Jump to ratings and reviews

Auckland Med. #5

You Are Cordially Invited

There’s a wedding in the air at Auckland Med, but Reuben wonders if they’ll survive the stress long enough to say, ‘I do’. Cam is directing the entire operation with his combat eyeliner in place, whilst the wedding party is doing its best to ignore him. The pressure is mounting and the cracks are beginning to show.

There’s a bachelor party to survive.
The paparazzi to outrun.
A wedding outfit to confirm.
A rugby game to win.
A jerk of a father to cope with.
A stunning opportunity to consider.
A relationship to untangle.
And a shocking event that could derail everything.

With the universe conspiring against them, Reuben and Cam will have to summon every scrap of belief they have in each other to make it to their vows.

255 pages, Kindle Edition

First published June 17, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jay Hogan

20 books603 followers

JAY HOGAN IS A 2020 LAMBDA LITERARY FINALIST IN GAY ROMANCE and a New Zealand author writing in m/m romance and romantic suspense.She has travelled extensively, and in another life she was an Intensive Care Nurse and a counselor. She is owned by a huge Maine Coon cat and a gorgeous Cocker Spaniel.

You can find Jay at:

jayhoganauthor@gmail.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
11 (1%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 125 reviews
Profile Image for Florence ..
829 reviews176 followers
July 12, 2021
4 “Reuben loves you. Let him in“ stars

”I love you Cameron Wano, every sharp-needled, snark filled, lace covered, bossy, prickly, glorious centimetre of you. Don’t ever change”

Was this book over the top? Yes
Was this book way more dramatic than I normally like? Yes
Did I want to yell at one of the main characters for half the book? Yes
Did I care? No
Did that stop me from loving the book? No

First things first, this is not a standalone. This is book 5 in the series and really should be read in this order if you want to understand whats happening. This is Cam and Rueben’s (from Crossing the Touchline) wedding’s planning and their wedding. And all of the characters in the other books in the series, show up, a lot.

This was basically my reaction when I saw that I got an ARC of this book:

I have been waiting for this book ever since Jay Hogan mentioned it would be happening. I love Cam and Rueben so much. And Cam is probably one of my favourite character of all time. And I really wanted more of these guys after their book.

I went through all the emotions when it came to starting to read this book. I was so happy to read it and I was so excited when I got an ARC. But then I started getting into a really bad reading slump and I wasn’t in a very good mood and I kept pushing back reading it because I knew the slump would probably make me hate it. Now that i’m back in a better mood, I feel like I couldn’t have picked a better time to read this. Which I think really helped with my enjoyment here. And Jay Hogan books are really long to read and they require a lot of focus and I know this would not have gone well during my reading slump.

I have read every Jay Hogan book but one. And while this series is not my favourite by Jay Hoagan, I much prefer the calm and peacefulness of Southern Lights to the high drama of this series, I have read all the books in this series. I knew what to expect and I knew that most things in this book would have annoyed me when I was in my really bad reading slump. I expected these guys to not communicate very well, the big dramatic fits, one of the main character being almost murdered and the evil father, so it bothered me less than it normally would. I was prepared for it after reading the first book with this couple and the other books in this series.

I still love Cam, so much. Jay Hogan has tried to create so many characters like him, the diva thats feminine and very snarky, but everyone just feels like discounted versions of Cam compared to how fierce and realistic Cam is.

Brief summary
Cam, a very sassy charge nurse at the local hospital, and Rueben, an out and proud rugby player, have been together for two years. They are engaged and Cam is hard at work getting everything ready for their wedding.

I actually really loved this book, as my high rating shows. My review will be a lot of my complaints but none of it actually lowered my enjoyment of the book. I was a little confused and I wanted to yell at Cam but it doesn’t mean I didn’t love the book. Cam’s actions really annoyed me sometimes but in a charming way. I was very much enjoyed reading about it, and it was entertaining. I never had a chance to be bored while reading this. Reading this book was exactly like watching a soap opera but I couldn’t look away and I enjoyed every seconds of it.

I would like to make it clear that my 4 stars isn’t really because of my problems with Cam. I gave this book 4 stars because there was no on page wedding night sex scene, in a book about a wedding

”I’ve got news for you, Cameron Wano, you don’t have that kind of power. You might be the boss in the bedroom, but outside of it, we do this thing together or we don’t do it at all”

First, I love weddings and I really love wedding preparations, so I knew I would enjoy reading about that part of the story. And I was right, that was so much fun. I was a big fan of how personalized to them the wedding was. I enjoyed that everything about the wedding (the actual wedding and not the planning) was typicaly Cam and Rueben, it fit them so well.

