Start by marking “The Digital Photography Book (Volume 3)” as Want to Read:
The Digital Photography Book (Volume 3)

The Digital Photography Book (The Digital Photography Book: The Step-By-Step Secrets for How to Make Your Photos Look Like the Pros! #3)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  1,523 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Scott Kelby, author of The Digital Photography Book, volume 1 (the world's best-selling digital photography book of all time), is back with a follow-up to his volume 2 smash best seller, with an entirely new book that picks up right where he left off. It's even more of that "Ah ha--so that's how they do it," straight-to-the-point, skip-the-techno-jargon stuff you can reall ...more
Published July 31st 2009 by Peachpit Press (first published April 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Digital Photography Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Digital Photography Book

Stephen Kennedy
Aug 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperbacks
Although this book is indicated as being Volume 3, it is not a 3rd edition of the book and like Volume 2 is a continuation of tricks and tips.
Where I found that the Volume 1 book was excellent for beginners, Volume 2 was more geared towards more advanced photography skills and studio and portrait shooting.
Volume 3 I found was actually also a good book for new photographers as well. While a beginner can read all books in the series I feel that Volume s 1 and 3 have more to offer them.
Again this
عبد القباني
مترجم الكتاب للعربية يستحق عشر نجمات !!
Suzanne (The Bookish Libra)
A good reference book from Scott Kelby as always, but I'm starting to wish that his volumes were broken down into categories - one for nature, one for portraits, one for sports, etc - rather than giving a smattering of each in each volume. I have no interest in portrait or sports photography, so I feel like I'm just breezing past those whole chapters and am left wanting more of the categories that I am interested in. Even though I still found some helpful hints in this book, I will probably skip ...more
Scooping it Up
Oct 24, 2009 rated it liked it
I got so much more out of this book after some experience with SLR photography than I would have several years ago. Lots of stuff I know, but some interesting perspective on things I hadn't considered or had experience with, and good reminders. Some might not enjoy his tone but I don't mind it. Definitely a good resource for pro-ish photographers.
Mashail Alhodaibi
اسلوب سكوت شيق ورائع
ويحمل الكتاب معلومات مهمة ومفيدة لكل مصور
انصح بقرائته
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a lot like volume 2. Instead of teaching you to take pictures like professionals, it seems more geared to you becoming a professional photographer. (Lots of more expensive studio equipment). Still has good tips mixed in without needing expensive equipment. I think I would recommend the first three in that order. 1 is best, then 2, then the third one.
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
I have read all three of Scott Kelby's photography books in this series and I have learned many lessons that have served me well.

The first book is the most helpful for beginners and volume two goes into more detail for more advanced photographers and this volume, number three, seems to be a mixture of both.

Written in easy to read one page tips with all the details of how a picture was taken, it is a book that is worth looking at over and over again. This book also contains lots of information on
Wafa Suwaileh
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
قرأتها لمعرفة أساسيات التصوير فقط بالطبع لن أسلك تلك المهنة لكن لإلتقاط صور جيدة بالرحلات ومع العائلة وما الى ذلك.

إشتريتها هذا الشهر وأنهيتها في نفس الشهر كانت تلك أحدى كتب "أنت وأنا في الخارج من أجل التقاط الصور "(1) على حد وصف الكاتب بالطبع أخذت فائدة عظيمة منه وأستطيع ان ارى درجة التحسن في ذلك المجال ولله الحمد ولكن اذا كنت تريد التعمق أكثر انصحك بكتب تعلم الأساسيات لتكون على معرفة أوسع .

وايضاً يتمتع الكاتب بحس فكاهي الى حدٍ ما, راقَ لي ذلك :)
Mar 13, 2010 marked it as photography
A good book for novice photographers to pick up some simple tips for improving photos. A lot of the tips I've read before, but I did get some needed refreshers and did learn a few new things.

The Digital Photography Book, volume 2 has more detail info about portrait photography, among other info.

