Start by marking “ARIADNE & DIONYSUS” as Want to Read:
ARIADNE & DIONYSUS

ARIADNE & DIONYSUS

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  14 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In her debut novel in English, Greek author and world-class conductor Stamatia Karampini brilliantly unravels a mythological archetype against the backdrop of the modern classical music industry.
A six-year-old girl from Crete is frightened when she spots her own name inside a book of mythology: ARIADNE Despite being reassured it is just fiction, during the next thirty yea
Paperback, first edition, 398 pages
Published May 28th 2021 by www.karampini.com, Amazon

To ask other readers questions about ARIADNE & DIONYSUS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ARIADNE & DIONYSUS

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of ARIADNE & DIONYSUS
Jamie
May 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books of 2021! For me, this book is a true Odyssey experienced both by the main characters and the readers. I just picked this book up on a whim, vaguely interested in the Greek mythology reference mentioned in the title. However, this book doesn’t just borrow from Greek mythology - it transposes it into the modern world with its luminous narrative and incisive commentary on women and marginalisation in the orchestra industry and the world in general. If you feel alienated, y ...more
Yorgos
May 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
After finishing the book, I went back and re-read it, appreciating the details more the second time around.

A coming of age story for adults. Three years prior, Ariadne Pappathanos, was a pianist, a cellist, a conductor and a wife. She’s none of those things anymore. Now, even the sound of music triggers in her panic attacks. At the peak of the Greek crisis and the 37-year-old lives a quiet, solitary life, working at a mundane office job that pays her enough to support her estranged family livin
AFRODITI A.
May 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Ariadne & Dionysus was a much needed escape for me. I love books that take me to places I’ve always wanted to travel to. I’ve always loved stories inspired by myths and fairy tales. I hope this isn’t a spoiler, but this great story doesn’t just hint to Greek myths. I recognized elements from numerous classic fairy tales in it. Given the obvious importance Stamatia Karampini places upon details in her writing, I’m sure it’s no coincidence. What Margaret Atwood did with the Little Red Riding Hood ...more
Michael Fine
May 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Stamatia Karampini writes beautifully and from deep experience: a professional conductor who dares to tell some of the less pleasant truths about the music business through the eyes of a young talented conductor and an older musician who no longer wants to play the game. Both are idealists who have been beaten down by the business' focus on shallow success rather than the high, nearly unattainable peaks of immortal art to which both strive to reach as artists and as human beings. It brings them, ...more
Taya Chastain
May 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I will begin by saying I know nothing about the music world except what I saw in the movie Rocketman. And I know even less about conducting an orchestra. I really never gave it much thought until I read this book. Imagine my surprise when I found myself truly enjoying it! There is so much passion to this story. It is obvious that the author knows the industry well. I don’t know that I’ve ever rooted for a character in a book as I did for Ariadne. I am anxious to know the rest of the story.
I tho
Arttform
May 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Quite literally a page turner ! This book had me by the collar from beginning to end. I have not read anything like this in a very long time. Highly recommend.
Orestis Geniatakis
May 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“Her skin was covered in nature’s brightly-printed fabric, the forest’s pulse synchronized with hers. It entered her every pore. This wasn’t a walk in the woods; it was a transfusion. She only left when the fog started to roll out. Exiting the forest, she witnessed an impetuous wind swirling up a mound of vibrant, amber foliage. She bristled in relief at the thought of her own threadbare existence drifting into nature’s autumnal whirl of polychrome oblivion.”
Artemis Melios
May 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“A vocation-“amputee” can still sense the presence of the missing dream.”
I was sent a free copy of ARIADNE & DIONYSUS. What an unexpected pleasure this read was! I've never "listened" using only my "reading eyes" before. I need to come back and edit/ add to this review once I've digested this beauty. For now, I'm smiling and crying at the same time.
Athanasios
Outstanding. A novel worth to read. Deep emotions to relate with and a story that travels you to beautiful places.Read it twice. U ll be surprised the things u ll discover the second time. 😉
Georgios Exarchakis
May 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The book offers a very vivid description of the life of a Greek immigrant who is a very talented musician. It's playfully written and accurately goes through much of the life of a European young adult exploring the continent. I definitely recommend it for your collection.
Wenneke Savenije
May 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Ariadne & Dionysus

Greek conductor Stamatia Karampini writes compelling debut novel

June 2018 I heard the Greek conductor Stamatia Karampini conduct for the first time in Dublin. She toured England and Ireland, where she conducted exciting performances of Strauss's Overture Die Fledermaus and Bruch's Violin Concerto. Karampini turned out to be a very convincing, expressive and charismatic conductor. We will be hearing a lot more from this spirited lady, I decided during that concert…
But the pandem
Julian S.
May 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I had the opportunity to get an early copy of this and, foolishly, I kept postponing reading it—no idea why. Possibly, because I never thought of myself as a classical music enthusiast, and I knew that the story( loosely based on the homonymous Greek myth) is set against the background of the music industry. This book caught me by surprise. It wasn’t at all what I expected. I also liked that for once, the protagonist is not a beauty in her 20s.
The writing and narrative style is unique and evolvi
Dakota