Second, Cam is bossy and doesn’t include Rueben in the wedding preparations. Which kind of annoyed me. I understand that he wants to be in charge and decide everything but since they’re two people getting married, shouldn’t it be about the two of them and not just about one of them wants? Also, Cam was always dimissive of Rueben wanting to help, like he couldn’t possibly want to. Why wouldn’t the poor guy help plan his own wedding? I understand that Cam is independant. But him and Rueben have been together for a long time and his desire to be fiercly inpendant and to deal with stuff on his own and to not include Rueben into things really pissed me too. You’re about to marry the guy, why can’t you relly on him?

Third, look, I often complain about stereotypes in books and Cam is the stereotypical bossy, femme MC who’s also happens to be a top. But he’s really fun and I always enjoy reading about him. I like that even if he’s kind of a cliche, he’s entertaining and lovely. His character just really works for me.

Fourth, Rueben and Cam have so much chemestry, I love them together so much. They are such a good couple. They compliment the other well. Bold and snarky Cam and calm and solid Rueben are a really good pair.

Fifth, I loved the interactions with all of their friends. I loved seeing other characters from previous Jay Hogan books. This book is a tricky one because it probably won’t be enjoy to his maximum if you haven’t read most Jay Hogan books. There is cameos from characters from a lot of Jay Hogan books. I loved seeing those people come back for a scene or two. Seeing everyone together and interacting was one of my favourite part of the story.

Fifth, this book is like you’re watching a soap opera where a couple is planing their wedding, but for some reason, it really worked for me here. I think the drama didn’t really bother me because I expect wedding planing to be stressful, cahotic and ridiculous at times. So I could understand why the book was so dramatic. This book is pure fun. It’s quite ridiculous and over the top and there is drama like every 5 seconds but it really worked for me.

Sixth, I love the humour in this, it’s snarky and sarcastic, which is my favourite type of humour and the banter between Cam and Rueben, it’s just lovely.

Seventh, these two adopted Cory, Rueben’s nephew and it’s so lovely. He’s 7 and on the spectrum and I really enjoyed how he’s described. He actually sounds really realistic and like an actual kid, I just love him.

Eight, the sex scenes in this were so damn hot. They were the perfect compliment to the romance part. I love the sex scenes between an established couple when they know what works and how to turn on the other, it’s so much better to me. Also i’m a big fan of the dynamic when it’s the smaller guy who’s the top and the bigger guy who’s the bottom, so the sex scenes in this worked really well for me in that regards. Also, I love how Cam wears lace and how it’s an important part of the sex scenes. It’s really hot.

But I have a bone to pick with Jay Hogan, why the fuck did we not get wedding night sex?? We got a mention of it happening but we didn’t actually get to see it. Which I feel very robbed about. Whats the point of a book about a wedding without wedding night sex?

Ninth, there was a side plot where they were trying to decide if they wanted to adopt a baby from someone in Cam’s family and I was so interested in that. I loved how it wasn’t all easy and how they talked about it together. And it was just really nice to read about.

Tenth, I got so annoyed at Cam making assumptions and assuming that Rueben didn’t want things. Cam barely talked to Rueben about his worries. You’re getting married, just talk to him. Please and thank you. Also, when it came to Rueben’s point of view, he kept saying about how he was feeling sad and left out that Cam wasn’t really talking to him. Which broke my heart. I didn’t enjoy how the book showed it as Rueben needing to step up and talk to Cam, how was he supposed to, Cam never let really him do that, because he wanted to control everything. I understand that Cam’s controlling nature is just how he is, but it really annoyed me at times.

Eleventh, I’m starting to wonder if Jay Hogan has murderous tendancies because there is not one book of hers where a main character doesn’t almost die. This is just mean at this point. But I must admit, I really liked how it was done here. It happened quite early in the book so we got to read about the injury happening, the time in the hospital where the other main character wasn’t sure his man would be fine, the different diagnosis possibles and what it really was, the recovery from the injury and everything. I really loved reading about that.

Twelfth, there is evil fathers and then there is whatever Rueben’s father is. As an example, the guy, who is very homophobic, treatened to rape Cam. I just. I think it’s time to retire the evil father trope, forever.

