Jump to ratings and reviews

Sisters of Night and Fog

1940. In a world newly burning with war, and in spite of her American family’s wishes, Virginia decides to stay in occupied France with her French husband. She’s sure that if they keep their heads down they’ll make it through. But as the call to resist the enemy grows around her, Virginia must decide if she's willing to risk everything to help those in need.

Nineteen-year-old Violette is a crack shot with an unquenchable spirit of adventure, and she's desperate to fight the Nazis however she can. When her mother sends her to find an exiled soldier, Violette meets the man who will change her life. Then tragedy strikes, and Britain’s clandestine war organization—the Special Operations Executive—learns of Violette’s dual citizenship and adept firearm handling and starts to recruit her. But Violette is no stranger to loss and must decide whether the cost of defiance is too great a price to pay.

Set across the European theater of WWII, Sisters of Night and Fog tells the story of two women whose clandestine deeds come to a staggering halt when they are brought together at Ravensbrück concentration camp.

480 pages, Paperback

First published March 1, 2022

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Erika Robuck

11 books1,051 followers
Avid reader. Bestselling author. THE INVISIBLE WOMAN (Berkley, 2021)--about real-life superwoman of WWII, Virginia Hall--on sale now. Forthcoming novel: SISTERS OF NIGHT AND FOG--about real-life superwomen of WWII, Virginia d'Albert-Lake and Violette Szabo--releases March 1, 2022 (Berkley).

Historical fiction, short stories, and essays include: Receive Me Falling (Elysian Fields Press, 2009), Hemingway's Girl (NAL/Penguin, 2012), Call Me Zelda (NAL/Penguin, 2013), Fallen Beauty (NAL/Penguin, 2014), Grand Central: Original Stories of Postwar Love and Reunion, contributor (Berkley/Penguin, 2014), The House of Hawthorne (Penguin Random House, 2015), Author in Progress: A No-Holds-Barred Guide to What it Really Takes to Get Published, contributor (Writers Digest Books, 2016).

#Hockeystrong, a satire written as E. Robuck, was released in September of 2017 (Elysian Fields Press).

​Erika lives in Annapolis, MD with her husband, three sons, and a spunky miniature schnauzer.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
73 (2%)
1 star
22 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 360 reviews
Profile Image for MarilynW.
1,038 reviews2,574 followers
September 5, 2022
Sisters of Night and Fog by Erika Robuck

It's 1940 and American Virginia d’Albert-Lake is being urged by her husband and family to return to the United States so she can be safe from danger in war ravaged France. But Virginia has no desire to leave her husband Philippe or his family and their friends. She knows she belongs in her adopted country of France and she is not going to run away. At first Virginia and Philippe mostly watch what is happening around them, once soldier Philippe is sent home after the French army surrenders to Germany, their hearts sinking at how their country is being destroyed. But once they decide to join the Resistance and help those fighting for their freedom, they know they have done the right thing and won't be turning back.

Nineteen year old Brit Violette is fluent in French, having spent half her life in France. She meets and marries Étienne Szabo, a non-commissioned officer in the French Foreign Legion, and after a very short courtship he's back to the front line in South Africa. Violette had already wanted to be an active part of resisting the enemy and once tragedy strikes she is determined to fight for her freedom and for what was taken from her.

The story is told in alternating chapters following these two very different women. Different but dedicated and brave, once they are involved in fighting for what is right and keeping others safe, there is no holding either woman back. This time period is heartbreaking and the oppression is never ending. We follow Virginia, her husband, and others as they work to save Allied pilots and thwart the enemy, at great risk to themselves. We follow Violette as she is recruited for the SOE, and during her training and her two missions. Eventually both women are captured and suffer greatly at Ravensbrück concentration camp and other facilities.

It was an excellent choice to feature both women in this way. As France is suffering, being crushed under the German occupation, there is no escape for most of the people. But we get to see what can be done, sacrificing all to help one another, fighting from moment to moment in any way possible. These two women aren't the only heroes and I spent a lot of time after reading this story, researching many of the real people we meet. Bravery comes in all shapes and sizes, all ages, and this story introduces us to heroes and some traitors, too. Virginia and Violette were real women, real heroes and their stories are amazing.

Pub March 1st 2022

Thank you to Berkley Publishing Group and NetGalley for this ARC.
Profile Image for Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader.
2,057 reviews30k followers
March 11, 2022
I’m so grateful I finally read my first book by Erika Robuck.

