Jump to ratings and reviews
Mavis always assumed that she would be in a hospital with the good drugs when her time came. Not in the middle of the road, with no one around but the damn town mechanic that hated her.

But there she was, having a rock star’s baby, with no one to rely on but the one that let it be known around every turn that she was a horrible person.

But then her grandmother fired Murphy’s mom, forcing them to live on the streets, and making Murphy to realize that maybe they weren’t best friends after all.

Murphy loved Mavis.

At least, he had when he was younger, before she betrayed him.

From that moment forward, Murphy goes out of his way to stay the hell away from her, and always makes sure to never get too close. Even though everything inside of him screams to make contact.

But there she is at his CrossFit gym. Then having a baby on the side of the road. Oh, and breaking him a little more with each step she takes away.

Eventually, they find their way back to each other. The only problem is, by the time that Mavis makes her way back into his heart, it breaks. And not in a rhetorical way. In the ‘he only has days to live’ kind of way.

207 pages, Kindle Edition

First published September 7, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lani Lynn Vale

138 books6,646 followers
Lani Lynn Vale is married to the love of her life that she met in high school. She fell in love with him because he was wearing baseball pants. Ten years later they have three perfectly crazy children and a cat named Demon who likes to wake her up at ungodly times in the night. They live in the greatest state in the world, Texas. She writes contemporary and romantic suspense, and has a love for all things romance. You can find Lani in front of her computer writing away in her fictional characters world...that is until her husband and kids demand sustenance in the form of food and drink.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
35 (2%)
1 star
6 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 233 reviews
Profile Image for Natalie  ~ The Biblioholic.
2,472 reviews1,204 followers
September 7, 2021
Now that's how you yank on my feelings!

LLV did warn us and I should have really taken her warning to heart, but I didn't. And when I felt like all hope was lost, I was given another chance. However, that chance came at a huge cost. It was a price I wasn't willing to pay and here at the end... I'm so angry!!

I loved the push-and-pull of the relationship brewing between Mavis and Murphy. Who doesn't love a great enemies-to-lovers story? Especially when it has a touch of getting a second chance. And I was down for the heartache the author wanted to put me through. I loved how emotional I got over this story and I can even appreciate how angry I am right now.

You know a story is amazing when it pulls something out of you. It can't be humdrum, normal, or par for the course when it affects you so strongly. And I was definitely effected by the events that took place, by the excruciating love story that developed, and by the characters I couldn't help but fall in love with.

Find my full review here

Profile Image for XxTainaxX Curvy and Nerdy.
1,473 reviews435 followers
September 21, 2021
This novel should come with a box of tissues!! I thought I was getting a general vibe on the direction of the series but this book totally does its own thing and I loved it even as I cried my eyes out. 🥺😭

Mavis and her little munchkin Vlad 👩🏼‍🍼 definitely had their personalities fleshed out well, even before this story began, as side characters featured in book 1 in the series. Murphy had also definitely peaked my interest but his own story went beyond anything I could’ve imagined. His interactions with Vlad were just perfection. **dreamy sigh** Loved the Murphy/Mavis pairing SO SO SO much. 🔥 ❤️ ❤️‍🔥

I don’t want to give anything away but I do want to say that the LLV books that I love the most are those that provide that almost formulaic comfort she’s consistent with but then shakes things up. This is definitely one of those.

Complementary copy received and voluntarily reviewed.
Profile Image for Darlene I read WAY to many books.
3,067 reviews1,278 followers
September 7, 2021
You got my hearrttt beattt!!!! And it broke!!!!

I cried like a baby in this one because I honestly thought we were going to get a not hea.. but I trusted the story.

Mavis and Murphy knew eachother since they were younger but once Mavis grandma fired Murphy mom they became homeless and moved away.. this has Murphy holding onto some grudge against Mavis even if it isn't her fault really. But when he sees her years later he is a jerk and when he finds out she's prego he sorta lightens up and tries to help her we see them outside crossfit which I love.. but he still acts jerkish.. but for a good reason.. Murphy has heart problems and only has lil time left.. so he tries to spend time with Mavis and her baby boy Vlad bonding but trying to not fall for the two.. knowing he's going to die. Mavis has mixed feelings she doesn't know why Murphy is so hot and cold towards her on top of that she thinks her own son hates her since he is always crying he never stops crying.. he only smiles and laughs with others but never with her... and my heart broke for her.. once they were sorta on the same page Murphy finally told her what he is going though and next chapters were heartbreaking... watching them both go though it hurt.