Thirteenth, this book made me go through so much emotions. Mostly lots of tears, frustration, anger and lots of rolling my eyes.

Side note, I would be lying if I said I wasn’t crying my eyes out at the wedding. That scene was so emotional and perfect, I just loved it so much.

Fourteenth, for a book about a wedding. There wasn’t much actual wedding in the book, most just preparation. The wedding scene stoped before they said I do and we didn’t get to see the wedding night sex. I wanted to see more of the wedding. Expecially considering that was the main point of the book.

But most importantly, for all the times that Cam annoyed me in this book, I still love him. Yes he got on my nerves. But you don’t know how glad I am that be had a personality and flaws. I really enjoy not perfect characters in my books. I liked that he wasn’t perfect and had to learn from his mistakes. Seeing him change and grow beats how annoyed I was at him. I really enjoyed how this book showed conflict and relationship issues. I liked that it wasn’t all smooth sailing.

Side note, just a comment but how unsafe is this fucking hospital? It felt like no one ever did any work. Most of the gang works at the hospital and one of them is a doctor at the ER and Cam kept pulling them all for meetings about the wedding in his office during work hours (one time there was an accident and patients to take care of and Cam forced the ER doctor into a meeting in his office, so the doctor could not care for those patients). Maybe we could not kill random innocent people to plan a wedding, that would be appreciated.

It’s hard for me to explain how I have so many complains about the book and I still loved it. It just worked for me, so well. Even if it was over the top most of the book.

Also dear Jay Hogan, where’s that book about Mac? I’m going to need it! He was described as a “huge freckled grizzly bear” and I love him already.

I received an ARC of this book, and this is my honest review.
Profile Image for Loulou .
770 reviews
April 14, 2022
Reread via audiobook
Gary Furlong.... Sir? Who gave you the right to be so good? I mean really! Warn a girl next time would you?
Cam/You crying in this was heartbreaking!
Brava sir. Brava.

4.5 stars!
I received an ARC from GRR and this is my honest review.

This book was #SwootCity and I am not ashamed to say that I ignored some #RealLife deadlines to finish reading it. #SorryNotSorry

What I Loved:

1. I want to reiterate that Cam is my #SpiritAnimal. He's strong, fearless and sassy AF. But deep down there is a vulnerability to him that only Ruby, and few chosen others, can see. Cam shows us that sometimes, he can't always be the boss and control the world. I adore him even when he frustrates me to no end. #YouKnowWhatYouDidMister

2. Rueben is my #HoneybunSugarplum. Ruby's character development was AWESOME. He becomes a man worthy of Cam and Cory. A family man who is strong, a partner in everyway that matters. He shows so much progress which makes him that much swoonier. Cam, you will have to learn to share because I love Ruby so! #ILickedHimHesMine

3. The Romance: Let's see... It's sweet without being sappy, swoony without being OTT, real and organic without being forced. Cam and Ruby's relationship is strong and tactile. they are a power couple who take on the world and come out the other side. #StrongerThanYesterday

4. The Side-characters: The found family in this series is simply amazing. They are fun, charming and what true friends should be. They go above and beyond for Cam and Rueben in this book and are pillars of strength that both MCs can lean on. #CircleOfTrust

5. The FEEEEELLSSSS: I won't say why there are so many feels and emotions, because #Spoiler! But I will say that seeing Cam so vulnerable was simultaneously a joy and a sadness. He let his feelings show, whether happy or sad. #DoubleEdgedSword

6. Angst-o-meter: medium angst.. not relationship angst but things that affect the MCs. #PoorBabies

7. Steam-o-meter: Steamy! #YeahBaby

8. The HEA: So sweet. These guys deserve this HEA. #AtLast

Now...
I did have some niggles:
- The endearment baby was used too much for my liking.
- I was frustrated with Cam towards the end of the book, the same time that the story dragged a bit for me.

But... All in all. I love this series and these characters.
Profile Image for Cadiva.
3,224 reviews290 followers
May 29, 2021
If you were expecting this to simply be a tacked on epilogue of sorts to Jay's utterly brilliant Crossing the Touchline then think again.

This is a full on novel with a deep emotional thread running right through which sees both Cameron and Reuben pushed to their limits by a myriad of different hurdles on their way to the aisle.

Don't fret though, this is just as swoony as their original love story, they're still madly in love and utterly committed to each other, even if there are times they need their heads banging together when old fears surface.

