Start by marking “V for Vendetta” as Want to Read:
V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta

Based on the screenplay by Andy & Lana Wachowski. Imagine a Britain stripped of democracy, a world of the not-too-distant future, in which freedom was not lost but surrendered willingly to a totalitarian regime that rose to power by exploiting the people's worst fears and most damning weaknesses.

This is the setting for the parable of Evey, a young woman saved from dea

Published March 1st 2006 by Pocket Star Books (first published August 1st 1989)

Pedro
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
One of the best book ever ! V for Vendetta is just one of that stories which is almost impossible for you not to stop and think about it or at least feel something deep after reading.
I just love this book, specialy after watching the movie, because now i could take as much time as i want in order to "decipher" each one of the striking phrases mentioned by the characters.
You'll find good action, police investigation and a beautifull love story in here but not only that - there's also the best of
Christy Stewart
Who doesn't like their leading men to be burn victims who commit crimes in cosplay?
Ambs ❤❤
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-read, single
I liked this story for its complex yet simple storyline. Their were no love triangles, or sexual angst, but there was corruption and dishonesty. Interesting.

I really liked V and was curious as to who he was throughout. Good job with that. However, they never really reveal him and leave him a mystery. Not such a good job (ok, it does add to the storyline, I'm just pouting). At first I couldn't decide if I liked Evie, she seemed so insignificant, but she grew on me. I'm pretty sure I'd have acted
Paul Ataua
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The tale of the masked V's fight for freedom against government oppression and control that started life as a comic book, was turned into a screenplay by the Wachowskis , became a movie, and finally ended up as a novel. This is a review of the novel. There is something good to say about all the incarnations of ‘V for Vendetta’, and the book is no exception. It moves along at pace and you find yourself drawn into the story. It is interesting to compare the book, which was born of the movie, and t ...more
Gada
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
فنديتا حبيب الملايين :D

لسه شايفه الفيلم -لأول مره- من شويه بعد ما خلصت الروايه
عن نفسي حيبت الروايه أكتر من الفيلم... يمكن علشان ماشفتوش الأول, بس هي فعلاً مكتوبه حلو أوي
ملحوظه: أنا سمعت الروايه أوديو ما قرأتهاش و مالقتهاش "بي دي إف" غير الكوميك

عموماً الروايه هي سيناريو الفيلم... بس عاطفي أكتر بكتييير من الفيلم
عاطفي = emotional

المشهد الوحيد اللي حبيته في الفيلم أكتر من الروايه...لما "إيفي" بقت حره :)

الخمس نجوم و إضافته للمفضله ...لأنه أثر فيا بشكل خاص شويه ..و إحترامي للأفكار المضاده للرصاص
melanie
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
jesus christ... is this not just a look into the future of america
John Martindale
So I was hoping that the book would offer a little more then the movie (which I loved), I was wrong (understandably so, since the novel is based on the movie, not the other way around). I think there were even less of V's aphorisms in the book then in the movie, which was upsetting. It seems the only thing the book expounded on was the absolutely laughable and ludicrous politic back-story to the fascist regime (which pretty much ruined the book for me). The movie was bad enough in this regard, b ...more
Cherie
First, let me say that I did not read this book, because I never looked for it in print. I found an audio book version on my library web site, read by a favorite narrator of mine, and downloaded it immediately.

I was curious about the story after seeing the trailers for the movie. I was aware that the story was based on a graphic novel written by Alan Moore and inked by David Lloyd. I had never seen the graphic novel nor really ever intended to look for it.

So - did I like the book? Yes. It is a
Winston
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing

The prelude to this tale, written several years after publication, plants the nightmarish backdrop for this graphic novel in terrifyingly real and tangible terms (most glaringly, arch-conservative Margaret Thatcher's declaration that homosexuality will be relegated to the dustbin of history, even as a concept). Similar terrifying and oppressive parallels can be seen in the more virulent and extreme fundamentalist nations and movements that seek to impose Shariah law on secular democracies. The e
Johnrh
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! This is a novel based on (or a novelization of) a movie. The movie is based on a graphic novel (high quality comic book). I have listened to the audiobook of "V" a couple of times. I saw the movie first, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and it enticed me to read (listen to) the novel. I was not disappointed. Now I want to watch the movie again as I've read that the book follows the movie dialogue closely. That is fine, but this novel is not an after-the-fact description of a movie. It in ...more
Bruyere
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia, favorites
One of the best books I've read in a long time. Considering this book is based on a graphic novel and movie, I was impressed by the absolutely lovely prose. The story is a dystopia in the classic sense and carries great impact with its ideas. I definitely recommend it.
Buck
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
V for Vendetta was published as a comic book, of if you prefer, a graphic novel, by Alan Moore. I heard an audiobook version of the novelization by Steve Moore based on the movie screenplay written by the Wachowsky Brothers. According to Wikipedia Alan Moore and Steve Moore were unrelated. They were friends and collaborators. Steve Moore was a cartoonist who mentored Alan Moore.

