Start by marking “Skeleton Coast (The Oregon Files, #4)” as Want to Read:
Skeleton Coast (The Oregon Files, #4)

Skeleton Coast

(Oregon Files #4)

Chairman of the Corporation Juan Cabrillo and his mercenary crew steer theOregon into battle against a militant leader and his cult-like followers in this #1 New York Times-bestselling series.

Juan Cabrillo and the crew of the covert combat ship Oregon have barely escaped a mission on the Congo River when they intercept a mayday from a defenseless boat under fire off the Af
Hardcover
Published June 7th 2007 by Michael Joseph (first published October 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Skeleton Coast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skeleton Coast

Eadie
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016, 500-series
This was the 4th book in the Oregon series. I did enjoy the story lines but some of the technical stuff is way over my head. I like the crew members very much and find the characters very interesting. I will continue reading on as I want to see what else Juan Cabrillo and crew will get involved it. I would recommend these books to those who love adventure stories.
Cujo
Chairman of the Corporation Juan Cabrillo and his mercenary crew steer the Oregon into battle against a militant leader and his cult-like followers..
To be honest the final confrontation with the main antagonist was weak and I expected a lot more. Also his "cult like" followers were only cult like in one or two scenarios. But....
I have a soft spot for the south west coast of Africa, so,being that's where most of this takes place, I gave it a few extra points
Teo Hoppe
The two best adventure writers currently drawing breath deliver another superb adventure from the Oregon Files. This book bears the distinct stamp of both Cussler and duBrul, which means a great read for us! Though I kind of miss the old format of the Corporation pulling off a multi-pronged heist of some sort, this book's more basic adventure yarn format is a smashing success. Juan Cabrillo is turning into one heck of a leading man.

Like all Cussler novels, this one begins with a story from the p
Brenda H
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skeleton Coast is the fourth book of the series, The Oregon Files. In this installment, the crew of The Oregon take on African rebel armies, eco terrorists, "giant snakes" and search for a cache of lost diamonds - all in a day's work. As usual, this is a fun, adrenaline-filled story with lots of high-tech weaponry and feats of derring-do.

Rating: 4 Stars.
Bev Taylor
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
in 1896 a group of men just survive a trek across the kalahari desert to a waiting ship. but in a sand storm they become logged down and they perish - along with a fortune in diamonds

juan and his crew of the converted orgeon r working with their govt and the local one in the congo, making a deal in arms for diamonds with rebels. they have put trackers on these so that they can be found and therefore put the rebels out of business. but they r double crossed

then he meets up with sloane, rescuing
Carol
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Skeleton Coast] by Clive Cussler & Jack DuBrul
Oregon Files series Boo# 4 (group read)
4 ★'s

From The Book:
juan Cabrillo and the crew of the covert combat ship Oregon have barely escaped a mission on the Congo River when they intercept a mayday from a defenseless boat under fire off the African coast. Cabrillo takes action, saving the beautiful Sloane Macintyre - who's looking for a long-submerged ship that may hold a fortune in diamonds. But what surprises Cabrillo is her story about a crazy
 Olivermagnus
You are always in for a rip roaring adventure when you read one of the books in The Oregon Files series. The fourth book, Skeleton Coast, starts out with an interesting prologue set in 1896 where four Englishmen are fleeing across the Kalahari Desert with stolen diamonds. They reach the HMS Rove just as the Herero warriors reach them, and what happens next is anyone's guess. Coming forward to present time, we meet the intrepid crew of the Oregon, a high tech ship disguised as a decrepit tramp st ...more
Allan
Dec 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, adventure
Skeleton Coast is my first Cussler book and I'm a bit underwhelmed. It started off quite well with a decent idea of lost diamonds in the desert but as soon as the unbelievably, too-good-to-be-true heroes of the Oregon show up, all credibility went out the window.
These guys can go without sleep for days, walk through a hail of bullets and still come out the other end gleaming. Sure, there's plenty of action and lots of cheesy dialogue but it's all fairly predictable stuff but if that's your thing
Jim
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
I got hooked on Mr Cussler through Dirk Pitt...but that was many years ago. I needed a quick read just for fun and revisited Juan Cabrillo in the Oregon Files series.
There are many reviews that will tell you the plot and such, but, you, the prospective reader, just want to know if you needed to read the previous books of the series (no) and whether it was worth your time (yes).
The plot is totally unbelievable...the hero, super human...the countless supporting characters are, well, perfect. No h
Glen
Another exciting entry in the Oregon Files series.

