Start by marking “Miss Julia Takes Over” as Want to Read:
Miss Julia Takes Over

Miss Julia Takes Over (Miss Julia #2)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  5,183 Ratings  ·  300 Reviews
As soon as readers met Miss Julia in Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, this Southern woman of a certain age and with an iron backbone and Steel Magnolia poise became an instant favorite. In that debut book, Miss Julia's proper existence was interrupted by the sudden appearance of a close "friend" of her deceased husband. Hazel Marie, with "heels too high, a dress too short, and ...more
Published July 23rd 2001 by Viking Adult (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Julia Takes Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Julia Takes Over

Connie
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, south, humor
I don't know if I can read another Miss Julia book. What was laugh-out-loud funny in the first book never quite made it for me in this one. I was immediately tired of Miss Julia's self-absorption, inability to listen, and misjudgment.
Angie Bollard
Sep 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you just need a little fluff. These books just make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. It's nice when a problem can be solved in 200 pages or less. Love Miss Julia.
Robyn Hall
This is the 2nd in this series and the last for me. Cute and clever but definitely NOT compelling.
Boring and annoying at times.
Bookclub #2 choice. Borrowed book from library. Had to renew twice just to get through it.
Karen
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have become very fond of these little books. The biggest reason is that the author lives 30 minutes away in Hendersonville, NC. Miss Julia is an elderly woman who is just now finding her place in this world and the story of her tangling with NASCAR is pretty funny. As with the first of this series, the relationship she has with her late husband's mistress and their son is the core of the story and does not disappoint. I can't wait to watch "Little Lloyd" grow up in the remaining books. Wheneve ...more
I really enjoyed "Miss Julia Speaks her Mind," so I was anxious to read the rest of the series. While I enjoyed this second installemnt, I found Miss Julia a little annoying in this one. Her "speaking out," was getting on my nerves because it was directed at someone who was trying to help her. The outspokeness was endearing in the first novel because the people really deserved to be told off. Her evasion of the law made me uncomfortable, and I couldn't get into the little romances - there wasn't ...more
Tracy
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
I didn't like this book nearly as much as the first one in the series. I've heard they get better after this one. I hope so!
Meredith Galman
Mar 25, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Apparently some people think Miss Julia is a pip; I think she is a pill.
Rachel
The second book in this series. Miss Julia doesn't know what to do when Hazel Marie doesn't come home from her date with church fundraiser Wilson T. Hodge. After the police won't help her she hires private investigator J.D. Pickens but only if she and Little Lloyd can help in the search. These books are a lot of fun. I don't think I'd want to read too many in a row but I enjoy visiting Miss Julia.
Rhonda Dlouhy
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ann-b-ross-read
Poor Mr. Pickens! Ms. Julia was determined to hold him accountable for doing his job. I love Miss Julia's relationship with Little Lloyd & Lillian. When Lillian asks Julia about Little Lloyd missing school, she said not to worry about that. "He's so far ahead of the others, his absence'll give them time to catch up." I also liked when Lillian told Miss Julia "This ain't no time to be weaken' down on us" when Miss Julia was worried about losing Little Lloyd. Lillian gave Miss Julia's arm a sh ...more
Diane
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This okay book would have been pretty good if it had been half as long. It's full of Miss Julia's ridiculous long-winded rants to the point of being tedious to the nth degree. (Yes, I expected some rants - it's a Miss Julia book after all!) But I did finish it amid loud whines of "Oh no, not another page!"
Cathy Daniel
I didn't enjoy this one near as much as the first. Love the writing, love Miss Julia, just didn't love the plot or the new character of the PI. He was annoying but apparently will be a recurring character. Onto another Miss Julia book!
T
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Julia continues to muddle her way through peoples lives, but the author does put her in unusual situations.
Amy
Jan 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sucks.
Ellen Benson
Miss Julia makes me tired. Don't think I can read any more of these. And she certainly goes to a different Presbyterian church than I do!
Virma
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love- " I Love Lucy" then Miss Julia Books are for you! Hilarious hi-jinks!
Tracey
Aug 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
pretty much my rating. it was okay. really liked the first one. we'll see about the 3rd.
Carol
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hazel Marie is missing and Brother Vern is threatening to take Little Lloyd. Miss Julia gets no help from the police so she hires J. D. Pickens to find Hazel Marie. Pickens has never had a client like Miss Julia. She insists on knowing his every move and accompanying him everywhere he goes AND she drags Little Lloyd along. Can he find Hazel Marie because of or in spite of Miss Julia?