As you'd expect from this series, all the rest of the gang are on hand to bolster defences, run interference shields and generally just be the best bunch of friends a sassy Charge Nurse and his All Black fullback could ever need.

I'm not going to spoil the plot, it worked beautifully for me, the tensions were honest and not there for dramady effects, nothing comes with a WTF moment but there were plenty of times I was OMG-ing along the way.

Ultimately, what you get from this book is exactly what you'd expect. Two men who are willing to lay their lives on the line for the other and their families making a lifelong commitment to always be there.

Oh and it's insanely hot as well 😉

#ARC kindly received from the author in return for an honest and unbiased review
Profile Image for Miss Blattsalat.
117 reviews
June 25, 2021
“Somehow, I kept moving, one foot in front of the other, my heart afire.
Heading for Reuben. Heading home.”

I loved loved loved this story!

Cam and Reuben´s wedding is just around the corner and is supposed to take place in 14 days.
What could possibly go wrong when the soon-to-be-husbands are so very much in love like Cam and Reuben?
Well, a lot.

I have to admit, I was a little bit lost on the first pages into this story.
It is safe to stay, this story does not go as a standalone.
I was aware, it is part of the “Auckland Med” series (that I have not read yet🙈), so I was just overwhelmed when we are thrown right from the start into all the party people of Cam and Reuben’s bachelor party.
So many names, so many interesting and wonderful couples, I did not know where to put them. So, I really really need to read the previous books in this series to catch up.

BUT: the soon-to-be husbands, God, I love these two.
Cam and Reuben. The perfectionist, control freak, drama queen, ER nurse and the gentle, big-hearted, laid-back pro Rugby player. They are just so adorable and perfect together and I love that they finally get their well deserved HEA.

But wow, what a ride, I loved every bit drama of it!
I loved the relationships with their friends and teamplayers, the support and strength and love they give each other.

Be sure, I will be soon back in the “Auckland Med” world!
Highly recommended!

I was friendly provided with an ARC from Eliza Rae Services, thank you💞
Profile Image for Caz.
2,619 reviews992 followers
August 2, 2021
I've given this a B- at AAR, so 3.5 stars rounded up.

Book five in the Auckland Med series (I’m not sure it’s the last one?), You Are Cordially Invited is ‘The One With the Wedding’ – although it’s much more than a fluffy wedding short -  in which everyone’s favourite, fabulous, feisty Charge Nurse, Cam Wano, ties the knot with the love of his life, Reuben Taylor of the All Blacks.  There’s a wedding, yes, but there’s a lot more going on as well, as Cam and Reuben are faced with some momentous decisions just weeks away from their walk down the aisle – and Cam has to face some of his worst fears and personal demons.

Around three years since Reuben and Cam first met in Crossing the Touchline, they’ve settled into coupledom and family life pretty well.  Reuben has adopted his brother’s autistic son, Cory, and he and Cam are doing a great job providing a stable, nurturing environment for him.  And of course, they love him to bits. But with Reuben being one of the highest-profile sportsmen in the country, the level of media intrusion into their lives is a continual worry;  they both knew, going into their relationship, that it would be an issue, but there are still plenty of people out there who are prepared to hate on Reuben’s choice of such an obviously out and proud partner, and neither of them want Cory being dragged into the unwanted spotlight with them.  With just a couple of weeks to go before the Big Day and following a riotous and raunchy bachelor party, Cam and Reuben are nursing epic hangovers when Cam gets a call from his mum – and is strangely uncommunicative about it.  Reuben knows something is up, but he also knows his man and doesn’t push. But that doesn’t mean he’s going to leave it alone completely, and instead of heading off to training, he turns up at Margaret Wano’s house just in time to meet Cam going in.

The call Cam received was to tell him that his nineteen-year-old cousin Stella is pregnant.  Stella plans to put the baby up for adoption, but wanted to explore the options of an adoption within the family first – and that Cam and Reuben are her first choice of potential parents, if they’re interested.  It’s a bit of a bombshell; they do want more children, but had decided to defer enlarging their family  until after Reuben retires from professional sport so that they can share the child-rearing duties – and obviously, there’s Cory to take into account, too.  It’s a golden opportunity, but it’s not the right time… is it?

The adoption storyline is just one of the things that hit Cam and Reuben in the run-up to their wedding – like they haven’t got enough on their plate already, what with taking care of last-minute wedding details, fending off the increased media attention, and Reuben’s toxic and obnoxious father spouting off his homophobic opinions to anyone who will listen.

