Start by marking “One Tattered Angel: A Touching True Story of the Power of Love” as Want to Read:
One Tattered Angel: A Touching True Story of the Power of Love

One Tattered Angel: A Touching True Story of the Power of Love

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  858 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
Book by Yorgason, Blaine M.
Published May 1st 2003 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about One Tattered Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Tattered Angel

Grandma
Jun 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
One Tattered Angel is a remarkable story of the power of love to reach beyond physical limitations. This is a touching, true story about the "angel" Blaine and his wife Kathy adopted in 1988. Born with hydraencephaly -- only a brain stem and cerebrospinal fluid -- Charity changed the lives of their entire family. Blaine Yorgason describes the immense difficulties and even greater joys of raising Charity along with their six children. In a home filled with love and compassion, Charity outlived he ...more
Jorgina
Aug 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Cried all the way through the book.. of course I was an emotional wreck at the time. This true story of a girl born with no more than a brain stem and lived to the age of 8 is soooo amazing in how it changed her family for the good, no, great. This girl was in the hospital during her last days the same time my daughter was at Primary Children's hospital fighting her own life threatening car accident recovery. Wish I could have met her and the family.
Thelma
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
this is a story of family, sacrifice, endurance and most of all love. it is the true story of a family that adopts a baby born without a brain, she had only a brain stem. she was expected to live only a year or two, but lived many years beyond two. it is about the lessons this little tattered angle named charity taught her family and those around her.
Amy
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
After hearing Blaine and his wife speak about their experience with their adopted daughter Charity, who was born without a brain, I HAD to read this book!
I did not know then how much their story would motivate or encourage me in the future, but I think about their strength and knowledge of who this sweet spirit was often. It is a strength I draw on regularly with our situation!
Denise
Mar 28, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a good book, but I thought the story was a little too personal to share. The parents are amazing. I would not have the courage and dedication they did to take care of such a sick little angel. It is a remarkable story of faith. I would be interested to see whatever happened to Charity.
Feb 05, 2008 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was fun to read all the touching stories surrounding one girl who was born with a severe birth defect. It just shows that everyone has a purpose and that everyone can make a difference.
Princess
Feb 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
My family is going through a difficult time as we prepare for the arrival of a baby that will have a severe heart defect. This book was such a comfort to me and a way to look for the positives in any given situation. But you'll want to make sure that you have tissues handy!
Katie
Jun 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most powerful true stories I've ever read. It's a simple short read, but extremely moving. I've read it countless times and I know that you'll want to as well.
Tabitha
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an amazing story! This book was written by my mother-in-law's cousin, and when I saw it in her house, I asked her what it was about. After she told me it was about her cousin's family that had adopted a little girl who was born without a brain, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I had to read that book! The next time I was there I asked to borrow it and I read it that night. There are so many profound spiritual nuggets in there that really caused me to think hard about why some people ...more
Cindy
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Putting it on the to-read list as it is a book club choice. Although, looking at a few of the synopses, I'm afraid it's going to rip my heart out. Hope I can handle this.

Well, I got through it better than I thought I would. This book gave some interesting insights on raising a special needs child. At times I felt a little ashamed, wondering if I cope worthily enough with my own angel. Yorgason truly adores it wife. The way he describes her, it's a wonder she hasn't been translated.

