Start by marking “Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching” as Want to Read:
Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching

Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching

More than just a pair of days, a weekend is also a state of mind—a feeling of relaxation and freedom to immerse ourselves fully in a favorite activity. In Weekend Sewing, designer Heather Ross presents creative projects for clothing, accessories, and home items that can be made in a weekend or less. Some, like the Quick Garden Gloves and Ruby’s Bloomers, take a few hours; ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Weekend Sewing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weekend Sewing

Start your review of Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
Shannon
Mar 06, 2011 rated it liked it
I like the idea of this book. I like the presentation, the projects, the illustrations and photos, and the extras. However, I've dubbed this book "Weekend Tracing". If the idea is that these are quick projects that can be completed in a few weekend hours, then you better be prepared to spend a weeknight tracing the patterns from the master pattern sheet. If you haven't seen what this looks like, it's a treasure map of several patterns drawn on the same sheet of paper in different colours, and ...more
Emilie
Jan 25, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crafty-reads
I really really WANTED to like this book, but I didn't care for it. The photographs are beautiful, however I found the patterns to be way to simple (like sewing a loop and a button onto a dishtowel) to much to complicated (like the pattern for the fabric outdoor tent). At least one third of the book is dedicated to clothing for women, but it has limited sizing. The section for children consists of dresses made from two rectangles...one gathered for the skirt and another sewn together to form the ...more
Wendy Darling
Oct 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, crafts
As many others have indicated, this is a very pretty book by a clearly talented designer that is unfortunately full of baffling errors. I also was surprised by the inclusion of odd content randomly inserted such as "sewing sounds" and very simple recipes, which didn't add to the book's content at all and felt very out of place. The projects also range from very simple to fairly skilled.

My full review is here:
www.handmadenews.org/article/index.ph...

And includes links to the "errata" section of
Lindsay
Oct 19, 2009 rated it liked it
I checked this book out hoping for some small projects for my re-discovered creativity and I found some really cute patterns in it. I especially liked the patterns for unique things like a makeup bag, a checkbook cover, slippers, and cute children's clothes. None of the adult patterns were very appealing to me. I'd like to try a few of the projects but I'm a bit hesitant because most of the reviews talk about pattern errors...not such a great thing for a pattern book. She also included recipes ...more
Angel
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a really fun book for people who love to sew and want some inspiration or fun projects to try. Me and my little cousin loved going through and picking out projects to try. She was even able to make one of the bags on her own. These are fairly simple and it includes patterns for the projects in the front sleeve of the book. Too bad we got this at the library so we had to trace the patterns.
I definitely recommend this especially to a hobby sewist.
MrsER
Sep 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
After reading a few reviews, I wonder if the people giving this book 5 and 4 stars actually tried any of the projects. I did. And each and every one had all kinds of flaws. Besides the many incongruities, the schematics are quite poor, and some (like Kai's shirt) are difficult to understand. I have found an Errata, but unfortunately it does not cover all that needed to be fixed. I found many blogs online with complaints about the problems people faced when trying the projects. It is surprising ...more
Amberwench
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Projects range from "I can sew a square!" to a full-on tailored shirt waist dress. Book delivers as promised: pleasant collection of weekend projects for any level of experience.
Cyndi
Feb 27, 2020 added it
Nothing really to excite me here...
Pumpkinbear
Jul 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafty-books
This book actually convinced me to make a skirt. Well, two skirts actually, but of COURSE I haven't finished one of them almost a year later, but one of these days...

I love the variety of projects available in the book, and the variety of audiences to sew for. The sizing seems a little wonky, however. My five-year-old just swims in her size small pajama pants, and her daddy's matching pajama pants are actually super wide on him, too. However, I had to add extra panels to the size large yard sale
Claire
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I thought this was the perfect book for my level of sewing experience, I have made some quilts and a few garments, but I am still learning. "Everyday Sewing" has simple patterns and more advanced. I liked that there were illustrations of each step. However, I didn't realize that there were errors in the instructions/ patterns. I started making the Trapeze Sundress, and ran into several errors, the number of pleats is not consistent across the steps of the instructions, the pleat placement is not ...more
Cynthia
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Lots of terrific ideas to play around with. This is the most visually appealing, realistic, and thoughtfully composed collection of "projects" that I've seen to date. There are a lot of children's clothing projects, which I am not personally interested in, but I understand that there is a sizable market there. As regards the complaints about inaccurate patterns, I haven't encountered any problems yet, but I did notice that the author has at least attempted to ameliorate the issue and has posted ...more
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
I'm in a fun sewing club that meets on Monday nights, and we just tackled the toiletries bag project. I think that it's going to end up looking really cute but the project instructions/pattern has already had multiple flaws - not the least of which being that it says to buy 1/8 of yard of fabric when at minimum you need a fat quarter and better to have a 1/2 yard. It gets worse from there. So we're figuring it out but it's been really frustrating.

The book itself is beautiful but I don't know
Cheryl
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sewing
I am rating this book with only 2 stars because of the information in the book, not the ideas. The final products pictured are awesome. However the patterns lack accurate information and details. The actual patterns are missing all the marking the author references in her directions, they are crudely drawn as well. The written directions are not much better with a few patterns calling for the wrong yardage and measurements. Editing and testing before this book was published must have been ...more
Taryn
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sewing
The first sewing book I got REALLY excited to buy after I started my addiction to sewing and craft blogs. What a disappointment, with the first edition riddled with typos (typos are REALLY frustrating in a sewing book where "1/2 yard fabric required" should actually be "2 yards fabric required" Argh.) For a beginning sewer, it was tremendously frustrating.
I still have yet to finish another project in the book, but I have bookmarked the publisher's "errata" page in Safari if I need to do
Michelle
Jun 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Too bad I don't have time to sew my own clothes. I can't believe my mom had time to sew clothes for me! There is more than just clothes in this--purses, bags, tents, picnic blankets and baby blankets. Gorgeous to look at!

