Start by marking “Tell Me: Children, Reading, and Talk” as Want to Read:
Tell Me: Children, Reading, and Talk

Tell Me: Children, Reading, and Talk

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  260 ratings  ·  39 reviews
“There is a correlation between the richness of the reading environment in which readers live and the richness of their talk about what they've read.”
“In any group of children we find that if they begin by sharing their most obvious observations they soon accumulate a body of understanding that reveals the heart of a text and its meaning(s) for them all.”

Talking about a bo
Published January 1st 1996 by Stenhouse Publishers (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Tell Me: Children, Reading, and Talk
James Benham
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal, non-fiction
"We have to read this WHOLE book?! Naa." - Year one Brookes student

"I can use Chambers for this assignment too? Nice" - Year two Brookes student

"I have now quoted every single word Chambers has ever said." - Year three Brookes student
Mathew
I don't know how many times I have read this book now but it is definitely well over 20 times and each time I am thankful for Chambers' clarity and sensibility when it comes to building a reading culture in a school and depth of thought and reflection that enables each new read to feel different.

This copy actually opens with the Environment first and then Tell Me which makes a lot of sense since the grounds are set for the 'why' we need a reading culture in our classrooms and how we make that h
Abigail
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is essential reading for anyone who wishes to step foot in a classroom. Chambers writes in a fantastically engaging and thoughtful way, making it accessible for any teacher who wishes to understand the importance of stories in learning. Additionally, this is a helpful book to use as a reference when reading with children, as it provides an outline for how to get them to really consider and reflect upon what they are reading. I know this book will have a place in my future classroom.
Jane Scholey
There is no greater text for trainee teachers (and ALL teachers) on the importance of reading and talk in every classroom. Chambers discusses key aspects of teaching and learning, pedagogical considerations to be made and, most importantly, how to ensure we are an 'enabling adult' for all children. ...more
Zoe Wood
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is organised into short, precise and thought provoking chapters. The language is easy to read and made me think about my own reading habits as well as those of children. I was particularly interested by 'the set' and 'the settling' and how the power of the mind and attitude can strongly influence the opinion on reading. This book provides a vast variety of real life situations in which reading can be encouraged in the classroom, and organising visits from authors etc. I found these ide ...more
Petra
Väldigt intressant.
Roberto/Isairon
Per addetti ai lavori.
Indubbiamente un ottimo testo di riferimento per chi ha la possibilità, per lavoro o per passione, di seguire costantemente un gruppo di bambini e accompagnarli alla scoperta del piacere della lettura. Ricco di richiami ed esempi pratici su come scegliere, affrontare e poi discutere i contenuti di un libro per ragazzi. Concetti, a mio parere, utili anche per noi adulti. Però per me, appassionato lettore e ora improbabile ma coriaceo lettore ad alta voce per bambini, è un te
Tao Hu
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childeducation
Children need to start reading from very young age. To keep their reading enthusiasm, it's important to have someone to talk to them about the books they read. Chambers gave very detailed examples of these kind of book talks with young children. It's fun to read those talks.

Overall this is a great book for people who want to know more about how to raise a book-loving child.

Sophia
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I i recomend this book to everyone who work with kids and books and ppl who have kids. I don't really like fact books but this was very nice! ...more
Marta Dyet
Jan 04, 2021 added it
Elin Streiffert
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
En viktig bok att läsa.
Så otroligt mycket matnyttigt i den.
Önskar att jag var lärare så att jag kunde använda mig av "jag undrar" med elever ofta. Börjat fundera på hur jag kan använda det i mitt jobb men också på fritiden med vänner och deras barn.
Det är otroligt viktigt att samtala om böcker, man lär sig så mycket mer och läsning blir en gemensam aktivitet som gör allting roligare.

Det var vissa saker i boken som inte var så viktiga för mig kanske, men det är en en fempoängare för det var bara
"Robert Ekberg"
En [jag] betygsätter [recenserar] ju inte tankekorn [lol].

