Start by marking “The Life Divine” as Want to Read:
The Life Divine

The Life Divine

Sri Aurobindo's principal philosophic work, a theory of spiritual evolution culminating in the transformation of man from a mental into a supramental being and the advent of a divine life upon earth.
Published September 18th 2001 by Sri Aurobindo Ashram (first published November 30th 1942)

To ask other readers questions about The Life Divine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life Divine

Willa
Jul 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is impossible to describe, you have to read it. If you feel intimidated by its sheer size, start at the last chapter and then work you way through it in bits and pieces. It is a stunning preview of what is to come in human evolution, written with soul and courage, and stretching you beyond where you think you can go... turn off all your preconceived ideas about where we're going and what you are capable of, and follow Aurobindo on his extremely courageous, adventurous and deeply human ...more
Michael Daly
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a reason why he was considered the intellectual leader of the Free India movement and this book is his magnum opus. It is not an easy read as each paragraph if not each sentence holds deep levels of meaning.
Jim Parker
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Certainly one of the more challenging books that I have ever read. Each paragraph, if not each sentence, requires analysis. From my perspective the books attempts to reconcile a scientific view of consciousness with the views expressed in the Vedas and the Upanishads. Does Sri Aurobindo succeed in his effort? I can't say that I am qualified to answer the question.

I do feel I have a better understanding of some of the concepts from the Vedas and Upanishads but I am far from an expert. I'm not ev
K Chestney
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Been reading this for years....and loving every page of it...
J.p. Mante la jolie
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Life Divine is the most inspiring books I ever read.
spectator
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps the greatest book ever written ... Sri Aurobindo's opus. His insight on the evolution of consciousness is beyond cognizance of the current paradigm ... It is genius ... compact of wisdom from a kind-hearted soul. The correct view of evolution, which the spirit descends through involution in order to discover latent release and bliss and overcome the ignorance of creation. Understanding of Supramentalisation on a mass scale alone would arise a new civilization.
Rakesh
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The message of the future. Every word read brings the seeker closer to that Reality.
A message of hope - the dawn of a new era - a divine life in a divine body on a divine earth.
Asit
this summer, got to pondicherry. if you've never heard of aurobindo, then you sleep.
Melissa
Aug 29, 2011 marked it as to-read
This will be a book-in-progress for a long time!
Shiva
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A quintessential book on the evolution of Earth and its intended destination.
Subramaniam Thirumeni
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Arguably the most laborious exercise in reading that i have engaged in when tackling spiritual writing. But, getting through this book was a tremendous achievement and one that has deepened my understanding of the spiritual evolution of existence.
Geoffrey
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Came to the end of a six month effort to read this in a reading group, a real adventure. As others have indicated, this is not an easy book to read, nor can it be read in the same manner as other books. There is a rational argument here, but it is shrouded within almost mystical writing that defies rational explanations, so you have to read the book on several levels and in several ways simultaneously. His ideas have had a dramatic influence on the development of, I would say “world thought” not ...more
Rajat
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With a very heavy literary style, this text builds the existence and evolution in an unbelievably complex algorithmic style. An unmatched insight into the workings of the ever self revealing consciousness. This is a companion for life!
Savitri Mayer
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Para los que interese el pensamiento de este gran sabio y profeta, una joya más de su mente cósmica.
Joseph Kent
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful introduction to and explication of The Life Divine.

Kunal Uniyal
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
IT WAS DARK WHEN THE WORLD CAME INTO EXISTENCE,FROM DARK CAME THE LIGHT.WE ARE THAT LIGHT SO HEAD FOR THE LIGHT.
Andrew
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
never-ending sentences and paragraphs, but profound.
Abhishek
Dec 13, 2017

• Integral Spirituality
  • Sri Aurobindo, or The Adventure of Consciousness
  • Spiral Dynamics: Mastering Values, Leadership and Change
  • The Healing Power of Mind: Simple Meditation Exercises for Health, Well-Being, and Enlightenment (Buddhayana Series, VII)
  • The Phenomenon of Man
  • Forgotten Truth: The Common Vision of the World's Religions
  • The Ever-Present Origin
  • The Holotropic Mind: The Three Levels of Human Consciousness and How They Shape Our Lives
  • Health, Healing, and Beyond: Yoga and the Living Tradition of Krishnamacharya
  • The Zohar: Pritzker Edition, Volume One
  • A New Model of the Universe
  • The Yoga Tradition: Its History, Literature, Philosophy and Practice
Sri Aurobindo (Bengali: শরী অরবিনদ Sri Ôrobindo) was an Indian nationalist and freedom fighter, major Indian English poet, philosopher, and yogi. He joined the movement for India's freedom from British rule and for a duration (1905–10), became one of its most important leaders, before turning to developing his own vision and philosophy of human progress and spiritual evolution.

The central theme of
“The complete use of pure reason brings us finally from physical to metaphysical knowledge. But the concepts of metaphysical knowledge do not in themselves fully satisfy the demand of our integral being. They are indeed entirely satisfactory to the pure reason itself, because they are the very stuff of its own existence. But our nature sees things through two eyes always, for it views them doubly as idea and as fact and therefore every concept is incomplete for us and to a part of our nature almost unreal until it becomes an experience.” 0 likes
“The utmost mission of Mind is to train our obscure consciousness which has emerged out of the dark prison of Matter, to enlighten its blind instincts, random intuitions, vague perceptions till it shall become capable of this greater light and this higher ascension. Mind is a passage, not a culmination.” 0 likes