Start by marking “The Art of George R.R. Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire” as Want to Read:
The Art of George R.R. Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire

The Art of George R.R. Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire

(The Art of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice & Fire #1)

This is a collection of art based on George R. R. Martin's bestselling fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire. "No, I just want to stand on top of the Wall and piss off the edge of the world." - Tyrion Lannister. George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire has thrilled and inspired millions of readers since its debut in 1996. Its lush and cinematic style paints images in t ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Fantasy Flight Games (first published October 25th 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of George R.R. Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire

Start your review of The Art of George R.R. Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire
Marilyn
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I have had this book for a while. I've often flipped through it, but today I sat down and read it/looked at it page by page. In the forward Martin mentions being nervous about Fantasy Flight giving a face to all of his characters. This book was published before the TV show, of course, and while that is true I now have so many of these characters firmly in my head that some of the art was unsatisfactory for that reason. Unfair perhaps, but that is how it goes.

The thing I liked least about this bo
Francis
Excellent art work throughout this book! My favourite part is that this was published before Game of Thrones came out on TV. Some of the artist’s portrayals were spot on with how I see the characters. Others were quite different. All in all, this is quite the book of art!
Francis
Overall, another great book depicting the art of A Song of Ice and Fire. I didn’t find some of the organization to be laid out the best. But still some fantastic pieces. I think that the work done by Michael Komarck were my favourite from this volume.
Miro
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, english
Nice artworks. I like that each of the artists imagine the same characters or scenes sometimes very differently. It's valuable to see this diversity.
M.i.
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Adequate
Eden
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful art and I love it but I read it like a coffee table book: skims and delight.
Anita Nez
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
so many characters so little time.
Michael
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shane McIntire
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There's not much I can say about this book (and it's second volume) other than the art work is amazing. George RR Martin has woven an incredible tapestry of storytelling with his fully realized secondary world in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. The World of Ice and Fire (Planetos?) comes alive with colored artwork from all around his world, of the people and places and castles and beyond in an astounding way that matches the gargantuan size of his world. A variety of artists give it a sense o ...more
Sandra
So, I am a fan of the book series. And I am a fan of art. In consequence: I've been wanting this book for ages! When there was a sale at one of my favourite online book stores, I decided just to go for it and order the book. I am ever so happy I did!

The book has a foreword by George R. R. Martin that is full of heart and funny. He talks about what a weird experience it is to have other people turn your world into art. I thought it was a lovely read and laughed heartily as I read it.

The art is di
coatjones
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both Vol 1 & 2 are excellent. Cover AFFC, backwards. Amazing artwork covering all players and places. Hopefully more to come. ...more
Paula Savioli
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die hard ASOIAF fans
I was a little bit disappointed when I got the book, because I expected more beautiful art, but then I let it rest for a while and when I decided to have a close look at it my mind was more open and I was able to enjoy it a lot more. I have definitely seen more beautiful art in the internet. But the art here is also up to the expectations, and even more realistic than what I have in my mind.

The book divides the characters geographically, not where they come from, but to which part of the contine
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: gift
For the first time, the artwork inspired by George R. R. Martin's: A Song of Ice and Fire has been assembled in one book. Being published in 2005, it predates the wildly popular HBO series Game Of Thrones, it features the best of the book's inspiration directly from the artists' eye. It features characters and situations from all lands: the North, and it's looming Wall, the Iron Islands, Mountain and Vale, Riverlands, Westerlands and Stormlands, King's Landing, The Reach, Dorne, the Free Cities ...more
Mephistia
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Actually, I wouldn't have read the series if not for this book. Well, I'm sure I would have stumbled across the series eventually, but I picked up this book at the library and was enthralled by the artwork. I wanted to know who the characters were, what their stories were. I wanted to know why this series had so many fans. And most of all, I wanted to know why Jon Snow knew nothing. I had to read the series.

So I did.
Cheryl Hall
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful collection of art work from George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series.

There is a collection of art for each Great House and the Night's Watch, Wildlings and Clansmen, combined with selected quotes from the series.

I would have preferred it if the book also contained interpretations of characters from the past.
Kitty
Nov 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is my absolute favorite art book based on a novel series. Fabulous color, and depictions of characters. It should be worth 3x as much as I paid for it. If you love George R.R. Martin's series, you've gotta own this art book.
Mark
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Most of the artwork in this volume I could take or leave, but there were illustrations by Michael Komarck that were truly iconic images from George Martin's series. Though I wouldn't be tempted to buy either volume, if you've read the series, they are worth checking out at the library.
Jeremiah Hebert
Sep 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oldstalwarts
GREAT art from ASOIAF...not like that WOT crap that came out a decade ago.
Shannon
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm so visual that this was the icing to my own person George R. R. Martin cake.
Amy
Nov 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Craig, Jen, Nicole
Recommended to Amy by: Rob
Great way to revisit the world of the novels...while waiting on the next book and HBO series (fingers crossed)
Joe
Dec 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Just utterly perfect really. A truly brilliant collection of artwork that has the true spirit of the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' novels burning within.
Sandy
Jul 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Since Martin's publishers did away with the great original covers of his books, you will need to see them in this book.
Adam
Sep 28, 2010 added it
EPIC !!!!!
Tommy Powell
Mar 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Egads! what a failure!!!
The grit of such a life is what provides Martin's stories with substance... but every image in the POS shows 1970s TV hairdoos and over-stylized pretty-folk (ugh).
Nicolas
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This book is pretty to look at, but I expected better. I got a copy from henrico county library, and it is worth the checkout, but I can not imagine spending money on it.
Itsik
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i cannot give this less then 5 stars, This series is just great and i hope GRRM will manage to end it, and end it well.
Luke Marino
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great series I love the character that Martin creates
Russell Tio
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really really like the art here
Paola (ElvenBookworm)
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5/5 stars
Really beautiful artwork and I love the fact that quotes from the books were included!
M.i.
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any insight into the world of Game of thrones is always welcome

• A Game of Thrones: The Book of Ice and Fire RPG rulebook
  • A Clash Of Kings: The Game Of Thrones Rpg Supplement
  • Game of Thrones: A Pop-Up Guide to Westeros
  • A Game Of Thrones preview
  • A Game of Thrones #1
  • Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: Seasons 3 & 4
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Visual Companion
  • A Clash of Kings #1
  • The Rough Guide to the Lord of the Rings: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Middle-Earth
  • The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare
  • BookRags Summary:  A Storm of Swords
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: Seasons 1 & 2 (Game of Thrones Book, Book about HBO Series)
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Visual Companion
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Making of the Movie Trilogy
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5, Part 1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Volume One
George Raymond Richard "R.R." Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

Martin attended Mary Jane Donohoe School and Marist High School. He began writing very young, selling monster stories to other neighborhood chil