Start by marking “The Family You Make (Sunrise Cove, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Family You Make (Sunrise Cove, #1)

The Family You Make

(Sunrise Cove #1)

Beloved New York Times bestselling author Jill Shalvis begins a new series—Sunrise Cove—set near beautiful Lake Tahoe, with a heartwarming story of found family and love.

During the snowstorm of the century Levi Cutler is stranded on a ski lift with a beautiful stranger named Jane. After strong winds hurl the gondola in front of them into the ground, Levi calls his parents
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 383 pages
Published January 11th 2022 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Family You Make, please sign up.
Brandi C, Enjoy. Love, M She stood there frozen in place. Love, M . . . ? In her pocket , her phone buzzed, indicating an incoming text, and she pulled it ou…moreC, Enjoy. Love, M She stood there frozen in place. Love, M . . . ? In her pocket , her phone buzzed, indicating an incoming text, and she pulled it out. Mateo: Check the fridge before the vultures get to it. Charlotte: You didn’t have to! Mateo: Actually, I didn’t. If you’ll remember, I ended up in your bed last night when I got home at midnight. My mom left me a fridge full of food. And I know you didn’t have time to cook in your kitchen, since we were cooking in your bedroom until dawn, and I didn’t want you to be hungry. Charlotte laughed out loud, then bit her lower lip when Sandra glanced over at her. She shook her head at the nurse . “Nothing,” she said.(less)

Start your review of The Family You Make (Sunrise Cove, #1)
Sally Hanan
This is a good story about how the past affects our present and how hard it is to open up to love again. We follow the lives of three main characters, with one couple's initial encounter being a few hours of wondering if they are ever going to see the next morning.
I'm a bit back and forth on my enjoyment level of this. The writing is very good, but I felt that the two main male characters could have been the same person and so could the two female characters, if you only look at how they reacted
Jonetta
the setup…
RN Jane Parks and Levi Cutler, a data scientist consultant, find themselves stranded on a gondola in the middle of a snowstorm at the top of a mountain in Tahoe. They were the last two to be evacuated because of the snowstorm but the snow lift is bouncing around perilously. Levi gets injured and while Jane is tending to him, things look grim as the gondola threatens to plummet to the ground far below. So, Levi calls his family but before he can get a word in edgewise, his mother gets e
Steph ✨
Jan 10, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Headline Press for sending me an e-arc of this book. Honestly, I hadn't even heard of The Family You Make, it wasn't even on my radar. In fact, I hadn't even heard of Jill Shalvis. However, that has now changed. Something I didn't see coming, this being my first five star read of the year.
Outstanding! I loved everything about this book. The writing is fantastic, I've gone ahead and bought 3 more of Jill's books, and I'd love to read more of her backlist. The characters, ALL OF THEM
Carrie
Dec 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
The Family You Make by Jill Shalvis is the first book in the new contemporary romance The Sunrise Cove series. As with a lot of contemporary romance series the location is the theme of the series and each book will feature new main characters. Since the characters will be changing each book of this series can be read as a standalone if choosing to do so.

Levi Cutler was in Sunrise Cove visiting his family when he decided to head up to the mountain but as he was in a gondola going up alone when a
Susanne
Mar 31, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Just Right.

I’ve always believed that family is what you make of it, thus the new series by Jill Shalvis, The Family You Make, struck a chord with me.

Jane is a woman who has never stayed in one place A nomad who has moved around, she grew up in Sunrise Cove and will always love it. Levi is from Sunrise Cove. Though he has never felt as though he belonged, he calls it home.

These two form a bond when Levi’s life is put in danger and Jane, a traveling nurse, comes to his rescue. Thereafter, the two
RaeAnne Thayne
Jan 28, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jill Shalvis writes books that always touch my heart. I laugh, cry, and never want them to end. This is a rich, funny, warm story about people you would like to have as friends.
Bree Hill
Jan 27, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, romcoms
I may be bias here being that I am a huge Jill Shalvis fan-but I loved this.
Anyway-
The Family You Make is quintessential Jill Shalvis. I don’t know how to explain it but if you ripped the cover off, within a few chapters, Jill Shalvis readers would know it was one of her books. The humor, the charm, the friendships, the incredible dialogue, the right amount of steam-it all makes for a very heartwarming read that’s right amount of small town community feels with the right dash of romcom. She str
Claire
Jan 06, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shit-hot-series
5 - "Family is earned, not inherited..." Stars!

