Start by marking “Jungle Pilot” as Want to Read:
Jungle Pilot

Jungle Pilot

Hear a story of faithfulness to Christ when pilot Nate Saint and four other missionaries were killed in Ecuador by the people they had come to serve.

Published April 1st 1997 by Discovery House (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Jungle Pilot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jungle Pilot

Start your review of Jungle Pilot
Becky Hintz
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this alongside my 11-year-old son, hoping to inspire him with the example of a young man determined to follow the Lord, no matter the cost. Most of the book is devoted to Nate's process of fully surrendering to God's call on his life, and the various places this call took him; the last couple of chapters tell the story of Operation Auca and its aftermath. I really appreciated Nate's take on dating and marriage decisions, and mentally bookmarked them for future conversations. Though it is ...more
Jaclynn
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2007
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this one, I think every Christian should read it. It was neat for me to get the perspective on Nate Saint’s life after having read so much about Jim Elliot all my life. It was another side to the story of the 5 martyred missionaries. I appreciated the epilogue at the end by Stephen B. Saint and in finding out what happened after that fateful day up until the early 21st century.
Yibbie
“Obedience is not a momentary option...it is a die-cast decision made beforehand.” – Nate Saint
Nate Saint would be the first to point out that missionaries aren’t special Christians, and that he isn’t any more special than the rest of us. He wouldn’t want to be held up for praise. He saw his personal weaknesses, failures, and sins. He also saw that if he could obey Christ and be used by Him so could the rest of us.
That’s what this book encourages, obedience; not in a preachy manner, bu
Emilie Blomberg
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jungle Pilot tells of the ministry of Nate Saint and his wife Marj in Ecuador. Nate had served during World War II in the Army Air Corps. After attending Wheaton college, he became a pilot for the Mission Aviation Fellowship. Nate used his little yellow plane to transport food, medicine, and other supplies to small outposts in the eastern jungle. Marj stayed behind in Shell Mera with their children and used the radio to communicate with Nate and his destinations. Aviation literally brought life- ...more
Jesse Ludema
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
It was exciting to peer into the mind of someone whose journey and service to the Lord is completely different from mine- the life of a missionary jungle pilot in indigenous south America in the mid 1900s is about as far away from my daily reality as I can imagine. Furthermore, Nate's fervor for following Jesus under any and every circumstance is inspiring to say the least. That being said, it is only a 3-star book in my mind. Much of this book draws upon Nate Saint's journal entries, which are ...more
Kaitlin
This definitely goes down as one of my favorite books of all time. A perfect read for this season of my life! I would highly recommend it to anyone joining the mission field that Nate Saint and others like him pioneered. His conviction and full trust in God, even to death, is truly inspiring.
Nathan Tasker
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a pretty amazing real-life story. I had a chance to meet some of the characters involved first, then read the book... the book doesn't have all the latest happenings, but it is a good place to start before you dig more into the more recent epilogue details.
Melissa Smith
Love these men's heart to share Christ.
Sarah Watkins
Excellent. Helped me to get a better appreciation of what our missionaries do and the obstacles they must overcome.
Luke Eadie
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a very informational read, and not as much intriguing, but it was decent overall. Unlike "The End of the Spear", "Jungle Pilot" focuses on Nate Saint's life rather than his martyrdom.
Rena Sherwood
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Even if you are not a Christian, you'll find Jungle Pilot (Discovery House; 1997) by Russell T. Hitt, a biography of missionary Nate Saint, an enjoyable read. You might even find the story fairy familiar, having already been most popularly told in Elizabeth Elliot's Through the Gates of Splendor (1957), which was even turned into a comic book for Christian kids.

In order to get a full spectrum on the impact of Christian missionaries on native societies, it would be interesting to read
Tracie
Dec 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
The life of Nate Saint is a testimony to the ultimate obedience to and following the will of God. Nate's insatiable curiousity, mechanical abilities, exuberant spirit, and genuine likability must have made him a joy to be around...and perhaps, a bit exhausting! Hitt's book tracks Nate's earliest days to the very day of Nate's homegoing on January 8, 1956--primarily through family interviews and Nate's own journals. Engineers, missionary pilots, and aviation junkies would especially love this boo ...more
Gavin Felgate
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the biography of Nate Saint, a Missionary who travelled around by plane, who was murdered in 1956 by a native tribe who he wanted to convert to Christianity.

I found the book to be very detailed and comprehensive, with accounts of Saint's early life, which give clues as to what his influences were, and which also includes extracts from letters and reports that he wrote.

