Start by marking “Rednecks and Bluenecks: The Politics of Country Music” as Want to Read:
Rednecks and Bluenecks: The Politics of Country Music

Rednecks and Bluenecks: The Politics of Country Music

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
An up-close-and-personal take on country music's vast political discord.

"Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."—Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks, March 2003

"You'll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A.
'Cuz we'll put a boot in your ass
It's the American way."
—from "Courtesy of the Red, White, & Blue (The Angry American
Published November 17th 2005 by New Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Rednecks and Bluenecks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rednecks and Bluenecks

Grace
Dec 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
his book is a fascinating look at the political makeup of the stars and establishment of country music. Working both forward and backward from the Dixie Chicks' scandal, Willman interviews a whole host of musicians, songwriters, and other country music types to get their takes on where the country music establishment falls on the political spectrum.

Unsurprisingly, most everyone agrees that the majority of mainstream country acts are conservative, while the majority of alt-country/Americana acts
Beth Newman
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a fascinating read. Willman did a fine job interviewing country music heavy-hitters from both sides of the political fence (Rodney Crowell, Kris Kristofferson, Ronnie Dunn, Toby Keith, etc.). Country music is big business today, and the 'boot up your ass' mentality is one of the reasons I don't listen to a lot of current country radio.

Today's general public assumes that country music artists are naturally drawn toward the conservative side, and when they 'get out of line', those audien
Gwen
Aug 14, 2007 rated it liked it
This book was ok. It had several really interesting chapters on the relationship between country music and the two political parties, especially how Democrats seem to have abandoned the mainstream country music audience. And of course I'm going to love any book that has an interview with Patterson Hood from the Drive-By Truckers.

But sometimes it seemed a little repetitive. And being an academic it bugged me when he uncritically reported stuff that I know simply isn't true or is way more complex
Pam
Nov 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, politics
I read this basically because I love the Dixie Chicks, especially since they got in trouble for being outspoken.

It sort of extends to the conflict that I really like country music, and I'm a flaming commie pinko liberal (well, really green anarchist, but whatev) which often feels like a conflict.

I didn't particularly adore the writing style, but I found it interesting the whole way through. Lots of stuff I didn't know before.
M. Fenn
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a bad read, even if it was written by a guy who works for Entertainment Weekly. It was a bit fluffy, but still seemed to give a good overview of both sides and the middle of politics in country music.
katie
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Learned a lot about the history of country music and alt country. Also learned a lot about the politics that go with it
Chris
Aug 25, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: music
I don't always like Willman's writing--it's a bit over the top. There are some great stories here (particularly about Steve Earle and Toby Keith), but I'm still not sure what Willman's point is.
Mike
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sociology
I thoroughly enjoyed this book's romp through the political affiliations, quagmires, and musicology of country music over the years.
Patrick M.