Start by marking “Pride and Paranormal (Souls and Shadows #1)” as Want to Read:
Pride and Paranormal (Souls and Shadows #1)

Pride and Paranormal

(Souls and Shadows #1)

What do love potions and banshee karaoke have to do with one of the greatest enemies-to-lovers tales of all time?

Izzy may be the only responsible witch in her poor family of misfits, and as such, she has duties to uphold. Only a hot, mysterious, and infuriating warlock is determined to get in the way.

When the rich and handsome Darcy Fitz blows into town, sparks fly.

The wro
Published June 1st 2021 by City Owl Press (first published May 20th 2021)

To ask other readers questions about Pride and Paranormal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride and Paranormal

Start your review of Pride and Paranormal (Souls and Shadows #1)
J. W. Garrett
“That settles it, no more books about vampire before bedtime.” –Amanda Ashley

Rating: MA: due to adult themes and discussions, no sex but sexy descriptions: language: modern cursing: I found that using their deity wasn’t as offensive to me as when they used mine. Religious references to Gaia, Mother of Earth [Goddess Mythology]. Some magic words, use of wands, and only a few incantations. Angst level: minimal. SPOILER ALERT: This review may contain *** spoilers ***

Book 1 in the Souls and Shadows
Emily
What a delightful paranormal reimagining of Pride and Prejudice! Fans of Jane Austen along with readers of paranormal romance will adore Pride and Paranormal. Blake does a fantastic job of blending the classic tale along with this modern world with magic, while making it all feel timeless and classic. It's always so much fun to see people take these such well known characters and put them in a new environment with a new spin. So grab your broomstick and fly off to get this magical book!

*I receiv
InD'tale Magazine
“Pride and Paranormal” is a delightful twist on “Pride and Prejudice” with all the drama of Jane Austen’s original story, and the added fun of a paranormal cast!

Read full review in the 2021 June issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Anjali
Jun 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
I love Romance books (without an overload of steamy); I love Fantasy books; I love books about Witches, and I love Retellings...

Pride and Paranormal is not just all of this, it is specifically a retelling of my favourite Jane Austen book - Pride and Prejudice... where Izzy and Darcy are a witch and a warlock...

The author has done a fantastic job of reimagining Austen's story in a contemporary, fantasy setting... missing out on none of the intricacies of the original plot...

In addition, there'
Katheyer
Jun 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“Pride and Paranormal” the first instalment in Adrienne Blake’s “Souls and Shadows” puts an entertaining, witty, and funny urban paranormal on Austen’s classical tale. But rather than a mere retelling, expect a fresh, captivating version of the story, set in a Misty Cedars, a lovely small town populated with vampires, werewolves, warlock, witches, and everything else in between.

Izzy Bennet is a strong, independent, and capable witch, as well as member of a large family of daughters, whose father
Shannon
Jul 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Ahhhh!!! I love Pride and Prejudice! And this paranormal retelling is fantastic!!
The characters are wonderful!! I enjoyed getting to know them with Blake's take on them.
The world building was explained well, with the rules/consequences, and the different species included.
I quite liked the magic, how it needed to be grounded, people needing to practice it to master it, and the different types of it as well. I also liked that there were actual spells, rather than just hand waving and poof: magic.
Jennifer Layne
Jun 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun read! I have to say I have never read anything by Jane Austin but this was still fun!

I like Izzy, she has fire 🔥 and whew a temper. She seems to lack a filter most of the time but she fiercely loves and protects her family. Even the sisters who don't want to be protected or think they need to be protected. They are usually the ones who need it most!

I even grew a soft spot for Mr. Darcy who did seem most unlikable. Charlie was just a shy mess but perfect for his female counterpart
Jenn
It is absolutely no secret that my main book love lies squarely in the paranormal realm. So when I saw this was a paranormal take of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, I was extremely intrigued. Pride and Paranormal takes us on a wild ride through the paranormal world where vampires and witches and dragons, Oh my! (wait sorry, twisting in another story, my bad!)

