Start by marking “Toad Triumphant” as Want to Read:
Toad Triumphant

Toad Triumphant (Tales of the Willows #2)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  204 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
This stunning sequel follows the further adventures of four of the most beloved characters in English literature: loyal Mole, resourceful Water Rat, stern but wise Badger, and of course, capricious, irresistible Toad. In this new tale, the comfortable bachelor world of the River Bank is thrown into turmoil by the arrival of a formidable female character who seems to win To ...more
Published October 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Toad Triumphant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toad Triumphant

Leslie
Oct 14, 2010 rated it liked it
This is the secondo part of the trilogy of sequels William Horwood wrote for Kenneth Grahame's Wind in the Willows. It was as delightful as the other two books in the series. They don't have quite magicical spell of the original Wind in the Willows, but are lovely in themselves and satisfy the craving for more of the river folk. Very sweet, very enjoyable for an adult to read. I should think a child who is a strong reader would enjoy these sometime around age 9 and up.
Tonari
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Mansour Sadhan
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I appreciate William Horwood's attempt to rebirth the old lovable classic: The Wind in The Willows, and indeed this novel is great in its own right. But, in my opinion it fails to capture the fundamental essence of the original. Kenneth Grahame craved to extract any presence of adult society and all traits connected to it such as responsibility, sex, job...etc. and so the lovable creatures of his original novel are neither adults nor children, but something in between. They live in an almost sur ...more
Nicole
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
The third book of Horwoods sequels to Grahams book.
Once more, for me, he recaptured all the joy,magic and good humour. After a few lines I so can fall into this unforgettable world of Toad Hall, The River Bank , the Wild Wood again.
I love Grahams book and thankful to Horwood he is bringing back those much-loved characters and I found myself becoming all over again addicted to this storys.
This time the story takes another twist, as a female character turns the peaceful world of the River Bank ups
Milo
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, after "Willows in Winter", Horwood seems to have found his groove. The story feels more original this time.
That said, there were a few things that bothered me in this book. One was that Toad learns the lesson that marriage is a bad idea... maybe it was a bad idea for him, but the book seems to present it as a good general rule.
The other thing was how Mole and Rat's journey took place over a couple of seasons, whereas Toad's adventures (taking place simultaneously) only lasted a couple of w
Seth
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
More fantastic stories with the beloved characters from The Wind in the Willows. This book started off slow and, frankly, a bit melodramatic, and I was worried I would hate it. But Horwood pulled through in the end. Toad's latest scrapes continue to be creative, yet entirely in character. The wayfaring of companions Rat and Mole was probably my favorite storyline of this collection. Great fun for anyone who loves the original.
Chiwell
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, animals
Сумасшедшая книга%) Бедный дядюшка (хотя переводчик называет его мистером, но это же моветон) Тоуд, уже несколько раз сидевший в тюрьме, вновь теряет голову — на этот раз влюбляясь, идёт на глупые, жизненно опасные поступки ради любви; снова (!) оказывается в тюрьме с верёвкой на шее в паре минут от повешения, но в итоге он в который раз торжествует. Легендарно х)
Carmen
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
funny account of Toad from Wind in the Willows fame. Here he is the ardent admirer of a toad artist. She is not in love with him so he persues her. In the process, he takes care of her son and experiences some empathy. Definitely growth for Toad, Meanwhile Badger finds his long lost son because Ratty and Mole find him for Badger.
Andrew
Apr 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of the offical sequels - just as enjoyable as the first and a gentle pleasent read - I bought this book years ago to read to my son but now years later I felt it was time to read it again for myself. If you remember and love the original this is a great addition
J. Wootton
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Takes about two chapters too long to get going, but winds up telling a good story after all.
Sophie
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A wonderful story for children of any age.
Lesley Kitchen
With the exception of The Willows In Winter and Duncton Wood, this, like other William Horwood books I've read, does drone on a bit in places. A pleasant read on the whole.
Theresa
the story of the rebuilding of toads house and car as he attempts to travel across the world
Awesomepeacock
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! It's about Toad trying to find a way to immortality. It is truly a comical heart-warming book book to read anytime.
Lee Scoresby
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it
A good yarn, but The Wind in the Willows was so perfect it didn't need a sequel.
stephanieisabookworm
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Horwood has written another excellent sequel here! The characters remain true to form, the book is chock full of wild and fun adventures, and the prose is pleasant and reminiscent of the original.
Cur
Mar 11, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Ten Naughty Little Monkeys
  • The Secret Staircase
  • Thunder Oak (The Welkin Weasels, #1)
  • The Boys of Everest: Chris Bonington and the Tragedy of Climbing's Greatest Generation
  • The Golden Cat (The Wild Road #2)
  • The Ultimate Alphabet
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk Trilogy #2)
  • Nurse Matilda
  • Little Polar Bear Finds a Friend
  • Midnite: The Story of a Wild Colonial Boy
  • The Wombles
  • More Milly Molly Mandy
  • The Education of Patience Goodspeed (Patience Goodspeed, #2)
  • The God Squad
  • Book
  • Toad of Toad Hall (Wind In the Willows)
  • The Siege of White Deer Park (Farthing Wood, #5)
  • Get in the Game: 8 Elements of Perseverance That Make the Difference
William Horwood is an English novelist. His first novel, Duncton Wood, an allegorical tale about a community of moles, was published in 1980. It was followed by two sequels, forming The Duncton Chronicles, and also a second trilogy, The Book of Silence. William Horwood has also written two stand-alone novels intertwining the lives of humans and of eagles, The Stonor Eagles and Callanish , and The ...more
More about William Horwood...

Tales of the Willows (4 books)
  • The Willows in Winter (Tales of the Willows, #1)
  • The Willows and Beyond