Low angst, No ow/om drama, no cheating, Drama, slight secondary character, sexy times, no virgins

Recommend-yes

Death
No condom
Hea
Epilogue
Profile Image for Gi's Spot Reviews.
1,073 reviews1,152 followers
September 8, 2021
Oh My God!!!! This book WRECKED me, DESTROYED me, OBLITERATED my poor little black heart! All the emotions and reading on the edge of my seat! Lani Lynn Vale sure knows how to juggle with our feelings, because Jerk It took all me emotional strength to survive its nerve gripping roller coaster, but soooooo worth the battle, because Murphy and Mavis' HEA is all that much sweeter and satisfying! <3 <3 <3 <3

ARC kindly provided by the author for an honest reviews
Profile Image for The Romance Book Disciple (Samantha).
1,823 reviews301 followers
September 7, 2021

Listen, this is NOT what I signed up for!! The tears!!!! Jerk It made me cry SO HARD!

Jerk It is a second chance, small town, single mom story that seems so innocent on its face. Then BAM! It smacks you with the heartbreaking stuff. Holy moly does it hit you hard. The story's timeline crosses book 1, No Rep, so you get sort of a before, during, and after that story. Mavis and Vlad were favorites of mine before, so I was psyched for this book.

There were times in Jerk It where I considered stopping. It was just so heartbreaking I wasn't sure I could keep going. LLV's books are go to for me, but I was starting to question it. Jerk It was a tough read, to be honest. But, there is still some of the humor and sarcasm that I have always enjoyed in LLV's books. Just have lots of tissues ready. Maybe a few boxes.

POV: dual 1st
  Tears: oh dear Lord, so many
  Trope: second chance, single mom, small town
  Triggers:
  Series/Standalone: standalone
  Cliffhanger:
  HEA:

tearjerkers like Chasing Nikki by Lacey Weatherford, Bully by Penelope Douglas, Ten Tiny Breaths by KA Tucker, More than This by Jay Mclean...then you will probably like Jerk It!

Jerk It
ibooks-icon amazon-icon-star

[image error][image error]

See full review on The Book Disciple
Profile Image for Jamie.
680 reviews113 followers
April 10, 2022
I really liked this book, but I will forever think LLV books are overpriced. $6 for a 200 page ebook that I can read in an hour…? Why???
Profile Image for Darcy.
12.1k reviews417 followers
September 24, 2021
I didn't expect this one to get to me like it did. From the contentious relationship at the start, to what happened after both Mavis and Murphy put aside the anger, there was a lot going on. I really liked these two when the anger was put away, they were good together. I hated learning what Murphy had going on and at how dire the situation was for him. Seeing him decline was horrible, I felt like I read a good portion of the book in tears. While I love organ donation and am one myself, I really feel for those that are on either end. Your hope in getting a donation means someone's worst day is there and this book really presented that in a very real way. I liked seeing Madden's reactions afterwards, the good and the bad because both are understandable and I can see where it would take a person to come to terms with everything.

I really liked how this one ended, loved seeing Mavis and Murphy in the future, how their family grew and how they were all a big crazy.
Profile Image for Jen.
3,078 reviews
September 7, 2021
Note: An ARC was provided by the author via Uplifting Author Services.

Lani Lynn Vale brought the angst and the wit alongside the romance, and I reveled in it all. Murphy and Mavis were the poster children for the saying about there being a thin line between love and hate. I enjoyed seeing these two rekindling that closeness they shared as children, and Murphy's relationship with Vlad was certainly one of my favorite things about this book. Then there was Murphy's heart issue, and goodness, how this aspect of the story got to me. I don't want to give anything away, but I needed a couple of tissues at one point in the book. All in all, Jerk It was a wholly satisfying 4.5-starred read.
Profile Image for JudyAnnLovesBooks.
1,481 reviews56 followers
September 5, 2021
This is going to be the shortest review I’ve ever written. Sorry, Not Sorry.

