Start by marking “One Year of Dinner Table Devotions & Discussion Starters: 365 Opportunities to Grow Closer to God as a Family” as Want to Read:

Getting the kids to turn off the TV and video games is challenge enough--let alone gathering as a family to read and discuss the Bible! One Year of Dinner Table Devotions & Discussion Starters helps families start where they are already gathered together on a daily basis--around the dinner table. As the meal comes to a close, family members can take turns turning to the di ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Tyndale Momentum (first published September 22nd 2008)

Start your review of One Year of Dinner Table Devotions & Discussion Starters: 365 Opportunities to Grow Closer to God as a Family
Elizabeth Aucoin
Sep 19, 2022 rated it really liked it
Great little book for topical studies, good for middle school ages. We used it to guide bible studies for middle schoolers and the stories were helpful to connect important biblical truths to real life. Might be helpful to use the questions and add/exchange one or two more.
Emily
Dec 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
While I am not a fan of personal devotions, preferring to read/study scripture, I do find them helpful to get our whole family in the Word together. This has been the best family devotional we have used to date. Each day includes a scripture reading, devotion and discussion starters. We all enjoyed participating (7 & 12 year old) and it worked really well to transition from our evening meal to devotions.

There were a couple times we didn’t understand what the author was trying to drive at with t
Lydia
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best family use devotionals I have found. When we first started using it I was sad there were verses instead of chapters. Oftentimes I have found devotions that do this and there isn’t much substance offered afterwards. But the discussions that follow theses verses are so good for inspiring our family to have conversations about what we’ve just read. We have used this book during meals but also before bedtime and I think it works well for both!
Jonathan
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Don't normally go for this sort of thing, and the cover design is atrocious, but these are fantastic devotions. The readings are substantive and the discussion prompts are deep, enough for adults to have good conversation, but over the head for little kids. It helps to already have some working theology to start from when discussing. ...more
Maria
Jul 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I can honestly say that this Dinner Table Devotions has been the best family devotions book I have come across. The readings have a great message followed with the discussion questions which you read, discuss and reflect on. The scriptures on the side of the pages that go along with that evening's devotions were easy to understand after reading the devotion and the discussion questions. Seriously, this book is highly recommended. PS--You don't need a family to dive into this book. You can read i ...more
Gigi
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
We have four boys ages 6-12. No, we didn’t read this every evening, but it has been a nice resource to have and it’s just the right amount for the attention spans we are dealing with. Though we don’t use it every night, it has been the only devotional that we have stuck with. Sometimes we make our own questions up for the boys, but it’s mainly a conversation starter rather than a quiz. I would recommend it if you’re looking for something that’s actually doable and not overwhelming.
Teresa
Oct 11, 2021 added it
Did not read the whole book but used it for family devotions for a while. Seems aimed at getting older kids to talk with you, rather than actually teaching them about God. Hubby and I agreed this is not for us. Might be ok if you have teenagers with a solid biblical foundation and you just struggle to pull them out of their shell.
Lindsey Sieders
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has been the best family devotion we have worked through as a family. Great discussions!
Loraena
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: families
Hands down the best devotional for families we’ve tried.
Gregory Cantley
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great year of devotions!!!

Great book for challenging the family to get closer to Jesus Christ. Everyone should read it with their family at dinner.
Dana
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this one! It's good for a variety of ages. We've gone through it twice , and I'm sure I'll pull it out in a couple years again . ...more
Tiffany
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Family Devotions

Carol Muleta
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have found reading from this book to be a wonderful conversation starter at mealtime. It can also ensure consistent reinforcement of your spiritual values if this book is applicable to your faith.
Rebekah L.
Walter Steadman
Jul 13, 2021
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Understood Betsy
  • Mountain Born (Mountain Born, #1)
  • Henry Huggins (Henry Huggins, #1)
  • Detectives in Togas
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
  • The Lorax
  • Tweet Cute
  • The Holy Bible: King James Version
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
  • Building Wealth One House at a Time
See top shelves…

Nancy Guthrie teaches the Bible at her home church, Cornerstone Presbyterian Church in Franklin, Tennessee, as well as at conferences around the country and internationally, including through her Biblical Theology Workshops for Women. She is the author of numerous books and the host of the Help Me Teach the Bible podcast at The Gospel Coalition. She and her husband host Respite Retreats for couple

News & Interviews