Start by marking “The Aleph and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Aleph and Other Stories

The Aleph and Other Stories

Full of philosophical puzzles and supernatural surprises, these stories contain some of Borges’s most fully realized human characters. With uncanny insight, he takes us inside the minds of an unrepentant Nazi, an imprisoned Mayan priest, fanatical Christian theologians, a woman plotting vengeance on her father’s “killer,” and a man awaiting his assassin in a Buenos Aires g ...more
Published July 27th 2004 by Penguin Classics (first published September 1945)

Glenn Russell
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Borges is magnificent. Below The Immortal, my review continues with other tales from this modern master.

THE IMMORTAL
We have all experienced different dimensions in our life, to name just three: waking, deep sleep and dreaming. Yet when it comes to describing or imagining the afterlife, I’ve read very few accounts postulating how awareness could shift between various levels; rather, life (or lack of life) after death tends to be portrayed as an uninterrupted hum all at one frequency, the three m
Bill  Kerwin
May 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing

This is a masterful collection by a writer of genius. I believe The Aleph is just as good as Fictions," and Fictions is as good as any book of short pieces produced in the 20th Century. If you like paradoxes, puzzles, doppelgangers and labyrinths used as metaphors for the relation of microcosm to macrocosm and the fluid nature of personal identity, then this is the book for you.

These stories are profound, but they are written in such an entertaining traditional narrative style that they might o
Ahmad Sharabiani
EL aleph, Jorge Luis Borges
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز دوم ماه ژوئن سال 2008 میلادی
عنوان: الف (مجموعه 17 داستان کوتاه)؛ اثر: خورخه لوئیس بورخس؛ برگردان: م. طاهر نوکنده؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، نیلوفر، چاپ دوم 1387، در 245 ص، شابک: 9789644483288، چاپ قبلی 1387 در 254 ص، کتابنامه از ص 241 تا 245، داستانهای کوتاه آرژانتینی، سده 20 م
در جهان داستاننویسیِ آمریکای لاتین، پس از انتشار آثار بورخس، کمتر نوشته ی قابل اعتنائی میتوان یافت که برای دور شدن از واقعیت گرائیِ عینی توانسته باشد از جادو و ابداعِ خیالی سازیه
BlackOxford
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spanish-american
Down and Out in Lovecroft and Borges

At some point (but not today) I intend to do a review of Borges and Lovecroft together. Not to say anything important but merely to understand how they depend on one another. I think it is clear that Borges borrowed from Lovecroft. And I think it is just as clear that we read Lovecroft in light of what Borges did with the genre of fantasy/horror.

At least a half dozen stories have been identified by readers as ‘cross-overs’ as it were from Lovecroft to Borges.
Cecily
Anything can drive a person insane if that person cannot manage to put it out of their mind” – even… “a map of Hungary”! Obsession is the unifying theme of virtually all these stories, which is apt, because I’m beginning to be a trifle obsessed myself. It is perhaps most central to The Zahir.

I have the Collected Fictions (with copious translator's notes), but am splitting my review of that into its components, listed in publication order: Collected Fictions - all reviews. This is the fourth, pu
دُکتر دَرونْگَرآ
|آرایش غلیظ|

گفتن: «ترجمهی خوب مثل زن میمونه، خوشگلشْ وفادار نیست؛ وفادارشْ خوشگل نیست» بیراه نیست، اقلاً در مورد ترجمه صادقه

ترجمهی جناب نوکنده یه زنِ وفاداره که سعی میکنه با آرایشِ غلیظ خودش رو خوشگل نشون بده. به دلیل ویراستهای متعدد، تطبیقهای چندباره_با فاصلههای زمانی طولانی _ و البته «اینکاره» نبودن ایشون، متن پُر سکتهست، به عبارت خودمونیتر، هِی قطع وُ وصل میشه، یکدست و همدست نیست، متن وصلهپینه شدهست. یه «ادبی» بودن نابههنگامی هم توی متن موج میزد که بعضاً آزاردهنده بود
اما هر زنِ زشتی بالاخره م
Magrat Ajostiernos
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, club-pickwick
Telaraña de historias y leyendas absurdas y maravillosas, llenas de elementos fantásticos pero con las que viajas por todo el mundo y a través del tiempo.
He disfrutado mucho de esta lectura, aunque hay un puñado de relatos que no llegué a apreciar o entender, en cambio otros como 'El inmortal', 'Emma Zunz', 'La casa de Asterión', 'Deutsches Requiem' y 'El Alpeh' me fascinaron completamente y no puedo dejar de darles vueltas.
Borges consigue algo que nunca me había pasado, que según termine un r
Owlseyes on notre dame, it's so strange a 15-hour blaze and...
Stevenson, Wells, Twain, Verne,…the Arabian Nights, were some of the references for Borges very early on, back in Argentina. At his father’s library he read a lot. Then he went to Europe...

