Jump to ratings and reviews
Andy Carpenter gains possession of an adorable Bernese puppy whose owner was brutally murdered. Few can rival Andy's affection for dogs, and he will do whatever it takes to insure that this little pup doesn't fall into the wrong hands. However, his playful new friend is valued by several people, many of whom are willing to resort to violence to get what they want. It will take more than Andy's usual courtroom theatrics to save this dog, including a little help from his beloved golden retriever, Tara. Andy soon discovers that anyone around him is in danger, including his long-time girlfriend Laurie, and he will have to muster all of his wits to save those he holds most dear.

309 pages, Hardcover

First published August 6, 2009

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

David Rosenfelt

61 books2,214 followers
I am a novelist with 27 dogs.

I have gotten to this dubious position with absolutely no planning, and at no stage in my life could I have predicted it. But here I am.

My childhood was relentlessly normal. The middle of three brothers, loving parents, a middle-class home in Paterson, New Jersey. We played sports, studied sporadically. laughed around the dinner table, and generally had a good time. By comparison, "Ozzie and Harriet's" clan seemed bizarre.

I graduated NYU, then decided to go into the movie business. I was stunningly brilliant at a job interview with my uncle, who was President of United Artists, and was immediately hired. It set me off on a climb up the executive ladder, culminating in my becoming President of Marketing for Tri-Star Pictures. The movie landscape is filled with the movies I buried; for every "Rambo", "The Natural" and "Rocky", there are countless disasters.

I did manage to find the time to marry and have two children, both of whom are doing very well, and fortunately neither have inherited my eccentricities.

A number of years ago, I left the movie marketing business, to the sustained applause of hundreds of disgruntled producers and directors. I decided to try my hand at writing. I wrote and sold a bunch of feature films, none of which ever came close to being actually filmed, and then a bunch of TV movies, some of which actually made it to the small screen. It's safe to say that their impact on the American cultural scene has been minimal.

About fourteen years ago, my wife and I started the Tara Foundation, named in honor of the greatest Golden Retriever the world has ever known. We rescued almost 4,000 dogs, many of them Goldens, and found them loving homes. Our own home quickly became a sanctuary for those dogs that we rescued that were too old or sickly to be wanted by others. They surround me as I write this. It's total lunacy, but it works, and they are a happy, safe group.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
71 (1%)
1 star
10 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 527 reviews
Profile Image for Jaline.
444 reviews1,588 followers
February 5, 2018
We’ve all heard of lawyers who have been labelled, “Lawyer to the Stars”, yes? Apparently the Stars have a great deal of litigious activity in their lives, in-between walks on the red carpet, posing for photo-ops, getting their names and outlandish stories published in the tabloids, and so forth.

Andy Carpenter is not that kind of lawyer. He lives in New Jersey so maybe there aren’t a lot of Stars there. He is, however, becoming known as “Lawyer to the dogs”. Last book he defended a dog who also turned out to be the sole witness in a murder. This time around, we have Waggy.

Waggy is a Bernese Mountain dog puppy and his name has to do with a wagon, but I will leave you to find out how they connect. His real name is Bertrand II although Waggy suits him in more ways than one. He is rambunctious and has figured out that fetch means he runs to the ball and then chews on it until the human walks over to retrieve it and then they start over. He can also lie down and “be calm”; it’s just that he doesn’t do it on command unless he’s in the mood for a nap.

There are several murders in this action-packed novel, and most of them seem to be tied directly to Waggy. No, he doesn’t murder anyone, but it seems that people connected to him do get murdered. Andy Carpenter, our “Lawyer to the Dogs”, becomes the court-appointed custodian of Waggy until permanent custody can be awarded to someone, but the list of possible candidates keeps getting shorter.

Tara, Andy Carpenter’s lovely Golden Retriever, sometimes remembers her own puppyhood when she is around Waggy, but other times she is like a very patient mother nearing the end of her tether. Laurie travels out from Wisconsin for a visit, Andy and his friend Sam continue to “song-talk” while discussing their case, and Kevin helps out as usual, despite his almost-100 clients that he sees for free at his “Law-dromat” where folks come to do laundry and get free legal advice during the dry cycle.

