Start by marking “Finding God in Anime: A Devotional for Otakus” as Want to Read:
Finding God in Anime: A Devotional for Otakus

Finding God in Anime: A Devotional for Otakus

Being a Christian can be tough. Being an otaku can be tough. But being both at once?

Sometimes it seems easier to become Hokage rather than explaining your faith and passions to others. That is why we otaku have united in this devotional: To encourage otaku like you spiritually and through a medium we all cherish.

In this devotional, you will find God in the animes you know
Kindle Edition
Published May 11th 2021

To ask other readers questions about Finding God in Anime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding God in Anime

Start your review of Finding God in Anime: A Devotional for Otakus
Nicole Dust
Jun 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anime-manga
You're probably not supposed to read a devotional in one day, but I did anyways despite my best intentions. XD

I really, really enjoyed this devotional! It's inspiring to me how we can find the Gospel in all sorts of mediums, including anime. I laughed, I cried, I took heart from this collection.
Laura Grace
May 25, 2021 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hey there! I'm not leaving a review exactly, but wanted to share I was one of the organizers for this and have two pieces in this anthology.

If you have ever desired to have a devotional where your love for Jesus and anime meet, then this devotional is for you! As an otaku myself, I found all these pieces deeply inspiring and have read this more than once on my personal time because it spoke to my heart.

Each piece is Jesus centered and has a variety of epic anime such as Haikyu!!, My Hero Academ
S. J.  Barnard
Jun 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
First off, how cool is it that you get your devotions done and spend time reminiscing about your favourite manga & anime?? I spent this week and the last reading from FGiA, and it has been a blast…and let me explain why you should be using this devotional as well.

Reason #1: My mum and I have recently reached the conclusion that it’s impossible not to see biblical themes reciprocated in certain manga/anime, starting from Ghibli and extending to AoT, TPN, &c. We often spend time discussing aspect
Nathaniel
May 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Okay, let's just take a moment to reflect on this book.
...
Moment over. I'm still not quite feeling ready to write this review but that's fine. Some things are better done without a lot of planning. SO... an anime devotional. If you asked me what types books I did not plan to ever read, this would be one of them, but here I am with a five star review.
Anime is not a big part of my life. Aside from Studio Ghibli (which some people hardly qualify as anime), I have never watched any. I don't know wh
Matt Starr
May 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
First Devo In Years

I give my disclaimer as the title because I’m not a regular consumer of Christian devotionals.
I was curious and excited, though more curious, as I saw this coming together and finally being released.

And I’m glad it finally came! I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks that Japanese entertainment is underutilized as a starting point for discussion.
Angela Watts
May 25, 2021 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I was honored to be a part of this collection of devotionals! I have 3 pieces in this book and each is so, so dear to my heart. Nonfiction is tricky to write but oh, so worth it.

I hope you pick up a copy of this book if you like fast, poignant, encouraging devotionals AND anime/manga!
Piper Bee
Jun 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
This devotional book is a short read with a consistent message: God can be found in anything bearing the beauty of truth. The enjoyment of stories is uniquely human, and one of the most powerful pieces of literature in the world is a big book full of them. But even deviating from the Bible, it's obvious that the creative world is filled with beauty, intrigue, and meaning.

What I loved about this devotional was the commitment of each contributor to find the buried truths in manga and anime. Even i
Amy Lynn
May 26, 2021 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I am proud to be a contributing author of this devotional. I wrote three pieces on how "Sailor Moon" grew my faith and encouraged my walk with the Lord. "Finding God in Anime" is a much needed resource to connect with another generation of Otakus growing up in a Christian community that may not understand or may be hostile to their love of anime. I would not be the strong Christian I am today without the encouraging influence of anime and Japanese culture. Though mainstream Asian culture may be ...more
C.O. Bonham
May 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
God can speak through anything, even anime.

Finding God in Anime is a multi-author collection of devotions centered around popular anime franchises such as My Hero Academia, Sailor moon, and Naruto. Each devotion analyses its chosen anime and picks out a theme that illustrates a scripture.

Like all such pop culture devotions it isn't to try to say that anime is Christian, but rather that God can speak to his followers through an medium he wishes. Even those weird Japanese cartoons.

I highly recomme
Nick Cincotta
Miranda
Sarah Ashwood
H.S.J. Williams
May 25, 2021 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
The Lazy Reader
Liv
Sierra I.
Kayla E.  Green
Teddi Deppner
May 25, 2021 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Michelle Bruhn
May 25, 2021
Laura A. Grace had a lifelong dream of getting to know authors behind the covers of her favorite reads. Little did she know that one day she would become one in the most unexpected way: a manga creator! She has since published Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl, Team Lines: A Poetry Collection, and her debut manga, Gathering Faith, which will be releasing Fall 2021. A Tokyo enthusiast and ...more

News & Interviews