Start by marking “Let Us Pray” as Want to Read:
Let Us Pray

Let Us Pray

In this little volume of collected messages given over a long period of ministry by the author, Watchman Nee shares with us the lessons on prayer that he has learned through the years.
Published August 26th 1977 by Christian Fellowship Publishers (first published August 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Let Us Pray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let Us Pray

Victoria Lynn
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. . .

I am all fired up after reading this! So inspired to again fight the good fight in prayer. I think every Christian should read this. In the beginning it was a little difficult to get into it, but after I hit chapter 2 I was so into it I finished the rest in one day. Chapter 5 was incredibly enlightening and encouraging in light of the fact that "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, a
Ron
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(After third reading, Aug 2016) That this and more:

"God never does anything against His own will. Since God's will is to open the door and since opening the door is in accordance with righteousness, will God nevertheless open the door if we do not knock?"

A collection of Nee messages on the common topic of prayer, Let Us Pray lacks the unity and power of some of his better known works. That said, the opening meditation on the idea that God waits to do his will until we pray for it is worth the wh
Reid
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have greatly respected Watchman Nee for his discipline and his commitment to live in a manner that glorifies God. Sold out.

This small volume was an encouragement to me that will help me in my prayer life. He has lots of ideas about prayer, apparently from personal experience:

- Prayer is a mystery; it is working together with God; it is speaking out of the mouth of the believer, the will of God; it is our will standing on God's side.

- Our needs should be lost in God's will; God's will is for us
Jonathan
May 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Contains some very good principles to practice and/or keep in mind for prayer. However, I recommend not taking Nee's scriptural interpretation and theology at face value. Read with a careful and discerning attitude, always going to the bible and reading his quotes in the context of the larger passage.

For example, in the first chapter he quotes Isaiah 45:11.

"Thus saith Jehovah, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker: Ask me of the things that are to come; concerning my sons, and concerning the wor
whichwaydidshego?
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christianhelp
Honestly, for most of this small book I largely disagreed. So much so that I wrote all sorts of arguments spelling out said disagreements in the margins. Somehow that kept me wanting to read it - waiting to see how next I'd be annoyed enough to spell it out. However, toward the end I found some real gems of wisdom. Not only that, these gems spoke to what I've been facing in the last few years giving me a new and important perspective. So much so that I feel I might begin to be free of much of th ...more
Brian
Jan 04, 2008 rated it liked it
watchman nee is a genius no doubt. can be hard to read because there is so much information, and it is translated from manuscripts of sermons given throughout his life. nothing wrong with reading a wise mans thoughts on an important topic though.
Ron Mackey
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
this is one that will require multiple reads...
Aaron Cliff
Nee's assertions are very counter cultural, currently. The rise of Calvinism in the protestant mindset, at least in college, smarts very strongly against Nee's stance of "God only works when man bids him to work through prayer." Not to be mistaken, Nee never allows for God to be forced to work in a way that he doesn't desire to work, but sometimes he allows his work to be "indefinitely postponed" until enough praying people are on board with his work. I struggle to reconcile this with the attack ...more
a
Always Miller
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Spiritual Match

This book was an excellent read! The author explains the reason, the types of prayer and how to do it physically and by the scriptures. It truly educated me and the motivation gained is similar to a match-fire starter. To say I am stoked to pray is an understatement. I'm grateful that I've been blessed to have read this book by this author. Thank you Watchman Nee.
Chase Dougherty
Decent Foundational Principles

Pray consistently, fervently, and with empathy for others. Pray from faith and for God's glory. Pray for God's will to be done in specific ways, for we do not have because we do not ask. God loves to bring us along the journey and include us in His works. Great message from the author.

However, the author failed several times by using words like "always" and "never". He declared simple truths as absolutes! Additionally a large portion of the book was about fighting
Tracie Hunter
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!