Zany, funny, intense, and spiced with heart-stopping suspense, this was another fabulous read in the Andy Carpenter series. Quite simply, I can’t wait until my series rotation moves around so I can read the next one!
Profile Image for Tina.
2,306 reviews1 follower
September 11, 2021
This is a Legal Mystery, and this is the 7th book in the Andy Carpenter series. I loved the characters and the dogs in this book series. Andy is back being a lawyer for a dog in this book, and I love it. This book is full with action and suspense. I really loved the ending, and the twist at the end. This is a book of a really who did it? and why? and what to do with the dog? Love it.
Profile Image for Freda Malone.
378 reviews58 followers
March 23, 2016
David Rosenfelt is always going to be a favorite. I will like some of his books more than others but he will always have my loyalty. I’ve asked Mr. Rosenfelt to include dogs more in his books and it looks as though he was a few steps (books) ahead of me on that subject. *chuckling*

New Tricks has a Bernese Mountain puppy as the star in this book. The Timmermans are a prominent family, having the father, Walter, who is a scientist as well as a show dog handler. A potential champion Bernese puppy named Waggy. Walter has discovered and invented a secret in his lab that puts him in danger and he is found shot in an alley. His son Steven is the accused since he and his father rarely saw eye to eye on certain matters, especially concerning their wealth. While Steven is awaiting trial, Andy Carpenter once again steps in to help a fellow dog lover, and bodies pile up. Andy is playing ‘clue’ during the trial.

1. It was Steven Timmerman, the son, with a gun, in an alley next to a dumpster.
2. It was Mr. Childs, a hired hitman, with an explosive, in the basement of the Timmerman home.
3. It was Mr. Robinson, an avid professional dog show handler, with cyanide, in Andy’s backyard.
4. It was Mr. Sykes, part shareholder of Timmo Inc, with a virus, in Mr. Robinson's kitchen.
5. It was Mr. Jacoby, Walter’s lab partner, with a gun and suicide call, in the den of Mr. Sykes home.

While I do enjoy the game clue, it was evident that Andy was making a bunch of incorrect assumptions that lead to dead bodies piling up the closer he got to exonerating Steven Timmerman of his father’s death. I really felt like I was in the middle of the game of Clue!

Andy’s love, Laurie, is shot in the process of all this. Poor Laurie. Every time she visits Andy, her life is in danger of these cases Andy tries. Only this time she is in a coma and barely survives. If it were me, I would have high-tailed it back to Wisconsin and forgot about Andy! Good grief, she is glutton for punishment. Oh well, love conquers all, I suppose.

I saw yet another side of Marcus in this story. The burly, big, scary bodyguard that communicates through ‘grunting’ has made a friend. When he kidnaps and hides ‘Waggy’, the Bernese puppy, to keep him from harm, he spends days in Andy’s basement playing with the dog. Funny! I loved it.

Poor Tara, she is such a love in this book and starting to fade into the background as Andy brings more dogs home during his latest trials. I do hope Andy and Laurie find her a permanent companion soon.
Profile Image for Betty.
2,006 reviews50 followers
November 14, 2018
I enjoy the Tara books by David Rosenfelt. I have not read this one before so I was pleased to download it. This one felt in of several events I was missing. Andy Carpenter has become noted as the lawyer for dogs as he is involved in several of his cases.
A judge gives Andy a case of deciding who will receive custody of a Bernese Shepard puppy. Andy picked up Waggy and just as he leaves the building a bomb exploded and killed all in the building. Now there is only one left wanting the puppy.
Laurie is hurt and Andy feels he might lose her. He becomes the attorney for the son who is accused of killing his Father and Stepmother. Will Andy succeed in winning the son freedom? I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK AND SERIES.
Profile Image for Judy.
1,573 reviews26 followers
January 8, 2020
During December I didn’t write reviews of books that I read. Life was too hectic and I wasn’t feeling well. So I am starting the new year trying to write reviews. A Goodreads friend reminded me me of this series when she started reading one of David Rosenfelt’s books. I enjoy the humor in them and this one was as entertaining as the others I’ve read. Also, I like the courtroom scenes, too. If you like a little lighter mystery, I highly recommend these books.
Profile Image for Amanda McGill.
1,184 reviews49 followers
July 24, 2018
Not the best Andy Carpenter novel, but still enjoyable.

