Start by marking “Blood Lake and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Blood Lake and Other Stories

Blood Lake and Other Stories

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Jim Krusoe’s beset and bemused narrators are awash in a solution of Donald Barthelme’s worthy absurdities and Kafka’s mutating humor. In these surreal, dystopian tales, characters find their way into and out of Plato’s cave, mental hospitals, interspecies love affairs, plane crashes and Gypsy kidnappings. These narratives, which shapeshift and interpenetrate, contain every ...more
Published March 1st 1999 by New Harbinger Publications (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Lake and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Lake and Other Stories

Tosh
Oct 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Jim Krusoe is one of the great living authors - and his work should be Displayed in front of every bookstore in this (U.S.) Country. So till then i will write about here in goodreads. There is a absurd quality to krusoe's writing that tickles my toe bone - and it doesn't sound old and tired. His work is youthful without being stupid. In many ways his work reminds me of Boris Vian - and you all know how I feel about him.
Colin
Oct 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
In the first story: Morphine addict/pharmacist in a love triangle with one of his poker buddies and a female Gorilla named Kiki - it only gets stranger from there.

Krusoe continuously breaks off and rejoins the threads of his narratives; it's a bit confusing at first, but unpredictability and chance really fuel this collection......bears some comparison to Barthelme, but I've never read anything quite like it.

Blood Lake is well worth keeping an eye out for. Great collection.
Derek G
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The first story in this collection, "Remorse," is brilliant. If you are easily offended, you might not like it, but otherwise, make sure you get into the second half of the story before you make up your mind. That is where it goes from great to brilliant.

I read only three of the other stories, and they are fascinating, but it is the first story that makes me enthusiastic about this book.

Now I am reading the latest book by Mr. Krusoe, his novel "Parsifal," and it is also fascinating. It shares e
Marco Kaye
Mar 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Not Krusoe's best work (look to Iceland for that), but more chaotic and maybe even a little stranger (if that is possible). Because these are short stories, he seems to take faster stylistic leaps of imagination and the plot turns at 90º angles.

Blood Lake is my favorite of the stories. I can't wait for Erased, which looks to be a companion piece, of sorts, to Girl Factory, which I also loved.

If you're looking for a laugh, a quick but then a lingering one, I would look to any of Krusoe's books,
BlackTar
May 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pompom
i think i love jim krusoe. i must find out where he's at and travel there via any means necessary (perhaps via street luge or rickshaw) and apprentice myself to him so that he can make me as sneakily funny as he is. he's the best kind of the funny. the funny that can be sad and horrible all at the same time.
Rupert
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Many moments of absurd brilliance occasionally dissipated by Mark Leyner type quips. Carving out fresh narrative territory a lot of the time, though.
Katayoun
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Genius
Tsipi
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Looking forward to his Girl Factory (4/08)
Matthew
Oct 22, 2014
Dylan
Aug 07, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Jim Krusoe is an American novelist, poet, and short story writer. His stories and poems have appeared in Antioch Review, Denver Quarterly, BOMB, Iowa Review, Field, North American Review, American Poetry Review, and Santa Monica Review, which he founded in 1988. His essays and book reviews have appeared in Manoa, the Los Angeles Times Book Review, and The Washington Post. He is a recipient of fell ...more
More about Jim Krusoe...