Start by marking “How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World” as Want to Read:
How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World

How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  336 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
‘[An] irresistible account of a child’s imaginary 8,000-mile journey through the earth to discover what’s inside. Facts about the composition of the earth are conveyed painlessly and memorably.’ —SLJ. ‘An exciting adventure. . . . Illustrations [by Caldecott Medal winner Marc Simont] explode with color and action.’ —CS. Best Books of 1979 (SLJ)
Children's Choices for 1980 (
Published March 28th 1990 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World

Nichole
My son and I read this book as a part of Sonlight's P4/5 curriculum. This is a wonderful science book that really engages the reader. As soon as we finished, my son wanted to read it again. The book is written like a how to manual, explaining the layers of Earth. Instead of a dry explanation of the various layers and their names, the reader is taken on an adventure to the center of the Earth. Not only are all the layers named and explained, but the author explains what hypothetical equipment one ...more
Heather
Apr 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely example of an engaging, living book. We read this yesterday and the kids were captivated. They asked to read it again today. So we did. Rapt attention. Then they took out the paper and crayons and drew and drew and drew. They all made plans for their own digging expedition complete with all the gear and food and how they'd pay for it. It was incredible to see them so caught up in a book.

This book relates what you'd find if you dug through the earth and so you learn about the mantle
Tanya W
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, interesting book that tells about the various layers of the earth... woven into a story of, as the title says, "How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World". This would be a great book for a book report with a poster showing the different layers of the earth and the temperature, etc. Loved this book!
Hatka Kecalovic
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World by Faith McNulty. This book can be used in Pre-K to 2 grade classrooms. This book can be used for lessons on Earth and feature of the Earth's surface.
Garren
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime-to-try
This is a vintage book that's worth your time to track down. It's a wonderful bridge between playful children's "what if" books and the actual geological science. Think of it as a picture book for older kids.
Ruthie Knox
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a hundred kinds of awesome. My almost-three-year-old loves it, and so do I.
Karen
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Read for CC1 wk13
Graham Bradley
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I remembered the other day that I read this in first grade and it stuck in my head for years. (Granted, at age six, I didn't understand that you could not, in fact, drill through the earth in a straight line like the protagonist of this picture book.) But it was a fascinating idea, starting with a kid and a shovel in his backyard, showing the young reader what the different layers of our world looked like, and what you would find if you just kept digging.

(I thought of that when I had to fill a v
Julie Barrett
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
How to dig a hole to the other side of the world by Faith McNulty
Describes in detail what each layer of dirt/clay is til you get to the very bottom.
Great audio book and I can imagine what the pages would look like. Especailly like the layer where gems are found.
and shells...tells you what to expect when you reach the end.
Ebookwormy1
Aug 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ebookwormy1 by: Sonlight P4/5
Colorful illustrations and a whimsical approach inform kids about the composition of the earth, and how difficult it would be to cut a hole through it.

We started this as recommended in P4/5 preschool and found it a smidge long, but Mom was learning too, and I think we will be reading and rereading this for years.
Rebecca
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sonlight-p4-5
A wonderful little book that takes you on a journey through the earth. Simple introduction to earth's composition with interesting illustrations. My 4 yr old likes the story, my 6 yr old is starting to grasp the concepts.

This will be a great book to pull out again when its time to kick off an Earth Science study. Fun to read for any age.
Skye Kilaen
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is, hands down, the best storytelling book about nature that I have ever read. I would have kept reading it even if there wasn't a child next to me. McNulty blends fact and fancy effortlessly, drawing the reader into a child's adventurous voyage through the Earth itself. I lost track of how many times I was asked to "read it again" when my son was in preschool and early elementary.
Eva
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a good book to help teach elementary students about geology, and help them use their imagination to picture the things described. Some kids might find it too factual for their liking, and it doesn't have a point of view, but tells the reader to imagine each step.
Jeniann
Jan 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you ever wondered what would happen if you started digging a hole to try to get to the other side of the world, well, this book tells you about all of the obstacles that you would have to face to try to do it. I learned a few things, that's for sure.
Tim
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-0-5
What a great little book. Makes stuff that I learnt aged 10 or 11 in geography lessons fun and accessible to a three year old (obviously being read to!). An awesome adventure digging to the centre of the world and out again.
Keri
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My boys and I absolutely loved this book. We kept talking about how cool it would be to have a "No-Space Ship" so we could make it through the mantle, and drink lemonade all the while. Totally fun adventure through the earth. We had to read it over and over again.
polly
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is such a fun book for teaching children (and adults) about what the earth is composed of, right down to the core. It's engaging, well-illustrated, and amusing!
Stephanie
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Stephanie by: Sonlight
I LOVE this book, as do my sons. This is a great introduction (or review) of the earth and its different levels. It is a fun way to learn the basics.
Christopher Bittorf
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids everywhere.
Recommended to Christopher by: No one.
I read this when I was a little kid and I loved it.
Lisa
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
Shelves: science
Explains composition of the earth in a way young children can understand.
Teri
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really great way to visualize the makeup of the inner earth.
Hailey Dellinger
This text is great to use during life science and introduces what you find when you dig in the Earth. This book is fun and imaginative to use for students!
Deborah Harris
Dec 01, 2013 added it
Shelves: a10
RL 3.20 GRL-L
Elsbeth
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my toddler and later preschool child over and over. For the scientifically minded child, it's one of the very best
Vivi
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a nice adventure, digging all the way down to the centre of the earth and more to go to the other side of the world! This is how science should be taught in school.
Charsia
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was cool learning about whats below my feet, deep, deep, deep, DEEP under ground, from the dirt to the rock to the water, to the magma. I thought it was a good book!
Emmie
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, sonlight
This is a really fun, quick read to teach the layers of the earth and the things that are in them. It is very imaginative and related in a way kids can easily understand.
Lauri Meyers
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable to read much like the poetic prose of Stars. It's non-fiction wrapped up in great imagination. Action packed but can be read quietly at night too.
Tessa
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
My eight year old son thought this one was cool - funny and interesting. He kept saying that of course you couldn't dig a hole to the other side because you'd burn up - right? Right?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • How Do You Lift a Lion?
  • What's Under The Sea? (Usborne Starting Point Science)
  • Why Do Tigers Have Stripes?
  • Things People Do
  • Then and Now
  • The Lion Storyteller Bedtime Book: World Folk Tales Especially for Reading Aloud
  • The Year At Maple Hill Farm
  • People
  • The Greek News
  • Eric Carle's Animals Animals
  • North American Indians
  • Maps and Globes (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Peter the Great
  • The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook
19569
Faith McNulty was an American non-fiction author, probably best-known for her 1980 book The Burning Bed. She was born "Faith Corrigan" in New York City, the daughter of a judge. Young Faith attended Barnard College for one year, then attended Rhode Island State College. But she dropped out of college once she got a job as a copy girl at the New York Daily News. She later went to work for Life maga ...more
More about Faith McNulty...