A shocking development later in the book (which I’m not going to spoil) just puts the couple under even greater pressure… and I couldn’t help feeling as though I’d stepped into a soap opera.  Cam and Reuben are hit with one potentially life-changing problem after another – and it felt like overkill.

I enjoyed seeing the  Auckland Med  gang again; their friendships are really well written and the author has created a wonderfully strong sense of camaraderie between them so that you know, without a doubt, they’ll always have each other’s backs.  Cam is still a standout as a character – snarky, bossy and with a huge-heart – and his chemistry with Reuben is as strong as ever.  They’re a great couple, and the thing I liked best about this book is the way Jay Hogan continues to develop their relationship.  There aren’t all that many “established couple” novels in contemporary romance, which traditionally end at the HEA, so catching up with Cam and Reuben and finding them still working at it was good to see.  I liked the way the author explores an issue that could have become a serious fault-line for them – Cam’s need to control every situation as a way of protecting those he cares for.  It’s well-intentioned, and a product of Cam’s need to create a safe space around himself, but when it comes to Reuben, wanting to enable him to focus on his professional life without sweating the smaller stuff means Cam has denied him the opportunity to make choices and have some say in the way they run their lives.  And despite his promises not to keep things back or make decisions on his own, Cam has fallen back into his old ways – and has to learn that sharing burdens and asking for help are signs of strength rather than weakness.

That’s what lies at the heart of this story, the ways a couple finds to compromise and balance their relationship, and how difficult it can be when that couple involves two such strong individuals.  Unfortunately however, while the extraneous drama provides some really good opportunities to illustrate that point, it also gets in the way, and it stretched my credulity just a bit too far.

There were things about this book I liked very much – the adoption storyline is really interesting, for instance – but it just didn’t hang together cohesively, and I can’t rate it as highly as I’ve rated Jay Hogan’s other books.  I like a bit of drama and I like angsty stories, but here, I wish the author had reined it all in a bit.  Sometimes less really is more.

You Are Cordially Invited may not have worked for me quite as well as I’d hoped, but I’m still a big Jay Hogan fan and will certainly be picking up whatever she publishes next.
Profile Image for True Loveislovereview.
2,115 reviews1 follower
June 16, 2021
With an approaching wedding, there is a lot to arrange, it’s twisted between the busy agendas from Cam and Reuben.
Prepare yourself for a spectacular story, with the beautifully layered personalities Cam and Reuben. The whole story was considered, humorous, feisty, sassy, playful, honest, mature, big-hearted, generous, emotional, heart-wrenching, warm and so so full of love.

It’s not alone about the big wedding, there is so much going on. It’s about family, choices, giving up control. Whatever they do it’s after careful deliberation.

‘Pinky swear?’

I won’t spoil what’s happening in this narrative, that wouldn’t be fair.
Between the sassy banters there are a lot of beautiful emotional moments to find. At times my eyes were dripping, how could I not because dang these men are everything!

“You’ve loved off all my sharp edges.”

There is a vulnerability in the most moving way, goosebumps all over. There is laughter, gosh at times hilarious, I smiled so hard.
Let’s not forget the stress and anxiety. There are some significant matters.

This narrative is far from superficial, the reflections are wonderfully written. The author created two beautiful layered characters, I’m so happy I had the opportunity to witness their beautiful journey, super romantic and quite sexy at times, it’s one big process of learning and loving and they are doing so great!

Highly recommended!
Profile Image for Marthea.
688 reviews1 follower
April 17, 2022
4,25
Kontynuacja losów mojej ulubionej pary z tej serii, czyli Cama i Reubena - zatem co tutaj mogło mi się nie podobać 😁

Full wypas historia, która obejmuje dwa tygodnie pozostałe do ich ślubu, ale która - na całe szczęście - nie opiera się tylko i wyłącznie na przygotowaniach i przedślubnej tremie. Wprawdzie był moment, kiedy chciałam osobiście UDUSIĆ Cama, no ale cóż - nikt nie jest doskonały 😉 Było dużo wzruszeń, niespodziewanych wydarzeń i śmiechu - no bo jakże inaczej mogłoby być, skoro jednym z głównych bohaterów była królowa dramatu, makijażu, ER i kontroli, czyli Cameron. Dodatkowo pojawili się wszyscy bohaterowie z poprzednich części, a nawet były delikatne powiązania zarówno z Digging Deep, jak i z Flat Whites & Chocolate Fish - co dla mnie zawsze jest wisienką na torcie 😁

Czekam zatem na następne części, bo nie ma możliwości, żeby ich nie było - przynajmniej jedna, a może nawet i dwie historie spokojnie zmieszczą się w serii 😁
Profile Image for Sharing The Book Love.
468 reviews9 followers
June 17, 2021
OMG OMG -I absolutely loved this book. Cam and Reuben and a wedding and all the drama and and ...its just perfect!