Volume 3 I've yet to read.
Benedetto Piscitello
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
Yet even more super useful tips and trick for many types of photography (people, sport, products, outdoors). Also gives many explainations about different typse of lenses and when to use them.
Finally it goes even more in depth with off camera flash and studio light. I've got many intresting website, links and products that i might by as soon as i need to ;)
A "must" to read
Douglas Larson
Feb 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: photography
A very nice overview of photographic concepts, practices and equipment. This, volume 3 in the series, is well suited to a beginner to photography but since it contains such a wide variety of topics, it could serve professionals as well. Author Kelby has built a large photography education business offering seminars, photo safaris, online classes as well as these books.
Miguel Ángel Vilela
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Miguel Ángel by: A photo-savvy colleague
Shelves: photography
I liked it because it contains enough useful stuff, but still has plenty of questionable points that make me doubt very much I'll ever read another book from Scott Kelby, or anything at all written by him.
Oh well, he makes his big money writing and I don't, so I'll stop writing right here :P
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
1, 2, 3 - Scott Kelby delivers another great instructional pitch with this volume. Builds on and adds to the previous two volumes. A good reference for the beginner as well as the professional photographer.
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Scott has such a great style of teaching (fun/quirky). This helped me learn more about lighting and specifically off-camera flash. Great read if you are really into photography. The Digital Photography Book, Volumes 1 and 2 would be great if you'd like to begin learning!
Apr 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Photography fans
The third book builds on the ideas and suggestions of #1 and 2. Once again the focus is on studio-work/lightning. It also doles out great travel tips and general tips for any shoot, but the absolute beginner is better of with the first two and saving this book for later.
Mornblade Keltoislave
Dec 26, 2009 is currently reading it
This book is very well laid out and very helpful. Rather than mucking about in the ultra-fine details, this book tells you what you need to know to shoot better photos right now. You can then move on to the finer details later.
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book of his that I have read. I really enjoy his books. He really explains things in a great simplified manner. Off camera flashes and soft boxes are used for a lot of the "how to get this shot" examples.
Apr 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I carry these three books by Scott Kelby around in my camera bag a lot of the time, when I go out looking for things to photograph. The format is conducive to setting tasks or projects for myself, and then following his tips to try and get good results. Very practical.
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read Part 1 to 4 of this series.

Very helpful practical, technical book..

Buy this.. u will learn a lot about studio, portrait, landscape, travel, sports photography practical tips..

For any query mail at / write at
Dennis Willingham
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book, photography, 2013
Good extension of the Kelby series. Nice that it presents information in bite-sized chunks that you can easily put into practice.
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Some good tips...lot's of info that I already knew.
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Good hints and tips if you're nothing looking to get too technical.
Teri Temme
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent tips and tricks. Learned something valuable in each volume.
Oct 19, 2012 marked it as to-read
Some interesting tips in here, but not quite what I was looking for (a good primer for digital photography).
Sridhar R
May 08, 2014 marked it as to-read
i want this book
ليس بجودة الجرأين السابقين.
Edwin Canlapan
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
If you want a straight forward photography book. This is it. It's the best photography book I ever had. All 4 volumes.
Abdullah Altamimi
Oct 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كسابقيه كتاب مباشر ومفيد جدا لا يحتوي الكثير من الحشو اللغوي والتقني المشتت لذلك هو مثالي لمن يريد الوصول السريع للمعلومة
Rashed AlAbdouli
I am interested on the following chapters on this book: using the flash as professionals and the facts about the lenses....I will start reading those chapters then I will continue the others
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good. I picked up a few things.
  • The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes (Voices That Matter)
  • Understanding Shutter Speed: Creative Action and Low-Light Photography Beyond 1/125 Second
  • Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
  • The Negative (Ansel Adams Photography, #2)
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
  • Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites
  • Mastering Digital SLR Photography
  • Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual
  • Digital Photography Masterclass: Advanced Photographic and Image Manipulation Techniques for Creating Perfect Pictures
  • On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
  • Photography
  • John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide
Scott Kelby is an American author and publisher of periodicals dealing in Macintosh and Personal Computer software, specifically for design professionals, photographers, and artists.

Kelby is editor and publisher of Photoshop User and Layers magazines, president and co-founder of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) and is president of Kelby Media Group, an Oldsmar, Florida-ba
More about Scott Kelby...

The Digital Photography Book: The Step-By-Step Secrets for How to Make Your Photos Look Like the Pros! (5 books)
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 1)
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 2)
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 4)
  • The Digital Photography Book, Part 5: Photo Recipes

$7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals-and Other Forgotten Skills
    $15.95 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99