Start by marking “Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide to Over 200 Natural Foods” as Want to Read:
Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide to Over 200 Natural Foods

Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide to Over 200 Natural Foods

“Beautiful color photographs . . . temptingly arranged.”—The Library Letter

Planning an outdoor adventure? Make sure to consult this information-packed and photo-filled North American field guide—arranged by season and region—before you go!

Already a huge success in previous editions, this must-have field guide now features a fresh new cover, as well as nearly 400 color pho
Published April 7th 2009 by Sterling (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Edible Wild Plants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edible Wild Plants

Celia
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up I enjoyed a "mountain man" stage when I all but lived outdoors for months, almost obsessively studying My Side of the Mountain and this book.

My siblings thought I was crazy, but they would often follow my lead anyway. As a result we had the greatest time and learned a lot. Some of our favorite adventures included "feeding the fish" in the creek (because our wooden hooks weren't sharp enough to catch them), cooking and eating dandelion jelly, building a treehouse, and making a picnic o
KA
Aug 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, food
This book is awesome - tons of North American plants with their descriptions, recipes, photos, related species, poisonous look-alikes; and all the plants are arranged seasonally, which is a great help here in VT. I feel very confident using this book.
David Gregg
Mar 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Read this twice when I was in high school, along with another book just like it (which I also read twice). You might be bored by it, but I was enthralled!
Ross
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great writeups on each plant. The book organizes the plants by season in which they are found or best harvested. Enormously helpful. Pictures suck. Only one pic per plant and usually at the plant's full maturity, which is not necessarily the best time to harvest. Some of the pics are even in black and white (how does that help?!). This book is useful so long as you have at least one more book for cross reference.
Samantha
I read this whole book because I own a copy and I was thrilled when I found out it was here. This book is full of recipes, when to harvest, where it grows, and even more. WARNING SOME OF THE EDIBLE PLANTS ON THERE CAN BE MISTAKEN FOR POISONOUS ONES SO BE CAREFUL. This book sometimes says there are no poisonous look alikes when there are. So use at your own risk. But it's still a great book.
Bozena
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
yeah this is a classic. buiying a copy for my brother. this helped me cook on a recent camping trip. thank you thomas and everyone and ancient knowledge that lets us enjoy this book
Linda Munro
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took this book from the library to use as a field guide when my grandchildren and I hiked through the local State forest. What I found was an amazing guide including actual color photos of plants that tell not only which plants that we often dismiss as weeds are edible, but also how the plants can add to our daily diet.

I found it strange that plants such as the chokecherry, which are poisonous to pick and eat raw, can be transformed into teas nad jams that are safe and edible. This book was a
Katarina Ross
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very serviceable book concerning foraging for wild, edible plants in the US and Canada. The aspects that drew me to this book were the multiple processing options for the edible plants. The text breaks down how to locate, identify, harvest and then eat the various species, including which ones are best made into jam, eaten raw or cooked before ingesting.

The author also has a concern for sustainable harvesting of wild plants, an important aspect for the field considering the number of p
First Name
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Naturists, Hikers, Foragers
Recommended to First Name by: Reviews on Goodreads
This is an amazing book. When I first looked at the preview online it didn't look good to me. But when I borrowed this book I learned how amazing it is. It's got 200+ wild edible plants, icons on how to use them. It also has recipes for the different ways to prepare it and a very good description on each plant. At the end of the book, there's all the poisonous plants with descriptions. The only thing I didn't like was how a few (3-4) of the plant pictures are in black and white (it's probably be ...more
Graybird
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook, diy, nature, plants
This is an invaluable guide to some of the more common plants that can be foraged in North America (mostly United States-centric, some Canada). The plants are divided by season, and each plate has colored pictures, along with indispensable information about how to identify, harvest, and prepare the plants. There is also a section on toxic plants, which everyone should be able to identify before going out and foraging. My only complaints are that I'd like to see more common plants listed (such as ...more
Erfman
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty solid book on the subject. It covers a wide swath of the edible wild plants found in America. The range maps are especially helpful. From them I know, for instance, that wild leeks are not generally found in eastern Iowa but are found across the Mississippi in Illinois.

I also appreciate how the guide in broken up into seasons so you can concentrate on the right portion of the book depending on the time of the year.

However, the depth of information is rather low and sometimes th
Jennifer Guest
One thing that makes this book more worthwhile than others I've read like it, is that it has maps that show where a specific type of plant can be found. That way you don't waste your time looking for things that don't grow in your area. Overall- a great resource and on my wishlist to purchase, instead of borrow from the library. ;-)
Natalie
One of the better pocket guides, with full color photos of plants in different stages and parts, by season of harvest and with maps for locations across US. Some recipe/preparation information for each plant listed. Logo-keys in margin for safety, trail eating and a bunch of other labels.
Karen
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pictures and layout of book was wonderful, but I think you would need a supplemental book to cover the many areas uncovered in this book. Like someone else said in review mainly centered in the west side of states and I am in Missouri.
Kym
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guides
A really nice guide to edible plants one might find outside the boundaries of a garden. Wonderful photographs and descriptions make it easy to locate the plants. There are even a few recipes thrown in to enjoy your finds.
Brandy
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foraging
I love the way this guide is divided by season and location. I'm definitely going to buy this book and keep it with me when foraging.
Carlie
Aug 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good intro to edible wild plants, but next time, I would get one specifically about Pacific Northwest edible plants.
Rich Neal
Jun 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
west coast bias.. but still very informative
Judith
Apr 17, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Emily
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily by: Ruby's shelf
Shelves: naturalists
Very useful guide for garden weed identification. The promised recipes are more survivalist than gourmand, so caveat hipsters. Photographs are not always sufficient for positive ID.
Arabesque
Good basic edible wild edible plants book with lots of pictures. Arranges the plants by season they are available which is useful. Good field guide.
Rose
Aug 21, 2015
Lesley Weaver
Jun 15, 2013
  • A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Edible Wild Plants: Wild Foods from Dirt to Plate
  • Tom Brown's Guide to Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
  • Stalking the Wild Asparagus
  • The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers: Eastern Region
  • Home Dairy with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Cheese, Yogurt, Butter & More
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Garden Anywhere: How to grow gorgeous container gardens, herb gardens, kitchen gardens, and more, without spending a fortune
  • Native American Ethnobotany