There’s lots of dialogue and action here which I like in a book. I like strong female protagonists and Miss Julia
Susan
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Miss Julia and this one is as much fun as the first one. Hazel Marie is missing and Miss Julia can't get any satisfaction from her local law enforcement so she hires a PI to help and Little Lloyd hunt for his mother. The fact that Uncle Vern is trying to get custody of Little Lloyd doesn't help either.

Many adventures and misadventures ensue.

Another not to be missed story with Miss Julia
Erin
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Julia is at it again! I enjoyed this book although I would have loved Lillian to have been in the book more. Mr. Pickens was a fun character though and it looks like he will be back again. I'm hoping the whole Pastor Ledbetter/Brother Vern storylines aren't continually revisited in every book. That storyline is already getting old.
Julia
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this prim and proper lady who is surrounded by people who are anything but. She certainly believes in "if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself." She is this private detective's worse nightmare but could be his best friend. The interaction between these two is hilarious, especially when he takes an interest in things, she doesn't want him interested in.
Melissa
This book got really repetitive really fast. Shame. Miss Julia had a lot of potential as an easy summer series for me. Started book 3 about a wedding but not sure if I will finish. Perhaps back to the long-ago-read Cat Who series?
Liz
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stepped away from this book for awhile but done back into it a few days ago. I enjoy the light-heartedness of Miss Julia's stories. This story is a little far fetched but still an enjoyable read.
Liz Suber
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice fluff
Jeanne
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, nice no-brainer book, a good fit between serious books!
Betty Bellis
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This talented author properly hooks us again.
Nancy
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series, which makes me long for the South. Some of Miss Julia's exploits are laugh-out-loud funny. I can't wait to see what the next installment brings.
Connie Hamre
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just what I needed. A shallow, humorous summertime story between heavier books. Love the humor that any woman "of a certain age" can appreciate.
Jody Hamilton
This particular story seemed very similar to the first one. Will continue in hopes plot changes.
Allie Riley
From my booklog: "Enjoyable fluff. Miss Julia grew on me and I intend to get the whole series."

I haven't, in fact, bought any more, but then I haven't seen any in the charity shops.
Jane Healy
I read the first in this series a long time ago and remember a fond feeling for Miss Julia, so I tried this one. At first I wondered if I'd be able to finish it, as Miss Julia was harsh and judgmental. Fortunately, the charm she showed in book #1 appeared as the story went on. Yes, we must suspense belief here, as Miss Julia and Little Lloyd end up finding the missing Hazel Marie by driving on a NASCAR track. The PI Miss Julia hired and famous NASCAR driver also help get the bad guys, one of who ...more
Play Book Tag: Miss Julia Takes Over by Ann B. Ross 3 stars 3 9 Aug 20, 2017 11:28AM
  • Out to Pasture: But Not over the Hill
  • Christmas in Harmony (Harmony, #2.5)
  • My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great (Domestic Equalizers Book 2)
  • The Florabama Ladies' Auxiliary and Sewing Circle
  • Family Linen
  • Standing in the Rainbow (Elmwood Springs, #2)
  • The Jack Tales
  • In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)
  • God Save the Sweet Potato Queens
  • The Sandy Bottom Orchestra
  • The Red Hat Club Rides Again
  • The Quilter's Legacy (Elm Creek Quilts, #5)
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • Legacy of Masks (Mary Crow, #4)
  • Savannah Breeze (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #2)
  • Christmas Cake
  • Dearest Dorothy, Help! I've Lost Myself!  (Dearest Dorothy, #3)
  • This One and Magic Life: A Novel of a Southern Family
Ann B. Ross, who taught literature at the University of North Carolina at Asheville, is the author of Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, one of the most popular Southern debut novels in years, Miss Julia Takes Over, Miss Julia Throws a Wedding, and Miss Julia Hits the Road. She lives in Hendersonville, North Carolina.
More about Ann B. Ross...

Miss Julia (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (Miss Julia, #1)
  • Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia, #3)
  • Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia, #4)
  • Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia, #5)
  • Miss Julia's School of Beauty (Miss Julia, #6)
  • Miss Julia Stands Her Ground (Miss Julia, #7)
  • Miss Julia Strikes Back (Miss Julia, #8)
  • Miss Julia Paints the Town (Miss Julia, #9)
  • Miss Julia Delivers the Goods (Miss Julia, #10)
  • Miss Julia Renews Her Vows (Miss Julia, #11)