Set in 1940, at the beginning of the war, American born Virginia is living with her French husband in an occupied France. Her family calls her home, but she is certain they will be fine.

Violette is nineteen and eager to fight the Nazis; it doesn’t hurt she is an expert shot. The Special Operations Executive learns of her skill and tries to recruit her into a dangerous position.

Due to their good deeds and acts of bold defiance, both women eventually find themselves at Ravensbruck concentration camp.

Virginia and Violette’s stories are true, and wow, were they ever inspiring. The story is full of tension and worry over their fates. I was in awe of the well-drawn structure of the plot and its narrative. Detailed and well-researched, this novel feels even more timely right now given what is happening in the world. When evil is all around, what choices will you make for yourself and those you love? A beautiful, heartrending story of strong women.

I received a gifted copy.

Many of my reviews can also be found on my blog: www.jennifertarheelreader.com and instagram: www.instagram.com/tarheelreader
Profile Image for Marilyn.
751 reviews198 followers
June 19, 2022
Sisters of Night and Fog: A WWII Novel by Erika Robuck was a powerful historical fiction novel that was based on true events. It was about two courageous women who were determined to resist the Nazis and help those in danger of falling into the treacherous grips of the Nazis. Virginia d’Albert-Lake was an American who fell in love with a French man and chose to remain in Nazi occupied France with her husband despite her husband’s and her own family’s urging for her to return to the safety of the United States. Nineteen year old Violette Szabo was born in England and was determined to fight the Nazis any way she could. She desperately wanted to be accepted into and be trained by the SOE. Violette was fluent in French and eventually became a SOE agent. Her husband was also French. Violette and her husband had a beautiful daughter together and Violette loved her daughter more than life itself. Erika Robuck expertly wove the stories of Virginia and Violette together. These two brave and courageous women sacrificed everything to help defeat the Nazis. They were eventually captured by the Nazis and ended up at Ravensbruck Concentration Camp where they met. Both women recognized the strength, awareness and innate abilities they both possessed. They came to admire, respect and care about each other’s survival and well being. The atrocities they witnessed were beyond anything they could have imagined. Both Virginia and Violette struggled each and every day just to survive. They were tortured, starved and ridiculed. Would these two brave and selfless women survive until the camp was liberated?

Sisters of Night and Fog was meticulously researched and so well written. It was heartbreaking as most of the stories about World War II are. These stories must be told. We can never forget the acts of defiance these brave women executed against the Nazis and how they put their lives in danger each and every time they did. I had not known about the risks these two brave women took during the war. They were true heroes. Hats off to Erika Robuck for telling their true and incredible stories. Sisters of Night and Fog was about compelling relationships, the desire to perform the duties that were required to eliminate and defeat the Nazis, sacrifice, fate, hope, survival, courage and bravery. These two brave and resilient women risked their lives during the war in the effort of saving others. Erika Robuck, master storyteller, brought these two women to life on the pages of Sisters of Night and Fog and enlightened me about their courageous acts of defiance against the Nazi regime. I look forward to reading other books by Erika Robuck. I highly recommend this book.
Profile Image for Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews.
1,032 reviews1,359 followers
March 3, 2022
We meet Virginia, an American in Paris and married to a French man.

We meet Violette, a British and French citizen who marries a French man.

Both are strong women based on real people and who want to do more for the war effort than staying home. They both want to help their country fight the Nazis.

SISTERS OF NIGHT AND FOG begins with chapters of details about Virginia and Violette. As the war rages on, we learn of what they did.

Virginia saved downed airmen, and Violette went on dangerous missions in France to help rid her beloved country of the Germans.

They both end up being arrested and sent to Ravensbruck.

You will feel the tension as we find out how the resistance carried out dangerous tasks - some successfully others not successfully.

SISTERS OF NIGHT AND FOG is well written, marvelously researched, heartbreaking, and will have you devouring every page.

You will love the two main characters and admire their strength, loyalty, and determination. 4/5

This book was given to me by the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review.
Profile Image for RoseMary Achey.
1,326 reviews
March 12, 2022
In my opinion this novel had too much build up to the climax. We follow 2 different woman living in England and France during WWII, knowing their paths must cross at some point. The writing was not terrific but not horrible. I cannot put my finger on exactly why I did not enjoy this book-I am having trouble articulating my reasons. The primary characters were extremely well developed but yet there was something nagging at me about them. Sorry, I wish I could provide a better rationale for my review-just did not care for this one.
Profile Image for Lisa.
607 reviews229 followers
February 15, 2022
A Beautiful and Captivating WWII Story of Two Courageous Women.