After I started the audiobook, I downloaded the comic book. On my desktop monitor, the page is 11" high and 7" wide. T
Bex
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling and strangely uplifting story. I loved
The character of V. He showed me that although the past may make you who you are today, the future can still change you. Very 1984-esque, I sincerely hope that the story is not an insight into our future, though I'd be more then willing to join V in his fight against cruelty and injustice. This story is basically the movie scene for scene but it was interesting to read about each characters thoughts and feelings. Would recommend for anyone who lo
Bettie☯
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian
crafting audio - seems as if this is more well known as a film. I'll see a little later on if I like it enough to search for the film.

Brilliant stuff if one delves in via this 'rare' audio of the novelisation...I managed to track down the film , hahahaha John Hurt, Stephen Fry and that young waif who played the princess in those later star wars films. The whole concept is fandabidozzie.
Ali
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Watch the movie instead. Or even better read 1984.
Douglas Debner
This is essentially an easy book to sum up:

The good: The author does a wonderful job of picking the right word to convey the impressions previously conveyed visually in the movie and graphic novel.

The bad: This REALLY is just a novelization of a movie so why spend eight hours listening to the audio book when you can just re-watch the movie.

While I haven't kept track of the movie novelizations I've read in the past, I have a generally good impression of them since novels can give greater depth to
Telizmary Pinales Roussel
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not
John Sorensen
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had watched the movie, and I had purchased the novelization based off the movie. The book does a very good job of explaining some of the concepts that were briefly shown in the movie. Some of the characters thoughts and background were also explained and made clear. Because of the clarity of the examples in the amazing descriptions I understood those things in the movie that I’d not understood before and quite frankly it blew my mind. Eloquently stated, beautifully told-a must read. 5 stars.

A.S. Howell
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never read a book based on a screenplay.

If you've see the film, I think you're in for a pleasant surprise.

The politics and society were better explained through new backstories to so.w of the chief characters.

The details and tactile information was changed just enough to make more logical sense in this new medium.

The only reason I'm not giving this five stars us because the writing wasn't as immersive and slowed the pace at times.

Still, very glad I put aside the time to listen to this audio
Dru
Long chain: I listened to the audio book version of the novelization of the script from the movie which was based upon the original graphic novel. Whew! And still...wonderful.

As I live in the semi-fascist America that is ruled by Trump and McConnell, all I can say is: this country needs a “V”. My heart stirred for his cause, for art, for freedom, for a release from tyranny. I dinged a star for the whole weird way in which Evie’s imprisonment played out. But that aside...bravo. This world, and e
Tony
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I watched the movie a long time ago but don't remember what happened. As such I can't really say I'm the right person to say this novelization was done well, but I'll go out on a limb and say so anyway.
William
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-self
The graphic novel came first. Then the screenplay. This novelisation is based on the screenplay and the original graphic novel. It was entertaining, but held no surprises. I have seen the movie long ago, but I think I will watch it again. 4.7/5.0.
Lonna Cunningham
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Enjoyed the world building, and the characters... Though I was losing "suspension of disbelief" around halfway through... And seriously disappointed in the ending.
K
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-executed novelization of the movie. No surprises after having seen the movie, but it does make me want to watch it again. Read by Simon Vance.
ALS
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a master piece simply as hell
oh my god it is super amazing
Peter
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Terrifying - Reads like the Republican Play book
Jerriannah
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has made me feels things that I usually don't like or want to feel but it has been a wonderful read nonetheless. It is worth reading again and again.
A.  Reviewer
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed, favorites
V for Vendetta is a movie that I had always wanted to watch since I had seen a clip of V’s speech in one of my sociology classes (it was a very liberal class). The problem was… when it comes to movies with a lot of violence, I automatically shy away. I am the biggest wimp ever! I knew that there was a graphic novel V for Vendetta by: Alan Moore (which the movie is based on), but I never got around to reading it. A while ago, I needed a new audiobook to keep me entertained at work. I found V for ...more
Steve
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Well I'm reviewing the novel here. Unfortunately prior to reading this I have seen the movie and read the graphic novel. So I can only hope that my review can be as untainted as possible, and adhere strictly the the merit of the writing of the late Steve Moore. I actually had to look up to see if Alan Moore who wrote the graphic novel, was related to Steve Moore, who wrote the novel. It appears not, they just seemed to be friends from childhood.

Anyhow, the book V for Vendetta seems like it coul
Douglas
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
  • Pengantin Demos Vol. 3 (Akuma no Hanayome, #3)
  • Wind Chill  (The Red Rock Mysteries #14)
  • To Sir, With Love
  • The Matrix
  • 10 Things I Hate about You
  • ES: Eternal Sabbath, #1
  • The Lonely Egotist
  • Le Portrait de Petite Cossette 1 (Le Portrait de Petite Cossette, #1)
  • Viewfinder Series: Hard-Working Cameraman Akihito Takaba's Fulfilling Househusband Life
  • Seven
  • The Flash:  Stop Motion
  • Pintu Terlarang
  • My Creepy Diary
  • Final Blackout: A Futuristic War Novel
  • The Hills Have Eyes: The Beginning
  • The Devil's Advocate
  • Revenge R Us (Goosebumps Series 2000, #7)
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
“There is a face beneath this mask, but it isn't me. I'm no more that face than I am the muscles beneath it, or the bones beneath that.” 292 likes
“His hope was to remind the world that fairness, justice, and freedom are more than words—they are perspectives” 12 likes