**Having some first-hand knowledge (through book or movie) would help to better understand references and plays on P&P would b
Kayla Lutz
Aug 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Pride and Predjudice Alternate Universe Retelling

Pride and Paranormal is book one in the Souls and Shadows books by Adrienne Blake. This is the first book I've read by Adrienne and I was not disappointed. This book had me pulled in from the start and kept my interest the whole book. I read this book in two days because I had to know how it ended for some of the characters. If you loved Pride and Predjudice by Jane Austen you'll definitely love this paranormal alternate universe. Adrienne Blake d
Nicki Markus
Jun 18, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-paranormal
Pride and Paranormal was a 3-star read for me. For fans of retellings, it captures Pride and Prejudice reasonably well, hitting all the key plot points while also including a few ideas of its own. Izzy came across well as a character; however, some of the other figures seemed a little too underdeveloped. There were plenty of fun moments I enjoyed, but some of the paranormal elements felt tacked on just for the sake of it, or because the author suddenly needed them for the plot. This made the boo ...more
Patty
Jul 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.5*’s. A paranormal twist on Pride and Prejudice set in modern times was very entertaining to read. I enjoyed Izzy quirky personality as well as all of the comebacks floating through her head throughout the story. Having familiar characters existing in the paranormal world allowed for so many magical things to be possible. Vampires, pixies, werewolves, witches and warlocks all added something different to the plot. While there was some romance consistent with the classic story, I felt there was ...more
fred jones
Jul 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining retelling which keeps the spirit of the original classic intact but adds witches and vampires. A few things are changed and a few new characters are added but this is very well done and feels natural not forced, moving the story to a alternative USA also works well. Vividly described and written characters, familiar and new scenes are combined in a fun entertaining way. I will definitely be reading of from this author and look forward to the next one. Longer than most books of th ...more
Lissa Wells
Jun 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
First of all I have to say that this genre of vampires , witches and warlocks and such are not the norm for me.. However I think Adrienne Blake has converted me!! Her rendition of this paranormal Pride And Prejudice is spot on especially with the characters of Izzy and Fitz and all the other misfits!! I love the banter of all the players she has created and at times there was tons of humor making this a very entertaining read! This author has got my attention and I am looking forward to many mor ...more
Cayla
Jun 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book is for anyone who loves to combine paranormal with classics. If you ever read Jane Austen's work, then you won't have trouble following this book. It's updated, but with a paranormal twist.

As a story, I found the character development to be fairly predictable with the exception of Charlotte. I thought Charlotte needed some more work. Toward the end, I felt disappointed by her. As far as her friendship with Izzy goes, I wasn't very impressed. Throw in Collins and it was just...whatever.
Nikita
Jul 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It stays true to the original characters while adding a new spin and twist all in all a brilliant story and I loved the magic that flowed. It keeps the spirit of the characters while keeping the story fresh.
Regina Kiddy
Jul 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Witches, Warlocks and vampires oh my. What happens when one headstrong witch butts heads with one handsome but haute warlock? Lots and lots of fireworks!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own
Paula lily
May 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Emily Pennington
Jun 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Izzy and Darcy . . .

The author did a good job with the twist added to a favorite classic. I enjoyed the characters and their interactions. In this story, Izzy is a witch and Fitz Darcy is part warlock and part geomancer, attractive and mysterious, with no kind words about the Bennet family. That alone raises Izzy’s ire! Let the battle ensue!

Grab your copy and follow their adventures as Izzy, to her dismay, needs Darcy’s help. You will enjoy this new telling with a little bit of paranormal sprink
Jeanette Rose
Jun 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I am trash for all retellings of P&P, you know it, I know it. I loved the worldbuilding in this and bringing new stakes to the long told story of Elizabeth and Darcy.
Cassie The Ghost
May 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021, netgalley
The title drew me at first sight. Learning it was a spin on Pride and Prejudice with a paranormal twist was right up my alley and it did not disappoint.