SUMMARY
 It's 1940, and the world is at war. Despite her American family’s wishes, Virginia d’Albert-Lake decides to stay in occupied France with her French husband. She’s sure that if they keep their heads down, they’ll survive.

Nineteen-year-old Violette Szabo has seen the Nazis’ evil up close and is desperate to fight them. But when she meets the love of her life, only for tragedy to strike, Violette is lost. She wants to fight and ultimately comes to the attention of Britain’s secret war organization—the Special Operations Executive—and she must decide just how much she’s willing to risk.

As Virginia and Violette navigate resistance, their clandestine deeds come to a staggering halt when they are brought together at Ravensbrück concentration camp.

REVIEW
Sisters of Night and Fog is a beautiful WWII novel based on the true and courageous stories of an American socialite and a British secret agent. The stories of these two determined resistance fighters were inspiring. Fans of WWII dramas will appreciate the strength of these women and the roles they actually played in real life. The book will motivate you to read more about them.

I particularly appreciated that these women’s actions relating to the resistance played a much more significant role in the book than did the horrendous time they spent in Ravensbrück.

The story is both gut-wrenching and enthralling. The writing is sophisticated, and the multiple plot lines are smartly structured. Author Erin Robuck has woven a touching tale that will be remembered long after the last page is read. Her attention to plot, structure, and timing is evident.

Robuck is the best-selling author of many books, including The Invisible Woman (2021), Hemingway’s Girl (2012), Call Me Zelda (2013), Fallen Beauty (2014), and The House of Hawthorne (2015).

Thanks to Netgalley for an advance reading copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Publisher Berkley
Published March 1, 2022
Review www.bluestockingreviews.com
Profile Image for Elise Hooper.
Author 5 books665 followers
November 4, 2021
Erika Robuck has done it again! She’s found inspiration in fascinating real-life historical figures and spun a novel that kept me turning the pages long after my bedtime. Sisters of Night and Fog is a beautifully written tribute to the brave women who risked everything for the French Resistance during World War II. I loved this book.
Profile Image for MicheleReader.
663 reviews122 followers
April 24, 2022
In her last book, Invisible Woman, author Erika Robuck wrote about Virginia Hall, who valiantly served in the British-based clandestine organization SOE (Special Operations Executive) during World War II. There were many women who exhibited incredible bravery during the war and in Sisters of Night and Fog, Robuck tells of two more - Virginia d'Albert-Lake and Violette Szabo, in this fictionalized story of two extraordinary, historical women.

American-born Virginia, married to a Frenchman, chose to remain in France to join the Resistance alongside her husband Phillipe. Violette, a high-spirited woman with a sense of adventure and motivated by loss, is recruited to serve in the SOE. Through extensive research, Robuck tells each woman’s story in alternating chapters. The lives of the two women come together when they are arrested and taken to Fresnes Prison near Paris and then are placed in Ravensbrück concentration camp in Germany.

In a crowded field of heartbreaking books that describe the efforts of brave people and what it was like to try to survive during this horrific period in history, Sisters of Night and Fog stands out because of the author’s excellent descriptive writing and the fact that these women’s stories truly happened. And their stories needed to be told. You’ll want to read more about Virginia and Violette but read the book first and do your own research after. I was greatly moved.

Rated 4.5 stars.

Review posted on MicheleReader.com.
Profile Image for Renee.
991 reviews167 followers
March 8, 2022
Powerful & Inspiring. Erika Robuck recounts the lives of real life WWII heroines in a novel that is hard to put down. Review sites would use words like "propulsive" or "riveting" to describe the entertainment value of this book. But what I appreciated the most was that the author made Violette & Virginia real to me. Their stories made me rejoice at the courage & kindnesses of ordinary folks, who step up to risk their lives for others, and broke my heart at the cost those people pay to make the world a better place. All these years later, these two women still have an inspiring impact. What a legacy! Top Pick! Highly recommend.
Profile Image for Eadle.
211 reviews3 followers
September 14, 2022
This started off slow for me and seemed like it might be a little fluffy. Wrong-o, Eadle. SISTERS OF NIGHT AND FOG’s first impression was deceiving. It gained momentum, grabbed me and didn’t let go.

