Start by marking “Tell Me: Children, Reading, and Talk” as Want to Read:
Tell Me: Children, Reading, and Talk

Tell Me: Children, Reading, and Talk

“There is a correlation between the richness of the reading environment in which readers live and the richness of their talk about what they've read.”
“In any group of children we find that if they begin by sharing their most obvious observations they soon accumulate a body of understanding that reveals the heart of a text and its meaning(s) for them all.”

Talking about a
Published January 1st 1996 by Stenhouse Publishers (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me

Start your review of Tell Me: Children, Reading, and Talk
James Benham
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal, non-fiction
"We have to read this WHOLE book?! Naa." - Year one Brookes student

"I can use Chambers for this assignment too? Nice" - Year two Brookes student

"I have now quoted every single word Chambers has ever said." - Year three Brookes student
Abigail
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is essential reading for anyone who wishes to step foot in a classroom. Chambers writes in a fantastically engaging and thoughtful way, making it accessible for any teacher who wishes to understand the importance of stories in learning. Additionally, this is a helpful book to use as a reference when reading with children, as it provides an outline for how to get them to really consider and reflect upon what they are reading. I know this book will have a place in my future classroom.
Jane Scholey
There is no greater text for trainee teachers (and ALL teachers) on the importance of reading and talk in every classroom. Chambers discusses key aspects of teaching and learning, pedagogical considerations to be made and, most importantly, how to ensure we are an 'enabling adult' for all children.
Zoe Wood
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is organised into short, precise and thought provoking chapters. The language is easy to read and made me think about my own reading habits as well as those of children. I was particularly interested by 'the set' and 'the settling' and how the power of the mind and attitude can strongly influence the opinion on reading. This book provides a vast variety of real life situations in which reading can be encouraged in the classroom, and organising visits from authors etc. I found these ...more
Petra
Väldigt intressant.
Roberto/Isairon
Per addetti ai lavori.
Indubbiamente un ottimo testo di riferimento per chi ha la possibilità, per lavoro o per passione, di seguire costantemente un gruppo di bambini e accompagnarli alla scoperta del piacere della lettura. Ricco di richiami ed esempi pratici su come scegliere, affrontare e poi discutere i contenuti di un libro per ragazzi. Concetti, a mio parere, utili anche per noi adulti. Però per me, appassionato lettore e ora improbabile ma coriaceo lettore ad alta voce per bambini, è un
Tao Hu
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childeducation
Children need to start reading from very young age. To keep their reading enthusiasm, it's important to have someone to talk to them about the books they read. Chambers gave very detailed examples of these kind of book talks with young children. It's fun to read those talks.

Overall this is a great book for people who want to know more about how to raise a book-loving child.

Elin Streiffert
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
En viktig bok att läsa.
Så otroligt mycket matnyttigt i den.
Önskar att jag var lärare så att jag kunde använda mig av "jag undrar" med elever ofta. Börjat fundera på hur jag kan använda det i mitt jobb men också på fritiden med vänner och deras barn.
Det är otroligt viktigt att samtala om böcker, man lär sig så mycket mer och läsning blir en gemensam aktivitet som gör allting roligare.

Det var vissa saker i boken som inte var så viktiga för mig kanske, men det är en en fempoängare för det var bara
Veronica Molina
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Inspirador, clave para todo mediador. Pero sí encuentro que, aunque haga énfasis sobre eso, este libro debe leerse con experiencia previa en el tema. Los escenarios se ven muy ideales, y la tendencia del lector me imagino que será a copiarlos. Eso es imposible, y llevaría a unas frustraciones terribles...
De alguna manera esperaba que me entregara respuestas, pero las preguntas que hace son muy buenas. Las respuestas las debe encontrar cada uno en su contexto.
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-lit-class, own
I read this as an assignment for a class. Good concept, would have like to seen it a bit more developed with more details and examples. There is still a lot of useful ideas about how to teach children to analyze literature and engage in the texts they are reading. I will use some of the strategies with my children.
Thomas Brevik
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you want to think and write about children, reading and literature, this book is your best ally and friend. Interesting, well written, deep without becoming difficult by an author who has enormous experience and an deep and true love of reading and literature.
Montserrat Flores
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Una buena introducción de cómo acercarse a los niños sin subestimarlos.
Victoria
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kurslitteratur
En av de bästa kursböckerna jag läst! Många bra och konkreta tips för hur en kan arbeta med skönlitterära böcker i klassrummet, som jag absolut kommer använda mig av!
Marina
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sííí, qué ganas de tener un taller de lectura con niños.
Debbie Shewell
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational
Zoe Mills
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love how it explains the best learning environment for children. Easy read and really doable to impliment
Mariyata
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Essential for anyone working in primary school
Ell Eastwood
This book (which is actually two books, at least the version I read), mostly deals with how to get children to read and how to get kids to talk about what they've read ... which isn't really relevant to my life at all. I don't hang out with kids, I don't want kids, and I don't work with kids. Even so, it was interesting.

Actually, it made me think about reading, how I read, and what made me a reader as a child. I have no answers though, but maybe that's not always necessary. This year I read more
Heather
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graduate-school
This book is a pretty quick read and can be used for a reference for reading teachers. I think Chambers brought up some good points and has some interesting framework for book discussions. Although it appears to be geared more towards elementary school, the overall concepts can be applied to upper grades as well.
Nina
Nov 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book and a very effective approach, have tried it myself with high school students, in Sweden, and it worked very well, a lot better than I had first expected, I am looking forward to work more with this approach!
Sep 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: texts
A great book about how adults can talk to children effectively.
Tatyana Naumova
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction
Немного занудно, п.ч.очень методологично, но интересно про то, как говорить о книге с детьми.
Natalie VanDusen
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book has definitely inspired and challenged me to think differently about how I talk about books with kids. Can't wait to try the "Tell Me!" framework!
Larysa
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is all about how to get children to talk about books. It has tons of ideas and questions to get you going.
Bianca
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Geweldig boek, ondanks dat het voor mijn gevoel voornamelijk op de basisschool gericht is. Ik raak altijd enthousiast van Chambers.
Maria
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Har äntligen läst denna klassiker inom biblioteksbranschen och är sugen på att testa mina nyvunna kunskaper på intet ont anande barn.
Arturo Rodriguez
No tantas ideas diferentes, pero muy conciso y útil enfoque para la enseñanza
Beth
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting views on reading but does tend to promote his practise of reading in part two.
Nina Schmidt
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it
If talking about a book I didn't read it doesn't grabs me.
SiMo

• A Child of Books
  • Juni
  • You Choose
  • The Longest Night of Charlie Noon
Born near Chester-le-Street, County Durham in 1934, Chambers was an only child, and a poor scholar; considered "slow" by his teachers, he did not learn to read fluently until the age of nine. After two years in the Royal Navy as part of his National Service, Chambers trained as a teacher and taught for three years at Westcliff High School in Southend on Sea before joining an Anglican monastery in ...more