Start by marking “Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family” as Want to Read:

4.52  ·  Rating details ·  1,635 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Promote vibrant health and radiant beauty, soothe everyday ailments, and ease persistent stress with these simple, natural cures for everything from dry skin and infant colic to cold symptoms and insomnia. Renowned herbalist Rosemary Gladstar provides 175 proven therapies and herbal remedies that are easy to prepare and safe enough for children.  Offering a potent and effe ...more
Published September 3rd 2008 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published September 1st 2001)

Be the first to ask a question about Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health

Jaime Lynn
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family, green
This book is an amazing asset to any household - from beginners to experienced herbalists. As a mother, I take very seriously my responsibilty to tend to the health and wellness of my family. I got this book when I was just beginning to learn about herbs and natural health. At first, all of the recipes look a little daunting. But if you just slow down and pick a few to try based on your individual needs, you will see how easy they are to use/make and will gain confidence to try others. With the ...more
Missy
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the herbal that I recommend to folks just starting to explore medicine-making and home remedies. Frankly, it took me a couple of years to truly appreciate just how easy-to-use yet informative Rosemary Gladstar's book is. The instructions on how to make tinctures, salves, and teas are simple; the formulas are fun and elegant; and the materia medica is to-the-point.

My only bone to pick is that Gladstar has a "women's" section -- dominated by aids to alleviate menstrual pain, address cancer
Kate Moffett-Polacci
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just READING this book made me feel good, and gave me wonderful dreams. I'm so inspired to create a million teas and lotions and potions. In fact, I stocked up on supplies at Rosemary's Garden over the weekend to create full-on facials with my friends next week. I feel so lucky to live near the herb store she started here in Sonoma County. Looking forward to exploring all of her recipes.
Olivia
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. It is so incredibly comprehensive on herbs, herbal recipes, herb therapies, and different natural treatments for men, women, children, and the elderly and it also includes sections specifically about stress, everyday ailments and natural beauty regimens.

After reading it cover to cover I was left feeling so inspired in the way Rosemary Gladstar uses and values nature in her daily life.
I have made the shampoo and face lotion/cream recipes. The facial cream I have been using f
Graybird
This book is packed with information about using herbs and lifestyle changes and nutrition to maintain good health and mental balance. Rosemary Gladstar definitely approaches the issue of health from a holistic standpoint that compounds all facets of one's way of living and interacting in order to properly address influencing factors and circumstances.

Many of her recipes are based on using tonics of several herbs as preventive measures, which can be seen as intimidating when she recommends drin
Plateresca
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: herbs
I found this book really inspiring.
I do not follow the recipes precisely, though, partly because, living in Spain, I just don't have the same herbs. I've ordered some seeds, but still, a lot of the plants featured here are American or North American species, so if you live in Europe, it might be hard to get and grow them. By the way, I'd be really grateful if somebody could point out a similar book about more Southern-ish-climate plants.
That said, I think the book makes much more sense for thos
Erica
Oct 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-for-classes
This book was required reading for my degree. Although I am not passionate about herbology, this book was definitely informative, fun to read, and had recipes that seemed easy enough to make at home. Granted, I have not tried any as of yet, I did learn quite a few new things about herbs that I did not know before, as well as natural solutions for hair, skin, and body. When I have some free time, I would be willing to try some of these out!
Amanda
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Packed with good recipes.
Mrsdove
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you want a good herbal book that will help you understand herbs and their medicinal value then this is the book! As a casual studier of herbs for years now this book really helped raise my awareness on how to use herbs for more things that I had hoped for. She does a great job with recipes and advice. She even has pictures of herbs in their natural state so you can see what the flower or plant looks like thus raising awareness in us so that we may recognize those herbs which grow readily in o ...more
Christine
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Amazing book. As a beginner with making my own, homemade remedies, this was a perfect collection of recipes and instruction, complete with color pictures and fabulous reference material. I have a slew of tabs marking favorite recipes using local flora, and I expect this book will get a lot of use in the years to come. I cannot recommend this book highly enough for the beginner, or even the more experienced person looking for a solid addition to their reference material.
Parin Stormlaughter Stormlaughter
I was thrilled to discover that this is the Storey Books printing of Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal which is not easily available any longer.

The potions, lotions, salves, and teas are very effective but much of the medical information that goes with them is simply outdated. Be well-read about what you wish to correct and you'll be well-served by the recipes and procedures in this book.