The blurb reveals what will happen and leaves the when and how for the reader. It took something away till I learned the stories weren’t fiction. Knowing the two protagonists were actual people completely changed the narrative. From then on, the words became more profound, and painfully so. So much for fluffy.

The historical fiction genre is saturated with WWII stories, and yet there are authors who manage to bring us tales that stand out, educate and stick with us; stories that must be told. They bring recognition and honor to courageous people who I might never have heard of otherwise.

Violette, Virginia, I am glad to have met you. Your stories are going to stick with me.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book.
Profile Image for Christine M in Texas.
747 reviews82 followers
March 3, 2022
1940 France-American Virginia has a chance to leave as war erupts, but chooses to stay with her French husband. As things get worse, and the enemy is everywhere, she must decide to stay, leave or take part in certain activities.

Violette is 19 and wants to make her mark to fight against the Nazis. As she is tasked with finding a soldier, she meets someone who drastically changes her life. Special Operations Executive finds out Violette has dual citizenship and other skills that make her a perfect recruit. Violette must make a decision which can change her life. Is she up to the challenge?

This novel is based on real-life women in history. Mesmerizing, fascinating, and beautifully written, this is a must for Historical Fiction lovers. This is a long novel, almost 500 pages, but worth every page to tell this wonderful story.
#bookreview, #sistersofnightandfog, @erikarobuck, #berkleybooks, #stamperlady50, #bookstagram, #booksconnectus,
Profile Image for Shannon.
3,577 reviews156 followers
March 19, 2022
A WWII historical fiction novel based on the real lives of two remarkable women. This book follows Virginia d’Albert-Lake and Violette Szabo - two young women who get involved in the French Resistance, risking everything to help save lives. This book highlights just two of the many women who worked behind the scenes in the most brave and courageous ways. Highly recommended for fans of Kristin Hannah, Kristin Harmel or Kate Quinn. Much thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my advance review copy in exchange for an honest review. Great on audio too narrated by Caroline Hewitt.
Profile Image for Jean.
201 reviews20 followers
October 7, 2021
Erika Robuck is at the top of her game with SISTERS OF NIGHT AND FOG. She has her writing pen on the heart and soul of WW2 historical fiction. Her characters are deeply researched and come vividly to life on the page.

I've read a lot of WW2 novels and this one stands right up on the top of the list with the greatest ones of all time.

Not to be missed. To be cherished and reread and passed on....
Profile Image for Jeanette.
376 reviews46 followers
June 8, 2022
This is a moving story of two brave, strong women caught up and imprisoned as Political prisoners in Ravensbrück Concentration Camp during WW2.

What makes some people survive such brutality and deprivation whilst many others falter and die. Virginia D'Albert-Lake asks herself this similar question during her imprisonment.

The author centres the story on these two very different women from very different backgrounds which gives the read a strong contrast. The beginning reveals one of the women, present day, revisiting her place of torture for a special commemoration but which of the two women is not revealed until the end. The capture of the women is revealed about three quarters through the read after sharing insight into their everyday life of one calm and well off and the other wild and middle class both of which in some ways makes it all the harder to read of their imprisonment given both had so much to look forward to in their future lives.

Virginia D'Albert-Lake, an American married to a Frenchman lived a beautiful life in France, money appeared to be no object but with all of this and her own warm and secure upbringing she did not return to the United States for safety, rather she made the extraordinary decision to stay in France during the war. It seems that Virginia along with so many French citizens fell into a false sense of a reasonable life even with the occupation. However this all started to fall apart bit by bit, curfew, rationing, brutality on the streets for no reason, the resistance movement saw brutal retaliations by the Nazis along with the commencement of the genocide of Jewish persons, Virginia's reality is shattered.

Her husband Philipe was a soldier but when his company was disbanded he returned to France. As things worsened the couple along with family members started to shuttle back and forth to a country residence. However soon this was to change with Nazis arriving on their door step in the country.

At a certain point the couple realised that they just could not go on ignoring what was happening and when a relative castigated Virginia for her ignorance of events the couple started to make contact with those of the resistance that formed the Comet line. It was during one of these operations that Virginia was arrested.

