Start by marking “Hello Baby. Jenni Overend, Julie Vivas” as Want to Read:
Hello Baby. Jenni Overend, Julie Vivas

Hello Baby. Jenni Overend, Julie Vivas

4.65  ·  Rating details ·  200 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
On a winter night, in a cottage far away from the town, Mum's baby is ready to be born. The midwife arrives and the whole family prepare for the home birth.
Published January 1st 2008 by Frances Lincoln (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Hello Baby. Jenni Overend, Julie Vivas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello Baby. Jenni Overend, Julie Vivas

C
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This is a great picture book for kids about a baby being born into a family. It is from the perspective of the brother, who has up until now been the baby in the family. We like it because it shows things realistically, though in nice soft drawings, like the baby's head coming out of the standing mom's body. It shows the mom walking around in labor, leaning on the dad sometimes. It talks about the boy's emotions of fear, discomfort, jealously, in a comforting way.

We got this, and it is important
Kendal
Oct 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book also goes by the title 'Hello Baby' which is the edition that I have. It's about a little boy at his mother's homebirth and all the things they do to get ready for the baby. Jude loves it and it has sparked some interesting conversations. Love it.
Lisa
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book for the older sibling about homebirth
Tamsyn
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Angela
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this to my then two year old when I was pregnant with her brother, and then to the both of them when we were expecting number three. It helped prepare them for what a homebirth would be like, and what they could expect to see when I was in labour and what they might feel and experience when the baby was born (e.g. awe, happiness, a bit of jealousy when they see the new baby cuddled up to mum). They were both fascinated by the book, and they loved the beautiful pictures. When the time came t ...more
Fiona Endsley
This lovely book from Australia is about a family welcoming baby #4. Told from the perspective of Jack,(child #3) the story begins in the A.M. with Jack's Mama in early labor (so she goes for a walk outside) then shows a very beautiful, relaxed and natural, though noisy homebirth(Mom, Dad, Jack, Jack's two big sisters, Auntie, and a midwife), and ends that night with the whole family on one great big makeshift bed in front of the living room fireplace for the special occasion! This is my very fa ...more
Bonnie
Apr 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow an illustrated children's book about home birth...how could I not love it? I thought it was beautifully done,Told from the perspective of the youngest boy. Gives just enough information to help preschool/school age kids understand labor and birth and see the family welcoming the new baby in a very cozy way...sleeping bags by the fire after the birth. It does have a couple illustrations of naked mommy giving birth, One with baby's head coming out..didn't bother me or my kids :-) but some peop ...more
Trina
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I love this book! I borrowed it from my local La Leche League library first. I read it to my four year old. She loves it! Her comment after we read it and looked for a bit at the pictures was, "It's beautiful!".

It depicts a homebirth which is something I've never seen in a kids book before. The illustrations are lovely. For those who may be a bit prude there are two pictures of the mama naked one shows the baby being born but not in a scary, graphic way.

We are expecting our ninth in a couple of
Ami
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, 2011
YOU GUYS, THIS DOES NOT MEAN I'M PREGNANT! Just saw it on Soule Mama's blog today. No false alarms!

***

An ideal version of a homebirth, like probably how it should go. I hope it does go like this, and I understand the merits of presenting the best case scenario, but it was a little too warm & fuzzy to be as realistic as I'd hoped. Which is probably dumb, because it's a kid's book, so whatever. But still a cool book.
Erika
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for a good book to read with the kids that might help them be excited and ready for when the baby comes from a natural/homebirth perspective. This book was not only great for the kids but for my husband and me as well. It depicts the beauty and simplicity of birth without any fear or anxiety--the way it is meant to be.
R. C.
I found this book when I was pregnant with my second son. We gave it to our midwife as a thank you gift. Because the baby in the story is born on a windy day, and my Bear was born on a windy day, she said she'd always remember his birth when she read it. It's my favorite of all the homebirth picture books because the illustrations are so lovely and the tale is not contrived or forceful.
Emma
This is a really good picture book about birth. Even if you're not planning a home birth (I'm not), it demystifies the birth process for a small child. It is very crunchy :) They all co-sleep and the baby is born in front of a wood fire. Anyway. Julie Vivas' illustrations are as always absolutely gorgeous. I really liked this book a lot.
Kaylee
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
My 2 year old randomly pulled this off the shelf at the library. My 4 year old has been fascinated by this book. It's started a lot of really good discussions about when she was born, how childbirth works, what the mom feels, how the baby grows inside, how sometimes mommies and babies need help from a midwife or doctor, how boys and girls are different, etc.

