Start by marking “Two Lipsticks and a Lover” as Want to Read:
Two Lipsticks and a Lover

Two Lipsticks and a Lover

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  362 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Why is it that French women look just as glamorous in a T-shirt and pair of jeans as in a sleek designer dress? How do they look sexy, chic and timelessly elegant from eighteen to eighty? Pencil-thin, stylishly dressed and, always, impeccably groomed?

In search of answers, travel and lifestyle journalist Helena Frith Powell goes behind the scenes to investigate the famous F
Published February 1st 2007 by Arrow (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Two Lipsticks and a Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Lipsticks and a Lover

Stevie Lou
Nov 20, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fluff-fiction
I suppose it was my own fault for picking up a book instructing me on how to "unlock my inner french woman" in the first place, but I have to say I was nonetheless unsettled by the backwardness of this supposedly 'modern tutorial' on French chic. British journo Helena Frith Powell interviews every living french icon from the french prime minister to the current big wigs at Chanel in order to find out the secrets of French style.

The result was a disappointing mass of contradictions ultimately ro
Kiwiflora
Oct 14, 2010 rated it liked it
"Unlock your inner French woman...". How do they look so sleek, so glamorous, so slim, wearing such gorgeous clothes, with such beautiful hair,and such immaculate faces? And all those temptations-delicious wines, oh-so-tasty cheese, that crusty, soft bread???? Why can't us Anglo-Saxon women have such style, look so effortlessly good?

Well, let me tell you, it takes effort, and plenty of it. Ms Powell moved from England to France with her husband and immediately felt like a frump. So in the proces
Cerulione
May 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
I got this book as a gift and I was reading this just to be able to get rid of the book. What the heck was I thinking? Utter waste of time. Should've get rid of this book instead of forcing myself to finish this to tell the one giving me this book "that was a great book, thanks".

To start: I live in France for 10 years now as a foreigner. The "French women" described by the author are ones that are at the upper most top of the society, not your typical French women. And I thought that the author
Jessie Denbow
Mar 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Bleh. This is basically the exact same book at her "How to Be Impossibly French" just with a new title. Disappointing.
Humaira
Jun 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this. I've been wanting to read it for ages, intrigued by the title.

It's sat on my wishlist for years and finally my library had it. I found it funny, intriguing and a little surprising. French women's OBSESSION with how they look was surprising sometimes, but if you've ever seen one in real life, you know why.

Helena Frith Powell takes you by the hand and leads you through the bewildering world of French women. We find out they're possessive, jealous and also very flirty.

But they also
Terry
Apr 07, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Francophiles
Shelves: terrys
I read this when I started studying French again at the Alliance Francaise and it is a lovely essay on how to be French (well, a French woman in particular). Frith Powell discusses her own experiences as an English woman moving to France and learning to adjust to life in France. Chapters touch on everything from what and how to eat and drink, make up and lingerie and how to wear it, attitudes, family life and so on. I enjoyed this book and reiforced my reasons for continuing to learn the languag ...more
Andrea
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone (mostly women, though).
Helena Firth Powel, an Englishwoman moved to France with her family - the book is the product of her research on the topic: How to be a French woman? The book is witty, interesting, a good read - and also has good insights on the way French live, love, think, stay slim and healthy. Though, there are some references to their arrogance, too - which I really liked being mentioned. :)
I've bought this book in Dublin, Ireland in the Oxfam bookshop. I simply liked the title. I didn't regret buying it.
Maria
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
If you want a 'how to' on being as thin, alluring and seductive as a French woman then this is the book for you. I found it very scary that the French find it acceptable to pilfer each others husbands and have several lovers with no guilty conscience. Call me old fashioned but I couldn't do it. I did find the way they look after themselves using diet, fashion and cosmetics inspiring and so I'll take that bit of advice. A light quick read with plenty of anecdotes from famous French women.
Melissa
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was good in that you had a good insight into the lives and daily roles of the French women. Powell uses a lot of research to find out what the ultimate secrets are, but in all truth, her research is not of the type you'd expect. You'll have to read this book to understand. I have taken a lot from this book and i will reccomend it to other friends who are looking for an easy and entertaining read.
Amanda
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I allowed myself to read this because although the topic was French, the author was English. And the subject intrigued me because so many beautiful French women caught my eye in Paris. With pretty underwear, a healthy diet, smart accessorie, and the right attitude, anyone can learn to be French.
Axelle Blanpain
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Having lived in Paris for three years, I read this book with a lot of curiosity. I recognize a lot of things an facts a put the French in general and Parisian in particular.
I would suggest reading this if you are particularly interested in the French way of living...
Rebecca Erlewein
A quick, fun read. I liked the mixture of fun, insighful and slightly cynic/caustic ideas about the fun (and stress of living up to the ideal) of being perfectly groomed and elegant (at all times).
Made me want to wake the French woman in me - part-time!
Meredith
Jul 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
Derivative and reductive. Debra Ollivier is MUCH better.
OxoNewbie
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs
This was serialised in the Daily Mail. An enjoyable read.
Brenda Maria Rosales
Cute. Some fun tips I've even started myself. Hand washing your lingerie in the shower is not so terrible :) Feeling frenchy already.
Kevin
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very interesting book about women, France and French Women. Informative, surprising and enjoyable.
Pinky
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting account about French women. I learned a lot about them in this witty book. I now know why they are naturally stylish and sexy hot chicks in every sense of the word.(,")
Tracie Summerfield-regan
I was suggested this novel whilst in Cannes.. to give me some insight into the "french woman".. Great read. Its my mother to a 'T'. (well most of it)
Mweshi
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious!! I will definitely love to visit France as soon as I get a chance.
Aimee
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
was already published when i worked at gibson, but loved this one best of all three frith books.
Marilyn
wow the french women live dangerous lives with lingerie and without food ... with cosmetics and slimming agents. I wish it had pictures.
Antonella
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I do love Helena Frith Powell. Her work is both entirely unserious and the ideal distraction from an oppressive backlog of work.
Leslie
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Be prepared for a dogmatic shift in your perception of underwear.
Jen Ryan
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I picked this up in Paris and read it on the plane back home a few years ago and wanted to turn the plane back around!
Ana Munivrana
cute, funny
Bev
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting, with good insights on what it takes to be a stylish French female but sadly I only adhere to one of the unofficial 'rules' described so guess I'd better stay English!
Georgia
  • Making Polymer Clay Beads
  • The Meaning of Sunglasses: And a Guide to Almost All Things Fashionable
  • Crochet Stitches Visual Encyclopedia: 300 Stitch Patterns, Edgings, and More
  • Vintage Fashion
  • The Sketchbook Challenge: Techniques, Prompts, and Inspiration for Achieving Your Creative Goals
  • A Year in High Heels: The Girl's Guide to Everything from Jane Austen to the A-list
  • Crochet Saved My Life: The Mental and Physical Health Benefits of Crochet
Helena Frith Powell used to write the French Mistress column in The Sunday Times about living in France. She has also been a regular contributor to the Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday, Daily Telegraph, the Sunday Telegraph, Tatler Magazine and Harper’s Bazaar.

Helena is the author of More France Please, we’re British, a book published in November 2004 by Gibson Square Books about her experiences in Fran
More about Helena Frith Powell...