In the 7th novel in the series, Andy has a new client, this one being a dog, Waggy. Andy has to find the best owner for Waggy and takes the dog in until he does so. But with potential owners dying or being arrested, this case is harder than Andy thought.

I enjoy the novel. It has the typical humour that I expect when reading one of Rosenfelt's novels. I found the storyline to be a bit far fetched and the courtroom drama was lacking a bit.

Overall, it was a good story in the series, but not one of the best.
Profile Image for Marty Fried.
937 reviews90 followers
June 26, 2020
David Rosenfelt is a dog lover (mainly Golden Retrievers I believe), and strangely enough, so is Andy Carpenter, famous lawyer of dogs and people. Dogs always play a major part in this series, so if you don't love dogs, you may not enjoy it as much as the rest of us.

This story follows the formula, where a dog plays a major part in a murder case, and in fact, is one of the targets of one shooting. The reason for this is the key to the story, so I'm not going to tell you.

The same group of lovable characters are in this as the previous books, and if you liked them, you'll probably like this.
Profile Image for Joanne Moyer.
163 reviews42 followers
May 4, 2015
After a couple of cases involving dogs, Andy Carpenter has gained the title of The Dog Lawyer and when a custody case comes up concerning a Bernese Mountain puppy, the judge gives Andy temporary custody until the case is decided. Things becomes more involved when the dog's owner and his wife are killed and a number of people come forward demanding custody of the puppy. Andy finds himself defending the son of the owner for murder and for custody of Waggy the dog.

This was a book I pulled off the shelf of the library because of the cute pictures of the dogs on the cover. It's part of a series and while I read it out of order I didn't have trouble following relationships and characters but I will be going back to the first book to learn more about these characters and their relationships. The story is told with a bit of humor and an obvious love of dogs by the author. Totally enjoyed this one and recommend it to dog lovers and mystery lovers alike
Profile Image for Ellen.
926 reviews118 followers
February 20, 2015
"New Tricks" by David Rosenfelt.

This is a new series and author for me. I chose this book because of the author's inclusion of dogs in the story.

Andy Carpenter is an attorney but not your usual attorney. that is Andy represents dogs! In this case Andy is representing a Burmese mountain puppy. It seems the pups owner has been murdered which has thrown the little pup into an all out custody battle.

But ...there's more to it than just another custody battle over a dog...much more and it involves more people than Andy can count and one of those people is very special to him.

I enjoyed the importance of dogs in this mystery. (the puppy as well as Andy's dog, Tara.) The author's sense of humor throughout the story especially in court scenes put a smile on my face and at times a laugh out loud chuckle.
Profile Image for Ray.
735 reviews41 followers
January 20, 2022
I stewed on this one for a few days. I wanted to see how I felt about it after a bit. I did like the make up of the story. I liked the personal elements inserted for the main characters in this one. I didn't love the crime element of this story. It felt sort of drawn out and labored to me. It didn't have the flow that some of the previous books had. Maybe it was just me. Overall, I enjoyed it, but the wrap up of the crime and the elements of the crime were a little awkward and felt like a reach for me.
Profile Image for Joanne.
701 reviews16 followers
January 31, 2023
Andy is finding himself being seen as the lawyers for dogs. While he is defending a person is this one there is a dog involved. These books are light and fluffy and well worth reading. I suggest that you start with book 1. A highly entertaining series.
Profile Image for Mayda.
2,937 reviews58 followers
August 19, 2017
Andy has temporary custody of a show puppy nicknamed Waggy. Waggy's ownership is in dispute when his owner is killed. When the son of the deceased owner is arrested for murder, Andy is sure he is innocent. How could anyone who loves Waggy as much as he obviously does be a killer? Andy has a lot to chew on as he tries to separate the good guys from the bad. And those he loves may also be in danger. Great characters and great writing combine for a great story.
2,619 reviews32 followers
July 5, 2021
Laurie is back visiting when Andy gets the case of taking care of a dog until they can find the rightful owner. As he leaves the house is explodes killing the lady of the house. The husband had been killed earlier and the son blamed. Andy defends himself, while worrying about Laurie who is shot in the leg and almost dies. This book kept you on the edge until the end, not knowing who did it.
Profile Image for Caroline.
100 reviews1 follower
May 11, 2014
Listened to this on audio. LOVE the books, the writing, the series, the sense of humor portrayed by the main character. I also appreciate that the stories revolve around dogs! Looking forward to making my way through the rest of the series!
Profile Image for Cat.
319 reviews
August 24, 2019
I never tire of reading about Andy and Tara's antics :)
Profile Image for Kristie.
820 reviews355 followers
Want to read
June 12, 2022
I am working my way through this series from both ends. I started with book #23 Dog Eat Dog and enjoyed it so much that I went back to the beginning. I am working my way through the beginning of the series in order, while also trying to keep up with the new releases as they come out.