I absolutely love the way the author writes the characters. The love and hate towards Fitz was done well and you cheered the heroine (Izzy) on when she managed her digs (one-liners and snark) and cried when she got in her own way (poor Izzy!) to find love. I only mention a few times I fell out of the story with some of the dialogue. There were t
Rukshy
Jun 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a magical retelling of Pride and Prejudice. Izzy Bennet is the second of 5 sisters, and part of a magical family in debt. It is hate at first sight when she meets the handsome warlock Fitz Darcy. What ensues is a lovely story, full of magic and great character building. I would have liked to have seen more Izzy/Fitz scenes at the end, but it was an enjoyable read. 4/5 stars
Buturot
Jun 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Being a Christian, some parts made me cringe. However, the author made the story so enticing I had to continue reading. Loved Izzy's initial reaction to Fitz especially when she directly told him she doesn't like him. (I felt bad for Fitz but he started it ;) Truly an enjoyable story - touch of paranormal, humor, family drama on top of the love stories.

Highly recommend reading. This is truly a bewitching, romantic modern P & P variation.

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am
Kat Turner
Jun 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Adrienne Blake charms in this absolutely delightful paranormal twist on the classic P&P tale! Pride and Paranormal brings it all-banter, suspense, humor, family antics, romance, and a strong female lead- with panache. A light, whimsical tone paired with compelling and well-rounded characters suits the story perfectly, and the writing is deftly finessed with nary a wasted word. A unique, effervescent take on paranormal elements makes for a refreshing read as well. This is my first read by Adrienn ...more
Molly
Jun 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal fantasy magic romance fans
Recommended to Molly by: Booksprout
A paranormal Pride and Prejudice twisted sideways

Can love flourish among hurt hearts, unrestrained youth and powers, and oh so stubborn pride?

Deb
Jun 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on the classic story made a bit more intriguing by the paranormal aspects in my opinion. I enjoyed the drama and intrigue. It was a fun read.

I requested a copy of this book and am voluntarily writing a review.
Lauren Erzsebet
May 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
I was really looking forward to this book and had high expectations, however it didn't fully reach them. I found the character of Izzy to be strong and well fleshed out but the other Bennett family members annoying. I'm sure this was done on purpose to show their impropriety. I did like the conclusion to the story and tried not to compare this to the classic P+P.

Tristan Burbridge
Jun 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was a great way to start a series. This was a nice twist on an old classic. The characters were well written and entertaining.

Eileen townsend
May 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was such a nail biter of a page turner. A great read. I loved the book. The plot was very well written and I cannot wait for another book. I really enjoyed the book and new author for me.

Reader03
May 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
Jane Austen meets paranormal in a classic re-imagined that was well written overall and enjoyable. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Kristin
May 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you netgalley and author for providing an arc.

This was a fun paranormal twist on pride & prejudice!

3.5-4*

• Forgotten Betrothal
  • A Splendidly (Un)suitable Match
  • Letter Interrupted
  • A Good Memory is Unpardonable
  • Nameless
  • Sacrificed (The Rejected Mate #1)
  • Misunderstandings & Ardent Love
  • Old Boots: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Pride & Distance: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Mr. Darcy's Household: A Pride and Prejudice Novella Variation
  • In Default of Heirs Male
  • Some Natural Importance
  • Mave Fortune (Blackstone Academy, #1)
  • Twists of Fate: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • The Matchmaker: A Pride & Prejudice Novella
  • The Painting: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Night Watch (Soul Reader, #1)
  • Agony and Hope
See top shelves…
Adrienne Blake is a USA Today bestselling author of mystery and paranormal romance. She is also an Amazon Top 100 bestselling author. Her stories blend plot, humor, and love, all in one sizzling cauldron. Coming soon: Souls and Shadows series.

Souls and Shadows (2 books)
  • Sense and Succubus (Souls and Shadows, #2)