Hursom: Chambers är en svårt ivrig läsfrämjare. Som en Kjersén Edman. Fast sympatisk. Och då framstår Chambers som inte särskilt sympatiskt. Till skillnad från en [jag] annan [nej, jag] som ju tvingas skryta med min ödmjukhet. Kjersén Edmans värv recenserar [betygsätter] jag [en] inte här. Det vore ohederligt. Jag låter eldsjälar brinna i frid [fred].

Jag tror läsfrämjande handlar om något så trist som sunt förnuft. Och att det främsta ve
Veronica Molina
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Inspirador, clave para todo mediador. Pero sí encuentro que, aunque haga énfasis sobre eso, este libro debe leerse con experiencia previa en el tema. Los escenarios se ven muy ideales, y la tendencia del lector me imagino que será a copiarlos. Eso es imposible, y llevaría a unas frustraciones terribles...
De alguna manera esperaba que me entregara respuestas, pero las preguntas que hace son muy buenas. Las respuestas las debe encontrar cada uno en su contexto.
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-lit-class, own
I read this as an assignment for a class. Good concept, would have like to seen it a bit more developed with more details and examples. There is still a lot of useful ideas about how to teach children to analyze literature and engage in the texts they are reading. I will use some of the strategies with my children.
Mafaz Ali
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fact-book

Thomas Brevik
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you want to think and write about children, reading and literature, this book is your best ally and friend. Interesting, well written, deep without becoming difficult by an author who has enormous experience and an deep and true love of reading and literature.
Cathrin Klepac
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have learned very much from this book and feel like I need to read it more than once, to fully understand everything. I enjoyed the different chapters and parts which give the book a clear structure.
Montse
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Una buena introducción de cómo acercarse a los niños sin subestimarlos.
Tilde Aune
kurslitt
Victoria
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En av de bästa kursböckerna jag läst! Många bra och konkreta tips för hur en kan arbeta med skönlitterära böcker i klassrummet, som jag absolut kommer använda mig av!
Marina
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sííí, qué ganas de tener un taller de lectura con niños.
Debbie Shewell
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational
Zoe Mills
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love how it explains the best learning environment for children. Easy read and really doable to impliment
Fernanda
El libro es bastante interesante y muy práctico. El enfoque que propone Aidan Chambers, nos ofrece información valiosa de cómo abordar la conversación literaria dentro de la sala de clases.
Grace Duthie
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
* This book is centered around Chambers' 'Tell me' approach to reading. Getting children to talk well about books.
* Very interesting and I would definitely like to try this approach one day, though it seems a little bit daunting at the moment!
* The only downside in my opinion is that the book takes a while to get into, but all of it needs to be read to understand the approach.
Mariyata
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Essential for anyone working in primary school
Ell Eastwood
This book (which is actually two books, at least the version I read), mostly deals with how to get children to read and how to get kids to talk about what they've read ... which isn't really relevant to my life at all. I don't hang out with kids, I don't want kids, and I don't work with kids. Even so, it was interesting.

Actually, it made me think about reading, how I read, and what made me a reader as a child. I have no answers though, but maybe that's not always necessary. This year I read more
Heather
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graduate-school
This book is a pretty quick read and can be used for a reference for reading teachers. I think Chambers brought up some good points and has some interesting framework for book discussions. Although it appears to be geared more towards elementary school, the overall concepts can be applied to upper grades as well.
Nina
Nov 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book and a very effective approach, have tried it myself with high school students, in Sweden, and it worked very well, a lot better than I had first expected, I am looking forward to work more with this approach!
Sep 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: texts
A great book about how adults can talk to children effectively.

• Owl Babies
  • Poems to Perform: A Classic Collection Chosen by the Children's Laureate
  • Gorilla
  • The Red Tree
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key (Joey Pigza, #1)
  • Dead End in Norvelt
  • I Was a Rat!
  • Tuesday
  • Voices in the Park
  • A Walk In The Park
  • Ladybird Tales of Super Heroes
  • Not Now, Bernard
  • How Texts Teach What Readers Learn
Born near Chester-le-Street, County Durham in 1934, Chambers was an only child, and a poor scholar; considered "slow" by his teachers, he did not learn to read fluently until the age of nine. After two years in the Royal Navy as part of his National Service, Chambers trained as a teacher and taught for three years at Westcliff High School in Southend on Sea before joining an Anglican monastery in ...more