Start by marking “Damia” as Want to Read:
Damia

Damia

(The Tower and the Hive #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  11,470 ratings  ·  198 reviews
Unquestionably the most brilliant of the Gwyn-Raven children, Damia is also the most tempestuous. Although she inherited the enormous telepathic powers of her parents, her mind is definitely her own.

Afra, who has worked closely with the Rowan over the years, falls in love with Damia at her birth. It is he who soothes her baby tantrums and helps her parents hone her
Published July 1st 1992 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 1991)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Damia
Grace
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is silly, this book isn't about Damia, it's about Afra. Which is probably the right choice as he's more interesting than she is, given he's 24 years older than she is and by the end of the book she's only 19. (Which has its own set of problems right there.)

It's a middling book. But you know, I think I've realized why this series wears on me; it's quite boring to read about hyper-privileged aristocrats who are spoilt, moody, confident of their skills and power and who never interact with the
Wealhtheow
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This book is told through the POV of the man who babysits, befriends and eventually has babies with Damia, the Rowan's psychic daughter. Boring as only McCaffrey can manage.
Tarmia
I started this series last year and am so happy to have finally read the 2nd installment! McCaffrey has created a deeply imaginative world that has all the best bits of a good sci-fi: telekinesis, telepathy, CATS, aliens, teleportation, CATS, and just enough romance and sex to mature what could have turned out to be childish, into an edgy, emotion-filled, chronicle of a Talented family's adventures.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
So. Continuing with the re-read of this series ... after choosing to re-read The Rowan as the story of some highly dysfunctional people rather than as a grand romance, I read the first sequel as the story of how their children particularly their second daughter/third child had to learn how to deal with the world and their own psionic talents. In the case of the third child ... not very well, at first. Her two older siblings had this weird sibling bond and they tended to leave her out of their ...more
Jody Ellis
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One word? Logical. Words like 'can't' were replaced with 'cannot' and the like. It was filled with curiosities and possibilities, and it was certainly entertaining. It's logical scientific almost way of writing, meant you couldn't get emotionally involved but you could be painfully curious in the world that exists in the future.

It's incredibly well laced for a series of generations to pass, and the texts ties up perfectly. It isn't boring but because it doesn't grab at your emotions there's no
Jen
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
Guilty-pleasure reading. You know it is when you open the book and the inside of the cover is coated in unicorn stickers that you put there when you were eleven.

If I were reading it for the first time now, at the age of *coughcough*, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it. As it is, I've always skimmed this book more than read it from cover-to-cover. It's not the kind of book I read for the writing itself, it's the book I read for the ideas of the characters. I've just always loved Afra and the
Hilary
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

This is my least favorite of all the Tower & Hive books, but I can't quite put my finger on the issue. (It should probably be called "Afra" too, but that's something else!) I do love the problems of dealing with Talented and gifted children!
Kathy
This review is for the audiobook. I have been reading McCaffrey series including The Tower and Hive since a teenager so I have read them a number of times. Having the audiobook narration has been excellent. Listening instead of reading made for a refreshing telling.
Karen’s Library
Not my favorite of the Pegasus, and Tower and the Hive series but still very enjoyable and comfortable. Still loving my reread of these series!
Douglas Milewski
Damia (1992) by Anne McCaffey is the sequel that nobody asked for starring characters that nobody found interesting. Then, McCaffrey expanded the story, providing us with a novel full of filler.

Inside those bound, Damia continues the family story begun in The Rowan. We meet several characters, follow the development of both their personal and professional lives, culminating in a rehashing of the original short story, "Damia." The novel is almost entirely devoid of tension, anxiety, excitement,
Sarah Sammis
Jun 21, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released
Having just read Get Off the Unicorn, Rowan's back story was pretty fresh in my head. It was probably too fresh in my mind as I found myself going from feeling bored to feeling a little icky.

The first 100 pages are basically a recap of the previous versions of the story. It's a long and drawn-out "previously on Young and the Telepathic" and a complete waste of time.