Violette Szabo (nee Bushells) on the other hand was a different 'kettle of fish'. She came from a pretty ordinary English family of six children, she was the only girl and still lived at home and was in constant conflict with her father, a veteran of WW1. Given today's thinking she would probably be diagnosed with ADHD. She was wilful, daring and with a brilliant mind, as discovered by those of SOE directors. Violette could memorise details of maps and all other paraphernalia required of her, was a sharpshooter of any gun and had a strong determination to succeed. Her only problem was her bad temper, outspoken nature and the propensity to act without thinking. All of these needed to be brought into line for her to be accepted as an SOE operative. Violette spoke perfect French due to having a French mother and spending a lot of time in France. Her life opens with her having to urgently depart France for which she left to the last moment much to the annoyance of her father. After returning to England she couldn't settle knowing her everyday job would not satisfy her need to serve her country in its effort to repel Germany. There was constant friction with her father but this seemed to change when she brought home a French soldier, one who hadn't experienced family life such as her's. He found such beauty in Violette, small and feisty, a great love. He felt endeared to her family. They marry and her name becomes Szabo. Pregnancy quickly follows but Étienne is recalled for duty. Violette was recommended to SOE directors but by now she had a baby, however between her parents and best friend baby Tania was cared for.
Violette had successful missions after being parachuted into France but her luck eventually ran out and she found herself imprisoned along with Virginia.

The author looks clearly into the minds of these two women giving insight as to their reactions to their imprisonment, Violette through her SOE training becomes for those around her a true leader, she goes out of her way for everyone's welfare. She sees that Virginia through her prior soft living initially has difficulty in accepting her plight, however, later Virginia becomes mentally strong and accepts that nothing will change until DDay. With the push by the Allies, as is well documented the Nazis treatment of those in camps becomes harsher and more brutal for which is vividly described in the read.

The ending is knowing that one of these two women survived their imprisonment.
Profile Image for theliterateleprechaun.
1,083 reviews30 followers
April 30, 2022
This new-to-me author, Erika Robuck, left me gobsmacked with her ability to make Virginia d’Albert-Lake and Violette Szabo come alive for me! They are so authentically crafted and because Robuck makes readers privy to the early life of each woman, it resulted in my instant connection with them. I knew what they’d experienced and what they could have had, yet chose to set it aside to fight for freedom. After risking it all to save the lives of many, these resistance sisters, now united in adversity, have to find the strength to save themselves from the horrors of Ravensbruck concentration camp.

You may be confused for the first 100 pages or so because both women have French/English heritage and both names start with ‘V’....but hang in there.

If you are interested in meticulously researched historical fiction based on actual people and events and can handle WW2 atrocities and hardships, this is a great read.
March 17, 2022
Virginia, an American, is living a wonderful life in France. She has a gorgeous French husband, his family is amazing, and life in France is pretty much perfect and they are about to start a family. That is until their world comes crashing down. France becomes occupied by Germany in 1940 and their lives are changed forever. She hopes that if they don't attract too much attention, perhaps they will make it through unscathed. Then there's Violette, an Englishwoman, who is feisty, brave, unconventional, and fluent in French. She meets Etienne, a French soldier, and they have a fast-moving, whirlwind of a relationship that leads them to the altar to get married, but Etienne won't be around for long as the call of duty will send him to fight the Germans. Violette doesn't want to just sit back and do nothing; she desperately wants to contribute. The Special Operations Executive hears of her bravery, her ability with a firearm, and her dual citizenship, so they feel she is a perfect fit. Both Violette and Virginia find themselves helping the French Resistance and summoning a lot of courage to make it through these dark times. Erika Robuck's Sisters of Night and Fog is such a memorable and moving read about two valiant women during World War II.
Read the rest of my review here: http://www.confessionsofabookaddict.c...
Profile Image for Julie.
752 reviews62 followers
March 8, 2022
I like to think I’d be brave and strong in the face of unimaginable horror but Ms. Robuck highlights two women who were exactly that. Virginia and Violette each did their part to fight the Nazi’s but in different ways. Each take their own pain and fight to ensure that others can be safe or make it to safety. They risk their own lives for the lives of others.

I’ve been a big fan of Ms. Robuck’s books for a long time but this novel and The Invisible Woman are her finest to date. I can’t wait to read what she writes next.
Profile Image for Randi B.
121 reviews
December 27, 2022
Heavy, heartbreaking, and sobering- I am feeling so many things after reading this. If history was presented like this in school maybe I would’ve applied myself a little more.

