Start by marking “That Weekend” as Want to Read:
That Weekend

That Weekend

*Running Time => 10 hrs.*

Three best friends, a lake house, a secret trip - what could go wrong?

It was supposed to be the perfect prom weekend getaway. But it's clear something terrible happened when Claire wakes up alone and bloodied on a hiking trail with no memory of the past forty-eight hours.

Three went up the mountain, but only one came back.

Now everyone wants answers
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 10 pages
Expected publication: June 29th 2021 by Listening Library

To ask other readers questions about That Weekend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Weekend

Start your review of That Weekend
Chelsea Humphrey
"... I've seen people wait years to find out what happened to their loved ones, and when they finally do, the answers aren't enough. The emptiness is still there. Sometimes it's even worse."

Wow. This book is stunning like the glimmer of a slick, sharpened knife. The twists and turns are solid, but the characterization and journey that we go on while reading this book is pretty epic, something I don't typically feel while reading a YA mystery novel. Kara has always had a way with words, and her p
Mischenko
May 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Claire is alone on a mountain after waking up with no memory. The last thing she can recall is being at her friend’s family lakehouse for the weekend with Kat and Kat's boyfriend, Jesse. They planned a little secret, weekend getaway that nobody knew about but them. How could she have wound up like this in the woods by herself with blood all over her hands? Better yet, where are her missing friends now? Are they dead?

I wasn’t sure what to expect with this book, but after reading the blurb, it wa
megs_bookrack
Any book that has a synopsis asking, what could go wrong , in the opening sentence, is a book that I need to read.

Absolute bonus that it's from Kara Thomas. She's amazing.
Erin A. Craig
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No words at present.

They’ll come later.

Once I stop screaming.

Oh my gosh, I loved this.
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
MORE KARA THOMAS!!!!!

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Laurie Flynn
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kara Thomas is one of my favorite authors of YA fiction and I love her dark, twisty stories. THAT WEEKEND, with its creepy premise and mountain setting, is totally my catnip, so I went in with very high expectations. I'm pleased to say they were totally blown away! I don't want to say much more because this is the kind of story you should go into knowing as little as possible. But it's thrilling, captivating, unpredictable (still reeling over those twists!!!) and will consume your life until you ...more
Kathleen Glasgow
Another excellent novel from Kara Thomas! Breakneck narrative and pacing, red herrings galore, and a plot twist that bowled me over.
Brooke
May 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Claire, Kat, and Jesse are friends in their senior year of high school. They decide that instead of going to prom, they will sneak off to Kat’s family’s lake house in Sunfish Creek. They decide not to tell their parents they are going to the lake house because, well, they are teenagers and honestly, what could possibly go wrong?

Claire wakes up with a horrible headache, disoriented, in the middle of Bobcat Mountain with a woman standing over her. How did she get here? Where, exactly, is she? Whe
Christy
May 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My head has exploded. This is Kara’s best yet and she has wrecked me!!!
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
Well, that was one of the best books I've ever read. I've been sitting here for the last fifteen minutes, brain empty, mouth agape. Review to come if I ever am able to write anything more than "DAFVHJDFSHNBAVAVK PLEASE READ THIS BOOK". I'm literally speechless.

I WON A SIGNED AND ANNOTATED ARC FROM KARA IN A GIVEAWAY AND I AM CRYING! Have you seen the teaser trailer & reveal on twitter yet?!?!

I won an annotated arc from the author on Twitter (but have a finished copy pre-ordered). This has not af
Kit Frick
Kara Thomas is ruthless. When you descend into That Weekend, prepare for darkness ahead, breakneck turns, and shivery secrets. I am still reeling.
Gina Adams
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for an early copy.

The first thought I have is simply: dang.
This book was really a wild ride. There’s like, basically nothing I can say that isn’t a spoiler, but it definitely took turns I wasn’t expecting. Were one or two of them gratuitous? Meh, maybe lol. But it was the stay up all night, read in one sitting, forget about the stuff that’s bothering you kind of ride that I’m really grateful for right now.

We begin with our sweet friend Claire waking up in
Erin
Jun 09, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-books, 2021-blog
2 Stars

Note: I was provided with an ARC by the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions here are my own.

I didn't like it. YA Thrillers have been really hit or miss this year, for sure, and this one was a miss. I liked some of the threads Kara Thomas was playing with, but they ultimately didn't come in to create any sort of compelling picture. Not for me, anyway

The pacing felt off--which is a major problem in thrillers. Pacing is key.

The narrative voice read re
Jeddidiah Namiah Parico
”But I do know that I’ve seen people wait years to find out what happened to their loved ones, and when they finally do, the answers aren’t enough. The emptiness is still there. Sometimes it’s even worse.”

It has been ages since I last reviewed a book and it feels like I don’t know how to do these things anymore! *insert laughing/crying emoji here*

Anyway, I really have enjoyed reading this book by Kara Thomas, and so far, this is my top favorite from all of her books. It gets better and bett
Stacey Kade
SO GOOD. Twisted and dark but utterly un-put-down-able. Put it on your TBR list today.
Barbara Schultz
3.6 rounded up 4 stars!
I know I am not the target audience for this YA/Teen story.
As a high school guidance counselor, I loved to read Teen/YA stories, always fun to mention a book I read that my students might like.
I sometimes get discouraged as a lot of my reads seemed to be formula driven: Sex, drugs, suicide, bulling, and of course a lot of foul language.
I still am still hopeful and a sucker for a good YA story!
In this story Clare and several of her close friends decide not to go to the
Inah (Fueled By Chapters)
Y’ALL WHEN I SAY KARA THOMAS NEVER MISSES, SHE NEVER MISSES

----
Content Warnings : Death, Domestic abuse, child abuse, Alcoholism, Violence, Incest, Suicidal thoughts

It’s getting really hard for me to form my thoughts on this. I feel like Kara and I are one-upping each other every time she writes a new book. To be honest, I’m not winning! I’m always left in awe and slack-jawed every time I finish.