Due to this 'strategy' that I have, it will be a little while before I get to this particular book. However, I found a video that David Rosenfelt posted about the real Tara Foundation that is a part of this series and wanted to share it with all of you. Since the video came out as part of the promotional activity for this book in the series, I thought it would be best to post it here. Hope you enjoy this little link between these stories and real life. https://www.goodreads.com/videos/4183...
1,248 reviews1 follower
December 23, 2021
The 7th book in the series, and I just love reading these books. Andy Carpenter is a lawyer who doesn't want to be one, and he doesn't have to be, thanks to the $22 million dollars left to him by his dad. He can pick and choose his cases, but would rather watch sports. Unless it comes to dogs. Andy loves all dogs, his Golden Retriever Tara most of all. And if he can in any way help the Bernese Mountain Puppy who falls under his care, he will do it.
Profile Image for Melanie.
1,652 reviews11 followers
October 7, 2022
I needed a quick fun read and know that Tara, Andy, Laurie, Kevin, Edna, and Marcus will provide one. I enjoyed Waggie's energy. I may be enjoying these more than the Stephanie Plum series.
Profile Image for Sawyer X.
127 reviews
September 7, 2021
Very enjoyable, as usual. This time I figured out the perpetrator the moment they were introduced. New record.
Profile Image for LJ.
3,156 reviews313 followers
January 5, 2010
First Sentence: “Andy Carpenter, Lawyer to the Dogs.”

Attorney Andy Carpenter inherited enough money so he can work only when he wants, or when a judge assigns him a pro bono case. When the head of a large pharmaceutical company and owner of a Bernese mountain dog puppy is murdered, Carpenter is asked to take care of the dog until the custody fight between the man’s widow and son is settled.

He doesn’t expect that when he picks the dog up, the house explodes and the original owner’s widow is killed and the son is accused of murder. Andy agrees to defend the son, but things become personal when someone shoots his girlfriend.

It’s an odd situation where the protagonist of the book is someone I don’t particularly care for. He is a little too wise-cracking, and except when in the courtroom, Andy often comes off as a bit of a dork and not always very bright. He has relationship issues, of which I am getting bored. Happily, in this book, Andy emotionally grows up. While I enjoy the song-chat dialogue between Andy and his friend Sam, “Town Without Pity” was written and made famous by Gene Pitney. However, the supporting characters, including the dogs, even out the tone of the book and make it very enjoyable.

What I really did like was the plot. Whenever I thought I knew where the story was going or what the motive for the killings was, the story went somewhere else; the twists were very good, unexpected and I never saw the villain coming. I did have a couple issues; portents—but there was only one so I could forgive it; and Laurie’s recovery seemed way too fast for me.

What I did appreciate was being able to read it while having a 7-year-old reading it aloud next to me and I didn’t have to switch books because of expletive language, sex or violence that his father, in the row ahead of me on the plane, would not have appreciated my sharing with his child.

I also appreciated that the theme of the book is very current but didn’t overwhelm the pace of the story, and Rosenfelt’s book does have a great pace.

