Start by marking “Volta” as Want to Read:
Volta

Volta

When Briony Campbell confesses to killing her boyfriend, a straightforward crime soon turns into a baffling mystery.

Haunted by demons from his past, lawyer S.J. Robin is assigned to the case. But as confusion – and the body count – rises, he’s forced to question who is guilty and who is innocent.

Can he see justice served and hold on to the woman he loves?
Published May 27th 2021 by Aurora Metro Books

To ask other readers questions about Volta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Volta

Start your review of Volta
Laura Besley
May 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
'Volta' by Nikki Dudley (Aurora Metro Books, May 2021) is a gripping page-turner. The novel is told through three perspectives: Briony - who confesses to killing her boyfriend; Mari - Briony's doctor and the person Briony confesses to; and SJ - the lawyer assigned to Briony's case.

As if the opening set-up isn't enough to whet your appetite, things are about to get a lot more complicated.

The short chapters keep the pace up and I read one third of 'Volta' in a single sitting. This is an extremel
rina dunn
Jun 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
When Briony Campbell confesses to murdering her boyfriend it all seems pretty straight forward but actually nothing is as it seems and it soon becomes a mystery.
Volta is a psychological thriller told from three different perspectives, Briony the suspected killer, Mari her psychiatrist and the person she confesses too first, and SJ her lawyer.
Nobody is who they seem and from the outside looking in it's difficult to tell who's innocent and who is guilty.
All three characters are haunted by their o
Surjit Parekh
Jun 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
My thoughts about Nikki Dudley’s brilliant nail-biting mystery thriller Volta, is just spectacular,what a magnificent suspense and story which leaves you breathless with its powerful characters that is brilliantly written and portrayed. Author Nikki Dudley’s is a talented writer,who writes straight from her heart, which is brilliantly done. Volta not only has some fascinating moments and also it is a love story, it is different from what I’ve read before. The story of Volta begins When Briony Ca ...more
Sam Ruddock
May 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Volta is a compelling page turner, a psychological thriller in which nothing is as it seems and the expectations of the genre are turned on their head. It is also, implausibly, a romance in which damaged characters try to learn to trust themselves and their hearts. Nikki Dudley writes brilliant characters and is a master of puppetry, dangling them before you only to spin them round and reveal a totally different part of them than you've seen before. This is definitely a book to keep you reading ...more
Lynda McMahon
Jun 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Gripping from the very first page. I began it just before going on holiday. I often take books away and never open them. Not this one. I finished it within two days. It was so gripping at the end that we couldn’t go out until I’d finished it! The characters are believable and often horrifying. The story twists and turns and I followed. Also very well written. The prose is intelligent and satisfying. This is the best thriller I’ve read this year. I read a lot of thrillers.
Isabelle
May 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Full of twists and turns, but with a love story for when crimes and grisly murders need some lightness!
Louise Mather
May 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Volta is a dark, suspenseful thriller which hooked me from the first page. Nikki Dudley brings together three compelling characters in the aftermath of a harrowing event. Fans of this genre will love the fast-paced short chapters, interspersed with Dudley's trademark striking imagery. It was so easy to picture this as a film or series; as the past unravels you won't want to stop reading, questioning every turn, right until the end. ...more
Amanda
May 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, mystery
this book was a page-turner. about half-way through i realized i was reading it at breakneck speed. i couldn't put it down. the author has created characters with tragic histories and assembled them together in this novel to cause all kinds of reverberations and echoes that bounce off one another to create a compelling plot. i cared for certain characters while the ones that were supposed to make my spine tingle did so. i'm writing so as not to give anything away. ...more
Nikki Dudley
Jun 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
May 02, 2021
Beth
Graham
added it
Jun 14, 2021
Nikki was born in London. She has also lived in Madrid.

Her novel, Ellipsis, is published by Sparkling Books. Her chapbook and collection are published by The Knives, Forks and Spoons Press. Her novel, Volta, won the Virginia Prize for Fiction 2020 and will be published in 2021.

She is Managing Editor of streetcake magazine and is also a freelance editor/proofreader.

News & Interviews