Thrilled to have it in my hot little hands!
Nikki
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, nonfiction
Love this book! I borrowed it from the library, bought it for all my family for Christmas, and now definitely need my own copy. I tried three of the recipes--lotion, shampoo, and a sore throat tea--and all were amazing. Other herbal remedy books I looked at only said what herbs to use without giving recipes that suggest how to use them, so this was by far my favorite of what I've seen.
Maja Haloway
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: herbal-lore
Easy-to-use guide that has fabulous mix of hebal information, recipes, and personal stories. A good starting point for people just starting out with herbal preparations, and a fun reference book for the more experienced. I have used her basic recipes as starting points to make amazing custom preparations and blends.
Davida Temima
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous go-to for anyone interested in making quick an relatively easy medicines for themselves and their family. As an herbalist, I have quite an extensive collection of recipes and reading material on this subject, and this book remains one of my most prized and most used.
Andrea
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource for information about the healing properties of herbs and how to use them as teas, tonics, tinctures, essential oils, salves, baths, and more. Covers various ailments, from everyday stuff (bad breath) to childcare to problems specific to aging and more.
K.
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I want to make everything from this book, even the ones that don't apply to me, because they all look so delightful! I love Rosemary Gladstar! Easily the most user-friendly, warm, and approachable book on herbs and remedies I have read.
Heidi Branz
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's great for me, as a beginner. There are a huge number of recipes, as well as lots of information and anecdotes. It's so inspiring! Thank you Rosemary for sharing your wisdom!
Ana Fill
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rosemary Gladstar shares her extensive knowledge in a clear easily read format. Nice photos, good recipes and stories of elder herbalists. Great info from a stellar herbalist
Micah
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best herbalism book I have read so far.
Elissa
Apr 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in natural health and cosmetics
Recommended to Elissa by: Heather
The recipes in this book are excellent!! The commentary in the book... well unless you are a nature-worshiping wacko yourself, I would just skip it. :)
Elizabeth
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great resource. Keep it close by. Recipes, tinctures, factual information. Rosemary is a comprehensive author.
Morgan Djuna Sorais Harrigan
I absolutely love this book! Rosemary Gladstar presents all the information in a very readable and beautiful way. All of the herbal recipes that I've tried have worked out very well.
Liz Neves
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A must have resource for anyone interested in living a good long healthy happy life.
Gaby
Oct 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone.
Shelves: herbal
Fabulous recipes that I am trying on myself and my family and they work so beautifully.
Amy  Koch
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book and resource for natural remedies, easy instructions and great photos...definitely something to add to my personal library.
Karen
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So good! I wish it was still in print. I had to get it from the library. An essential herbalism book.
Nikoa
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's one of the best herbal resources I have found.
Amy
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is just the sort of organic, earthy, feel-good book that every woman should read. I have not tried most of the recipes yet, but am planning to!
Candice
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
awesome for first timers and experienced herbalists. recipes, materia medica, widom.
Adrienne
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: herbs
Amazing book, and my favorite by this author! I loved the discussion about the various forms of health and wellness and the brief herbal materia medica in the appendix. I loved the recipes and the lifestyle modification advice, and sometimes I like to just reread it to get a sense of the warmth and love I can feel toward my body, my health, and life in general. It's amazing how a book can do all of that. I think it's Rosemary's writing style. I found this book useful for a class project about ne ...more
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • The Earthwise Herbal: A Complete Guide to Old World Medicinal Plants
  • The Herbalist's Way: The Art and Practice of Healing with Plant Medicines
  • Sacred Plant Medicine: The Wisdom in Native American Herbalism
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • Homegrown Herbs: Gardening Techniques, Recipes, and Remedies for Growing and Using 101 Herbs
  • Organic Body Care Recipes
  • Making Plant Medicine
  • A Modern Herbal, Vol. I
  • The Way of Herbs
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • Naturally Healthy Babies and Children: A Commonsense Guide to Herbal Remedies, Nutrition, and Health
  • Adaptogens: Herbs for Strength, Stamina, and Stress Relief
  • Culpeper's Complete Herbal
  • The Complete Medicinal Herbal: A Practical Guide to the Healing Properties of Herbs, with More Than 250 Remedies for Common Ailments
  • Garden Witch's Herbal: Green Magick, Herbalism & Spirituality
  • The Naturally Clean Home: 101 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Nontoxic Cleansers
  • The Master Book of Herbalism
Rosemary Gladstar is a pioneer in the herbal movement and has been called the 'godmother of American Herbalism'. She began over 35 years ago developing herbal formulas in her herb shop, Rosemary's Garden in Sonoma County, California. She is the founder of the California School of Herbal Studies, the oldest running herb school in the United States, author of The Science and Art of Herbalism home st ...more
More about Rosemary Gladstar

• The Taste of Air
    $9.99 $3.49
  • The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Lord God Made Them All (All Creatures Great and Small, #4)
    $17.99 $1.99