Start by marking “Reminiscences” as Want to Read:
Reminiscences

Reminiscences

Written in his own hand and finished only weeks before his death, Gen. Douglas MacArthur's memoir spans more than half a century of modern history. His vantage point at center stage during major controversies of the twentieth century enabled him to present unique views of the conflicts in which he played a vital role. No soldier in modern time has been more admired--or rev ...more
Published April 15th 2012 by US Naval Institute Press (first published January 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Reminiscences, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reminiscences

Murray Zedeck
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Some readers say he was arrogant...I say he was accomplished. He was the George Washington of our times. Really a day to day memoir of a true patriot functioning under restraints of inept political leaders while bringing post war Japan from a feudal state to a functioning democracy by not being vengeful to a defeated nation. Book is very well written by a man I can believe in. Sadly, There are no equals on the scene today.
Carl
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Because I have a voracious appetite for history and the fascinating figures from the past, this was right up my alley.

You may have heard a lot about this man, words like egotistical, bold, audacious, intelligent...I couldn't speak intelligently about any of those but this book is great. The man had an absolute mastery of the English language that few these days can even fathom much less put into practice. I admire that immensely so just reading that style and quality is a treat.

Let's face it the
Andre LeMagne
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book provides a glimpse into the mind of a remarkable man, probably the greatest military thinker in American history. Classically educated, he was a philosopher of conflict, and managed to take more territory with fewer casualties than any of his contemporaries. His landing at Inchon was one of the most audacious gambits in military history.
Wachlin007 Hotmail
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
This is Douglas MacArthur's biography. It covers his whole life and overall, I thought it was well written. The author definitely has a pretty good opinion of himself. If I had won as many medals and battles as he did, I'm sure I would too. He was #1 in his class at West Point and among other awards he won the Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, and the Purple Heart.
Wayne
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was reading this book when I visited the Vietnam War Memorial and the then new Korea War Memorial. Reading MacArthur write about the frustrations of the Korean War and how, in his opinion, US Intelligence was being leaked to the North Koreans, made it a very emotional day. The book is excellent and a must read for those who love military books.
Derotha Ann
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just finished the book this morning, and it was an account of America's military involvement to the extent that MacArthur was involved in it, and he was involved in a whole lot of it.

His grandfather served on the Supreme Court, appointed by President Grant. It was this grandfather that taught MacArthur to play poker.

Douglas MacArthur's father, Arthur MacArthur, was a distinguished officer in the Civil war and the American West. The book relates incidents of both of those conflicts, told with
Carl Mayo
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent but puffy.

There is a LOT of interesting information in this book. The 1st-hand historical accounts of the war in the Pacific are involving and compelling.

Reminiscenses covers MacArthur's entire career, both before and after his service in WW2.
Some accounts include facts not generally known to the public, such as the communist involvement in the Bonus March. (Many of the "veterans" who showed up asking for their bonus checks were actually criminals, recruited by the communist party t
M Shahrukh
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very enlightens and captivating account of the able leadership of General Douglas MacArthur. A lot of learnings for oneself as the General mostly fought against the odds with valour and zeal. The accounts are very captivating and help enlighten the world war events too.
Roberto Reale
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great biography from one of the main actors of the past century .

I recomend this book to who is interested to have a better view and understanding of Far East Asia and the relationship with the USA.
Jim
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great book, I feel like I obtained a unique view into a critical time of our nation’s history by a gifted leader and military man. What really stood out was his great understanding of other countries (in Army terms Civil Affairs) and disconnects he had with the political movements within our country which lead to his removal in Korea. The predictions at the end of this book have proved to be very prescient. His concern that socialism, capture of industry for political gain, and imprudent ...more
Troy
Sep 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
A view inside the thoughts of one of America's greatest leaders. You also get to see a hint of the arrogance that the man possessed.
Kiran

• The Most Dangerous Man in America: The Making of Douglas MacArthur
  • I Could Never Be So Lucky Again
  • Brazen Chariots
  • Memoirs: Ten Years and Twenty Days
  • Japanese Destroyer Captain: Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Midway - The Great Naval Battles As Seen Through Japanese Eyes
  • Fortunate Son: The Healing of a Vietnam Vet