From the bachelor party, to the angst, to the outfits. Catching up with old friends and falling in love with them all over again.

Jay has written a perfect ending to a wonderful series. It feels sad to say good bye to this series but I know Jay will have some more wonderful stories with new lovable characters in the future.
Profile Image for Amanda.
1,812 reviews46 followers
October 13, 2022
Audio reread made me so happy 🥰
----

[I received a digital arc for an honest review]

You Are Cordially Invited
is the 5th book in the Auckland Med series. While the previous books could be read as standalones, this one you need to have read at least book 2 Crossing the Touchline because it's that books' couple Reuben and Cameron continuing their story and getting married. I'm also not going to do a summary of the book in this review because all you need to know is that so much happens on the way to them saying I do, and you don't want to go into it with more than the synopsis' gives you.

"I love you, Cameron Wano, every sharp-needled, snark-filled, lace-covered, bossy , prickly, glorious centimeter of you. Don't ever change."

You Are Cordially Invited
exceeded my expectations in the best way and I loved every moment of it, even when it had me in tears! I was a little nervous for this book because I'll be honest Cam and Reubens' book was my least favorite of the series, but I was excited to be back with this group of friends and see my favorite couples again. This is filled with Reuben and Cam experiencing some fun times with friends, life-changing decisions, and intimate scenes that are hot as sin and do not disappoint. Our character's stay true to who they are but grow together in their relationship without losing what makes each of them unique. The love they have for one another is undeniable and every tender declaration of love and sweet moment between them will have you happy sighing constantly.

"This love we have, baby, this is the real deal. Forever."

That wraps up my review because I have no complaints and I'm team #NoSpoilers. The first half of the book I was cruise control reading and enjoying the steady story line thinking it was a solid 4 star read and then from the halfway point on Jay Hogan didn't hold back and my hearts a little bruised from it. If you're a fan of the Auckland Med series, you NEED to read it and experience it for yourself.
Profile Image for BevS.
2,689 reviews2 followers
May 8, 2022
***Audio Review***

Another good audio from Mr Furlong. He does really well with these Kiwi reads, his expressive storytelling so much better than when he uses his monotonous voice for other series. Rube's dad is suitably slimy 🤬, Sandy is soft and always useful, and Michael really steps up to the plate and helps his friends in their hour of need.

***Book Review***

Well, I'm giving it 5 stars assuming it's the finale of the series...but wait, what?? There may be a couple of other stories down the line featuring 🤔🤔??? Yes, and a few surprises in this story too.

Absolutely LOVED it 💕💕, Cam and Rube are my favourite couple from this series, Reuben's character has grown in leaps and bounds...even throughout this story, along with a few other characters --> yes, Michael Oliver, you!! Everyone else from the Auckland Med series also seemed to make an appearance, including unfortunately a certain git of a 'father' 🤬🤬...but the less said about him, the better [and he gets his well-deserved comeuppance anyway 👊👊]!! Needless to say, the wedding of the century [as far as Auckland is concerned anyhoo 😄] doesn't go ahead without a few hitches, and let's be really honest here, it wouldn't have been Cam and Rube's wedding without a little niggle or two, would it 😉? The bachelor party at the nightclub had me laughing out loud 😆😆, and I would've LOVED to have been in the audience for the 'Leave your Hat on' scene, featuring certain members of Auckland's finest and anyone else they could rope in.

Another one for the 2021 Best Reads shelf!!
Profile Image for Dan.
985 reviews17 followers
June 28, 2021
There's characters that just live in your head rent free due to how iconic they are. Cameron Wano is one of those. Seeing his relationship with Reuben deepen even more is almost a treat. This sits in that level between sweet and angsty that I simply adore.
It was amazing and I'm almost obliged to say it was an honor
Profile Image for Ami.
5,749 reviews501 followers
July 16, 2021
Dear Readers...