Borges: “American, old and a blind poet “ he realized once, later in life. Afterwards he had to live up to it and face old age as a “time of happiness”; the “animal being dead…man and soul go on”.

Borges: “a shy man who longed for oblivion” (“siempre tímido”, as he said of himself); but not shy stories, he
Jason
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You're avoiding a single star, Borges, simply because I try my best not to dish them out. There's little value in reading if one is going to try consider ways to dislike doing it. I love your ideas, but not your executions. Reading through the contents list, I can easily choose five or six stories whose very conception alone excite me(The Immortal, The Zahir, The Writing of The God, The House of Asterion), but you continually bashed me over the head with names, places, dates, literary and histor ...more
Luís C.
This book of short tales by Jorge Luis Borges is perhaps the most brilliant compendium of fantastic stories that the author has written. Among others, we find: "The immortal", "The dead", "The theologians", "History of the warrior and the captive" and the central story that has the most eloquent burden of mystery and metaphysical depth: "The Aleph".
In this last story, the author in person is the protagonist. After the death of his beloved friend Beatriz Viterbo, Borges does not miss the appointm
Florencia
I know why I didn't write a review. I wrote several reviews about Borges' books and I got tired of saying how amazing this writer was. Is. Will always be. This is one of the greatest short stories collections I've ever read. There are ordinary situations combined with magical events, sometimes very subtle, sometimes not. But it's there. And they're all beautifully written. Stories like "El Inmortal", "Emma Zunz", "La casa de Asterión" or "Los teólogos" are outstanding pieces of literary work tha ...more
Sawsan
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
عالم بورخيس القصصي عجيب
في بعض أحيان بتكون الفانتازيا والغرابة في النص الأدبي طريفة وممتعة وفيها صور خيالية جميلة
وأحيان أخرى تكون غاية في الغموض
بعض القصص في هذه المجموعة الخيال فيها مثير للدهشة, وأخرى أفكارها مفهومة إلى حد ما
وبعضها الكاتب نفسه بيدخل فيها فكأنها أجزاء من حياته.
قراءة مختلفة ومحيرة
poncho
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading Borges my brain usually feels fried, so excuse all the nonsense in this review. My intention was never to write anything about it, to let it flow, to carry on with my life. But trust me, after reading this magnificent writer, and specially such writings as the ones collected in El Aleph, life's never the same. My brain may be fried, but my soul feels somewhat soothed.

Reading him is like facing the Zahir: something that seeds in one's soul a never-ending obsession in life's groundle
Roy Lotz
This is the second Borges book that I have read (though the first in Spanish), and I have found that my reaction was an echo of the first. With Borges, I have the constant sensation that the writing is superlative and the style very much to my taste; yet somehow I often manage to be uninspired. The typical Borgesian themes—the collapse of personal identity, the sense of a mysterious connection, the obsession with a sort of occult understanding of a higher reality—make me uneasy, and at times str ...more
رؤیا
از عالم معنا الفی بیرون تاخت که هرکه آن الف را فهم کرد همه را فهم کرد, هرکه این الف را فهم نکرد هیچ فهم نکرد. طالبان چون بید می لرزند از برای فهم آن الف.

مقالات شمس تبریزی

اولین خوانش من از برجسته ترین نویسنده آمریکای لاتین خورخه لوئیس بورخس همراه با شگفتی و هیجان و لذت.....کتابی با 17 داستان کوتاه بیشتر در دنیایی غیرواقعی در باره مرگ و زندگی اما بی نهایت عمیق و قابل تامل.....نوع تفکر با رجوع به اندیشمندانی از یونان باستان تا به امروز همراه با قلم جادویی و نگاهی ناب و زیبا بورخس را در لیست نویسندگ
Carmine
In contemplazione dell'universo

"Tutte le parti della casa si ripetono, qualunque luogo di essa è un altro luogo. Non ci sono una cisterna, un cortile, una fontana, una stalla; sono infinite le stalle, le fontane, i cortili, le cisterne. La casa è grande come il mondo."

"Nella Somma Teologica si nega che Dio possa far sì che il passato non sia stato, ma non si dice nulla dell'intricata concatenazione di cause ed effetti, che è tanto vasta e segreta che forse non si potrebbe annullare un solo fat
Magdalena
Me costó mucho terminar este libro. Tenía ganas de leerlo por decir "ya leí a Borges en algún punto de mi vida", pero realmente fue una lectura algo difícil.