Heather Boyd
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Wow. Gorgeous illustrations and a beautiful story about a home birth --with enough detail that a 2 year old gets some sense of what to expect from beginning to end. Wonderful wonderful book. It is rare to find such a book --and it was difficult to get my hands on this. Published in Australia, it is not available through my usual routes.
Sarah Johnson
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Soft, gentle but factual introduction of childbirth as a natural family event. Greatly superior to the usual "new baby" picture books where mother disappears to a hospital and re-appears bottle-feeding a blank-faced infant.
Annelie Wendeberg
Magic! This is the only book that made me cry. I'm reminded of my two kids home birth. The illustrations are beautiful and the book explains birth to children in a gentle and honest way. Highly recommended to any parent-to-be
Chessa
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddos
What a great book! We checked this out of the library on recommendation of our midwives. It gives such a natural view of homebirth and welcoming a sibling into the family from the child's point of view. So much great information is imparted in such a gentle, loving way. Loved it!
momma.hailey
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My midwife had recommended this book for my older children before the home birth of their youngest sibling. It is beautifully illustrated and the story told from the point of view of a child. Just precious!
Tiph
One of the best, most beautiful homebirth books I've ever seen. Also called "Hello Baby" here in the states! I believe this book is currently out of print... so tends to be difficult to find... but it's a true gem, if you do! <3
K
Feb 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I definitely worried that this book would be corny after reading some of the books about breastfeeding for kids. It wasn't at all. It still, was to some degree a medical birth - and it still portrayed birth as painful. Still, it's probably the best book on birth for children I've seen thus far.
George
Feb 11, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad I caught this before my little boys started reading it. It is Very detailed in word and picture. I wouldn't want my children to witness a delivery. This book is meant as a prep for parents who plan in that direction.
Cass
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful little childrens book about a homebirth.

Illustrations are amazing and the story is simple and sweet. A great book to read with children to help explain and understand an upcoming birth.
LeGrand
Oct 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture_books
this may be the most honest look at childbirth i've ever had.. (short of watching a child be born) the pictures really compliment the story.. its a quick short read and i would imagine this would be a great book for expecting mothers to read with their other children
Salsabrarian
Jack, his family, and the midwife help and support his mother while she goes through labor and gives birth at home. Includes a no-holds-barred illustration of the standing, naked mother clinging to her husband and the baby’s head sticking out her rear.
Miles Yoshitake
Homebirth narrative from the perspective of an older sibling. Not at all what I expected based on the title.
Alexis
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
A must if planning a home birth with young children. A beautiful picture of what is to come.
Polly
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful picture book depicting homebirth and a young child's experience of it.
Kristina
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: longer, family
Very sweet.
Brigid
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mothers considering homebirth
Wonderful drawings and words. This is what a homebirth looks like.
Rochelle
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
might make some parents uncomfortable, but we love to read it as a family. delightful pictures and honest but loving text about homebirth
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Our Granny
  • The Man Whose Mother Was a Pirate
  • Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack
  • I'm a Big Sister
  • Medications and Mothers' Milk 2006 (Medications and Mother's Milk)
  • Always and Forever
  • Multiplying Menace: The Revenge of Rumpelstiltskin
  • Duck
  • The Golden Egg Book
  • Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Natural and Conventional Treatments for Infants and Children
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
  • Angel in the Waters
  • Rediscovering Birth
  • Birthing from within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation
  • Heart and Hands: A Midwife's Guide to Pregnancy and Birth
  • A Good Birth, A Safe Birth: Choosing and Having the Childbirth Experience You Want
  • A Is for Musk Ox