Of course I knew WWll and the Hitler/Nazi regime was absolutely horrendous, but whenever I read individual accounts of the horrors, whew! My heart, I am so emotional right now. Man has indeed dominated man to his own harm (Ecc 8:9). Being low on provisions, hiding in such close proximity, the interrogation, torture, and labor camp scenes really hit me hard. It really made me think and honestly ask myself “Am I ready?”

As I’m reading, I’m applauding the author for bringing these characters to life and making me feel for them. As fictional characters I was sad. But let me tell you! It wasn’t until I read the authors note and references AT THE END, that I found out these were based on real people! My brain glitched, I went into shock and you could’ve pushed me over with a feather.

Violette, a fearless warrior, so young, but has faced enough to fill several lifetimes. Virginia, ride or die in human form, her loyalty was unmatched. These women right here! Of course a little razzle dazzle was added for storytelling purposes, but the bones of the story are based on truth. That’s enough for me!

Can you imagine how many peoples stories we don’t know? No disrespect to Anne Frank, a very important staple, but that’s as far as the school system goes. Sure we took a field trip or two to the Holocaust museum, but I couldn’t tell you what I learned in there. I cannot wait to welcome people like this back, hear their stories, and enjoy true peace!
(Challenge #41 C)
Profile Image for Tessa Arlen.
Author 10 books477 followers
March 15, 2022
A powerful and beautifully told novel of two real-life women in WWII who fought behind the lines in France against Nazi Germany. Erika Robuck's account of SOE agent Violette Szabo, and American French resistance fighter Virginia d'Albert-Lake is told with such great insight and compassion that I stayed up late one night to finish it. A compelling and touching story of the strength, love and enduring courage of those who struggled to overcome the malignancy of Hitler's Germany that reminds us we must never forget and that history repeats itself. My greatest take away was that in actively resisting fascist rule we are no longer terrified victims of its evil.
Profile Image for Jordan Lynch.
756 reviews7 followers
February 17, 2022
I'm of two minds regarding Sisters of Night and Fog.

On the one hand, this book features the stories of two amazing women: Virginia, an American who, along with her French husband, helps downed Allied airmen reach safety, and Violette, a spitfire British and French citizen who joins the SOE to fight against the Nazis in France. I did not initially know that these were real women, and finding that out halfway through the book did somewhat change my opinion of things. Violette's exploits seemed over-the-top, and I was a bit put off that the author was making her out to be so heroic, but it turns out the real Violette did all those things! It's still a bit crazy, but knowing her actions are factual rather than the result of the author trying to make an overly-capable, overly-brave character helped me to like the story more. Virginia is outstanding in her own right, she just posses a quieter spirit than Violette, and the number of men she was able to help guide to safety is incredible.

The two women's stories are explored in-depth, and this is where my real issue with the book lies. I found the story to be very slow. Yes, there's a lot of danger, and yes, there are plenty of nail-biting moments, but overall, I felt there were many scenes that could've been cut without sacrificing character development. It was easy for me to set down this book, and I didn't feel compelled to keep reading until about three-fourths of the way through the story. Once I discovered that Violette and Virginia were real women, I cheated a bit and looked them up, and knowing their fates made me want to see exactly how the author would handle things. By the time the women found themselves in Ravensbruck, I was glued to the page.

In the end, Sisters of Night and Fog is a fascinating read about two real historical figures who refused to let the Nazis destroy France without putting up a fight. Virginia and Violette had very different personalities, but they both loved their countrymen and their families enough to put their very lives on the line to do what was right. Although the pacing was an issue for me, this is certainly a wonderfully-written novel that will make you cry at the same time that you're cheering on the courage and tenacity of the human spirit.
8 reviews
March 13, 2022
2.5 stars, maybe. This book was slow and could have used much better editing to help the pacing. It read like the author took a Wikipedia page or two about these women and tried to flesh it out into a novel, while also throwing in other names of famous spies and resistance workers during that era to show her knowledge of the subject. Continued reading for a climax that never really materialized. I'm confused by all the 5 star ratings, but to each their own.
Profile Image for Shiloah.
Author 1 book165 followers
Read
June 16, 2022
Dnf. The writing style was grating on me. The consistent repeating of the character’s name in virtually every sentence drove me nuts.
Profile Image for Merry.
620 reviews11 followers
August 25, 2022
Sisters of Night and Fog is an amazing book about two truly amazing women. Based on the lives of Special Operations Executive (SOE) spy Violette Szabo and American Virginia d’Albert-Lake who rescues and hides downed pilots in Nazi-occupied France, this novel paints a picture of their lives in such vivid detail you feel as if you are there next to them seeing and feeling what they are seeing and feeling. Yes, Erika Robuck has done it again, creating a masterpiece.
Profile Image for Charlotte Lynn.
1,863 reviews37 followers
February 17, 2022
Sisters of Night and Fog is a story of two women thrown into WWII. One woman is American, the other woman is British, and they both are doing what they can to punish Hitler’s Army and protect those that are working against Hitler. I loved that this was based on the true story of the two women. I was in awe of the strength they showed in a time when it may have been easier to keep your head down and not get involved.