Some criticize the idea of a book being an airplane read. I view it as a compliment as it’s something that can completely distract and engross me and that I want to finish in one read. New Tricks was a very good airplane read. I’ve already ordered his next book.

NEW TRICKS (Unl. Inv/Attorney/Andy Carpenter-New Jersey-Cont) - VG
Rosenfelt, David – 7th in series
Grand Central Publishing, 2009, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780446505871
1 review
April 20, 2012
The book "New Tricks" by David Rosenfelt is an excellent story. It not only puts you on the edge of your seat wondering about a mysterious murder, but the author, David, also throws in some romance to get the people going. If you love dogs, mysteries, romance, and a great sence of humor,I highly reccommend this book. The main character, Andy Carpenter, basically narrates the story from his point of view, and I tell you, he and I have the same sence of humor! Although once in a while you may come across a 'bad' word or two, but it still keeps the maturity of the book. At times while reading, I often stumble across a sophisticated word that I do not understand, so I look it up to know for future reference. It's a good way to learn bigger words, and this book has alot of them.
At first glance of the book cover and the title "New Tricks" you may automatically assume that it is all about a dog. That's what I did, but soon after I opened a page and began reading, I realized that it's not juat about a dog, but about a man who has a love for dogs so deep that he might just be the only one who will fight for their rights. The way David portrays Andy's love for animals reminds me alot like myself and what I would do if the life of a dog was in my hands. Just like Andy, I would go to the ends of the Earth to make sure that dog doesn't end up in the wrong hands.
I love how the author David adds some romance so that the story doesn't get too serious. Half way through the book, Andy's girlfriend, Laurie gets introduced and adds a twist to the whole storyline. She becomes apart of the conflict in many ways that I think you should just read and find out.
After reading this book, it gave me a different perspective on the Law, justice, and fighting for your rights. I normally am not that big of a reader, but this book had me hooked, and I believe it'll do the same for you. I have dicovered that David Rosenfelt is an amazing auhor, and I can't wait to contine reading more of his series.
Profile Image for Sue.
612 reviews25 followers
April 17, 2013
Looking for an enjoyable, but quick and easy read? Love dogs? Enjoy mysteries? Then look no further; the Andy Carpenter series is for you! In this particular story, Andy Carpenter, aka Lawyer to the Dogs, is representing a Bernese mountain dog puppy in a custody fight. It seems that someone would rather have puppy dead than see him fall into the "wrong" hands. But who? Andy must protect the puppy (apparently, there are no canine witness protection programs), discover the would-be killer's identity, and convince the skeptical authorities of his guilt. In the process, he also manages to solve a high profile murder of the human variety, and he does it all without losing his wise-cracking charm. Now that's a hero worthy of man's best friend!
Profile Image for Annika.
1,397 reviews88 followers
November 29, 2018
This series gets more and more focused on dogs and dog rescue, going to court over dogs etc. I am a dog lover so I do find these stories cute and kind of funny, but I still look for a little more seriousness . Still all in all it was a good read.
Profile Image for Becky.
484 reviews8 followers
August 10, 2020
Book 7 in this just-for-fun mystery series was not disappointing! We do love listening to Gorver Gardner reading the books and we like all the characters. By now, we probably are not impartial followers of Andy and his dog world expanded to murder and mayhem.
Profile Image for Jon Koebrick.
827 reviews8 followers
February 18, 2021
This series is for anyone who likes dogs, mysteries, witty courtroom dialogue, sarcastic nice guys and humor. This is a fun series by a true dog lover. These books aren’t going to win Pullitzers but they are enjoyable reading.
Profile Image for Janet.
33 reviews1 follower
June 30, 2013
Audio book format. Love the reader! Great jokes and laugh out loud moments. Complicated story line with deep character drama.
Profile Image for Thelma.
539 reviews
December 13, 2013
It was average. I should have written the review right after reading it, because the story and characters are very vague in my memory after only two days. That pretty much says it all.
Profile Image for Heidi Burkhart.
1,967 reviews28 followers
January 21, 2020
I love this series! Andy Carpenter is quite a character and keeps me laughing though this series. Any book with a dog in it has got to be even sweeter!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 527 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.