Start by marking “The Bone Spindle (The Bone Spindle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bone Spindle (The Bone Spindle, #1)

The Bone Spindle

(The Bone Spindle #1)

Sleeping Beauty meets Indiana Jones in this thrilling fairytale retelling for fans of Sorcery of Thorns and All the Stars and Teeth.

Fi is a bookish treasure hunter with a knack for ruins and riddles, who definitely doesn't believe in true love.

Shane is a tough-as-dirt girl warrior from the north who likes cracking skulls, pretty girls, and doing things her own way.

Bria
Expected publication: January 11th 2022 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Bone Spindle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bone Spindle

Start your review of The Bone Spindle (The Bone Spindle, #1)
human
*crying* because omg wtf this sounds too good to be real
rachel ☾
17-year-old treasure hunter Fi considers the curse ancient history—until she pricks her finger on a bone spindle and comes face to face with the mysterious spirit of Prince Briar Rose. Shane is an axe-wielding huntswoman perpetually on the run from trouble. She partners with Fi for the score of a lifetime but gets a lot more than she bargained for when she finds herself dragged along on the dangerous quest and falling hard for a mysterious girl in red.

✔ Gender-flipped Sleeping Beauty x India
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
Apr 01, 2021 marked it as to-read
Shelves: lgbtqiap, retellings
Genderflipped Sleeping Beauty x Indiana Jones with ruins, riddles, battle axes, cursed princes, m/f & f/f love, and snark.
I'm a simple lady: give me all the genderflipped retellings, especially if sapphic.
♠ TABI⁷₈⁷ ♠
May 20, 2021 marked it as to-read
this sounds like it has everything I want in stories and I hope it delivers all of that
Suzanne
Jul 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an ARC of "The Bone Spindle", and hold onto your hats, people, because THIS is what fun, engaging, get-under-your-skin-and-stay-there writing is.

If you like fairytale retellings, gender-bends, twisted tropes, and spellbinding world building; if you like strong characters and intelligent narration; if you like to pick up a book and find yourself unable to put it down until it's finished, "The Bone Spindle" is for you.

There's a little bit for everyone in "The Bone Spind
Claire Gault
May 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Bone Spindle opened my eyes to what the best of the YA genre can look like. I was absolutely blown away. The building of Fi and Shane’s friendship was one of my favorite aspects of the novel, and I adored the unspoken love between the two as they navigate their journey together as well as their own pursuits (Fi’s romance has my whole heart). I really appreciated the creative plot twists around every corner, as well as the thoughtful incorporation of different sexual identities and flipped ge ...more
Jennica Dotson
Apr 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of this book, and am thrilled to announce that it lives up to all the amazing promises of its description!

The Bone Spindle is everything I could want in a YA fantasy: Two female leads who are distinct, complex, and wonderfully likable. Strong fantasy aesthetics. Gender role reversals. Casual queerness. (Casual. Queerness. Seriously, it's even worked into the worldbuilding. Amazing.)

Perhaps my favorite thing is the book's focus on friendship. The partnership b
Natalie
Apr 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was so lucky to get an ARC of The Bone Spindle and can't wait until it hits shelves for all readers. I don't read much YA fantasy, but Vedder's debut blew me away. It makes use of some of the best fantasy tropes without being cliched, and the found family in The Bone Spindle is to die for. The dual POV lets you into the worlds of two incredible heroines, Fi and Shane, and I'm not sure whom I love more. They are such realistic characters, defying their stereotypes (the angry, fighting one, for ...more
Alita
Jun 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
(I received an ARC of this book)

I had a good time with this. In my opinion, the best scenes were the treasure hunting ones; I'd actually love to know if the author played D&D because a few of these sequences very much reminded me of the game -- complete with some nat 1s.

My favorite part about this was the world-building. The way magic works in this book really appealed to me. It's powerful but not in a deus-ex-machina, solve-everything-with-magic way, and all the different branches and Orders l
Sarah Palaich Heffern
Jun 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-damn-good-time
I was lucky enough to read an early e-galley of The Bone Spindle. I was blown away by the entertaining adventure I went on reading this book. It had a little bit of everything I love: romance, fiery young women, fantastical magic, gripping plot twists and darn good banter. I appreciated the fluidity of the writing and immersive nature of the story telling. I can't wait to read the next installment! Highly recommended. ...more
Kyle
Jun 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I had an absolute blast following two amazing, spunky, strong, witty, characters through the adventure to save a sleeping prince and a kingdom under attack! Filled with treasure, magic, friendship and a little love I never wanted to leave this world that Leslie Vedder created in the Bone Spindle. With some rope-swinging Indiana Jones and just the right amount of fairy tale spice, there’s something for everyone and definitely a tale not to miss. 1000% recommend!
Michelle Dotter
Apr 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya-fantasy
I was lucky enough to be an early reader for The Bone Spindle, and it absolutely blows me away. A very new reimagining of Sleeping Beauty, the two girl treasure hunting partner MCs are by far my favorite part. Fi, the brains, and Shane, the brawn, have the perfect reluctant-partners vibe, and they make me laugh out loud every time I reread it. All I can say to summarize them is they're like young female Indiana Jones meets young Xena, and I had no idea what an explosive combo that would be.

Lots
Lillie Lainoff
Apr 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fellow-22-debuts
INDIANA JONES meets the TV show ONCE UPON A TIME in Leslie Vedder's THE BONE SPINDLE: an unforgettable, fast-paced, heart-pounding debut novel. I was lucky enough to read an early version of this book and was immediately drawn in by Vedder's world building, reclamation of fairy tales and the lessons they originally sought to teach us, and descriptive prose. A perfect blend of fantasy, adventure, mystery, and romance.
Ahrell
Arianne
Ann

• One Plus One
  • Spare Room
  • Marshmallow Pie The Cat Superstar (Marshmallow Pie the Cat Superstar, Book 1)
  • Breathless
  • Restless Hearts (Katy Keene, Novel #1)
  • Wayfarer (Passenger, #2)
  • A Magic Steeped in Poison (The Book of Tea, #1)
  • This Vicious Grace (The Last Finestra, #1)
  • Required Reading for the Disenfranchised Freshman
  • Daughter of the Moon Goddess (The Celestial Kingdom Duology, #1)
  • Wake the Bones
  • One for All
  • You Had Me at Hello World
  • This Is Why They Hate Us
  • A Comb of Wishes
  • Hana Hsu and the Ghost Crab Nation
  • The Candy Caper (Trouble at Table 5, #1)
  • Upside-Down Magic (Upside-Down Magic, #1)
See top shelves…
Leslie Vedder (she/her) is a queer ace author who loves fairytale retellings with girl adventurers and heroes! Her debut YA novel THE BONE SPINDLE is forthcoming in January 2022 from Penguin / Putnam Young Readers. She lives in Colorado with her girlfriend and two spoiled house cats! You can find her at leslievedder.com.

The Bone Spindle (2 books)
  • Untitled (The Bone Spindle, #2)