I really liked that most of the story was not about Ravensbrück . The story was more about the journey the two woman had to take to get to Ravensbrück. The two women each had their own stories to tell and I loved getting to know them separately. There was no confusion as to which character’s story was being told and when they came together in Ravensbrück is was the perfect combination of their stories. The strength both ladies showed while at Ravensbrück left no doubts that they were heroes that should be recognized for all they did to help the war efforts.

Erika Robuck is an amazing historical fiction author. I love reading WWII books and she is at the top of my must-read authors list. I will recommend this book again and again
Profile Image for Erica.
82 reviews
September 30, 2021
Sisters of Night and Fog was beautifully written story about how bravery manifests in people, especially in underrated people. The author began her work showing the lives of two very different women as Germany occupies France in WWII, and while the everyday struggles of these two women was engaging, the real beauty of the story comes when both women join the war effort. Virginia, the American married to a Frenchman, abstained from fighting the Germans, but as she sees her new country being ravished, she cannot sit by and do nothing. Her bravery grows to the point where she willingly defies the Nazis and helps soldiers escape the country. Violette, a woman with French and English blood, is desperate to return to France and destroy the German army. She is headstrong and too ambitious for her own good, but she will learn the price of war, and that resistance is not always glamorous. The book was a wonderful read and one that I will be recommending to people for a long time, It was engaging, heartwarming, heartbreaking, and beautiful.
Profile Image for Mishawn.
83 reviews
May 8, 2022
Wow!!! This book captured me from the first pages. What an impressive story of 2 women /different circumstances, but a common goal. They faced unimaginable experiences and saw the worst of humankind. Throughout it all, Courage was the word that pulled them through. This needs to be a movie!!! It is so well written 👏🏾
Profile Image for Sue .
1,588 reviews96 followers
April 2, 2022
This book has two major characters - strong women who join the Resistance to help save France from the Nazi army. They are both in constant danger of being caught and tortured but they believe in their cause and are willing to take chances to help France.

At the start of the war, Virginia refuses to take her parent's advice to come home to America but instead she decides to stay in France with her French born husband, Phillipe. He is sent home from the French Army after Germany invades France and he and Virginia decide to join the resistance. Because they have a home outside of Paris, they frequently take downed English and American pilots to their home to hid until arrangements can be made to get them back to England. They have a lot of close calls but help save many of the pilots. It was interesting that Virginia would talk to the pilots when they were in her home and find out about the current news and music from The US. She would then use that information to test the next pilot to make sure he wasn't really a Germany spy.

Violetta is only 19 but after her life is forever changed by German cruelty, vows to work diligently to help end the war. She doesn't want to leave her small daughter back in England but her urge to join the SOE is more important than anything in her life. Because she has dual citizenship in England and France she is often sent on the more difficult assignments and parachutes into France to help the local resistance operations.

The bravery of both of these women is amazing and they continue to work with the resistance until they are arrested and sent to Ravensbruck concentration camp where they meet for the first time. They struggle to stay alive while they do what they can to keep themselves and other women alive until the end of the war.

For me, one of the amazing facts about this book is that both women are based on real people. The author has done considerable research on both women and written a magnificent novel to help the world learn about these brave and resilient women.
Profile Image for Jill Anderson.
Author 4 books299 followers
May 24, 2022
Initially, I had to keep putting this book down (due to "life") so it was hard to get into the story. But once I did, I was sucked in! I kept stopping to Google more information on these women, fascinated by their story, strength, determination, and will to live, and to help others.
I love HF, and this was another great story that opened my eyes to more brave people who made a difference in the war. Amazing story, amazing research, amazing wriing! Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me a copy of this book.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 360 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.