As for That Weekend, I went in totally blind except for the synopsis. I believe that’s the best way
blondethrillerbooklover
Claire and her two best friends, Kat and Jessie, go camping on prom weekend, rather than to the dance.

Claire is found unconscious, hurt and alone with no memory of what happened.

Kat and Jessie are nowhere to be found.

What happened? 👀
_________________________________

I loved the way this story was put together. It’s told in both past and present and also changes POVs later in the story.

With great character development and a steadily moving plot, it kept me entertained and guessing the entire time.
Sandy O'Brien
May 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kat and her two friends go camping the night of prom but only Kat come home.

Kat is found by some hikers off the beaten trail. She has sustained a head injury and cannot remember anything that haz happened in the last 36 hours but finds out that both her friends are missing.

This is a twisted crazy tale of the links people will go to in order to get away from abuse.

A twisted 4.5/5⭐️
Alyssa Thomas
ohhhh creepy cover! I like it!!

------------------------------------
Kara Thomas is one of my favorite YA authors and I'm so excited that there is finally info about a new book from her! June can't come fast enough.
Misty
Mar 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of Little Monsters at YALLfest in Charleston, SC a few years ago, and I absolutely fell in love with Kara Thomas’ writing. I have consumed every book of hers. Waiting until July, when That Weekend is released was going to absolutely impossible. I literally squealed when I got the email from NetGalley that I was getting an early copy.

I immediately downloaded and started reading. I devoured the book in less than 24 hours. I’m still in shock how the story unfolded. Thomas is the
Jayme Dunn
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!
The plot twist queen is BACK. One of the biggest reasons that I love Kara Thomas’ writing so much is because of her ability to surprise. When you think you know how the book ends, she throws twist after twist at you - forbidding her reader from guessing at her true intentions. I love this about her books.

With the mountain setting and the attempt to unravel forgotten events that led to the disappearances of Claire’s friends, I felt like I was involved in an episode of Dateline or 48 Ho
Hillary
I get so annoyed when something happens in the last 2% of the book that changes the way I perceive everything prior. So. Here we are.
Nannette Demmler
ARC provided by Random House Children’s via NetGalley for an honest review.

This is another well done YA suspense thriller that will keep you guessing to the very end and then will smack you in the face with a surprise that you will not see coming. If you have enjoyed this author’s previous works then you will definitely want to get your hands on this one.

Claire is an amazing young woman. She is pretty smart, although can be a bit naive at times. She is also resilient and will do what she needs t
ElphaReads
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an eARC of this novel!

While I have many authors that I really like, there are only a few that have been consistently good to great for me. One of those authors is Kara Thomas, as all of her books have really clicked with my thriller and mystery loving sensibilities. So I was absolutely eager to read THAT WEEKEND, her newest YA thriller. Whenever I read a book by an author who has a streak, in the back of my mind I worry that maybe this will be the end
Inscribed Inklings
That weekend by Kara Thomas 📚

Check out the review on my blog- https://inscribedinklings.wordpress.c...

Thanks for the digital ARC @prhinternational #partner, Kara Thomas and Netgalley.

That Weekend was a pretty engaging YA thriller. Right from the opening chapter of the book, the story was so exciting. It had so many plot twists and crazy revelations. I didn't expect the ultimate ending either. The book had multiple POVs and it was basically divided into 2 halves. One half narrated be Claire and
Jenni
May 29, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Brittany S.
A very enjoyable read! I liked the beginning a bit more and the vibe was more reminiscent of a lot of adult thrillers. The second half lost some steam for me despite all of the reveals and there was one twist I really didn’t like (and never, ever do). The second half of the book felt like it gave too much away and I would have loved to keep the suspense of Claire’s POV going rather than switching to a new one.
Sara Ellison
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Check your trigger warnings everybody, because this one has some dark twists.

Claire is a high school senior on a weekend camping trip with her two best friends when she wakes up alone on the side of the mountain, with a not-insignificant head injury and no memory of an entire day. Her friends Jesse and Kat have vanished without a trace.

I loved this one. The story was unexpected without being unbelievable, the pacing was perfect, and we actually spend time with Claire and the trauma of what has
t
Feb 17, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received a free ARC on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Ah..this was going so well until the ending, and now I'm annoyed and incredibly unsatisfied. The ending(s?) was so out of left field, I can't even deign to call it a plot twist--and I called what happened to the friends from the very beginning. If Kara Thomas had just honored the story she was trying to tell, I might've rated this higher. Unfortunately, it seemed in the end, she was trying
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kara is the author of The Darkest Corners, Little Monsters, and The Cheerleaders. She is also the author of the Prep School Confidential series from St. Martin's Griffin under the pen name Kara Taylor.

Kara has written for Warner Brothers Television and currently writes full-time on Long Island, where she lives with her husband and rescue cat.

• The Ivies
  • The Initial Insult (The Initial Insult, #1)
  • Survive the Night
  • The Box in the Woods (Truly Devious #4)
  • The Mary Shelley Club
  • Instructions for Dancing
  • Don't Tell a Soul
  • The Project
  • Small Favors
  • A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1)
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • The Disappearing Act