Jerk It is Book 2 of Lani Lynn Vale’s Mad CrossFit series and it completely and totally gutted me.
I was utterly unprepared for the mother of all plot twists that this story had and honestly I am an emotional mess right now and that’s five days after I finished reading it.

Mavis and Alessio’s love story is beautiful and watching their relationship play out was both beautiful and painful. I’m giving Jerk It the judy.ann.loves.books stamp of approval, TBR and Enjoy.

P.S. Keep the tissues handy.
Profile Image for Kodie Mackay.
961 reviews55 followers
August 28, 2021
OK hang tight because this may not make much sense tonight, I'm basically just purging all my immediate just finished thoughts right now.

It's been a hot minute since she got me this fucked up and you best believe I'm holding a grudge for a while over the trauma she just caused me.

LORD IM A MESS. A snotty teary emotional mess.

I had an idea going in that Mavis and Murphy would wreck me but they just destroyed me. Blew every expectation out of the water and left me completely flabbergasted.

Jerk It powers through some real heartwrenching lows and epic true miracle highs. Mavis and Murphy had me sobbing into my tea, laughing until my belly hurt and hanging on to the edge of my seat in anticipation waiting to see who'd give in first and wondering what secrets would come out the woodwork next.

They hate eachother, but they don't. They have this undeniable chemistry that fuels the fiery connection between them in a way that can be felt though the pages. I adored the petty bickering and cheeky snide comments. I lived for the I told you so's and sneaky lust filled glances. I appreciated the sweet and swooned like crazy at the sexy.

Murphy and Mavis's journey is ALOT emotionally. They both lived hard lives for different reasons and absolutely clashed like the titans at ever damn turn. But they were meant to be in every way and I rooted for them from page one because despite the catastrophic mountains thrown their way, they over came it and came out so much stronger and far more appreciative for it.

Lani brought up and emotional tornado of a book choke full with huge personalities and a story that will break you before it makes you. The story progression, the character development... every part of this book is so fined tuned it hits you with every emotion in a few short hours and feel makes you feel every bit of it. I was completely consumed in their world and overcome by all the feelings. It was a ride. A rocky one but a phenomenal one. One emotional driven and written seamlessly. It's Lani, you know you're getting crazy.. unpredictable and actionpacked. But this one like a few from her past serieses is the gutwrencher that will hit close to home and have you balling like crazy.
I can't wait for the world to read this magic.

Now I'm shutting up before I still my guts and spoil everything.
Profile Image for Renee.
3,357 reviews36 followers
September 7, 2021

Mavis always assured me that she would be in a hospital with the good drugs when her time came. Not in the middle of the road, with no one around but the town mechanic that hated her. But there she was having a rock star's baby, with no one to rely on but the one that let it be known around every turn that she was a horrible person. From the time that she met Murphy and became best friends with him at the age of eight, she knew he was destined for greatness. But then her grandmother fired Murphy's mom, forcing them to live on the streets and making Murphy to realize that maybe they weren't best friends after all. Murphy loved Mavis. At least when he was younger, before she betrayed him. From that moment forward, Murphy goes out of his way to stay the hell away from her and always makes sure to never get too close. even though everything inside of him screams to make contact. When he moves back to town after being gone for five years, he tries his best to stay away. But there she is at the Crossfit gym. Then having a baby on the side of the read. Oh and breaking him a little more with each step she takes away. Eventually, they find their way back to each other. The only problem is by the time that Mavis makes her way back into his heart, it breaks. And not in a rhetorical way. IN the "he only a day to live" kind of way.

This book......I swear it is so good and my emotions were all over the place big time. I might have cried a time or twenty during this book. I went into it thinking this was going to be the Lani Lynn Vale that we all know so well but it sure wasn't. I think it should have had a crying like a baby warning all over it. I am going to tell you absolutely nothing about this story. I will tell you that if you have to put your kindle down then you don't need to worry. You are in great company. I feel like a bunch of people had to do that. This book is fantastic and an absolute must read.
Profile Image for Flavs is Mrs David Gandy♥~♥’.
2,839 reviews2 followers
Thank you so much Lani Lynn Vale for making me cry my eyes out with this 😊
From the previous book you will know that Murphy and Mavis had a love-hate relationship. And in this story we get to see why!