There were som
Jeni
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
What an amazing story of love and faith and devotion! Blaine and Kathy adopted a special needs infant born with hydraencephaly -- only a brain stem and cerebrospinal fluid. Where "science" entitled her basically lifeless and brain dead, Blaine goes on to describe the beauty and love and LIFE their little daughter Charity exhibited and the many wonderful ways Charity touched their lives. I was very moved and inspired by their great faith and complete reliance on the Lord as they raised this daugh ...more
Shaina
Dec 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I read the whole book today! This book is amazing I recommend it to everyone! It was so touching I cried. It's a true story about a little girl named Charity (a baby) suffering through a lot...how she came to be in their lives, what they learned through it all...etc. It's incredible. I rated it a five because of the ending chapters. All the other chapters are leading up to those ending chapters...to make it all worthwhile and touching! The Spirit really touched me. This is a MUST-READ and p ...more
Megarah Mae
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!!!!
Recommended to Megarah by: Lucy Yorgason
Shelves: favorites
This book is a heart warming, tear jerking story of a little girl who became a miracle in the lives of Lucy and Blaine Yorgason. A baby girl, born without a brain.... only the stem, which you can only survive on for a few months, yet miraculously survived for approximately 10 years. this book is an inspiration to all of the world what the true meaning of love is. you need to genuinely care about the person and grow to know them. as they grew to know charity, she blessed them and they grew to lov ...more
Kiersten
May 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! It was a nice, quick read. It is an amazing, inspiring story! I thought it was really uplifting even though it was a sad story. I will admit I choked up a few times and finally lost it at the end of the book. I would definitely recommend this book. Especially for the times that you wonder why children have to endure such physical pain at times in this life. It gave me a new perspective on why certain things happen in this life that don't seem fair.
Karen
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: The world! We need more inspiring stories that help us see eternity.
Recommended to Karen by: Picked it up at a garage sale, I think.
I LOVED this little book. It has such a portrayal of glimpses into eternity. How we look back and see God's hand, how we look into a child's eyes and see his hand, and how he can communicate his love and will to us.

Great story...but get out your tissues. You are going to need them for this one!
LeeAnn Taylor
Sep 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This story is a rare and beautiful look into the power of love and the worth of souls. My favorite chapter, favorite part of the entire book, is the chapter entitled "The Dishwasher." It's absolutely magical and deeply inspiring. I recommend this book for anyone who is looking to feel a deeper level of love and diving presence in their lives.
Kathryn
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Oh my, if you want to cry, read this book. I had tears streaming down almost the entire time. It's the true story about a little girl who was born without a brain, but the power of her spirit touched everybody around her.
Erika
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Yeah. Tearjerker book. LOVED it, absolutely LOVED it, though I was crying through most of the book. This is definitely a book you leave inspired by. Highly recommended on my part, if you don't mind cryin' your eyes out.
Brandi
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazingly touching, spirit-filled book. I couldn't put it down. I cried and my heart broke with theirs. It's a story of faith, hope, and Charity. I highly recommend it, and what better time than Christmas to read it!
Michelle
May 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A true story about Blaine & Kathy's adopted baby girl's excruciatingly painful life from birth and how through faith, hope and love of Christ, they are able to turn this experience into a blessing. A must read.
Marlene
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of my favorite Christmas books. I read it to Gary on our way to St. George. We both had to shed a few tears.
Diana
Apr 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A sweet story about an angel on earth. I can't believe she lived almost 8 years without a brain. Her sweet spirit touched so many lives, especially her families.
Kristel
Dec 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Grew up with Blaine's daughter Michelle. This is a story about their daughter with special needs - amazing story, amazing girl, amazing family - great for Christmas
Princess
Oct 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book was the most touching book. i cried. alot. it strengthened my testimony in god, and the miracles of prayer.
Susan
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My friend recommeded the book & I read her copy. I was so touched by it, that bought it on tape. When Charity died, I kept the obit that I cut from the Tribune.
Connie
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I read it my first year at BYU and needed a whole box of Kleenex but it was very worth it.
Delirious
Jan 24, 2009 rated it liked it
This is an easy read, it's a relatively short book. I would recommend this to anyone who has a child with a disability.
Kathleen
Mar 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
A highly emotional, tender, true story. Filled with spiritual manifestations and love. A quick read, an excellent reminder of the worth of a soul.
Pine nut
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
this book was amazing! It was amazing! It was sad, but it taught you how important it is to have faith. I fell honored just to have read it!
Shaunee
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I didn't want to read this book at first because i really did'nt want to feel sad, but this book was very uplifting.
  • The Burning Within
  • Why?: Powerful Answers and Practical Reasons for Living LDS Standards
  • Mary, Martha, And Me:  Seeking the One Thing That Is Needful
  • Way to Be!: 9 Rules For Living the Good Life
  • Mafia to Mormon: My Conversion Story
Blaine M. Yorgason was born in Sanpete County, Utah. He attended Brigham Young University and received both a BA and MA in History. Blaine and his wife Kathleen have 7 children and numerous grandchildren.
More about Blaine M. Yorgason...