The remainder of the novel shows the Rowan as a conflicted and possibly post partum depressed mother who is overworked and trying
Meg
Sep 21, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, sf-space-opera
Not sure I'm going to be able to finish a rereading of this one. I last read this in jr high or high school, and remember quite liking the character of Afra. I still do, but there's a whole lot else about this book I don't like. The Rowan, who was a pretty good character in the last book of the series, is the stereotypical overworked mother. If the book wasn't written by a woman I'd honestly have a tough time not thinking this were some sort of criticism of working mothers. Maybe it is anyhow? ...more
Colleen
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guilty-pleasure
I've always been curiously enraptured by this book, and I think I've finally figured out why -- because it holds back certain things I would have like answered. What does it mean that mercurial Damia didn't shield when she was with her first lover, Amer? McCaffery isn't going to tell us explicitly. Want to know what Damia's birth was like? Her first few years at Augeraie, her eventual Prime tower posting? Nah, you'll get a quick sketch of an update, and LIKE IT. Thank goodness after a book of ...more
Chinook
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That rating is for the love I had for this book as a teenager. I read and reread this series. Id come home on vacation from university or Edinburgh or Seoul and reread those same old copies. They are all falling apart. Pern was my favourite, but these were a close second.

As an adult with children, its considerably harder to believe the romances. Rowans insta-love, Damias insta-father figure to lover. And like, Im married to a man ten years my senior, but its still weird that shes 19 and hes 25
Catherine
I did not love this book as much as the first time I read it some 15 years ago for a two reasons:

The first 1/3 of the book is a recap of the previous book, but from Afra's point of view. If I had read the other one some time ago, the recap might have been helpful, but because I moved straight on from the first one it was a little pointless.

The relationship between Afra and Damia was just plain weird. I tried to keep an open mind about it, but Afra had taken care of Damia like a father in the
Hanna  (lapetiteboleyn)
Yikes. Holy internalised misogyny, batman. From women needing a man to 'manage' them to the fact that no one seems to care that a man nearly twenty five years older and *her parents best friend* wants to bang a teenager. YIKES.
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree with most that this book isn't so much about Damia as it is about Afra. that being said I adore Afra and thus love this book as I have loved almost all of Anne McCaffreys books. The immense worldbuilding she accomplishes is incredible and lends itself so well to character development.
Kessily Lewel
This is the second book of the Tower and the Hive series that introduced the character Rowan to us. This book focuses on her daughter Damia. I've read this book many times since I was a teen, and I still love it. I still find new things and new perspectives each time.

Certain parts of this book has not aged well, and I think that some of the modern readers are a bit thrown off at the romance aspect of this. Afra, who is significantly older than Damia (24 years older) helps to raise her and a lot
Adrienne
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
I read this book since finishing The Rowan. The story, to me, is more about Afra than Damia. The last part, when they are on Deneb, notwithstanding, which is more about Damia than Afra.

I enjoyed the story. Ms. McCaffrey did have some troubles with ages and time-lines. She needed a more consistent editor. I am bothered that the Rowan was considered a baby at age 2-3, but her son, Jeran, was able to hold a relatively consistent conversation with Afra at age 18 months, yet another child at 18
Kathleen
A book of its time that hasnt aged as well as Id hoped..

I grew up reading Anne Macaffry and have fond memories of her work however on rereading this, I find the focus of a much older man/much younger woman pairing uncomfortable. Add in the point that he was something of a father figure to her and is quoted as starting to have feeling for her when she was as young as 14 and red flags really start going up.
The power differential in this relationship is just plan wrong and it makes reading this
Ed Avern
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: archive
Picked this up for a couple of quid at a second-hand bookshop on Charing Cross Road. Im a fan of McCaffreys Dragonriders series, so thought Id give it a whirl.

Its... well, lets be honest - its proper, old-fashioned sci-fi pulp. Pretty dubious prose, weirdly meandering story, stock characters, and some awkward sex with a surprisingly male gaze.

Aside from that...I quite enjoyed it! Certainly I had no trouble getting to the end of the book. And, actually, the worldbuilding was good. I understand
Al Philipson
I've never given 3 stars to a McCaffrey book. I usually give 5 and an occasional 4. But this one was BORING in the first half. Little talented girl growing up and getting into trouble occasionally. There's not much an author can do with something like that and I suppose McCaffrey handles it as well as anyone. I'm trying to do something similar with my current work and it's like pulling teeth, so I'll cut her some slack here because, so far, I'm not doing as well (I smell a massive rewrite coming ...more
Tjschaps
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like the first book, I did enjoy reading it.... but to a much lesser degree.