Mavis and Murphy knew each other from young. His mother was their housekeeper until one day her grandmother fired his mother and Murphy and his mother left. And Mavis lost her best friend.
Now years later they see each other again, but Mavis is pregnant and Murphy can’t stand her. Even though deep down he was in love with her. From then they have countless interactions, some arguing but also some steamy moments. Just when it looked like they have sorted out all their issues, it seemed like they were not headed for happily ever after and something else was standing in their way… Will they be able to overcome this new threat and stick it through or will Murphy push Mavis away for good ☹

I literally cried reading this book. For a minute there I didn’t know where the author was going to go with this one. Until almost the end when it all came together. Mavis and Murphy’s story was so good. I loved their love-hate thing they had going on. Even when they wanted to hate each other they were just too in love to pull it off 😊 Though some sadness still lingers. I ant wait for the next book in this series. It can only get better after this one 😊❤❤

Read on behalf of
Fay’s Corner
Profile Image for Vfc.
1,411 reviews
September 8, 2021
What is a lifter? This writer uses ‘Texasisms’ and unfortunately not all of us hail from Texas.

They met as children at the age of eight, she knew he was destined for greatness.
But then her grandmother fired Murphy’s mum, forcing them to live on the streets.

“Sorry for the mean, accurate, awful things I said.
-Alessio Murphy Romano’s secret thoughts

Mavis was his favourite person in the world. Sweet, funny, caring and considerate—even at thirteen years old, he recognised something special in Mavis. Something unusual that most kids her age weren’t, especially when you considered who her grandmother was.
“Come to my favorite spot tomorrow,” Mavis ordered.
“I’ll be there.”
And I was.
Mavis invited him to their favourite spot. He knew better than to traipse around the property, since Mavis’s grandmother had little tolerance for children, much less the maid’s son. But he did it anyway. He was twelve to her nine.

Two hours later, they were kicked out. She lost her job and the included housing. They had nothing but their clothes, a few sentimental items and their car, and he learnt the true meaning of being homeless.

For the purpose of accuracy—a heart doctor is known as a cardiologist.

He holds her responsible for their dire circumstances, living in a car for two years, having to lie to his peers, digging in rubbish bins for food, and degrading himself for them to survive.

Then they won the lottery—his mother purchased the ticket for him. Becoming healthy again had saved his life, because a few months ago, his heart began acting up again. He had contracted myocarditis from a viral infection around age nine. There followed a few hospitalisations, procedures and medications until he finally recovered. Then at age seventeen he had his first heart attack.
“First?” I asked carefully.
The doctor nodded. “First.”
They think it was due to a dietary imbalance, a lack of nutrients in his diet, which exacerbated his childhood myocarditis and led to his heart failure.

The doctor spent the next five minutes, explaining it all, starting with Murphy’s first heart attack, ending with one he’d suffered just a few months ago—two days after he’d delivered her baby—and ending with what was next for Murphy.
He’s been on the donor list for about four months. Ideally, he may look like he’s doing well on the outside, but he’s struggling. I give him about two weeks, and then he’ll be on oxygen.”
I could see the decline in his health very obviously now that I knew the signs.
“What are the chances that he’ll find a heart?”
One in ten people on the donor list that need a heart, get one.
Meaning, someone had to die for him to get one.

Defeated when told he might not have a chance at a heart, he sets his affairs in order and marrying Mavis. At the last possible moment, a heart becomes available, the most unlikely of persons, Madden, the owner of CrossFit, his son Jasper, dies.

He was unresponsive and virtually dead on the operating table, the moment that they opened his chest cavity…he needed to be revived eight times…then he developed a blood clot in his brain, contracted an infection to the surgical site that nearly took his life for a third time, due to the nature of his infection, he was no longer allowed to have visitors.
Then there was a setback on his heart, and a moment of fearing that he might reject the heart.