My 2022 reading started off spectacularly with Jill Shalvis doing what she does best and that’s delivering the perfect read. The start of the new Sunrise Cove series offered up everything I want in my contemporary romance. Likeable but flawed characters, a funny dog, family shenanigans, a cute kid and a snooty cat.

"I’m qualified to save people’s lives-even if I can’t manage to get my own together…"

You get two love stories for the price of one with
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
This review can also be found at https://carolesrandomlife.com/

I had such a good time with this book. It is no secret that I am a huge fan of Jill Shalvis’s writing so I was eager to dive into this first book in a new series. I went into the book with fairly high expectations and this story lived up to every one of them. I got the heartwarming romance that I had hoped for along with a wonderful cast of characters that came alive on the page.

This book opens with a pretty intense scene. Jane and L
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Jan 13, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2022
I love the start of a new series. So much to look forward to in Shalvis' books. Alway the hot male character and so much emotions all the feels.
The Family you Make made me long for a family. I was sucked in from the very first page. You won't be able to put it down once you start it.
4 stars and I recommend this one.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our own.
Kate Olson
(Free review copy) My new favorite Jill Shalvis book! And a series starter which means I have MORE to look forward to 😍 I loved the unique setting (Lake Tahoe) and characters (traveling nurse + data scientist) and the storyline of past hurts standing in the way of trust. The found family theme is wonderful too. It all just worked perfectly for me!
Deanne Patterson
Apr 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Deanne by: cnnamongirl@aol.com
The Family you Make is such a fun book.
Picture this, you're near beautiful Lake Tahoe, a blizzard is taking place and the ski lift you're in loses power so you're stranded in it with a handsome man and he's reassuring you the crazily rocking with the high wind car isn't going to have the cable snap on it.
This is the start of a "pretend" romance who his parents believe, you are "the one".
How to not disappoint them when it's not a real romance but he's a fun guy and he's starting to look better a
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received from author for an honest review

I have said for many many years that blood does not make you family,and Ms Shalvis has given us a story that proves that old adage.

The first thing I thought of with the first chapters of this book were Jack and Annie from the movie speed, where Jack says "I have to warn you, I've heard relationships based on tense experiences never work. Okay. We'll have to base it on sex then."

Levi and Jane's story is sweet and emotional story about how the past and
Susan Z
Jan 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jill Shalvis became one of my favorite new-to-me authors in 2021 and I'm so thrilled to kick off 2022 featuring my review of her newest book, releasing January 11th.

Jane and Levi get stuck on a gondola during a snow storm. Fearing for their life, Levi makes a call to his family to say good bye but can't bring himself to do it. Instead, he tells his mom the one thing she wants to hear. That he found love. With Jane, the girl he just met.

I fell in love with Jane and Levi, and I absolutely loved t
Irene
Sep 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Family You Make by Jill Shalvis Enjoyable romantic story with two couples, Levi and Jane and Mateo and Charlotte. Both couples are perfect for each other, they just have to overcome personal past issues to trust their feelings. Both Levi and Mateo are extremely patient, understanding and totally supportive of Jane and Charlotte. First in a new series, looking forward to reading more about the couples' family members and wondering if Tess will be next to find happiness.

ABookwormWithWine
I am always excited for a new Jill Shalvis novel and I was extra excited about the fact that The Family You Make is the first book of a new series. I loved the Lake Tahoe setting, and Shalvis did a great job of bringing that area to life in the book. The top thing I love about her books though is the characters and I have never met a Jill Shalvis character that I haven't liked. There were plenty of them to love in The Family You Make, and the story rotates between Levi, Jane, and Jane's best fri ...more
Yodamom
I just didn't connect with the characters. They seemed shallow, I never felt for them. It was an okay read but could have passed on it ...more
Simply Love Book Reviews
The Family you Make by Jill Shalvis is the first in the new Sunrise Cove series, and I thought it was an emotional story of finding the place where you belong and real love. The drama begins with two strangers, Levi and Jane, thinking they aren’t going to survive the night, and she’s been mistaken for his girlfriend. Fortunately, they survived and Levi would like make Jane his ‘pretend girlfriend’ to make his family happy. Jane however, doesn’t do happy family, never having one of her own. She’s ...more
Amy
Dec 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only thing better than a new @jillshalvis book is when the new book is the start of a new series! When I saw it would be set in Lake Tahoe I swooned a little, it is such a gorgeous place and we’ve been on three family vacations there, it’s such a special place for my family. Anyway, is anyone surprised to hear me say that I adored this one? The author can do no wrong for me her books have it all but I’ll leave you with a little list of what to expect from this one and my ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating.