El contexto histórico, fantasioso y en ciertos momentos filosóficos fueron muy abrumantes. Seguramente me pareció eso debido a que venía leyendo estilos y géneros muy distintos al de cuentos fantaseosos con un nivel de profundidad alto (en la mayoría de ellos).

Es el primer libro con el que experimento la convicción de volver a leerlo en ot
Davide
«Ma non ho soltanto immaginato giuochi; ho anche meditato sulla casa. Tutte le parti della casa si ripetono, qualunque luogo di essa è un altro luogo. Non ci sono una cisterna, un cortile, una fontana, una stalla; sono infinite le stalle, le fontane, i cortili, le cisterne.»

Non manca molto al trentennale della prima lettura, eppure ricordo ancora dove ero, in che posizione stavo mentre leggevo, la sensazione di vedere spalancarsi stanze nella mia testa, il desiderio e la vertigine di attraversal
Daniela
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What is there to say about Jorge Luis Borges that hasn't been said before?

Not much. Borges is a wonderful story-teller. His world is one of mysticism and magic, and paradoxically, of raw realism. It's a world of serious philosophical thoughts and of detective plots. The Aleph is a window for everything that the world contains; perhaps that is the perfect description of Borges's stories.

I must admit, however, that some of the stories didn't awe me that much. I infinitely prefer when Borges write
Adina
Feb 04, 2015 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd time I try to read these stories. This time I tried in Spanish (very bad idea- too difficult for my level) and then came back to the Romanian translation.

I liked the ideas (such as for the Immortals) but the author continually put references of different names, places, dates, literary and historical citations that in my opinion made the story unpleasant to read. I understand the author is very well read and he drew inspiration from all the book he cites (Iliad, Hamlet, etc) but
Biron Paşa
Bundan yaklaşık bir yıl önce elime aldım Alef'i ve ilk öyküleri okudum. Ama Borges içine girilmesi, anlaşılması çok zor bir dünya yaratmıştı. Bir hikâyenin içinde anlamadığım ve hikâyenin hiçbir yerinde açıklanmayan onlarca gönderme, referans oluyordu ve bazen bunlar hikâyenin meramını anlamamı engelliyordu. Sinirlendim ve Borges'i anlaşılmayacak bir şeyler yazdığı için kibirli buldum.

Üstünden aylar geçti ve ben kitaba hiç dokunmadım. Sonra geçenlerde aklıma düştü ve Borges'le olan içimdeki tart
Ian "Marvin" Graye
The Last Words of Christ the Lord

A friend of my ex-wife’s (it’s not necessary that you know his name or hers), though at the time of his death a committed atheist, was awarded a Doctor of Sacred Theology by an American University after the publication of his biography of the late Pope, which was generally well received, even in Roman Catholic circles.

He was a great frequenter of antiquarian bookshops in Rome, at one of which he encountered and purchased for his future studies a collection of bo
Nickolas the Kid
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: masterpieces
Για άλλη μια φορά ο Μπόρχες κατάφερε να με κάνει να ταξιδέψω μέσα στα δαιδαλώδη μονοπάτια της φαντασίας του...

Η συγκεκριμένη συλλογή διηγημάτων απαρτίζεται από ιστορίες που έχουν μια κοινή βάση -τουλάχιστο οι περισσότερες- κι αυτή είναι η αναζήτηση του Θεού. Όχι όμως ενός συγκεκριμένου θεού, αλλά κυρίως της έννοιας του ή της πεμπτουσίας του. Σχεδόν σε όλα τα διηγήματα υπάρχει διάχυτος ένας μυστικισμός ενώ οι επιρροές από την Βίβλο, το Κοράνι και άλλα θρησκευτικά βιβλία είναι καταφανέστατες.

Λαβύ
Raha
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
کتاب مجموعه ای از 17 داستان کوتاه هست.کتاب خوبی بود و داستان های زیبایی داشت ...اما بزرگترین مشکل این اثر، حداقل برای من، این بود که کتاب پر بود از اسامی آدم ها ،اسطوره ها و سرزمین های ناشناخته ای که من به سختی اسم بعضی از آنها را شنیده بودم، و چون دائما" باید به پی نوشت ها مراجعه می کردم کمی خسته کننده و حوصله سر بر بود
Ginny_1807
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Immenso Borges

Se leggendo “Finzioni” non si può fare a meno di ammirare Borges per l’originalità inventiva e il geniale virtuosismo, leggendo “L’Aleph” si impara ad amarlo incondizionatamente. O almeno a me è successo così.
A chi si accostasse per la prima volta a questo scrittore, consiglierei pertanto di iniziarne la conoscenza da quest’opera, che a mio avviso ne rivela più intensamente ed esaustivamente le eccezionali qualità narrative e il singolarissimo profilo intellettuale.
Ciascuno dei d
Teresa
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-argentina, g-contos, 5e
"Que o céu exista, mesmo que o nosso lugar seja o inferno."