EVERY Christian should read this awesome book! We have been praying amiss but once you have read this book, there should be no stopping us in defeating the devil in all areas of our lives! We MUST understand and know that our Lord and Savior is for us and not against us! AWESOME, AWESOME READ!
Jennifer Malech
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For anyone wanting to go deeper in their prayer life, this little book has some great truths that make you understand the concept/spiritual understanding of the value of our prayers.
Taylor Barkley
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No nonsense, straight to the point shot guide from someone speaking straight from deep experience.
Lucylu57
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Started out slow, but finished strong. Very helpful and well worth reading.
Carolyn
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
An amazing book about prayer!
Katrin V
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots in here to think about. Perhaps plenty to disagree with too, but even in the disagreeing the thought provoked makes it worthwhile.
Angel
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, prayer
Publicado originalmente en: angelroman.org

Este libro fue publicado en los años 70's, para poder entender un poco mejor el contexto en el que se escribió debemos remontarnos hasta esa época, pero también conocer un poco acerca de los origenes y de la vida del autor.

Oremos, es un libro bastante corto, en la versión presentada en la imagen apenas llega a las 91 páginas, lo importante es que Nee nunca se aparta del objetivo principal.

Gran parte del inicio del libro trata de la relevancia de la oraci
Alexis Neal
Jul 30, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: religion, 100-books
Extremely underwhelming. Nee's theology of prayer is unsettling, and could be taken to diminish the sovereignty of God in this fallen world. His heavy focus on satan is also troubling, but perhaps not surprising given his very real experience of persecution and spiritual warfare. He is also prone to repetition. Lots and lots of repetition. Still, he believes passionately in the power and importance of prayer, and I can support that, even if I don't agree with his ideas about the role prayer play ...more
Lisa Blair
Paraphrased quote, "God's will is like a train. Whereas our prayers are like the train rails. Trains are powerful and can travel in any direction, but it must run on rails. God is powerful, but He chooses to be governed by our prayers. All valuable prayers lay rails for God. We must lay the rails in prayer for God's power/will to come forth on earth."
Glen
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Watchman Nee always gives inspiration guidance. I did find this book a bit repetitive. In fact, if seems to me to be a collection of individual essays since he references the same illustrations at times. That said, there are good nuggets contained in the book for those wanting to grow in their prayer life.

Lanelle
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: prayer-church
This is my favorite book by this author so far. I was challenged to pray more and to pray more fervently by the author's insight into how our prayers open the way for God to do His work. When I think about how much my prayers are really making a difference, it makes me want to pray more.
Ike Unger
powerful
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian, read-2006
A bit rambly and repetitive despite being a short book. Theme: 'prayer is real work'. Rather too prescriptive - some good ideas, but I expected better.
Sid Cole
great book on prayer.
Joyce
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspired

Recommend this book to all who desire to pray and feel they do not know how...what a blessing this book has been...thank you for recommending this book....
Tina
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly written.
Jared C.
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Changed my concept of prayer. A powerful book.
Adam Jarvis
Jan 25, 2018
  • Against The Tide: The Story of Watchman Nee
  • Faith That Prevails
  • The Hour That Changes the World: A Practical Plan for Personal Prayer
  • Watchman Nee: Man of Suffering (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Prayer Shield: How To Intercede for Pastors, Christian Leaders and Others On the Spiritual Frontlines
  • Blessing Your Spirit
  • Morning by Morning
  • There Were Two Trees in the Garden (Divine Destiny)
  • Becoming a Woman of Prayer
  • The Song
  • Studies in the Sermon on the Mount: God's Character and the Believer's Conduct
  • 31 Days of Praise: Enjoying God Anew
  • Intimate Friendship with God: Through Understanding the Fear of the Lord
  • Prayer
  • A Life of Obedience
  • The Complete Works of E.M. Bounds on Prayer
  • Titus: A Comrade of the Cross
  • Intercessory Prayer: How God Can Use Your Prayers to Move Heaven & Earth
Watchman Nee (Chinese: 倪柝聲; pinyin: Ní Tuòshēng; Foochow Romanized: Ngà Táuk-sĭng; 1903–1972) was a Chinese Christian author and church leader during the early 20th century. He spent the last 20 years of his life in prison and was severely persecuted by the Communists in China. Together with Wangzai, Zhou-An Lee, Shang-Jie Song, and others, Nee founded The Church Assembly Hall, later which would b ...more
“How much in our prayers is self completely forgotten and the will of the Lord is alone the thing that is sought?” 0 likes
“We do not see that prayer is the asking of God to fulfill His needs.” 0 likes