However, when Damia does something so reprehensible to another minor Talented person, that his whole career goes down the drain... and she is never punished for it... I realised that Primes are the 'Mary Sue' of Anne's mind.

I'm pretty sure mentally diminishing someone else's own Talent so that they will never work in a Tower again should have resulted in Damia having mental walls placed in her own mind so that she can't
Sam (Hissing Potatoes)
After about the 50% mark, I just skipped and skimmed the rest of the book because I couldn't take it anymore. Not even my intense teenage nostalgia for this series can make up for my experience of it now. The men CONSTANTLY meet together specifically in order to subvert Rowan's wishes, particularly as a mother. The moment I officially tapped out was when she caught her husband about to ship off their kids to ANOTHER PLANET without telling her! WTF!?!?!?! And then near the end the romance between ...more
Dina Bushrod
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patience in learning and loving can do wonders

Magnificent, it has been too long since I picked up a McCaffery book and I was so glad to realize that I had read the previous book in the series. Still amazing world building just getting better each book. Very different love relationship, although early on it was what I was hoping for. The excitement, suspense and all of the characters interactions is enough to keep you reading through the night. Well by now you know I don't do spoilers, so this is
Marianne
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gone, sci-fi, romance
A romance set in a sci-fi setting. The first quarter of this book basically retells the first book, Rowan, from the point of view of another character. And it doesn't expound on enough new territory to merit it, I think.

Once that's over, this book is largely a romance in space, which is totally fine. Enjoyed the book. Not quite as good as the first book, but felt like an okay 'girl coming of age' story.

This book leaves less completed, and once you read it, you'll feel like you need to know
Shannon
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aside from the problematic grooming of a man knowing someone from birth and falling in love with her as a teenager, the story is still interesting and Damia is both interesting and sad. McCaffrey handles Afra well, but the idea still squicks me out - its not the age difference, its that he pretty much raised his future wife. Interesting to re-read after so many years!

As a side note, I really miss the old covers. The new ones are not nearly as fun.
Angel Ludwig
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story

The conversion to kindle/e-format wasnt very smooth, though. A fair number of typos like it was scanned in and not edited quite well enough (e.g., risking instead of rising). Read this series originally many years ago, and lost these books (among many) in the last move, so glad to see they made the transition even if its a bit rough. Definitely worth ignoring those spots.
Katy
Jun 21, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The actual sci-fi plot was moderately interesting although a bit oddly paced. I especially didn't need as much longwinded rehashing of the plot of the prequel as I got.

The romance was the type I hate most! (view spoiler)
John Yelverton
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read a book that I discovered was a sequel only after I read the book. It stands completely on its own, and relays all pertinent information from the previous book in the book itself in a way the reader thinks it's first being told to them in the book they're reading. The story itself was very gripping and compelling. My only complaint was how it built the tension so slowly, and then rushed into the conclusion so fast that it felt unnatural to the story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Queen's Own (Valdemar: Arrows of the Queen #1-3)
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince, #1)
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Owlflight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #1)
  • Dragonharper: A Crossroads Adventure in the world of Anne McCaffrey's Pern
  • The Serrano Succession (The Serrano Legacy, #6-7)
  • The Serrano Connection
  • Mountain of Mars (Starship's Mage, #8)
  • Eye Spy (Valdemar: Family Spies, #2)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Snow White, Blood Red
  • The Case of the Spellbound Child (Elemental Masters, #14)
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
  • Storm Warning (Valdemar: Mage Storms #1)
  • Owlsight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #2)
  • Quadruple Duty: All or Nothing (Quadruple Duty, #2)
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High

The Tower and the Hive (5 books)
  • The Rowan (The Tower and the Hive, #1)
  • Damia's Children (The Tower and the Hive, #3)
  • Lyon's Pride (The Tower and the Hive, #4)
  • The Tower and the Hive (The Tower and the Hive, #5)