He’d been isolated in the hospital.

Minor grammatical errors.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Lea Bookjoy.
1,272 reviews76 followers
April 30, 2022
French & English reviews

Une romance que j'étais curieuse de lire après les quelques aperçus qu'on avait du couple et j'ai beaucoup apprécié de lire cette romance !

J'ai beaucoup aimé la romance (cette scène de l'accouchement au bord de la route <3 et tout l'angst autour de leur passé ! Et le drama tellement réaliste autour de la maladie de Murphy !) mais j'ai été un peu déçu par le manque de drama (notamment avec l'ex rock star, il y avait beaucoup de potentiel !)
Et j'avoue, l'obsession avec CrossFit m'a un peu dépassée mais chacun sa drogue xD

Bref, une romance agréable et légère à lire =)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A romance that I was curious to read after the few glimpses we had of the couple and I really enjoyed reading this romance !

I really liked the romance (that roadside birth scene <3 and all the angst around their past ! And the so realistic drama around Murphy's disease !) but I was a little disappointed by the lack of drama (especially with the ex rock star, there was a lot of potential !)
And I must admit, the obsession with CrossFit overwhelmed me a bit, but everyone has their drug xD

In short, a pleasant and light romance to read =)
Profile Image for Jenn Amy.
890 reviews68 followers
September 7, 2021
Jerk It, Madd Crossfit book #2 by Lani Lynn Vale was a phenomenal and an unexpectedly emotional read. Mavis and Murphy have history. They knew each other growing up but were then forced apart. Now back in each other lives they are teetering on cusp of hate and love. I devoured this book. From beginning to end I found it impossible to put down. Every moment shared between Mavis and Murphy I couldn’t get enough of. Their intense chemistry, connection and banter was fantastic and needed more at every turn of the page. Mavis is feisty and fiery and Murphy is a bit hard headed and having difficulty letting go of the past but leave it to Mavis as she doesn’t back down nor will she allow him to push her away. This story is beautifully written but also heartbreaking. Be prepared for an emotional reading experience like no other. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Note: Advanced reader copy in exchange of an honest review.
Profile Image for April Symes.
4,991 reviews403 followers
September 8, 2021
Jerk It is Book 2 in Madd CrossFit series by Lani Lynn Vale. This is Mavis and Murphy's story. Get the tissues ready!! In fact, get the whole box or 2 at the ready because this book will have you ugly crying!! I, at several points was ready to rip my hair out, because I didn't expect what happened to happen so , well done! Mavis and Murphy have a history- they knew each other as kids then things happened that caused them to not be friends anymore. This story shows what caused them not to be friends, the mending of their friendship and really how still in love with each other they still are. And the tragedy that lies waiting... this book tore me up and I'm still being pieced back together. It's an emotionally intense, with lighthearted moments and those witty LLV lines that readers love. This book will break you and remake you. Mavis and Murphy are a beautiful couple. I can't wait for book 3.

My Rating: 4.5 stars ********
Profile Image for 2OCC Reviews.
3,428 reviews238 followers
September 7, 2021
When I first started reading I thought it was going to be like all the other LLV books that I have read and loved but this book was different in the best ways possible. You know when you are reading a book, and you get so invested in it, then something happens and you get this feeling of anxiety when the characters go though something rough? Yeah, that’s what this book did to me.

These characters go though a lot in this book but they dealt and came out stronger. The support system with the other characters is simply amazing. I’m really scared to give away too much away about the plot of the story so I won’t say much. When you read the blurb you will get a sense of what the story is I just know the author did an amazing job writing this book. I was sucked in from the start. 5 stars #2OCCJD
Profile Image for The Smutbrarians.
2,221 reviews1,724 followers
Feels 4
Storyline 5
Steam 3
Overall Rating 5
Kindle eArc provided by Author
Reviewed by Lindsey

This one…hit my right in my feels. Lani once again slays another great read. The characters were fun but soooo deep at the same time. Great chemistry and definitely some witty banter to keep me giggling the entire time. This is most definitely a second chance romance. I cried! And I never cry! So kudos to Lani! Enjoy y’all! This cross fit series is epic so far. I can’t wait for the next one.
367 reviews
September 1, 2021
Oh my heart! This latest installment of the crossfit series is one that will tear at your heartstrings. It almost got to a point when I had to put my kindle down and walk away. 😭😭 I am absolutely amazed by this series and lani always has me on the edge of my seat. These stories are so relevant and real and I am get so so invested. I love it! ❤
Profile Image for Karen.
5,201 reviews52 followers
September 14, 2021
Pretty good read. Its difficult and you'll need tissue but quite satisfying in the end.

I fely the mean mother's part was over the top. I got the Madden men mixed up....and I wasn't sure how or why baby's daddy was someone famous as it really didn't mean much to Mafia at all.
Weird. So star off for those things not doing it for me.

I do like him bumping into Jasper part. Pretty cool.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Read All About It.
1,300 reviews24 followers
Absolute Must Read!!

What to say about this book. You better grab a whole box of tissues before you read this book because it will rip you apart at the seams.
Mavis and Murphy have known each other since they were kids. Things happened to make then hate each other.

You couldn’t handle me, even if I came with instructions. -Mavis to Murphy

It was super hard to read in several places I had to put it down because I was crying like a baby. This is absolutely the most intense book Ms Vale has ever written. The story is a roller coster of emotions that will keep you on pins and needles. She really had me wondering if there would be a happy ending. Trust me you don’t want to miss this book.

“You’re the most beautiful thing in the world, Vladimir Alessio Pope.” I paused. “And don’t tell that man that you’re named after him, or he’ll find a reason to be mad at me about it.”
Profile Image for Ashley Carr, LSoR.
3,885 reviews45 followers
September 7, 2021
I am an emotional wreck after reading this book! Best be prepared to have tissues on hand and don’t read this book in public! Mavis and Murphy have known each other since they were kids and his mother working as a housekeeper on her grandmother’s estate. One thing leads to another and they don’t see each other for many years until he shows back up as the town’s mechanic. They are both forced to interact with each other and start to develop feelings. But Murphy is stubborn and won’t admit to these feelings. Will he finally bring those walls down around his heart to let Mavis in? Will it be too late for them?
Profile Image for Alex(Books-In-A-Storm).
1,420 reviews29 followers
Holy crap my heart.
I just absolutely loved this one it made me sit on the edge of my seat for half the book.
I can't wait for the next book in the series. I love this story and the characters in it.
Profile Image for Stephanie.
904 reviews104 followers
September 8, 2021
I haven’t read LLV in over a year and this was such a pleasant surprise! I don’t think I’ve ever cried this much while reading one of her books. Grab tissues people.
Profile Image for Kim  Brewing.
3,144 reviews31 followers
April 17, 2022
I only took half a star off because of the loss for the gain.
THIS is the kind of LLV story I love. It didn't follow the formula. He wasn't a hard body or a cop and she wasn't perfect, she was a nurse but I could live with that. Vlad, love the name. TISSUES required.
Profile Image for R. Beach.
Author 6 books8 followers
May 13, 2022
Wow. This was a heart wrenching journey until nearly the end. To love someone but to hold back to keep them from being hurt when you know you're slowly dying, the ultimate sacrifice. Murphy was a hero but he finally learned that you have to live life in the moment because he was one blessed or curse to know his life was dwindling. That ending though, that Jasper died which allowed Murphy to live. We hear about these stories or know of people who need organ transplants and pray for their healing but there's a dark side to those prayers and this story illustrated that perfectly. Thank you LLV for tackling such a harsh subject.

This book... as I was mid way through I got the terrible news that my best friend since high school had died from Covid tonight (her husband had died on Sunday from Covid). This wonderful loving couple who were true soulmates went to that wonderful place that Murphy described together. She won't have to live without him and I know that is some comfort the family will have despite their double loss. The situation is heartbreaking but LLV having put that little bit in this book about the afterlife and how Murphy was actually saddened not to remain there for a period after he was brought back helped the loss not stab as deeply. It reminded me of things (as a believer) we have to look forward too. And though we grieve because they aren't with us anymore, they are in a much better place with family they were grieving for.

This will always be a personally painful book every time I manage to do a re-read but also one that will remind me to celebrate every moment of every day. Love fully, deeply, and with gusto!
Profile Image for Bec.
1,344 reviews20 followers
September 11, 2021
LLV has done it...made me reach for the Kleenex! I mean I knew we would get the HEA but the hero had to overcome his heartache first. Vlad the impales born on the side of the road...mavis was a level five hot mess. There were funny moments, incredibly sad moments and then there was the ending of this story!🙃
Profile Image for Rose Belle.
495 reviews7 followers
January 22, 2022
"Lightning crashes, an old mother dies. Her intentions fall to the floor. The angel closes her eyes. The confusion that was hers belongs now to the baby down the hall." -Live & Alessio Murphy Romano (probably)

First, there was Mess Me Up. And we cried and cried.

Then, there was I'd Rather Not. And we cried and cried.

And now, LLV presents to you...Jerk It, or as I like to say, Jerk Your Feelings Around Until Your a Puddle of Tears. Get your tissue boxes ready. It's crying time.

While No Rep was an in your face CrossFit book, Jerk It, well...not so much. See, it's about Murphy. He's had a rough life. When he was younger, his mom got fired as a housekeeper for Mavis' evil grandmother, and they lost their place to live. As a result, he ended up with a heart condition, had some really bad medical things go down, and now is waiting on a heart transplant. If he doesn't get the transplant? Well, it won't look good for him in the long run. He's pretty angry at Mavis because he blames her for his mother losing her job that set off the whole series of events, even though he secretly loves her. He also doesn't want her to get too close because he just doesn't know how much longer he has to live. But...as with any love story, they fall in love anyhow, and that's where this story goes to s%!t...lol

Mavis Pope had a one night stand with country star and ended up preggers. He wanted nothing to do with said baby and told her to "get rid of it." She didn't. In fact, she's rockin' the single mom thing--except that her little one loves everyone but her, so she thinks. She's always loved Murphy and is dismayed after finding him all these later hating her guts. But it doesn't take her that long to find out that this is a façade. He really does like her, and he's hiding something. When she finds out, she has to figure out how to deal with it without having it destroy her.

First of all, I PROMISE you that this is a HEA. I have to put this in the review because honestly I wasn't sure about that for a good chunk of the book. It was...rough. There were tears...so many tears. This was no a Crossfit book. This was a cross tissue boxes off your shopping list cuz you're gonna need them. There was so much emotion. So much anguish. But there was also so much triumph and so much love. I'm glad LLV doesn't write this type of book all the time. I couldn't deal. She does write only HEAs, though. Don't fret. Do read this book. It is an excellent read. I just can't read these types of books all the time. I'd go nuts. NUTTTTTZZZZ. *breaks down into uncontrollable sobs*

Oh, one last thing...No Robocop jokes? Not one. Seriously? His name is MURPHY. He's DYING. No jokes about turning him into a robotic cop. NOTHING? You missed a big one there, LLV. SMH

Madd CrossFit Series
-Review of No Rep (Madd CrossFit, #1)
-Review of Jerk It (Madd CrossFit, #2)
-Review of Chalk Dirty to Me (Madd CrossFit, #3)
Profile Image for Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog).
4,913 reviews153 followers

Amazon / Apple / Nook / Kobo

Mavis and Murphy used to be best friends when they were kids. Now as adults, they're enemies at worst, sneer at each other at best. And yet, there's a lot more to them than just the contempt. There's attraction, there's chemistry, and there's love, much as they try to deny it. And then the mother of all twists, and the sobs came, the tears gushed, and I was cursing Lani honestly. I won't spoil, but I will say these two took me on an emotional rollercoaster.

I'm not gonna lie, I shed more than a few tears while reading Murphy and Mavis' love story. I wasn't prepared in the slightest for the journey they'd take me on, but I loved it, loved them. Their story is intense, emotional and heart-rending, but sweet and loving, too. I am not going to forget these two (3) any time soon!

ARC via author for an honest review.

Review / Release Blitz: Live Through Books Blog.

Blog | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter
Displaying 1 - 30 of 233 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.