♥Rachel♥
Loved! Review maybe.
Laura • lauralovestoread
This was my second book by Jill Shalvis, and I’m hooked!

THE FAMILY YOU MAKE is the first book in the brand new Sunrise Cove series.

I loved this fake dating love story between Jane and Levi, who meet during a snowstorm, getting stranded together while riding a gondola. Levi calls his Mom and ends up telling her that he has a new girlfriend, Jane.

Shalvis has once again written a heartwarming story with well developed characters I found myself rooting for, and the chemistry between Levi and Jane is
Lisa
Jan 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks Netgalley for a arc copy of this book for a honest review

The Family You Make, did not disappoint me there are a few books that I thought were just OK..  I love Jane and Levi as I'm reading all I want is for these two to find love with each other 5 star read

Happy Reading Lisa 📚
Aly
Jan 14, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane is a travel nurse for Doctors Without Borders and the likes and between contracts, she's staying with a friend and her current tenants in Sunrise Cove, California and help at the ski resort for accidents and reckless people. There's an unannounced snowstorm and she's trying to go down the slopes after a working day but end up stuck with a stranger inside a gondola many, many hundred feet above ground. It all sounds like a cute story when suddenly the gondola in front of them falls.

Nothing c
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
***4.5/5 Stars***

The Family You Make had joy, heartache, laughter and hope laced throughout the pages. With a story that was filled with richness and depth, intricate characters and a happily ever after, this book had it all. Fans of adult romance, fake dating and emotional stories should definitely add this book to their tbr!
"I didn't want you to get hurt," he said quietly, sucking in a breath when she applied pressure.
She didn't want to react to his statement, but she honestly co
Janilyn Kocher
Nov 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Shalvis delivers a sweet, lovable story. Jane and Levi need each other almost as much as Charlotte and Mateo. Throw in a zany family, complete with a temperamental cat and capricious six year old and it’s pure warmth in Sunshine Cove. I’ve never read a Shalvis book I didn’t like. I devoured this one in just a few hours, I really liked Charlotte and Mateo. Their heat was smoking hot, enough to melt even Tahoe snow. Don’t miss out on this one. Thanks to William Morrow and NetGalley for ...more
Barbara Powell
Jan 17, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I’ve got to start off this by prefacing that if you read my reviews, you know I am stingy with my stars. I am very much a book snob nowadays and it is very rare for me to give out a 5 star rating but this book gets it! It made me smile, laugh, tear up and my heart swell and that doesn’t happen often. I may have just discovered a new favorite author.
Jane and Levi both struggle with feeling accepted until one day they get trapped in a gondolas on a mountaintop in the middle of a snowstorm and
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
This was amazing and such a great story to start off 2022! I loved all of the characters especially how Ms Shalvis brings them to life.
Carolyn
Jan 13, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shalvis-jill
Great beginning to a new series. Terrific story with wonderful characters. I really enjoyed it. 😁
Jan 09, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Jill Shalvis is back with a new series, Sunrise Cove and The Family You Make was a satisfying start to a small town setting where the stories will feature friends, family and love. So basically classic Shalvis.

The Family You Make features two couples who get their HEA by the end of the story. The main couple is Jane and Levi who meet durning a winter storm. They get trapped in a gondola (as a Southern gal who has never been snow skiing I was a little confused at first because when I read/hear th

• The Summer Getaway
  • Summer at the Cape
  • A Family Affair
  • The Quiet Girl
  • Mary Jane
  • Bad Blind Date (Billionaire's Club, #8)
  • Bad Divorce (Billionaire's Club, #5)
  • Bad Fiancé (Billionaire's Club, #6)
  • Bad Hookup (Billionaire's Club, #4)
  • Bad Wedding (Billionaire's Club #9)
  • Bad Boyfriend (Billionaire's Club, #7)
  • Bad Night Stand (Billionaire's Club, #1)
  • Bad Husband (Billionaire's Club, #3)
  • Bad Breakup (Billionaire's Club, #2)
  • Summer on the Island
  • A Slow Fire Burning
  • Witches Get Stitches (Stay a Spell, #3)
  • At the End of Everything
See top shelves…
Multiple New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Jill Shalvis lives in a small town in the Sierras full of quirky characters. Any resemblance to the quirky characters in her books is … mostly coincidental. Look for Jill’s bestselling, award-winning heartwarming and full of humor novels wherever books are sold and visit her website for a complete book list and blog detailing her city-girl- ...more

Sunrise Cove (3 books)
  • The Friendship Pact (Sunrise Cove, #2)
  • The Backup Plan (Sunrise Cove, #3)