Weekend Sewing
Anita
May 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: diy
Lots of great ideas. It's a library book so the patterns are not included. I found good info on sewing and sewing machine basics. The reviews I've read on the actual sewing projects are mostly low due to inaccuracies in the patterns and directions. I won't be buying my own copy but I've learned a few things that will help me in choosing fabrics, thread and needles. There are also good ideas for setting up a sewing area. I would recommend this book on those reasons.
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
The photography and book itself are quit lovely. The definition of "weekend sewing" is rather generous and the book isn't devoted to the kind of simple projects you might expect (a collared shirtdress??). The pattern paper is, as has been pointed out by others, a hot mess in a not-for-beginners kind of way. I did, however, learn from the toddler button-down shirt pattern that there is a neighborhood in NYC known for it's "stylish toddlers," which is delightfully disturbing.
Suzy
Jun 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: creativity, how-to
While many of these projects are not particularly new and fresh, it's nice to have so many gathered in one place. I actually traced the pattern and made the summer blouse, and it turned out pretty nice. I lengthened it to make more of a tunic or dress, with good results. As I read through the comments about this book on GoodReads, I see a lot of criticisms of the book. Personally, I think it's a fine resource, and one that I will probably be buying.
Kim
Sep 28, 2010 rated it liked it
This book makes me want to sew things and make things, but there are significant issues in the instructions. If you Google, you'll discover people's edits and corrections, which make things more plausible. The pictures are lovely, but I'm annoyed by having to double-check each project to see if the instructions are viable or not.
Rae
Jan 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Such great projects, and I was amazed at how much I learned that I didn't know before! Example: the toddler pants have instructions on how to make adjustable waist elastic. Brilliant! Also the elastic thread smocking technique that has been such a hit this year was totally foreign to me before I picked up this book.

Special plus: I own an AUTOGRAPHED COPY!!! *geeked*
Melissa
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafty-pants
Nifty book of quick and simple sewing projects. Sometimes the illustrations aren't as clear as I would like but the written instructions are very thorough (I can sew, I just don't have a lot of time to sit in one place long enough, so not having a picture doesn't really bother me). I really want to make the wrap dress, trapeze dress, and market bag.
Vicki Christensen
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the aesthetic of this book and I was pleased with the couple of patterns I tried so far: the pajama pants and the baby bloomers. A lot of the projects are things I could figure out on my own or are things that I wouldn't wear or have my kids wear so it's probably not a book I'll buy. I'm glad it is available at my library though.
Jaime David
Apr 19, 2010 rated it liked it
I love Heather Ross' fabric design and this book has some great pictures. I have made the apron,pajama pants, and baby bloomers. I have a little issue with the sizing and the errata seems to still have some issues. I bought fabric to do the pj pants based on the book and it was not enough. The illustrations are quite lovely, as to be expected.
Kimberli
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sewing, library-book
I really like the simplicity of this book for a beginner. Simple tips. Good resources (many in NYC) including some mail order resources.
Projects include: Apron, Guest-room Pillow Cases & Guest Slippers, Dop Kit, Adult Sundress, PJ pants, Baby Soakers, Child's Smocked Sundress, Boy's Button Front Shirt
Book good for Sewing level: Beginner and above
Lizzy
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
already picking out fabric to make the trapeze dress which looks like the perfect summer by the pool dress. I love that she included more adult dress patterns. most of the new books out there only seem to cater to teens and 20's
Kathryn
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
All I can say is that I have made three things from this book, and been happy with the results. Tracing the patterns do take time but the items I have made were appreciated gifts, and there are at least two more patterns I would like to try.
Leila T.
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it
So once again I've yet to attempt a project from this book, but I'm looking forward to making one of the kid's dresses for my girl. The instructions look a little complicated but the pictures are gorgeous.
Teresa
Aug 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The pros:

1) lovely photos - sunny, happy kind of photos
2) cute projects - there are some that are just too cute for words (like the little baby "kimono" shirt)

The cons:

1) hand-drawn diagrams - I'm obtuse but I can't decipher them
2) no step-by-step diagrams - again, I'm obtuse
Diana
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Darling ideas, but the instructions weren't as clear as I would have hoped. In some cases, the directions said one thing, and the photos showed another. There's an errata on Ms. Ross's website, but it does not cover everything I might hope for.
Alyssa
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sewing
Good book but needs to have line drawings of the items - there are few clear pictures of the final product - the shirt dress is actually a top and a skirt - you wouldn't guess that from the one picture used.
« previous 1 3 next »
Sewing 1 2 Feb 29, 2016 06:51PM
patterns 3 17 Oct 20, 2009 11:56AM

• Handmade Home: Simple Ways to Repurpose Old Materials into New Family Treasures
  • Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew
  • A Designer's Eye for Scrapbooking
  • One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
  • Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects
  • The Artist's Way Every Day: A Year of Creative Living
  • Doodle Stitching: Fresh  Fun Embroidery for Beginners
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques for Sewing, Applique, Embroidery, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing, plus 150 Inspired Projects from A to Z
  • Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts: An A-to-Z Guide with Detailed Instructions and Endless Inspiration
  • SOTAK Handmade: Thoughtful Patchwork Essentials for Generous Living
  • Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe
  • Kid Gloves: Nine Months of Careful Chaos
  • Sewing Happiness: A Year of Simple Projects for Living Well
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • Love at First Stitch: Demystifying Dressmaking
  • School of Sewing: Learn it. Teach it. Sew Together.
Heather Ross is an illustrator and fabric designer. She lives in New York City and the Catskill Mountains.