Start by marking “Death by Sample Size (Holly Swimsuit Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Death by Sample Size (Holly Swimsuit Mystery #1)

Death by Sample Size (Holly Swimsuit Mystery #1)

Death by Sample Size is a humorous cozy mystery that takes place in the Los Angeles garment center. The last thing Ditzy Swimwear sales exec Holly Schlivnik expected was to discover ruthless buying office big wig Bunny Frank’s corpse trussed up like a Thanksgiving turkey with a bikini stuffed down her throat. When Holly’s colleague is arrested for Bunny’s murder, the wise- ...more
Published June 9th 2021 by The Wild Rose Press

To ask other readers questions about Death by Sample Size, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by Sample Size

Start your review of Death by Sample Size (Holly Swimsuit Mystery #1)
Nancy
Apr 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Death by Sample Size relates the perilous adventures of ladies’ swimwear sales executive Holly Shlivnik. When nasty buyer Bunny Frank is found dead in the California Apparel Mart and Holly’s colleagues are implicated, she sets on the trail of a ruthless killer. Can she trust anyone who works in the merchandise mart? Soon someone is after her, and Holly had better find the culprit fast or she’ll end up hung up to dry next on the clothing rack. Details about the wholesale fashion industry are a bo ...more
Emily Pennington
Jun 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Murder in the Fashion World . . .

Swimwear sales exec, Holly Schlivnik, was definitely not expecting to see the buying office big shot Bunny Frank's corpse in the elevator, although laughter was perhaps not the initial appropriate response in that situation. It was especially distressing that she had a bikini stuffed down her throat and a blue pallor on her cheeks.

Fortunately Los Angeles County Assistant Medical Examiner Sophie Cutler was Holly’s close friend from school days and able to vouch f
Linda Griffin
May 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
The casual, colorful first-person narration, stuffed with action tags (“He spat out the words like seeds from an orange,”) helps to define the character of Holly Schlivnik. I’ve always cared more about procedure than whodunit, and I enjoyed watching Holly bumble her way toward a solution with plenty of humor and suspense. The business talk was over my head but set the background to possible motives for murder. The character of Ernesto, who appears only once, is stereotypical, but balanced by the ...more
Nicki Mech
Jun 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing

When reading this fun book be prepared to not be able to put it down! For me it was worth losing sleep over as I read until early morning. The book grabbed me from start to finish.
I loved the unusual setting of the story ( instead of bakery or bookstore), the fun little comments ( sometimes sarcastic), the humor, realistic characters and the twists. The foods mentioned did make me hungry lol.
If you like a clean and fun paced mystery, this fits that book cover.

This is the first book for a new aut
Marilyn Baron
Jun 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Buyers Beware: Death in the Garment District

Who killed buyer Bunny Frank? In this humorous, page-turning cozy mystery with murders galore, Death by Sample Size by Susie Black, Ditzy Swimwear sales exec (and amateur sleuth) Holly Schlivnik finds the body and the killer. I did not guess who the killer was since everybody (and I mean everybody) hated the victim. I loved Detective Martinez and hope he’ll return in the next book of the Holly Swimsuit Mystery series, perhaps as Holly’s love interest?
Nellie Steele
Jun 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Who killed Bunny? This is the question thrust upon readers in the opening scenes of this humorous cozy! The premise immediately draws the reader into the mystery and will keep you turning pages long after your bedtime!

With its swimsuit theme, Death by Sample Size promises to be an entertaining summer read.

Ms. Black sets up for a fun and funny cozy series in the unique niche of fashion. With witty dialogue plunked onto the LA scene, this cozy series promises to provide great entertainment!

*I was
Vicky
May 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Unlike most cozy mysteries, this one starts off with the murder, then we are taken back in time to meet the people surrounding it. That was a little…startling at first. I had a little trouble switching gears from “now” to “then” and then back to “now” later on to find the killer. It was also confusing trying to follow who was who and what they all were doing. I know nothing about the clothing industry and how it works so the whole buyer/supplier/designer/etc. thing was a bit confusing.

The main
Ioanna
May 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Death by Sample Size is a humorous mystery written by Susie Black.

Holly Schlivnik was the Vice President of Sales at Ditzy Swimwear. She worked in the LA garment center. One day on her way there she found Bunny Frank dead in the elevator. Bunny was one of the most successful people in the industry and the most hateful. So when the question
of who killed her poped up the list was long. When detective Martnez wrongfully arrested one of her best fr
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
There’s more than one way to make a splash in the swimming suit industry.

The pacing was handled nicely. I appreciated the fact that the author spent so much time explaining the characters, their relationships to each other, and what the swimwear industry was like in the beginning. While it did slow things down a little bit temporarily, all of these details were critical in order to understand why Bunny was killed as well as why each individual suspect might have had reason to murder her. It was
Wannee
Jun 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, Humorous & Laugh Out Loud Cozy Mystery - A Great Start of the New Series!!!

Death by Sample Size is the first book in Holly Swimsuit Mystery Series and the first book that I read by Susie Blank and it does not disappointed me, it's hilarious. I love the book cover, it's so cute, funny and intriguing and already pique my interest right from the beginning.

Holly Schlivnik, swimwear sales exec, finds the dead body of the buying office big shot Bunny Frank in the elevator at the California
Melody DeBlois
Jun 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
In this first book in the Holly Swimsuit Mystery series, Susie Black mixes humor with adventure and tension. For me, this made Death by Sample Size hilarious and fun to read. Heroine Holly Shlivnik, vice president of sales at Ditzy Swimwear, is up to her eyeballs with suspects after discovering Bunny Frank’s corpse in an elevator. There are so many twists and turns in this whodunit that some I didn’t see coming. I enjoyed reading about Holly’s quirky friends. They include the sharp-witted Queeni ...more
April Willis
Jun 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific Who-dun-it! Had me guessing!!!

This book is a Winner! Right out of the gate, Susie Black grabs your attention with her character development and descriptions. Her style pulls you into the Garment Industry world. Growing up in the L.A. basin, this book took on special meaning as she related details in her setting. (Traffic on the Freeways, the massive Clothing District, Marina Del Ray). Thank you for writing this exciting novel. Recommend to All!
Annalisa
Jun 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It is all fun and games for holly until she finds a body.I thought this was an adorable cozy. The mystery is clever and there is alot of twists to it. I love the interaction between the characters. I would definitely recommend this book.

Molly
Jun 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of cozy, sisterhood and fashion marketing whodunnit
Recommended to Molly by: Booksprout
Holly finds working with buyers trying to put swimsuits into stores is a much more cut-throat endeavor than she realized

Bullying, bribes, blackmail and intimidation- maybe selling swimsuits is far too dangerous an undertaking after all

Amey Zeigler
Jun 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-books
Funny, entertaining cozy mystery set in the world of Swimsuit wear. Susie Black definitely knows her stuff. The setting and characters were so believable! If you love fashion and mysteries, pick this up!
Dottie Schadl