Start by marking “Population zero” as Want to Read:
Population zero

Population zero

Imagine a forest so dense and so filled with trees that you cannot see anything but darkness. The smell of the dead leaves, the creatures that lived there, and the stench they created.

Imagine smashed windows and abandoned satellite dishes and blocks of plaster all over the ground.

Imagine... What might the world be like if humans were suddenly to disappear?

In Population Zer
Published June 26th 2021 by Atmosphere press

To ask other readers questions about Population zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Population zero

Start your review of Population zero
Rubie Clark
Aug 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
What if we lived in a world with no sun, no light, scorching heat? Maybe ice. There is no water.
Do you think we could survive in a world like that?

Fran Lewis wrote Population Zero in a world post-Covid
This story is short, but frightening.
To hear from people who are living the nightmare of what could be.
Lewis explores the idea of if viruses were much worse such as (airborne).
And how these characters were living in these times.
Like in one chapter they lived in glass houses because the air was
Irma Fritz
Apr 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading "Population Zero" on the eve of President Biden's Climate Summit with forty world leaders. This book could not have come at a better time, and I only wish those 40 world leaders would also read it!
In "Population Zero," author Fran Lewis creates a harrowing look into a future world that may be the fate of our next generation. We have a choice and a chance, she tells us. What will we choose while there is still time? Told in disturbingly detailed scenarios of what humans might f
Jeff Bond
Jun 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fran Lewis's POPULATION ZERO is a haunting apocalyptic fable that contemplates multiple scenarios for a post-Covid world. It's a quick read but certainly not breezy. The author eschews a traditional protagonist, employing a roving-eye technique that gives the narrative an empty, eerie vibe. It's a perfect choice, and reinforces powerful themes of loss and (ir)responsibility.
The author's bleak landscapes are rendered in stark, precise prose. The book is meticulously researched and wildly imaginat
Cindy McDonald
May 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Author, Fran Lewis paints a devasting portrait of the world to come through the voices of those living the horror of what could possibly be, if we do not change. Ms. Lewis's explicit descriptions are most frightening, and her warning to all is quite clear: alter the way we behave toward one and other, and our earth or there simply will be nothing left for our children and grandchildren. This is a book that cannot, should not be ignored! ...more
Cheryl
Jul 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-read
Who would have thought, or even imagined, how we had to live in 2020 with COVID-19? Having to quarantine, wearing masks, not seeing family and/or friends outside of our own house, and the number of deaths around the world.

I have spoken to some people in the medical field and their take was that there are going to be long-term conditions like PTSD and physical ailments to those that were lucky enough to beat the virus and even luckier, to those that evaded the illness.

Some people felt that this
Joan
Jul 31, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lewis uses her imagination to encourage us to use ours. She presents us with a number of future scenes based on the way people are making current choices. Perhaps there are no more people living at all. The stench of death is everywhere. Perhaps some are still living but in strictly separated conditions. Perhaps there is no more clean air, clean water, nor even a sun.

The sketches Lewis has crafted give extreme possibilities. Much of her future imaginations flow from how people have reacted to th
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Aug 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads
Population Zero, written by Fran Lewis, is a world that feels uncomfortably familiar. That is because it is our own – set in a future of Lewis' imagining, where humans meet their (possibly likely) ending.

Close your eyes and try to imagine what the worst-case scenario would look like for this world. Or, if you prefer, pick Population Zero, as Fran Lewis strives to do the same thing.

"I am an ethereal being that is not alive but has been chosen by those above to help you, the humans, understand w
E.A.
Jun 23, 2021 rated it liked it
(I received this book free in exchange for my honest review)

My first read from this author I wasn't sure what to expect. I will say that I'm not really sure if I liked this book or not. It has a good direction and the flow and structure wasn't solid enough to fully keep my attention.

Population Zero dives into the authors mind on what it would be like for the world and it's inhabitants thew different scenarios. Each one was intriguing and posted different questions. The author did try to describ
Janelle
Aug 21, 2021 rated it liked it
This quick read definitely gives the reader something to think about. Steeped in the premise that humans are destroying our world with our irresponsible life choices & how that could potentially influence our demise (and the plants/animals we share the planet with).

A cautionary tale of what could happen to us in the future, the author provides several post-apocalyptic scenarios if we keep going the way we are now. I felt the book needed a little more fluidity and could be convoluted in some plac
Jessica Bronder
Aug 25, 2021 rated it liked it
Fran Lewis presents a very descriptive idea of what our world could look like post virus. No oxygen, no water, nothing but death all around. It is a bleak look at where our world could go. Of course, this is based after Covid and how it caused the world to end.

There were a couple things that caught my attention and made the stories drag a little. But this is a quick read, and you will get through it shortly.

If you like apocalyptic stories, you will find yourself right at home in this dark and d
Elyn
rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2021
Klang
rated it did not like it
Aug 12, 2021
Aug 25, 2021
Goodreads Librari...: Please add book cover image 2 11 Apr 25, 2021 08:33PM

• The Murderess Must Die
  • The Noise
  • Tripwire  (Jack Reacher, #3)
  • Razorblade Tears
  • Bacchanal
  • Billy Summers
  • Defiance (The Demon Hunters Book 4)
  • Ruined Sinner (Hellfire Club, #4)
  • Tell Me You Want Me
  • At First Hate (Coastal Chronicles, #2)
  • Cursed (Enchanted Gods Book 1)
  • Fated (Enchanted Gods, #2)
  • Untamed Devil (Nashville Devils #2)
  • Every Last Fear
  • The House on Sunshine Corner (The Sunshine Corner #1)
  • Eros (Contemporary Mythos, #4)
  • Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Killers for the FBI
  • My Arrogant Boss

Biography: Fran Lewis

Born in the South Bronx, I grew up with people from many ethnic backgrounds. I learned to play and work with children in my school that came from other countries and different places.
I was always over weight as a child and got picked on a lot by the other children in my class and even my teachers. I found it hard to do many of the sporting activities that my sister and cousi

News & Interviews

There's something so special about each class of debut YA authors; after all, young adult fiction is all about the hopefulness of new...