Há dias (por "culpa" de uma amiga do Goodreads) ouvi uma pequena história de Jorge Luis Borges que me impressionou:
Um dia, junto das pirâmides do Egipto, Borges apanhou um punhado de areia, largou-o mais à frente e disse: "Estou a modificar o deserto.
...e, através da sua escrita, modifica a mente de quem o lê...

Dos dezassete contos, incluídos neste livro, não gostei muito da maior parte deles. Ou porque não os compreendi (perdida em l
GrauWolf
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All'interno di questa raccolta ogni storia oltre a racchiudere un universo a sè stante, riesce a contenere almeno una parte della grande sapienza di Borges.
L'Aleph è un insieme di racconti fantastici, che dimostrano la grande capacità dell'autore di fondere la finzione e la realtà, lasciando il lettore in un apparente stato di sbalordimento.
Sono storie brevi estremamente colte, ricche di riferimenti a testi e autori tutt'altro che noti. Sono storie religiose, orientali, mitologiche, esoteriche,
arcobaleno
Ci ho provato e riprovato. Ogni volta mi impegnavo a leggerne un pezzetto in più, ma ogni volta mi ritrovavo con un testo cervellotico, artificioso e saccente, che faticavo ad afferrare; anzi, mi infastidiva. E ogni volta mi sentivo come quel rudimentale troglodita del primo racconto, tuttavia priva di immortalità.
L’ho ripreso infine da poco, quando ho scoperto su GR un gruppo di lettura che aveva scelto proprio "L’Aleph” per il mese di dicembre.
Sono rimasta dietro le quinte in attesa, e anche
Olethros
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
-Diferente, interesante, atractivo y generador de tendencias incluso en la actualidad.-

Género. Relatos.

Lo que nos cuenta. Recopilación de relatos (el autor prefería la palabra cuentos, así que respetemos eso) de Borges, que nos llevarán desde el hallazgo de un objeto increíble hasta conocer los recuerdos de un inmortal, pasando por los pensamientos de un peculiar protagonista en su todavía más peculiar hogar o un juicio en el Punjab, entre otras tramas.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoile
Salma
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
قرأتها قبل عامين
و هذا ما كتبته حينها
مجموعة قصص قصيرة لـ بورخيس...0
ليست قراءته سهلة... فهذا الإنسان موسوعي جدا و كأنه مطلع على كافة الثقافات و الأديان و الأساطير في الأرض... كثرة الأسماء و التداعيات جعلتني أتوه... و حُقَّ لي أن أتوه و هو أبو المتاهات و التوهان... فقصصه تدور بمعظمها حول المتاهة واللانهائية و الدور و الشك و اللامنطقية... فمثلا كيف لنقطة أن تحتوي كل الزمان و المكان و كل شيء بوقت واحد لا متعاقب...0
طبعا ليس من داع لأقول أن لم تكن كل القصص على سوية واحدة و أن فكرته كثيرا ما كان يعيدها
Goodreads Italia: GdL Narrativa Dicembre 2013: L'Aleph di Jorge Luis Borges - Commenti e discussione 31 223 Aug 04, 2017 11:27AM
/lit/: * The Immortal - Jorge Luis Borges 9 171 Mar 21, 2014 04:38PM
O meu Aleph (book club): Os teólogos 1 12 Apr 28, 2013 10:10AM
O meu Aleph (book club): O morto 1 9 Mar 09, 2013 09:20PM
  • Las armas secretas
  • The Dream of Heroes
  • Respiración artificial
  • The Witness
  • Los siete locos (Los siete locos, #1)
  • Boquitas pintadas
  • The Insufferable Gaucho
  • Adán Buenosayres
  • Pedro Páramo / El Llano en llamas
Jorge Francisco Isidoro Luis Borges Acevedo, usually referred to as Jorge Luis Borges (Spanish pronunciation: [xoɾxe lwis boɾxes]), was an Argentine writer and poet born in Buenos Aires. In 1914, his family moved to Switzerland where he attended school and traveled to Spain. On his return to Argentina in 1921, Borges began publishing his poems and essays in Surrealist literary journals. He also wo ...more
“A man sets out to draw the world. As the years go by, he peoples a space with images of provinces, kingdoms, mountains, bays, ships, islands, fishes, rooms, instruments, stars, horses, and individuals. A short time before he dies, he discovers that the patient labyrinth of lines traces the lineaments of his own face.” 228 likes
“There are those who seek the love of a woman to forget her, to not think about her.” 93 likes