You are cordially invited to the wedding of Reuben Taylor, the New Zealand All-Black rugby star player, and Cameron Wano, ER Nurse Extraordinaire. That is if you can pass all the freaking frenzies including the bachelor party, the wedding outfit, the opportunity , the homophobic father, the rugby game, the paparazzi, and one event that can derailed the plans of all plans.

On one hand, I feel like the author are gleefully throwing all of these to poor Reuben and Cam. But on the other hand, I can't help to think that AFTER it is all said and done, it only makes Reuben and Cam a lot stronger. In addition, their family and friends have their back, front, and sides.

Reuben and Cam survive these, so they can survive ANYTHING, no matter what other surprises the universe stores for them in the future.

So congratulations, guys!! May you both (and Cory ) live FABULOUSLY ever afer!

Profile Image for Vicki.
705 reviews12 followers
May 26, 2021
After the world’s best “bingay” bachelor party, Cam and Reuben sure do have to jump through some pretty big hoops before they stand before the marriage celebrant in this fifth book of the Auckland Med series.
The writing and story telling ability of Jay Hogan leaves me in awe. So many threads are woven together to present us with a truly remarkable book.

The characters of Cam and Rueben are even further developed. Cam is his usual fabulous, sassy snarky self until multiple pressures force him to face some home truths about their relationship. Gentle hearted Reuben truly shines as a whole new strength to his character is presented to us piece by piece. Fissures appear but nothing derails them and the chemistry and heat between them remains as sizzling as ever.

My heart warmed for them, it cried out for them and I was left with the biggest, sappiest smile on my face when all became right in their world and they walked down the aisle together.

A true 5 star read that I couldn’t put down. I thoroughly enjoyed all the characters from previous books playing their roles here and there’s a “couple of unfinished story lines” that we may discover more of “somewhere down the track”.
Profile Image for E.Muddle.
1,030 reviews17 followers
June 16, 2021
I’ll admit that I wasn’t sure what to expect with this one. I hoped it would be more than an extended epilogue about the wedding. I mean, I would have loved that anyway, don’t get me wrong. But, I can’t lie and say that I wasn’t wishing for another deep, emotional, and immensely powerful story from Cam and Rueben. And I’m happy to say, that’s exactly what we got. There are a number of hoops to jump through before Cam and Rueben get to stand at the alter, and more than a few cracks begin to appear. But Cam and Rueben are more than solid; they’re still desperately in love, fully committed to one another, and their chemistry is still sizzling. What’s more, the character growth they continue to go through is awe-inspecting. Rueben, for me, actually almost outshone the sparkly and sassy Cam with his inner strength.

For an emotional whirlwind that will ultimately have you laughing out loud and shedding a few happy tears, this epic conclusion has it all!
Profile Image for Valentina  Campi.
341 reviews6 followers
August 21, 2022
Amo Cam! Ho un debole per i personaggi come lui. Cam vale da solo metà del libro e penso che non ci siano parole migliori di quelle di Reuben per descriverlo.

"Quello era il Cam che nessuno poteva vedere tranne me, e che molti neppure credevano esistesse: l’affascinante enigma di cui ero perdutamente innamorato. L’uomo sfacciato, feroce, non- faccio- prigionieri ed esigente, ma anche l’amante morbido come il burro, vulnerabile e dal cuore enorme che giaceva proprio sotto la superficie. Cam vedeva quel lato di sé come una debolezza. Sapevo che era la sua parte più preziosa, e mi uccideva il fatto che pensasse di potersi rompere se avesse lasciato che io o qualcun altro si prendesse cura di lui."
Profile Image for Kirk.
341 reviews2 followers
May 28, 2021
I hoped that this story would capture everything that I loved in Crossing the Touchline and did not disappoint. Here we see Cameron Wano and Reuben Taylor get ready for the biggest day of their lives, and let me tell you, you’re in for a real treat. There are familiar and well-loved faces throughout, all the shenanigans you could wish for, and you’ll be taken on an emotional rollercoaster where you’ll be genuinely laughing out loud, and then have a happy tear or three. This story is filled with so much love and happiness, but there’re some massive decisions to make before any HEA and it’s not just wedding related. Jay has the knack of pulling you into the story where you feel you’re part of this very special group of friends and you feel so integrated that before you know it, you’re planning your own outfit to the ‘do’! This story was everything I’d hoped for and a whole lot more; it’s hilarious, emotional and so bloomin’ hot! If you love the series, I guarantee you will fall head over heels for this one.
Profile Image for Sarah.
406 reviews3 followers
September 28, 2022
This is a really fun ending to this series. The cover made me think it would be all fluff and silliness but it’s actually a decent length novel with a surprising amount of depth and important character growth. I really enjoyed where this went and all the things thrown in the mix. Cam and Reuben carry alot of this series and it’s really nice to revisit their characters in a later stage of their lives.
Profile Image for Mar.
1,514 reviews27 followers
Read
June 23, 2021
DNF at 65% so no rating