What I mainly took away from this book was how the church reacted to his death; instead of being
Rae
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Every book written on the lives of the 5 missionaries who went to Ecuador to save a people for Jesus, I will read. This is no exception. I found it a few months ago and I was in the middle of another book. I stop reading that one and read this all the way through. I love those men and what they did for Jesus and how they did it. They went in their Faith and did not do anything to harm those people, and that is what they needed and that is what we all need. Peace, Love...these men didn't see the ...more
Anna
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic biography. I have been interested in the story of the 5 men who were killed by the Aucas for some years, and have read much about them, but this book has been sitting on my shelf for years, unread. I was afraid it might be dry and boring, but it wasn't at all. Very gripping story about a man who was flawed, who served as a soldier and then as a missionary, and ultimately, gave his life in effort to bring Christ to the Indians in Ecuador. It is SUCH a powerful life testimony, ...more
Melinda
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book fleshes out the real life of Nate Saint, the Christian missionary who was martyred in Ecuador along with Jim Elliot and two other missionaries.

I have watched "End of the Spear" based on the book by Steve Saint, Nate's son. I have read a great deal about Jim Eliot. And I have been a past supporter of Missionary Aviation Fellowship (www.maf.org).

All of these have reinforced my very high opinion of the courage and bravery and ingenuity of these
Felicia Rogers
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've watched the movie, "End of the Spear", which relies this same story but not in as much detail.

This book came to me as a freebie and has sat on my shelf for way to long. Had I realized it was the extended story of Nate Saint, the missionary from the "End of the Spear" movie, I would have read it sooner.

I enjoyed reading about Nate Saint's life growing up, about his stint in the military, his goals, and his ultimate career. I want to thank all the people who had the fo
Aaron
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: missions, biographies
Many people know the story of the five missionaries martyred in Ecuador through the story of Jim Elliot and his story is gripping and valuable to be sure. But too few people are familiar with the other men involved in the incident and what brought them to that place. This book does a fantastic job telling the story of Nate Saint's life, both his growth as a Christian and his involvement in missions aviation. His ingenuity and courage left an indelible imprint on the field of missions and this lo ...more
Dixie Cline
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"Jungle Pilot" is about the life of Nate Saint who is one of the five missionaries that was killed in Ecuador along with Jim Elliot. They made a movie about these missionaries and how they were martyred called "The End of the Spear". The srory of his life was amazing; how God worked through his life and his death. It was an encouragement and a reminder that all we need to do is put our entire trust and faith in Him; to surrender our lives to His will. Oh to have faith like these people!
Anita
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Much of the book comes directly from letters and logs of Nate Saint which gave me a sense of rather direct contact with him. I had read _End of the Spear_ by Nate's son, Steve Saint which was about Steve's experience in Ecuador, but also contained what Steve learned about his father's death. _Jungle Pilot_ was about Nate Saint's life and dedication to mission and to family and most of all to God.
John Nichols
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
The version I read is Jungle Pilot: The Life and Witness of Nate Saint, possibly the first edition (1959). This work gives insight into Nate Saint, his life, his preparation for the mission field, and his dedication to his Lord. The story moved me and I had to keep turning pages, even though I knew how it would end. For those who enjoy inspirational biographies, add this one to your list.
Shannon
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Enrapturing testimony and down-to-earth prose, this biography delivers a detailed account of the life and work of missionary Nate Saint. Though Hitt sometimes hints at borderline legalism, I personally found Saint's devotion to God as laudable and inspiring. Some of his observations resound stronger than some sermons I've heard as well.
BJAbiodun
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: survival-stories
My favorite love story of all times! I love the stories of lives that were shared. I love the young women who gave all that they could give to love and care for their bold, daring young husbands. I love the survivor instincts in the lives of the children who are continuing to add to the legacy that their parents started!!!
Leslie van Zyl-Smit
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read and I found the book to be a very authentic reflection on the amazing life and calling of Nate Saint. Gods providence witnessed in his testimony and the ultimate sacrifice paid for the great commission was hugely inspirational.
Raymond
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
got this one as a Sunday school prize many years ago. An inspirational record of those daring, fearless and faithful missionaries who risk everything to spread the greatest story ever told to the ends of the earth.
Julie
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a book on my favorite martyr. He gave up so much for the people who ended up killing him, so much that a few years later they became Christians and even ended up baptizing Nate's children. I recommend this book to anyone who likes reading christian biographies!
Brian Davidson
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What an inspiring book!
Lisa
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Everyone always tells of Jim Eliot, but what about the little known pilot, Nate Saint. Well, here's another side of the story of those martyred in Equador.
Caleb McNair
Nov 30, 2007 rated it liked it
I kept this book in my cargo pocket for flights over Turkey. It made me realize how how important is effective communication.
Steven
Apr 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I seen the movie and its based on a true story. A very interesting story about a families interactions with some indians in the rainforest.

• End of the Spear
  • Through Gates of Splendor
  • The Journals of Jim Elliot
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • Lords of the Earth
  • Bruchko: The Astonishing True Story of a 19-Year-Old American, His Capture by the Motilone Indians and His Adventures in Christianizing the Stone Age Tribe
  • Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman
  • The Cross and the Switchblade
  • God's Smuggler
  • These Strange Ashes
  • The Life and Diary of David Brainerd
  • In the Presence of My Enemies
  • Peace Child: An unforgettable Story of Primitive Jungle Teaching in the 20th Century
  • A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall