Start by marking “Fourteen: Growing Up Alone In A Crowd” as Want to Read:
Fourteen: Growing Up Alone In A Crowd

Fourteen: Growing Up Alone In A Crowd

This is the story of a boy who couldn't find enough room to live in until he left his angry father, distant mother and 13 siblings behind to withdraw into the world inside his head. Forty years later he emerged, reaching out to his brothers and sisters and finding hope and wholeness.
Published May 14th 2003 by Basic Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fourteen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fourteen

Dicelle Reyes
Dec 06, 2008 Dicelle Reyes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
picked up randomly at a public library when I was supposed to be studying. A very interesting look into the stresses of having a huge family. Not always as happy as one would think.
Kristie
Jul 25, 2008 Kristie rated it liked it
This was an interesting account of a family with 14 children. How I wish it was a happy tale, one of togetherness and love, but it was quite the opposite for the most part.

I finished the book with a feeling of regret that the author and his siblings didn't get the love they needed or deserved. And I realized how lucky I am.
Walt Trachim
Apr 10, 2016 Walt Trachim rated it it was amazing
I know the two youngest members of this family and have for nearly forty years. In spite of that, I knew nothing about this story as it was written. Reading this book was a wrenching experience, and I can only imagine how life must have been within their home.

Considering some of the things that my friends said about their parents, I have to believe them now. Back then I was skeptical; after all, how does anyone treat their kids the way their brother describes? That said, I was mistaken, mainly b
Mike
Jul 13, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very interesting in light of our society's recent fascination with large families. Zanichowsky's story puts large families into a very real perspective. The friction in the household is palpable as children and it clearly followed them into adulthood. I enjoyed his writing style and the fact that he is a pseudo-local writer (Southern Maine) seemed to enhance the connection as I read.
Jessica
Jan 09, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it
Memoir about #8 of 14 kids in an abusive Catholic family. The story here is interesting but not all that well written. Straightforward and honest- almost disturbingly. (Masturbating to thoughts of sisters?) Enough closure to end the book but not to satisfy.
Fzap9
Jun 21, 2013 Fzap9 rated it it was amazing
If you grew up in a large family, you will find a lot of correlation in Stephen and his family. The family unit and so much unspoken words that can leave one's soul and relationship to other vacant and stronger with others.
Jj
Feb 03, 2008 Jj rated it it was ok
I found the author to be very whiny and self-centered, and the story meandered on and on with few conclusions or insight.
The constant negativity was depressing (and altogether too conceited), and I found myself continuing to read just to get it over with.
Cathy
May 26, 2015 Cathy added it
The early and late chapters had promise, but there was a lot of rambling to much of the book.
Cheryl Schibley
May 26, 2009 Cheryl Schibley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir-biography
If you've ever wanted to know what it like growing up in a family so large that people don't know each other - then read this book. It's an amazing story.
Cora
Nov 14, 2014 Cora rated it liked it
A well-written memoir. Tough to read about the childhood he experienced, which he describes and reflects on in an authentic way.
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2010- This was a rather depressing book of a large family's trials and troubles. Much of the writing seemed like the author trying to heal by discussing his issues with his father.
Karen
Aug 24, 2007 Karen rated it liked it
quite interesting, although I wish Stephen had presented more of his siblings' feelings. It's an interesting explanation of himself, though.
Carol
Aug 27, 2008 Carol rated it liked it
Recommended to Carol by: Mom
Ok. Not great. A lot of words, not a lot of story.
Dree
Interesting, but it kind of petered out rather than ended.
Mary Blye
Mary Blye rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Lori
Lori rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2009
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2011
E.D.Maier
E.D.Maier rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2011
L
L rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2008
Lawoman
Lawoman rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2011
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2011
Catie Worrall
Catie Worrall rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2014
Melyssa MacQuarrie
Melyssa MacQuarrie rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2017
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2011
Dana
Dana rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2015
Kimf
Kimf rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2011
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2008