I couldn't finished this.
It dragged like crazy, and there are just so many internal monologs and rambling I can read before I said no more.
I somehow enjoyed Crossing The Touchline even with the internal monologs and drama but this one had way too much angst.

*ARC provided by publishers in exchange for an honest review*
Profile Image for Essie .
811 reviews7 followers
June 19, 2021
I loved this couple in their first book and it’s great to have another story with them, including the couples from the other books as well!
The writer said somewhere there are some Easter eggs in the story but I haven’t found them....
Profile Image for LauraSt.
1,241 reviews44 followers
July 27, 2021
Perfection!

I just can’t let go of these men. I adore them with all my heart. Cam and Reuben are my favorite couple and this book just made me adore them more. Specially because it’s not all rainbows and flowers. It shows that couples are not perfect. The important thing is how you get over those hurdles. We also get to see all our favorite couples and I’m just so happy! Loved it!
Profile Image for Smut Librarian.
1,039 reviews38 followers
August 16, 2021
A surprisingly complex and detailed story of an upcoming wedding - with a fun cast of characters and enough drama and emotions to keep the pages flipping and the reader saying 'just one more chapter'. Best read after the others in the series.
Profile Image for Didi.
1,533 reviews86 followers
June 17, 2021
3.5 Stars

Ever wonder what happened (to the love story of the leading characters) once the curtain fell? YOU ARE CORDIALLY INVITED was what followed after Cam and Ruby found their HEA on “Crossing the Touchline” - with the men juggling their (normal) life amidst under the media’s scrutiny whilst planning their wedding.

It’s all sweet and wicked fun from the get go - not to mention sexy - as expected from Hogan’s writings and this favorite couple. But when the going got really tough even the most steadfast of the lot put down to test. And readers would discover more of Cameron Wano and Reuben Taylor, especially the depth and strength of their love for one another. I loved how as bossy as Cam was and seemingly laidback Reuben was, when the table turned they still fitted right in.

YACI also connected Hogan’s popular series with the cameos and mentions of familiar names from “Southern Lights” and “Digging Deep.” Although some junctures felt rather conveniently predictable, everything shifted with the whooping spin of game changer in the way Hogan have a knack of doing. It is a roller coaster read; a fun, snarky, twisty, and touching road to wedded bliss for the couple. Also, given the off hand introduction on here, it seems likely we might not see the last of this gang and there are more stories to come (for this series). Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

Copy of this book is kindly given by the author in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Enay QueerBooklover.
321 reviews73 followers
June 30, 2021
It feels like meeting up with old friends - Cam’s sassy, snarky, fierce character is so vivid & vibrant that he leaps off the page, and Rueben is just a huge loveably sweet teddy bear. Jay paints these characters with such depth that you feel like you know them in real life, and you feel their highs & lows. You know those books that actually give you that warm feeling in your chest when you read them? That’s every book that Jay writes, but there’s something even more special about Cam & Reuben. The path to their wedding isn’t easy. The angst is significant, unexpected but at the same time realistic. You know how sometimes you know you’ve gotten to the point in the book where there should be a the plot twist, and it seems a bit manufactured? That’s never the case with Jay’s books. And I’ve gotta say, as a nurse, Jay’s healthcare knowledge is always accurate & appropriate. I laughed out loud (a lot), I squeeeeee’d, and a cried a bit (sad AND happy tears). The wedding is incredible, leaving me one happy happy reader. Thank you again Jay.
Profile Image for Edga.
1,572 reviews15 followers
April 24, 2022
Excellent end to a great series x

Another winner from Jay Hogan , I swear she just gets better and better. This is such an emotional read, it gave me soooo many feels 🤯 Cam is his, wonderful self, but for me the star of the show is Reuben. Excellent character development by Jay, his growth throughout the book is outstanding. I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of this and I stayed up overnight to read it, I'm knackered today, but it was well worth a near sleepless night.
Absolutely loved it 🥰
Displaying 1 - 30 of 125 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.