After rescuing a beautiful woman in distress, Juan Cabrillo and company go looking for diamonds, metal sea serpents and an abducted billionaire. They find a radical environmentalist group trying to stop climate change...by producing climate change and killing a whole bunch of people.

Of course, Cabrillo and Crew stop it cold.

Pretty good stuff.
Paul Weiss
Du Brul and Cussler succeed again!

The Corporation is a mercenary private enterprise for hire by any government agency that can afford its fees. Juan Cabrillo, the Chairman, runs his black ops from a ship called "The Oregon". Disguised as an overused, out of date, non-descript mercantile vessel that's destined for the scrap yard, the Oregon is actually a state of the art war vessel packed with high-tech intelligence gathering equipment, powerful weaponry and a fully muscled set of magnetohydrodyn
Koit
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Cussler novel in the fast-and-fun action category, the 'Skeleton Coast' was much as I imagined it to be. To be fair, I hadn't wanted to be entangled in the Oregon Files when I started the book but I believe that I'll carry on with the series.

I also enjoyed the other familiar Cussler characters showing up in order to save the day together. I don't imagine many of the books have a similar cross-over but the one in this book made the entire story more enjoyable.

That said, a lot about the C
Landshark82 Schatz
I hate to give Skeleton Coast a harsh review, I am a huge Cussler fan and love the Oregon Files dearly. However, Skelton Coast is no where near Cussler at his best. The plot lines weren’t bad or anything, but they really just failed to capture my attention like other Cussler books or even other books in the Oregon Files series. The final confrontation is perhaps the most poorly written section of the book, although by the resolution the story is wrapped up nicely. Another positive, Cabrillo gets ...more
Marietta Slater
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual there is a prologue which sets up the plot. Story begins in 1896 with the theft of diamonds from a Herero king in what is now known as Botswania by 5 Brits. Before the ship HMS Rove could leave the coast, a huge storm raged and lasted for days causing the coastline to change dramatically. Sand literally buried the ship.
Present Day: Story begins in Switzerland with Merrick speaking with Susan who shows him her invention: a substance that can make water turn into gel which could help with
Toby Michaels
After reading so many Cussler books, and so many "co-written" books, it's difficult to find them so enjoyable. They've become formulaic, novel-by-the-numbers, with no originality or spark. Maybe if it's the first of the series you've read, or you simply love all things Cussler.

I look more at co-written books as the lesser-known author's work, and after reading a few books by Morrison and DuBrul, I think this book (the 3rd or 4th DuBrul book I've tried) kills for me his contributions to the serie
Mike Siedschlag
I listened to an audio version of Skeleton Coast by Clive Cussler with Jack Du Brul while driving on my recent vacation.

A hunt for African diamonds in which The Oregon gets caught up. Along the way, bad guys who want to unleash weather caused devastation on the earth (holy global warming Batman). Actually, two main plot lines that intertwine and overlap.

Good action and suspense. The obligatory sexual attraction. Plenty of nautical technology and sea bound action. A really cool chase on the water
Tim Seabrook
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Juan Cabrillo and The Corporation are caught up in another wild adventure as they try to prevent a global catastrophe from being launched by eco-terrorists.

There are lots of plot twists that eventually merge into the final story.

An industrialist who helped develop a carbon scrubber and a fellow scientist are kidnapped though no ransom demands are made.
Rebels in the Congo go back on a deal after receiving the weapons they had just paid for causing bedlam to ensue during a river firefight
While one
Kate
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skeleton Coast by Clive Cussler and Jack DuBrul is an exciting book. I love Juan Cabrillo and this Oregon Files series. It is full of action and intrigue. I love the way Cussler takes an event that occurred in the past (either real or fiction) and blends it into the current day - with lots of twists and turns along the way. Diamonds, global warming, African rebels and fanatics all make the book hard to put down.

