth. Walter's wife and son are now fighting for ...more
Sue
Apr 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, animals
Looking for an enjoyable, but quick and easy read? Love dogs? Enjoy mysteries? Then look no further; the Andy Carpenter series is for you! In this particular story, Andy Carpenter, aka Lawyer to the Dogs, is representing a Bernese mountain dog puppy in a custody fight. It seems that someone would rather have puppy dead than see him fall into the "wrong" hands. But who? Andy must protect the puppy (apparently, there are no canine witness protection programs), discover the would-be killer's ...more
Pat C.
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love Andy and Tara Carpenter, Laurie Collins, the love of Andy’s life, Willie Miller, the happy go lucky black belt dog lover, Marcus Clark, the monosyllabic bodyguard and investigator extraordinaire, Pete Stanton, the spend happy (as long as it’s Andy’s money he’s spending), lieutenant, Vince Sanders, the grumpy journalist, Waggy, cute Bernese puppy, Edna the lazy secretary/crossword puzzle doyenne, Kevin, the hypochondriacal brilliant legal mind, Sam, the song talking hacker accountant, and ...more
Myrna
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of David Rosenfelt's books. I try to read them as they come out, but somehow I missed this one. When I started the book, I knew I had not read it, but it seemed familiar. I think that's because the characters are the same and the style is the same. This is a good thing. Rosenfelt's books are easy to read and his characters are fun. Attorney Andy Carpenter gets involved with a murder that involves a custody fight for a dog. Andy is a dog lover, so we see this theme often in these books. ...more
Beppie
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you like stories with wise-cracking detective/lawyers, mysteries and crimes of many varieties, and Golden Retreivers...
Wait. We all KNOW that Goldies come FIRST in any list of loves! But I digress...then you will love this series by David Rosenfelt! "New Tricks" is the 7th in the series that prominently features Tara the Golden girl of criminal investigation and her owner Andy, the aforementioned wise-a**!!

You could read any of the novels as stand alones, but to get the full on Tara/Andy
Melissa
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Andy Carpenter is back and just as great always. He gets called back from his time off for a weird case and its one he can't say no to. To his disappointment Mrs. Timerman and her stepson are fighting for custody of her recently deceased husband's dog.

I really enjoyed listening to New Tricks. Andy Carpenter's skills as a dog lawyer are always remarkable and then you can't help but fall in love with his clients. This book was fast but well paced and left you wondering what would happen until
Lindsay
This was another excellent book by a great writer!

I enjoyed the twists and turns this plot took.

The one thing I did notice about the book that I was a little disappointed about was that there seemed to be way more focus on the dog and way less about defending a guy for murder. This irritated me a little as it feels like this author should still keep this character mostly in law scenarios.

That being said I still really loved the book and would recommend it to anyone who loves law, mysteries or
Kristy Budner
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Andy Carpenter does it again! Another dog for a client! The dog's owner was brutally murdered and Andy has to find out who the next rightful owner of Waggy is. But there's a murder to the story so Andy's work is not done until the case is solved. Of course, he gets a little help from his own dog, Tara, as well as his friends Vince, Sam, Pete, Willie and his girlfriend Laurie. All the characters are there and the plot is good. Don't miss this one.
Manvacamp2000
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rosenfelt is my new favorite writer. You have to listen to one of his on audio before reading the rest so you get that twangy New York 'voice' when reading these books.

That being said, as a dog lover, he brings a great perspective to the mystery genre in a vein like Lilian Jackson Braun's 'Cat Who' series. If you found that series and the characters a little too 'cat', then you'll find this a series right in the correct 'dog' perspective.
Alan Livingston
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, dogs
OK, so my intention was to make it through the entire Andy Carpenter series, but I think I need a break. Even the curve-balls in the plot are becoming predictable, and that's not good. I enjoyed there being even more dog in this story than the previous series books. When I assess which of all this series to recommend at the peril of all the others, this may make the cut. For now, though, I'll have to move on.
Donna Mcnab
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
The papers are now calling Andy Carpenter "The lawyer to the dogs" due his latest courtroom antics involving dogs. When Walter Timmerman is murdered, Andy is put in charge of deciding whether his pup, 7 month old Bertran II, better known as Waggy, should be handed over to the widow, Diana, or the son, Steven. Again this all makes for an entertaining read with many plot twists.

• Heart of Barkness (Chet and Bernie Mystery, #9)
  • Here Comes Santa Paws (Melanie Travis, #24)
  • Cat Seeing Double (Joe Grey, #8)
  • Bite Club (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 22)
  • By Any Means (Detective Ash Rashid #3)
  • Ruff vs. Fluff (Queenie & Arthur #1)
  • Scents and Sensibility (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #8)
  • Terns of Endearment (Meg Langslow, #25)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • The Corpse on the Court (Fethering, #14)
  • Cat Spitting Mad (Joe Grey, #6)
  • One Good Deed
  • Penned (Kate Turner, DVM #4)
  • Killer in the Carriage House (Victorian Village Mysteries #2)
  • Owl Be Home for Christmas: A Meg Langslow Mystery
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • Night Film Extended Sampler
I am a novelist with 27 dogs.

I have gotten to this dubious position with absolutely no planning, and at no stage in my life could I have predicted it. But here I am.

My childhood was relentlessly normal. The middle of three brothers, loving parents, a middle-class home in Paterson, New Jersey. We played sports, studied sporadically. laughed around the dinner table, and generally had a good time. By

Andy Carpenter (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter #1)
  • First Degree (Andy Carpenter #2)
  • Bury the Lead (Andy Carpenter #3)
  • Sudden Death (Andy Carpenter #4)
  • Dead Center (Andy Carpenter #5)
  • Play Dead (Andy Carpenter #6)
  • Dog Tags (Andy Carpenter #8)
  • One Dog Night (Andy Carpenter #9)
  • Leader of the Pack (Andy Carpenter #10)
  • Unleashed (Andy Carpenter #11)