I highly recommend this book. The plot and the characters are well developed. This is
Steve Swayne
An enjoyable read. A bit heavy on the anti-greenie theme betraying the far right Republican leanings of the authors. Like all of these books by the Cussler writing pool (it seems most of the Cussler books actually are written by other people with Cussler providing the plot and character outlines), the heroes are impossibly handsome and multi talented and the villains are less capable, mostly ugly and although in possession of seemingly huge resources and complex intentions are readily foiled by ...more
Moira Mefein
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite of the Oregon Files books. That says a lot, because I am slightly nuts about all of them. This one features those "giant metal snakes" at sea, a major hurricane, some lunatic scientists, and, as always, Juan Cabrillo and his crew. If the Oregon were a real ship, I would apply for a job with them!

As always, the characters are sharply drawn, and you find yourself caring about them deeply - especially that crazy little old man and his metal snakes. Darn it!

Read the book,
Lynda
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Action, adventure, mystery, and fun from start to finish. Having been to Namibia, the Namib Desert, the Skeleton Coast, and Botswana before made this book especially fun for me. At one point we flew over an old ship now miles from shore (knowing nothing about ships, I can’t speak towards what sort of old ship, though it was indeed wooden), and it is ever so interesting to think that this might be its story.
Kem
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! Talk about danger, action, and far out plot! This book has it all. Even a few moments here and there of humor shows up. If Juan could fly, he'd be Superman's brother. This team bad asses is the best, not to mention their ship. I can't say enough and keep wondering why it's taken me so long to read a Cussler book. Now I want to read them all.
Shelley
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not usually my genre, but someone gave it to me, and I enjoyed it. Interesting weave of deserts, diamonds, environmental fanaticism, rebel armies, and high tech operatives. Easy to read and fast paced. I had to see how everything ended. If I get another Oregon book, I’ll venture into new territory again!
Leslie
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I guess I'm just not a fan of this particular series. This was a borrowed copy. I couldn't get into it so ended up skimming through. Cussler and his associate authors are superb storytellers using historical events, places, time periods woven in. I'm just not able to stay with them for very long.
Sherryellen
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book to listen to as you cross many miles in a car. Enough action to keep you awake, but not enough detailed plot to make you a distracted driver.
Nathan Beck
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Got the audio book to listen to on the way to work. Read it at night. Liked the story.
Ron
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the most fast paced Cussler books I've read. The action was non-stop. Personally, I could have done without the romantic thread and was very glad it didn't dominate the plot.
Steve Gayman
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beginning/historical background set up was interesting but slow. Book really picked up through the middle but found the end a bit cheesy.
Dorothy
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Red hot plot

It is definitely a page turner. These tales are very exciting, and hard to put down. Incredible, true, but fun!
Melissa
The same as most Cussler. Fun.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Havoc (Philip Mercer, #7)
  • Razor's Edge (Dreamland, #3)
  • Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)
  • The Dog From Hell (Star Risk, #4)
  • Rough Justice (Sean Dillion, #15)
  • The Disciple (Tommy Carmellini #4)
  • Overthrowing Heaven (Jon & Lobo, #3)
  • Hawke (Alexander Hawke, #1)
  • Galactic Bounty (Sam McCade, #1)
  • Cold Choices (Jerry Mitchell, #2)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more

Oregon Files (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Golden Buddha (Oregon Files, #1)
  • Sacred Stone (Oregon Files, #2)
  • Dark Watch (Oregon Files, #3)
  • Plague Ship (Oregon Files, #5)
  • Corsair (Oregon Files, #6)
  • The Silent Sea (Oregon Files, #7)
  • The Jungle (Oregon Files, #8)
  • Mirage (Oregon Files, #9)
  • Piranha (Oregon Files, #10)
  • The Emperor's Revenge (Oregon Files, #11)